Veeky Forums talks about themselves

My dudes, I'm interested in the stories about you guys.

Has table-top roleplaying affected your life in any way? Did it help you cope with something or act as a release valve for something else? Do you think it made anyone you know worse off?

Anything from heart-warming things that occurred because you played Ryuutama to cringe worthy tales of something that totally didn't happen during a larp, please share 'em.

My first kiss was at my FLGS after a game of Kingdoms.

CoC at 10 murdered my enjoyment of horror

There's the idea of containing your powerlevel with nerdy-sort of interests.

Well Veeky Forums taught me about containing your powerlevel with personality. Can't think of a better way of describing it, but I think I used to be a funny guy jokester in a pretty annoying, even abrasive way, basically chaotic neutral character tendencies IRL. That Guy almost but not in an offensive way I think. Playing tabletop and being in that community, and perhaps Veeky Forums most of all, made me able to notice it and take a step back and look at it, and able to stop it. If I was going to put on therapist pants, I'd guess it was a desire to be liked by people by trying to be funny and wacky, but I came to realize I didn't have to try to be like anything (or at least something else) for people to like me.

All of that, and then also most of my current friends are via tabletop community.

OP here.

Simple thing, but being a bunch nerds coming from an all boys school in a third world country, playing a homebrew we made (with skill-trees and anime naming schemes) made us feel like geniuses. We were stupid, for sure, but weekends were never the same when my trap would punch the shit out of giant lobsters.

I've been playing board games and roleplaying games since high school and I'm on my last year in college. I can't seem to stop playing them and I think I like it that way.

Explain?

not tabletop but larping.
thanks to it I was able to handle social situations better, got my job through it too and met my girlfriend there.
All in all it made my life better.

As a low prep DM, learning to BS for hours on end to entertain several braindead morons I call friends has made me better at conversations, making things sound more interesting than they really are, and bullshitting things in general.

This although I like the people I play with. Mostly.

One of the sessions they all liked the most was almost all improv due to them deciding that slingshotting around the local weird warp-time anomaly was a good idea to win a race.

I lost my virginity thanks to D&D.
No, seriously. I was 16 at the time, go over to my friends house. Regularly Play D&D. Play with his younger brother and his older sister, 17. It was fun.

One day, get a call from sister inviting me over to play. Don't think much of it.

Turns out, she was the only one home. Basically grabs me by the collar into her bedroom, and we do the deed.

Did it a couple more times after that, but never actually started dating her. Later on I realized that I was basically her side-guy whenever she was bored and horny. Also realized that I was good looking enough to get a girl a year older than me.(it was a big deal in my mind at the time)

All in all, not a bad way to lose it.

I taught one of my classes how to play dnd when I taught in a behavioural school.

We used it as team building, low level academics and a reward program. One of my old students was able to set up his own game store years later.

Got roped in to CoC by brother
the gm was good
And the adventure was about being stuck in a basement of an insane cultist who turned off the lights for some shadow monster

I have been described, multiple times by different people, as "just like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory!!1!11"

I die a little inside every time this is said. Soon I will be nothing but a hollow corps, spouting inane catchphrases at random intervals.
Then the transformation shall be complete

I met my friends in college through table-top and through them the woman I loved. We all graduated and everyone but her left. I was the only local student. I made new friends in the area at the LGS and things were good. We hung out at least once a week. It was enough to keep me going.

Then she left me, a few months ago now, and my friends just don't seem to have the time for me anymore. I've tried to get people together for games I'd run or movies or anything really. But everyone is always busy or just doesn't feel like it. Maybe I'm being selfish. I know they have their own lives and all, but I just really need some human contact.

Now I spend my evenings whittling away at mold lines on the 40k army I'll never finish for an hour or two before giving up and watching YouTube until I fall asleep.

God help me Veeky Forums, I'm so lonely and it feels like it will never change.

