GM appreciation thread

What are some little touches your dm does to improve your immersion/game experience?

He doesn't make me use coasters because they are not historically accurate. Host hates it.

My first DM, she had us play in her bed. It was really big size, and she made a blanket and pillow den for us to play under the covers in pajamas and with stuffed animals. Then after we'd take a nap together in the bed.

It only worked though because at most there was only ever 3 of us, or sometimes just me and her.

We're playing star wars: edge of the empire, and before each session, he has one of the opening crawl things as a "the story so far" and to help us get in character

>sometimes just me and her
I bet that made for interesting... roleplaying.

He always tries to do different voices and mannerisms for each character, this can range from immersive to hilarious

Saves his farts for whenever he's describing something that smells bad.

>muh
>dick

Post more

>historically accurate
Dragons, wizards, spells, magic, other worlds, other kingdoms, other languages, other species, fuck, we better stay historically accurate!

The named NPCs outside of rescue missions are memorable enough that I can remember a huge chunk of their names.

There are also enough sidequests that it's impossible to say "so what do we do now" without getting at least one option immediately thrown at you.

I also like how they don't ask for diplomacy checks so that your good argument isn't fucked by "Well user, you made a good enough argument that Miles Edgeworth would shit himself, but this die says that they're not buying what you're selling. The jury declares the party guilty and to be hanged in the morning."

And to top it off, when it's neither diplomancing or sidequesting, they're great at describing combat deaths. A personal favorite of mine was during this time when the party figured out they were going to be ambushed. My character shot one of the guys hanging from the ceiling via their spiked armor and GM goes into detail of how the arrow keeps the guy from detaching himself and he dies slowly, painfully, but happily. Rakdos are fucked up.

I think everyone should do this. It's so fun to write those!

>Dragons, wizards, spells, magic, other worlds, other kingdoms, other languages, other species
Ya'know, not everyone plays DND.

I was pretty standard fare I think, the adventure just changed to a single player focus. Usually she'd have a DMPC to help, but not always.

What more? It was always pretty straightforward and clean fun.

His NPCs have actual personality and character. He has a knack for getting us attached to them.

I am a fucking enormous history buff, I'm the fucking autistic corn guy.

Your coaster complaint is god damn retarded unless you are re-enacting battles from herodotus trying to fill in the gaps with role playing or something like that.

fucking not historically accurate. So you aren't allowed to drink water? None of your beer is pasturized, you all have diarhea the entire game, reek terribly, and are dying from plague or something?

The host hates it because not using coasters damages furniture, and guess what jackass, the kinds of furniture damaged by not using a coaster? typically fucking expensive.

if someone is willing to invite you in to their place, use a fucking coaster.

god damn child.

Adam?

>Steven /co/mblrverse
Kill yourself please

We play a lot of shadowrun and our GM usually helps up make characters that do stupid shit within the rules and then throws us situations that let us REALLY enjoy the stupidity of our characters. Also, he doesn't use a screen when he makes rolls so its just fun watching his face when he gets a ton of 1s or 6s

helps us make*

chill nigga

Made the adds a legitimate part of the boss

>Mad about a show that has legitimately interesting worldbuilding and lore
>Mad that the show has deep and complex themes involving identity and self image

It's a good show user

Different user here. The show is pretty shit but okay worldbuilding which is rare these days and outside of the occasional identity image moment is full of crap writing.

tis pure

Production values were very high. She drew us very nice data-slate maps of the planetary systems we were going to, which was super neat.

Another user here. I think that the writing is fine and creates interesting characters and situations, but will acknowledge that the show is intentionally paced in a strange way that would go against expectations. If you come to watch it for sci-fi fantasy adventure, you're going to be disappointed about half of the time. The show's fans are more interested in unravelling the world and the characters in it.

Coaster trolling is back baby!

stealing this

He buy's model's for us to use, and spends his free time hand drawing maps. His fiance says he play tests encounters, and he's fucking in-depth with his shit.

Point in case: One of our first sessions and the castle is getting invaded by kobolds with portals (Whatever). I (Half-orc cleric) rally some guards, close one of the portals, and lead them to safety before the castle comes crashing down. The other day, he sent me the character sheets for all the dudes I saved - he said I can request that one of them come help out the party if I want.

He does random cool shit too; last session he greeted each of us with three corked flasks - a blue one, orange one, and a brown one. Turns out it was just coke, lido w/ food colouring, and fanta, but it got me fucking hyped to play.

Dude's a legend.

He brings weed, snacks, and chickfriends from time to time. Not sure how he even gets any of those 3 in the first place as he's an antisocial, awkward, poorboi but damn does it make people come back.