/exg/ - Exalted General

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/830716-the-underworld-peach
twitter.com/AnonBabble

looking for how to even track down a monsterance let alone destroy or steal *yours*

Has anybody homebrewed up anything for 3e's new Underworld yet, or am I going to have to make everything up if my game ever touches on it?

Scrying sorcery would be my first bet. You count as an arcane link to your own monstrance.

I think I saw a necromancy write-up and some kind of boss-ghost write-up. Nothing else I can recall

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/830716-the-underworld-peach

Praise me homie. And give the guy who wrote this all the ambrosia.

Yeah the exalt type does matter. A dawn might be able to beat gil, but a zenith could accomplish the world shaking feat of getting gil to think about someone other than himself.

Survival charms

Find ANYTHING

cecelyne

not swlihn at all

Is it bad I prefer the formatting of the leak over the release/beta?

Well, the leak had no formatting, whatsoever.

I think he meant charms. Like in the leak they were organized by affect, all the multi attack melee charms came right in a row for instance. In the actual published edition it's all by essence prerequisite

The new format seems like it'd be more useful for a real character in an active campaign, while the old format was useful for learning the charms.

So I just got caught up on keychain of creation. Does /exg/ know any other fun exalted readings they can recommend?

Kill 6 billion demons

Jukashi's Quest comics that he loves more than Keychain and us

I've been following Chorus of the Neverborn and God-Kicking Boot. The former has felt kinda boring to me lately, but overall I find it worth reading. God-Kicking Boot updates way too rarely, and isn't very far into the story, but I've liked it a lot so far. Also, as says, Kill 6 BIllion Demons is also great. It's not actually an Exalted webcomic, but it is still very relevant.

how likely is more than one monstrance to be stored in one(fortified)place?

Pretty likely.

Monstrances are of fairly limited use; half the things both Abyssals and Deathlords think/claim they can do are a total bluff.

They're basically only useful if you want to communicate/punish your Abyssal from afar or create one; for either of those you don't want to faff around with multiple distinct fortresses, security codes, groups of guards, etc.

Remember, the best way for 3 people to keep a secret is for 2 of them to be dead.

Depends on the Deathlord. Remember that there is one Monstrance for every Abyssal, and they are divided between 13 Deathlords. Some might put them all together for convenience, others might place them in different dungeons altogether. Use what fits your game the most.

abyssals can convert solars to more abyssals if captured, could an abyssal delivered to hell be killed to steal their shard for infernals under controlled conditions?(ie not just killed in a fight but somehow capturing the exaltation)

and how specifically do deathlords even recapture their shards like their book mentions?

So, 3e seems cool and all, but when do we get materials for playing non-Solar exalts? I wanna get my Sidereal on.

better question: if they CAN then why hadn't the yozi been experimenting with refitting their akumas?

so I'd guess no, something about the jade prison must have been required?
(and for that matter why only solar abyssal/infernals? throw a luner in the painbox and see what happens)

Long story short we don't know.
The other books have been in development for ages now but we're not sure how high or low on the priority poll they are. They could have been going through massive revisions or just the occasional few lines as other things are worked on. Also, the book on artifacts and wartsriders as well as the book on the realm are likely to come out before the book on the dragon blooded does. And then after that probably another setting book and the sorcery book before exigents.
Moreover, there seems to be some stuff thats slowing the devs down. Lucy i think it was made mention of them going through personal grief of some kind, maybe loss in the family who knows.
Though its been about 5 months since the core came out and about 1 and a half since miracles. Im going to be optimistic and say we still get something new before the year is out.

>abyssals can convert solars to more abyssals if captured, could an abyssal delivered to hell be killed to steal their shard for infernals under controlled conditions?
Possibly? Unlikely, though. From Hell's perspective it would be like shoving your hands into a screaming, thrashing corpse infected with any number of infinitely painful diseases in hopes of maybe recovering your dead uncle's gold ring. Better to just make do with the jewelry you have.

>and how specifically do deathlords even recapture their shards like their book mentions?
In general, they don't. It's something the Monstrance does. There was a Necromancy spell to "recapture" an Exaltation that had slipped loose of its Monstrance somehow, but that's dumb and unnecessary.

>better question: if they CAN then why hadn't the yozi been experimenting with refitting their akumas?
See above.

>(and for that matter why only solar abyssal/infernals? throw a luner in the painbox and see what happens)
I generally assume that trying to do anything to Luna's Miracle just shows it new, interesting ways to hunt and kill you.

Well, that sucks. Hope shit figures itself out, because 3e actually looks playable unlike the last two versions.

"soon"(tm)

soo...probably by the time your kids are old enough to buy them?