Get Veeky Forums brah

Seriously getting in better shape, seeing our body change and hearing compliments from coworkers is a huge self esteem boost. It helped me get over 3 breakups and now I'm /out/ as well. Planning on thru-hiking the AT starting in March. Just gotta take it one step at a time

Tabletop gaming filled an interesting niche for me in my teenage young adult years. Looking back on it retrospectively, you could probably chart a table of 'check out user's current mental insecurities/issues' based on my characters during the same time frames. I think it was a decent vent for things I didn't want to talk about or didn't realize were bothing me as much as they were, but the characters as a whole were also trainwrecks of that variety you make when you're a teenager.

I am, brah. Or I'm trying at least.
I switched to a much healthier diet, I swam every day in the apartment complex's pool until they closed it on labor day. I dropped 13 pounds. I need another 25 to get to the top of my ideal weight range.
I started overeating to cope again last week but I've gotten myself back on track over the weekend. I'll get there. I just gotta figure out how to exercise in the fall and winter.

I have no idea what to do about the rest of my situation though.

Run at a park, it's free and it has a chance to talk to people doing the same. I would suggest running without headphones because you're easier for others to talk to that way

Or you could sign up at a gym and get swole

Once you have your body sorted out the rest sort of falls into place, don't listen to the >tfw no gf retards on Veeky Forums

>Once you have your body sorted out the rest sort of falls into place
This is bullshit
Getting Veeky Forums is still healthy and good on y'all for doing it, but it's not going to magically fix all other problems

It’s helped me get out of my shell, for one thing. I’m kind of an antisocial dick; I haven’t got much use for people in my day to day life and I don’t really enjoy any of the places people go to hang out. Still, I love this hobby, so I maintain enough of a social circle to pull a campaign together, which has done a lot to keep me from turning into a hermit.

For the sake of example, all my not-terrible girlfriends have been people I’ve met through this hobby. I may not have dated at all since high school without it.

I just recently started running a campaign for a father who hasn’t played since 1rst Edition D&D and his eleven year old kid. Seeing them show up to each game full of excitement is really helping me rediscover aspects of the game that I’ve really come to take for granted. They’re getting more comfortable speaking in character, and they’ve started digging into the mechanical aspects of the game more and more between games.

Of course, the tradeoff is being a ForeverGM who can always get a game together, but not necessarily the one he wants. Still, there isn’t much I’d trade it for.

No but it does a number of good things:

>increases your own confidence. I don't care what you say it's hard to have no change in confidence after losing/gaining 30 pounds of fat/muscle
>forces you to read. Getting Veeky Forums requires you to actually get learned on nutrition, and reading is always good for you. When you read more you know more, know more you're more interesting, more interesting means people talk to you
>makes you more aesthetic. Unless you're on some SUPER GAINER regimen eating 5000 calories a day to go from skinnyfat DYEL to power lifter, you're going to look better. Of course if you only do SS/GOMAD you're not going to look like zyzz but you'll look better. More attractive=easier time with people
>gives you drive and motivation. You'll feel more motivated to get other shit done. Fix that ding in your wall. Deep clean the bathroom/kitchen. Paint a room. Something, anything really
>you'll also just feel better. Eating cleanly and lifting (or cardio especially)does wonders for your mental state, I can't even put into words how or why but it does

I'm not saying that you'll go from basement dweller to Chad but there are literally no downsides. There is nothing bad that can come from getting Veeky Forums

>in high school
>kind of unpopular
>friends with cool people
>leave city
>come back years later
>hangout with old friends
>make a D&D joke
>friends ask if I have played and if I know how to
>tell them of course
>tell them I can set it all up for them
>they invite all of the popular people who hated me or disliked me to play
>they all think I'm cool now

These last couples of months have felt almost dream like. I'm playing dungeons and dragons with former popular people who would have picked on me in high school. If anything this is a testament to the impact DnD has had on popular culture that not even the normiest normies want to play it

True but it's a start, also losing weight if you are obese is just generally something you should for health's sake as it leads to unwanted shit like being at increases risk for diabetes and even cancer. Losing weight is like moving your hand away from a hot stove, you really just need to do it and you'll feel physical more relieved afterward

*now

Met my partner through MtG, who in turn is also into OSR and Gamma World. He happened to be at one of the hobby stores a city over, and we just happened to play at the same table that day. He wanted to get in touch with me after the game and hang out sometime. We hit it off from there. I didn't suspect he was that interested in me until we hooked up a few times, then it dawned on me that our get-togethers were becoming more and more like dates. A couple of weeks in, he formally asked me out. The rest is history.

