/scg/ - Scion General

Sarcastic limericks edition.

Scion 2e is now on Kickstarter: kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg

Scion is an urban fantasy game about the adventures of the children and chosen of the old gods. You can read a a preview of the book here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view

Greco-Roman Pantheon preview: drive.google.com/file/d/0B01LwCGSbE8kZmtQNHJjd3cyRkE/view?usp=sharing

Topic of the Thread: Given how satire powers the Tuatha motif, how many sessions are you thinking an average fa/tg/uy playing one will make it before their own band turns on them?

And what motifs do you like most?

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.Veeky
droppdf.com/v/Hr48H
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F200664283%2Fscion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg%2Fposts%2F1690903

>and get them into stores!

Why scion and not WoD/CofD? I like Scion, but it is small compared to the other franchises of OP

Because they do WoD and CofD kickstarters all the time for those products too? Or do you mean wanting print runs of books rather than PoD? In which case I think it is just that most of the core books get those but none of the little side ones?

In response to the post from the last thread about the Skin Game version of Hades, I just finished reading the book (I read roughly the first two thirds before I went to sleep and then finished it when I woke up, I'm a fast reader) and you're right, I like that sort of depiction of Hades a lot, even if there isn't a whole lot of him in the book. That's the sort of thing I'd like to play.

I'll also start reading the rest of the series from the beginning, thanks for the book tip.

I've never read Dresden Files. There's so many books that I feel like I'd try to jump in then burn out very quickly.

Did you download the epub of that book though? Can you upload to a mega if so? I'm curious about their Hades.

Man, this thread is dead. Did everyone tucker temselves out from arguing or is it the wait for people to leave work?

I downloaded a PDF with gi-GANTIC text, which I then proceeded to read while on my phone. It wasn't the most comfortable but it worked. Here's the link if you're interested in at least taking a glance. Should be safe since nothing happened to either my computer or my phone: droppdf.com/v/Hr48H

I think it's worth trying to get into, I like the writing style, the first person narration, and a lot of the characters seem fairly sympathetic.

A word of warning, though, Hades in person is only in about one chapter pretty late in the book, and the conversation he's involved in spoils pretty much everything about the book if you skip straight to it.

The initial reaction to the KS and the various previews released has settled. Since there's no game to play and any play testers are locked down by NDAs, there's little else to discuss. Scion 1e is different enough and doesn't seem to be popular enough on its own to keep the thread going.

I mean, the current news is that now there's going to be a Scion LARP. Ya'll really wanna talk about how you'd want to play in a Scion LARP?

OPP owns Scion, as opposed to only licensing WoD and CofD.

>and any play testers are locked down by NDAs

I try to answer what questions I can, but its hard to know where the fuzzy line between sharing enough to get people excited and sharing too much is. Like, I think I could maybe list all the purviews and describe some of the powers in them as long as I don't cold copy the mechanics for you but I can't be sure so I don't want to cross that line.

It is actually really hard when there's arguments in here that I could help resolve, its like being thirsty and having a glass of water on the far side of a glass window.

Are the purviews all the same level of 'cool'?

One of my problems with 1st Ed Hero is that some get way more interesting powers (For example Sky gets fully fledged flight at two dots, while at the same level of Health is "make your dick stop working")

You could say it's pretty... tantalizing.

Have you thought about maybe ASKING what you can share?

It's almost as if the story of Tantalus was the origin of the word tantalize.

Yeah, did you think I didn't know that when I said it? Do you think I'd be here if I didn't know that?

Would you be able to at least answer a question I had about the mental stats? The epic physical attributes are now purviews, the epic socials are now purviews like Deception, what's up with the mental attributes? It didn't look like anyone had purviews dedicated to them.

How many 1e Loa gods are in the 2e Yoruba pantheon right now.

I'm trying to guesstimate which gods might be there and which are in the Scion Companion 2e Loa Pantheon.

>Have you thought about maybe ASKING what you can share?
I did and it boiled down to 'don't share mechanics or discuss the minutia of changing things' but Purviews blend mechanics and fluff together. So it is kind of a crapshoot. I'll try and share more usefully in the future without going too far though

None right now. There's Epic Dex, Stamina, and Strength. Several other purviews do allow mental effects, but there's no Epic Reason or something. If you're wanting a loremaster character there's a specific calling you want and then probably get Fortune or Stars or something.

Don't give us the mechanics, but tell us about them.
i.e. Tell us what they do, not how they do itl

With the purviews you already have access to in full (Or as close as full as your copy has), how does it compare to core 1e's pureview list in terms of quantity and quality?

I don't know a ton about the Orisha, and since none of my players decided to make one didn't really have to look them up. The only ones I can see for sure that I can make the mental link with is those twin gods, Kalfa and Legbu.

There's a fair few purviews, I haven't done a 1 to 1 comparison to see numbers. Magic is gone, replaced by Fortune (which is turn is pretty distinct from the Aesir only Wyrd). There's no longer a progression or any 'you must have this to fight' ones. Each purview gives you an innate power, which is often useful but not too OP, and the ability to do freeform miracles with it through your pantheon's motif.