Well they have had a pretty good pace so far. Did miracles pretty quick after the core, some of the time was eaten up by adding in a missed charm. Also forgot to mention they did the charm cards just recently. Once they get in gear they should be able to put stuff out at a regular pace

>fun exalted readings
Hello.

Dragonblooded 3E are in playtesting, at least.

Has Jukashi actually done any more of that?

Do any martial arts use regular staffs as their weapon?

Some, like White Reaper Style can use

Is there a difference between quarterstaff and staff?
Aside from one's a stick and other's people

How would you stat Gunzosha armor in 3e /exg/? Heavy armor with an attunement bonus that lets mortals use it, with some evocations related to self-healing, flight, etc.?

So I'm playing a craftfag and I'm getting ready to pitch an artifact design to my ST for 2 dots, because I'm only Ess1 and want to have a shot at finishing this before I hit Ess3. I figured I'd like to make it a piece of bling that I can commit a couple motes to for these abilities:

- Underwater breathing
- Negation of all penalties to swimming rolls from armor, carried weight, and water current
- Protection from hazard damage resulting from water currents, depth or temperature of water

What I'm wondering is if I'm aiming too low. Or perhaps too high. How much is too much for a mere 2-dot artifact?

Discontinued.

Bureaucratic Martial arts.

Perfected Filing Style: Solar

Opportunity Employment style: Lunar

Thirsting Gains Style: Abyssal

Waves of the Fired(fire)/Flowing Documents(water)/Unyielding Regulations(earth)/ever-present management(air)/essence of paperwork(wood):Dragon Blooded

Prideful Cog style: Alchemical

Executive Meddling style: Sidereal

Fledging Startup style: Liminal

Tyrannical Efficiency style:Infernal

Changing the abyssal martial art.

Unfinished Business style.

No Exigents?

They make their own depending on what exalted them.

Do we know enough about Getimians in order to get one for them?

No, just that they have two mote pools, spiders in their spines, and a massive hate boner for fate.

At best
Free Enterprise style: Getimians.

At worst
Blasphemous Management style: Getimians

I'd probably throw a hefty mote commitment on that (10m?) for the wide protection, but for the intensity of effect, 2 dot seems a reasonable artifact to do that.

Update: The party from has shuffled around a little and gotten a new member.

>Painter of Feverish Dreams, Fiend Caste, favors SWLIHN
>Akane, Arch-Princess of the Greenflame Sea, Slayer Caste, favors Kimbery
>Gwinn, Thousand-Tooth Devourer, Scourge Caste, favors Metagaos
>Dilune, Malefactor Caste, social monster, favors Hegra

now i want a sidereal ma who's form weapon is staff

Citrine Poxes of Contagion. Lets you infect people with diseases that cause them to fall apart like a jigsaw or to dance themselves to death.

pretty sure they had that in 2.5.

That style always struck me as super lame.
Also, surely there are other styles that can be practiced with a staff? I know that Ivory Pestle Style could, but it was a Terrestrial style.

Meanwhile, tiger claws are almost universal. Makes sense, seeing as almost all Asian MAs have a staff and a sword form, and relatively few actually used bladed claws at all.

>That style always struck me as super lame.

I thought that it was conceptually cool but poorly written, but I think that about every SMA. Considering that it was on of the first SMAs written and the disease mechanics have been improved, it might make a comeback.

It was mentioned somewhere by one of the devs that the staff, despite being an iconic weapon in martial arts media, is only compatible with a handful of MA styles, and that they'd like to change that for Ex3 if they can. Technically, you could use Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Form to combine a martial art with a staff as a form weapon with one that doesn't, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Would something like hungry ghost or tiger style work with thrown weapons?

No. The Martial arts are pretty balanced towards being close combat only, barring exceptions where the style is built around a ranged weapon in the first place, or the ranged attack being restricted in some way. Adding ranged attacks to close combat charmsets just messes shit up. Fell free to switch between combat abilities though.

Night Breeze Style is the only style that really works/revolves around thrown weapons, in my experience. Even styles that claim to be ranged styles (Air Dragon Style, Wood Dragon Style) don't really have much to do that supplements ranged actions. They're more just "also you can throw chakram/shoot bows with your MA."

>Flaw of the Typhoon of Nightmares: It cannot be used to parry attacks enhanced by channeling a Virtue whose rating exceeds the Infernal's Essence. At Essence 5 or higher, the Infernal may use this Charm to block attacks enhanced by channeling a Virtue of 5 or higher, but only if they spend an additional 5 motes to do so.

Saw this in a custom charmset one of my players wants. Is it a reasonable PD flaw? Virtue channels are one of those things I've flinched away from looking closely at because they are such a hassle to keep track of. At first pass it looks OP - you become immune to entire categories of *characters* at Essence 4, since not everyone has a Virtue at 5.