Just wait until they pull the fast one on you. No real story ends well

Things will change. I went through something similar. I only felt better when I came to understand aspects of the situation over time.

With the girl, I eventually noticed that girls didn't pine for one guy- at most, they'd fuck him, and if nothing happened, they'd move on. When I looked closely at it, their concerns were always practical- fucking assholes so they don't feel bad about dumping them, marrying into money or a career man for stable childrearing. That pragmatism meant I'd never mean that much to them up front, regardless of how good I could look or how much I worked out. Meaningful relationship stuff was only going to happen over time when they'd "settled down". Once I had that, I realized it was a sure thing, just a matter of time. I stopped expecting more from them than they were willing to deliver.

With the friends, I'd been through a few changes of address, and found myself lonely that way, but I'd never looked into what I was expecting from them, what I felt missing when alone. Like you, I could entertain myself, I didn't need them for that. What I needed was empathy and peerage, and the internet works for that if you move off the public forums into private space. I still need it, and I still have to search, but I can usually find it.

As someone who's gone from fat to healthy weight but never really got fit, this is pretty interesting
I didn't have a change in confidence from it, sadly, though I had other body image issues to contend with
I doubt extra muscle would make me look much better, but I am considering getting into some light exercise for the practical fitness benefit
Consequently I can't really speak to the rest, but it seems neat, if somewhat exaggerated.
I definitely can't recall being more motivated back when I exercised regularly, for example, but it was a while ago
Health benefits were acknowledge previously, but you are of course correct.

So I should just wait to get picked up by a woman with loads of baggage from the previous assholes just so she has a provider?

That's honestly not very encouraging, mate. If that's the alternative to the present, I'm not sure the future is worth it.

But let's roll with it for a sec. I'm 27, how long do you expect I'm going to have to wait?

I used it as coping mechanism.

Now I use Veeky Forums stuff as denial mechanism so for about 4 hours, I can be someone worth calling 'human'.

Friends I met at college started an online game over a summer. This was after my parents had moved during my first year of college.

This evolved into a permanent Skype group. More games after the first. When I graduated, it took me about a year to git gud enough to land a job. A year of living in a strange city without knowing anyone or having any income with a dysfunctional family.

I don't think they saved my life but I do think they helped me stay sane and mildly functional until I could get out.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

sounds like you're having a mental and emotional block and the lack of connection is perpetuating it. you need to get fit and just go out to wherever the fuck. I know this sounds vague but you just need something to get the wheels moving.

Veeky Forums activities have helped me make and keep friends, and I often find that creating a character on paper helps me work through issues in my own life. And it makes me happy - sure, I'm not being a real writer, but I'm making good characters and having fun.

I will admit that sometimes it gets to be too much escapism, and I have met some people that I would rather not have met. I used to have depressive feelings after the fun and excitement of a session was over, and nowadays I just tend to feel aimless throughout the games I'm in. And my dad got into working with miniatures not long after I did, but with a different setting, and because of that and other smaller things it hasn't really helped bring us together like you'd expect, so there's a bit of guilt in there.

It's something I'm too invested in, and overall brings me too much happiness, for me to give up, but at the same time I know it can't be something I'll do forever, and it's not making me the better person I want to be.

introducing my friends to DnD was the biggest mistake & regret of my life but since i got back into MTG i started going out more and meeting new people it all evens out.

Few positive sides coming from this end. While I do use TRPG:s to bring forth my pools of idea-matter, I won't probably stay making tabletop games for too long. Which is a shame, because I like the medium and want to make games that unleash the most of it. Static tables and endless, over-complicated rules whittle down in front of a GM. The GM is something so unique to the medium that jumping to video game development (which, will probably be where my future is at) is hard.