Boons are very divine in style. There's no pissing around with 'oh look I made this one plant live without water'. There's a Fertility boon that you can use to curse or bless acres of land. Another one to do the same for entire bloodlines. Epic Strength lets you perform literally herculean feats of might. Fire can burn an enemy to a crisp or work with metaphorical fire of inspiration. All in all, I like it more. Makes people feel like mystic children of gods without having to look for trap options.

Are Avatar forms for purviews still in?

I don't know what that means since I only read 1e in a cursory manner some years ago. I'm going to assume no but it also might well be a later book thing. Or maybe it exists under a new name? What's it do?

>Kalfa and Legbu.

These are the two gods I like to make Scions for so that makes me happy that they are already in the core book.

Thanks mister.

In 1e, it was in the God book where temporary became the purview kinda. When you used it, everything was just 'describe scene'.

>Fire now has direct offensive capability at Hero level

Great, now it'll actually fit in with what people expect, while still keeping some unique stuff.

Is page count something you can share?

No, because we don't have a book. We have a lot of pure text documents without art or anything and zero fluff outside of a few scraps. I'm basically running with the 1e setting for my group. It'll be two full size RPG books though for Origins and Hero though, I'm sure.

Did they fix sample NPCs so players can't just curb stomp them?

Pretty sure it states somewhere on the KS page that they are aiming to make Hero 240pgs and Origins 120pgs.

Can't say, I don't actually log changes, but people do report back to the higher ups things needing fixing or better clarification.

I didn't look at the preview document they put out besides a cursory glance to see how much of the whole was shown, which ones were included?

I'm glad the Loa are getting back in, but who the fuck cares about the Gauls? Also,

>tfw your favorite god is too minor to ever get a write-up

Bro. Three callings, 4-6 purviews. We can do this. What's Hecate's main things? I only know her from the Midgard campaign setting in PF which isn't really likely a good introduction.

>tfw your favorite gods were both merged with others

I get it but I'm still fucking mad.

Writing up new gods is supposed to be super easy, thankfully.

It's kinda weird considering that she usually gets at least a nod in a lot of fiction as the Queen of Witches and shit

The Underworld, moon, magic, crossroads, multiple personalities like the maiden/mother/crone, but not always.

In line with the new Fate influences, I doubt NPCs have too much mechanics behind them thus time.

Hecate overlaps a lot with the actual Olympians, particularly Hermes; she's mostly involved with crossroads/boundaries, magic, poison and medicine, doggos, death. Her biggest unique thing is that she is the direct patron of basically every Greek witch ever mentioned, and she deals with ghosts, which are otherwise a footnote to Greek myth.

With the Magic purview cut, probably something like Beasts (Dog), Death, Fortune, Journeys, and possibly Moon or Health.

I think I remember something about how fatebinding in 1e triggers off of spending legend. How is it in 2e?

Callings: Sage, Liminal, a third one (Judge?)

Purviews: Beasts, Death, Illusion, Moon

is Hel still in as a goddess?

>" She was variously associated with crossroads, entrance-ways, light, magic, witchcraft, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, ghosts, necromancy, and sorcery"

Callings: Liminal, Guardian, Sage (not sure on this one)
Purviews: Moon, Fortune, Death, Helth, Fertility

I would definitely bend myth a little bit and say that she's one of the best sources fir werewolf Scions.

Sage is basically the magic Calling.

I mean the Fate RPG system.

Ah. This shit is going to get confusing in discussions.

FATE is the game engine, Fate is the in-universe construct.

Surprisingly, no. The system is called Fate, not FATE (it's not an acronym of anything). They specified this in one of the books in response to the popular misconception.

Scion would crossover insanely well with The Day After Ragnarok, come to think of it.

>tfw no Afrika Korps deserter and Scion of Sutek racing across the blasted deserts of North Africa on his Relic motorcycle, fighting serpent-horrors and trying to scavenge supplies for the good folks back in Khartoum

It's still easier to call it FATE because that's how they stylize it on the cover of every book.

So I haven't read much of Scion, but is there any way for you to be a scion of the Norns or Moriae?

You probably could, but fate deities are a complicated subject.

Same here, and since Baron Samedi is practically guaranteed, that's the 3 best Loa more or less confirmed.

The Norns (a triple goddess as one entity can probably fly)
Callings: Judge, Liminal, Sage
Purviews: Fortune, Stars, Order, Death (Wyrd is inherent in any of their Scions since it is the Norse PSP)

And I'd say that much like Artemis they probably only make chosen Scions. Though hey, maybe the two younger ones might have babies the natural way.

>who the fuck cares about the Gauls?

Excuse you, I'd play the fuck out of a Gallic Scion.

give me Angelic Pantheon or give me death

I want to smite motherfuckers as a Scion of Gabriel

Closest we'll probably get is Canaanite, but the pantheon creation details are absolutely going to get funded later today or tomorrow so that should be helpful.

Where are we on funding right now anyway?

Not saying I'm planning to play either of those but I'd like to see both a pantheon of angels and a pantheon of saints.

Just hit the LARP rules, make your own Pantheon (using the 1e Atlanteans as an example) at $165k

It was an acronym in earlier versions.