I have used countless hours bordering on obsession, to create a system that takes the GM AND the player into account in the smartest way possible. I am making final strides system-side, and I am probably trying to finish my core system by the end of this year. And it's under 20 pages long..! What could take me so long with it?

I'll tell you what. Mental health problems. I'm currently on medication and soon getting back to therapy, probably about my SZPD and OCPD, latter of which has caused me to become obsessed with TRPG systems and worldbuilding. I personally don't see it as a bad thing, I realize myself that I have potential, so using that potential is nothing new to me.

But that's where SZPD comes in. I become secluded without realizing it, I can use hours on end either researching things for my games or actually creating them. Problem is that I don't stop. I literally forget to eat and socialize for long stretches of time.

What the hobby itself, being a regular GM and such, has brought me mostly anxiety. I feel fine playing, but GMing is hell for me. But I know I'm decent at it, so I can't really ignore it, especially now that I'm actually writing games rather than just homebrewing a little.

All in all, I keep contact with my friends, some almost exclusively over games, but I am not a socializing person (SZPD in a nutshell) so I don't actually care.

inb4 edgelord snowflake

I. Love. Adventure.

Urban exploration.
Camping.
Boating.

But I can't find a dungeon in real life, and I can't go fuck up horrifying abominations therein.
I can't go save a far-future utopian city from terrorists made of grey goo.
And I can only die once in real life.

For me, RPGs are the best way to get camaraderie and adventure into my life. Even if I'm the one sharing the adventure 90% of the time, I love writing stories, so it's a win.

Some people regard RPGs as an escape from real life's problems. That's okay. They can come with me.
I'm going to go because that's where I want to head next.

I know I do, but I can't seem to get those wheels moving. I try, but I just don't really have any good feelings for anything anymore. I had a great job interview for a position at a really good company and my sister is due to have her first kid this week. I should be excited, but I can't say I really care.

I don't really have a problem getting dates, I just had one last Tuesday, but I just don't feel anything stir for any of them.

I tried to make new friends at the game stores and some meetup groups but it just always feels like I'm an outsider. I'm reaching out but there's just no connection.

I just want something to spark a change. Maybe I'll start working on that Chaos Marine cosplay I've had on the back burner all year. Would be nice to have for Cons or something.

I think tabletop games are among my only reason to live. That and my one or two other autistic hobbies. Sometimes I wonder if I even enjoy them as much as I think I do. I am 22 and work part time at a shitty job, live with my parents, know how to drive but no car or license despite having over 5000 dollars saved, still a kissless virgin (girl I was talking to started ignoring me finally).

But I get excited just thinking about my campaigns, listening to music, planning the next adventure for the group. They consider me the best GM ever and it's probably because I channel a good 50% of my creative effort into my games. The other 50% is into writing stories / music for an autistic world I can't even use for RPGs because of how autistic it is.

90% of my friends play RPGs, only two don't, and RPGs were a way I connected with family through an eight year campaign I am still running (been DMing it since I was 14, it has obviously improved quite a lot since then).

If not for RPGs, I think I would actually want to die.

story?

Think of this as a cold bucket of reality to the face.

I've found every woman has the baggage all along, the assholes just reveal what was already there.

Provision-seeking is a female biological instinct found across all the animal kingdom. That, the flip side of abandonment, and the childbearing drive are the glue that make a woman stay when she would otherwise leave. You mean little else to her until you create that meaning by what you do in her life. If you don't create that meaning, or you don't have time to create it, you get used, just as assholes use women.

I got married at 26 and have been working on that relationship for 17 years, and there is meaning there, but expecting it to take on romantic storybook proportions is unlikely because there is so much more in the day-to-day that is unromantic but vital. Take the pragmatism that you use in modeling your army and apply it to how you deal with the women you meet and you'll have better results.

So far tabletop roleplaying has caused me nothing but anxiety, since I absolutely love the idea but I don't have a creative bone in my body, and am thus left unable to participate

On the other hand I paid for my first year of university with a pile of Pokemon TCG scholarships, and board games as a whole have left me more comfortable with strangers than I'd otherwise be, so I'm pretty thankful for that

You know, I always tell myself that I'd be a great adventurer if I lived in a fantasy RPG world. In reality though, I'd probably be one of those NPCs that the PCs talk to along the way, maybe for about ten minutes or so, before being completely forgotten.

OP here. Stay strong, my friends.

Can we get the story on this?

All of my friends I met through a college tabletop gaming club. We still get together for games years after we've all graduated.

First two girlfriends were from said club. Still good friends with both. Both are in my Friday D&D game.

Running aforementioned club gave me skills that landed me my current career.

Tabletop games have been good to me desu.

I like to imagine that if my back was against the wall, if there was a real need to improve and learn new skills, I would manage it. As if all I need is some sort of reason, even if it's just to survive.

I'd rather hear the story once it geys better. Every adventurer needs a resolution yeah? Can't be all down, I want to hear how it becomes great.

Exactly the same here user. I can't believe how hard I used to try...

Reality is what you make it user. Betrayal isn't always the whole story, and I always like to think that those initial feelings were genuine. And if that small happiness gets me stabbed in the back, then so be it.

Nope, just find a girl that wants to settle down. Its all luck, really.

between infighting/drama and a desire to play DnD 24/7 they pretty much ruined RPGs for me...

>one guy didn't understand what the RP in RPG stands for and is looking for an outlet since he's in that "everything is shit" phase and never wanted to spend money

> one guy is his brother who is basically "monkey see, monkey do" with him

> one guy can't make a character that isn't a psychotic murderhobo since his only experience playing RPGs prior was evil characters in games like skyrim

> one guy was pretty much a yes man for the first guy

there were 2 other guys but they weren't bad like the others and i probably would play with them again if they all weren't too chickenshit to play anything that wasn't D&D/PF

I like you. I feel the same way.

Bump for more stories

I used to be an active participant in my college's tabletop community, both the RPG and wargaming aspects, and eventually became the treasurer of the official college group. Unfortunately, the quality and quantity of attendees slowly fell, causing more people to search out alternative meetups. My fellow officers lost steam and stopped coming to meetings and in my senior year, one night I looked around and realized I was unhappy being there, the people who were there didn't contribute anything and the club had become a negative place and I was only staying out of nostalgia. So the other officers and I met and we collectively decided to shut down the club so we didn't drink ourselves to death.

I'm looking for a job now, still working on getting better at painting miniatures, and getting in a few games now and then. But because I'm currently in America's Elephant Graveyard, there's no real opportunity for /tg stuff other than 40k tournaments every other month an hour north of me. At least I've got that, and I had some really great times while the college club lasted.

Try an online group? It's not the same but it did help me when I was at my lowest.

>my trap
Elaborate, if you please

I have, twice this summer. The first was formed from people who already knew each other, besides me, so again I was the outsider. They were grad students and just lost interest after a few sessions. The second, well, half the players just didn't show up for the second and third sessions and no one but me showed for the fourth.
I tried gamefinder threads a couple times but nothing ever came out of it.

I guess my case is rare then, I am still playing with the online group years later.

Well, pretty much all the friends I have are because of it, so yeah.

I met my fiance at the flgs. We got to talking while we were painting mini's. Now, 5 years later we're balls deep into 30k.

In other areas of my life: basically my entire friend group is warhammer based and a lot of my life skills (especially related to working in groups) come from my D&D days.

Back in university, during my final years I used to run a series of one shots, teaching a number of systems from FATE to Pdq to Fiasco and beyond. It was from these I discovered I could teach people things easily, and soon I'll be starting to train as a teacher.

I love tabletop games and spend most of my free time learning about them, which has led me to become a forever GM, and I hate it. I'm the only one that roleplays and I constantly come up with great characters that never make it into game because people get burned out within a month

I constantly build army lists and theorycraft strategy for Infinity and since I have a full time job and a girlfriend I never get to play it, and when I do nobody in my circle of friends wants to go against me because I end up winning most of the time

Started netrunner, within a weekend nobody wanted to play it anymore because of the same reason

My girlfriend acts interested in my hobbies but I am 75% convinced she actually hates them and only bares them for me

My parents have confessed they think I am mentally challenged because I "spend so much time in fantasy worlds" when I am the most successful member of the family, with a plethora of degrees and certifications, a large circle of good friends and making more money than both of them combined

It's been good and bad.