Yeah, but it isn't any longer. IIRC, for legal reasons.

>someone remembers Day After Ragnarok

Holy shit

It got a really good FATE conversion not too lomg ago.

Ah, that'd explain it. Still waiting on the Storium version myself.

Fun fact: it isn't coming. I've contacted Storium and the author and both of them blame each other, but it's gone.

>162k goal is reached
To be honest the next two after 165k are kinda meh to me, but anyway if I want to translate the setting and characters of Percy Jackson series into Scion, what should I do?

Wait for the actual rules to come out. After that, it shouldn't be hard seeing how that's the sort of thing the game's meant to handle.

>get Scion Origin
>Get Scion Hero
>Inform players you're running in the Percy Jackson universe for when they're designing PC ideas
>Run it out of the box

You don't even need to alter mechanics besides probably banning incarnate Scions, who won't even get official rules besides 'just refluff a normal one!' until God.

Well, fuck. I hope this doesn't mean Storium's going down the tubes. There's a lot of settings that I really wanna play in that weird but neat system.

I've played it and enjoyed it, and it seems popular enough. That's just one setting not working out.

They added a fun kinda Scion-ish one a month ago about romping around the various afterlives out there as everyone from normal dead folks to old gods.

I've been looking at Dionysus and I realized I wanna make a Scion of him focusing on the bringer of strange wisdom facet with the revelry coming in second. At first I was trying to think actor, but I realized today a Scion of Dionysus would be a great gonzo journalist.

If we're talking weird Theoi concepts, then I want to do a Scion of Apollo who focuses on the prophecy stuff he inherited after murdering Python (who provided the oracle at Delphi with her visions)

I kinda want to make a Scion of Pan who works on redeeming his father from being the near devil he's become.

I wasn't even really thinking of going weird with it. I work heavily in the theatre, and theatre really has its roots in worship of Dionysus. I was just kind of looking for something that wasn't just college party kid and I think I found something cool.

I also like yours.

I kind of want to find an interesting pantheon I know nothing about yet. Someone in one of these threads mentioned Persian gods coming in maybe from a stretch goal. That sounds fun. I'm also curious about what they'll do with a Slavic pantheon.

Pic related for maximum Magical Truthsaying Bastard Dionysus.

MORONAI
O
R
O
N
A
I!

do you even clean living and rice krispie treats?

Do you even graham cracker?

>this Lamanite

Once the custom pantheon rules are out, could we make a Justice League Pantheon?

The real trick is the PSP. As it is I think we can hash out the god writeups for everyone.

>Bruce, the deity of orphans

No, see their heroic identities would be their official god names. It'd be Batman.

Guardian purview for sure.

Okay I actually went to the OPP forums and saw how much the actual fucking writers were sharing on the official Ask Neall thread. I feel much more comfortable answering questions and chiming in to arguments now.

Dude, I bought the book with actual money. I don't know if I'll ever get to play it, but the setting premise is kickass.

Tell me what Purviews there are, and what they do.

Artistry, Beasts, Chaos, Darkness, Death, Deception, Earth, Epic Dexterity, Epic Stamina, Epic Strength, Death, Fertility, Fire, Forge, Fortune, Healer, Journeys, Moon, Passion, Prosperity, Order, Sky, Stars, Sun, War, Water

And of course the PSPs but fuck that. Mostly they do what you'd think they do, but Moon and Stars are definitely a bit weird. Stars has some crazy divinatory scrying stuff and Moon allows illusion magic and literal moon power of generating magic light.

My personal favorites are Fertility, whose boons aren't really super useful in combat but allow you to levy indefinite length blessings/curses on land and family lines which is super cool and frankly great for RP and doing other god shit, and Prosperity which takes an amazingly literal sense of it. One boon lets you literally poof ten grand onto your person, and anyone you give the money to through purchases or whatever gets a benefit to their business deals through it.

>Death in there twice

My bad. I literally copied that from the OPP forum and that's what I get for not typing it up by hand. Death is pretty tight though, it lets you see and summon ghosts and use the existential horror of death to compel behaviors from people.

What do Artistry, Health, and Sun do?

Artistry it lets you use your arts supernaturally well and use them to command attention and influence emotions. Basically being a bard, I guess. Health heals and shit, but you can also invert it and play at being Apollo throwing plague and entropy around like a cudgel. Sun can let you literally blind people with light or symbolically inspire people like the rising of the sun after the darkest of nights. Sun is a great one to go hand in hand with the Leader calling, I feel.

We passed 165k in the KS. Pantheon Creation doc is a go.

How do callings work?

They give access to knacks, skill dots, and play a roll in fatebinding. Knacks are the near (or literally) supernatural powers that your divine essence lets you manifest through the Callings. Fatebinding now triggers all the goddamned time, like if you roll an exceptional sux on using a knack or spend more than one or two points of legend in a scene plus a few other options, and wrap NPCs up in your legend.

What happened to the epic social and mental stats?

Most of them got folded into other purviews, while epic physical traits still have room for insane miracles I guess. Hard to represent miraculously sharp reasoning via a clear divine miracle?

Tell me what they do.