Good, because it's some of the best fun I've ever had as a player and a GM. I've been able to entertain myself and others for nearly two decades now. It's made me much more creative and I can improvise well whenever one of my smart arse players pulls something out of the blue. At the very least, it's feels very rewarding to create a narrative with friends that you still all talk about years down the line.

On the bad side of things, my only two gripes with the hobby is just how time consuming it can be and to be utterly blunt, cunts. The former because as free time becomes a premium for everyone involved it becomes harder to put work into a session and to even find time to run the session itself. As for the latter, I'm currently mired in a group filled with some of the most sensitive, bitter crybullies I've ever had the indignity to suffer under. You roll well? They complain about you behind your back. You do something cool? They call you a metagaming shit. You do a good build? You're a rules-lawyer. Despite how supportive and friendly my character is to them IC'ly and in game (I built a strong support character) I still get all the shit. The sole reason I stay with these fuckwits is because...

a) It's a desperate attempt by one of my friends, the GM to try and keep us all together. We were high school friends who drifted apart. Some stepped up to the challenge of life, others never even tried and want to see only failure and others sinking to their level.

and

b) Me and the GM are pretty sure that at least one of the players will kill themselves if anything bad happens to them IC or OOC, which includes me telling them exactly what I think of them.

It's a shit state of affairs, nobody fucking likes each other, does nothing with each other and all we have in common is a love of RPGS. Despite all the passive-aggression on both ends, I'll just have to say that like everything else in life, take what you love in moderation.

I really love tabletop games, they helped me find a decent group of friends in college and I had a blast playing AdEva and Call of Cthulhu with them for a few years. I still look back on the very first game I ever DM'ed and cringe, but because my friends stuck it out, I became a great DM with fond memories from the experience.

I've been into tabletop since I was 11, and though I've spent a lot of money on it over the years it's done me a lot of good. I made my big circle of friends in starting an RPG club at the college, and we're still close friends now. I made another group of friends at the mtg club, and even got my friends and some family together at home. I even managed to get my gf into playing Space Hulk.

It's given a lot to me.

Though I was just turned down for a position at the Fantasy Flight Games Center today. I'm really fucking saddened over that.

Man, what a time. I cringe a little thinking about it, but I gotta own up to it because I do have a soft spot for him.

His name was Esal and he was born to an illustrious line of mages. Except, while the stronger magic did come from his father's side, it was a matriarchy of which his father didn't exactly fit in very well because of his dick.

His father, wanting to curry favor from the family, married and wanted to have a daughter asap. Unlucky for him, his wife could only bear him and no more children after. Not content with Esal being a boy, the father began casting a series of enchantments to try and convert him to a girl.

Before the father could castrate him, the mother intervened and basically sold him off to a mercenary captain's kid daughter so as the dad wouldn't be able to get to him.

So yeah, I played a dude who had charmingly feminine looks, wore Valkyrie armor and when his personal enchantments were off, he'd have boobs. Built to be a magic monk, who would jump inside lobsters with a knife in his mouth and wore nice hair-pieces.

>a large circle of good friends
Everything you have posted so far leads to this , and I suspect this entire post, being a lie, unless you can time stamp a handful of the plethora of degrees with your name blacked out.

Not him but you sound bitter that you don't have friends and accomplished things. Personally, I am working on my second degree right now, I have multiple certificates and I still have a lot of friends I hang out with on a weekly basis.

>Me and the GM are pretty sure that at least one of the players will kill themselves if anything bad happens to them IC or OOC, which includes me telling them exactly what I think of them.
user, you can't have sympathy for people like that, it is part of their problem. Help them help themselves, but realize it is their choice to opt out of living.
Thing is, people like that rarely have the courage to actually make that step.