If one of my players suggested that, I would say no, since as you said it's a lot more work on your part.

Minor point: that should be Imperfection of etc, not Flaw of.

Major point, I agree that it's dubious, not quite for the immunity, but for being nontactical.
Against Imperfections of Malfeas, Adorjan and Kimbery, you try to fight them in unfavored terrain (wilderness, pen them in, away from water). Against Cecelyne and TED, you try to use certain Charms that counter them (Strike Incorporeal, Holy). Against SWLIHN, you go for surprise attacks. These may not always be practical, but they're always theoretically on hand and you can do something towards those ends.

Against this proposed Imperfection of Typhoon, you... hope didn't already exhaust a resource that refreshes per fucking STORY.

office staff

As long as the power level is within the right scope, I don't mind upping the mote commitment. Thanks.

:(

we never got to see the infernal relative of marena

so what does RY in the calendar stand for?

Realm Year, which (obviously) starts with the Empress' ascension at 0.

soo... eclipse power was by far the best in 2e yeah? i mean it was still pretty good with judt core without other splats released so all you had were spirit charms, but by the end it was head and shoulders above the others... did 3e address this well? or still broken?

oathbinding ALONE was a great power. cross-splat learning ALONE was a powerful power.

if anything the errata that nerfed twilight's shield could have cut eclipses in half to cover both and not felt weak. and heres my dawn with his piddly fear aura. wtf lol

Oathbinding is still pretty sweet, but Charmshare got flipped (instead of "all but these Charms" Eclipses can only access Charms that are explicitly tagged as Eclipse-OK), and it's looking like only spirit charms will be Eclipse-OK, or at least definitely not Exalt Charms.

So, pretty throttled overall.

sure you need a tutor and pay extra xp, but that'd be like if dawns were the only ones allowed ma charms

good, that addresses my main issue with them i guess

God i hope arms lets us make artifacts with evocation trees closer to what was in the leak.

1) Probably not. The change wasn't made for physical space reasons, it was the fact that e.g. Volcano Cutter was gobbling up dozens of fire Charms that were totally unrelated to its concept, leaving other fire weapons looking anemic or redundant.

2) What do you mean "lets"? The two ways of doing Evocations had the same CHARM design, they just had different TREE design. The same Evocation would be the same under either system, it's just that the new method says "Make short, punchy trees, more like Martial Arts if they were boiled down to their flashiest Charms" while the old one was more like "Design a whole Martial Art / combat Ability"

The change was made for physical space reason, e.g Volcano Cutter had too many charms that were thematically the exact same.

No, if he makes an Adamarant/Emerald/Sapphire Evocation tree, Holden and Morke will bust into his house and shoot him in the head.

Yeah, but he'll probably be on the brink of death due to old age anyways by the time they get to it.

>abyssals can convert solars to more abyssals if captured, could an abyssal delivered to hell be killed to steal their shard for infernals under controlled conditions?(ie not just killed in a fight but somehow capturing the exaltation)
I don't see why not, though the conditions for doing so should probably be the same as they are for converting a Solar into an Abyssal.

There are charms that let any solar learn any spirit charms, so Eclipse power is just ok, not great. Oathbinding is vague and diplomatic immunity was nerfed.

Twilights won the 3e anima race

in 2e did inkmonkey add any keyword native (sidereal only) charms to the sidereal hero style?

if so where can i find a list?

and since i'm asking anyway...same question for alchemicals

The other reason it was cut was apparently trying to hugeass Evocation trees when they looked at Arms of the Chosen would be far too much work.

For the better really. The new Evocations are easily 10 times better than the ones in the leak.

Quick question; Black Claw Style mentions that it uses exclusively unarmed attacks- does that still negate the usage of brawl weapons like a cestus or the like?

Yes.

>Volcano Cutter was gobbling up dozens of fire Charms that were totally unrelated to its concept, leaving other fire weapons looking anemic or redundant.
It wouldn't really lock out those weapons from having similar Charms, would it? Evocations are basically Charms for an artifact that's important to a character's story, even if they don't fit the theme of their Exaltation, so it's to be expected that some Artifacts are similar enough to have some overlap. That's especially true if someone's Artifact is important enough to them that they invest heavily in its Evocation tree; some people might want only a few Evocations from one item, others might want to make it a major part of their skillset and explore its themes in many creative yet related ways, and the latter doesn't prevent other people from exploring differently themed artifacts in similar ways.

That said, it is good that the "default" concept of an Evocation tree is only a few Charms deep. It should be an option to make heavy use of a single Artifact, but most characters will probably rely on their own native abilities.

The real shame is the fact that you can now only use Volcano Cutters capstone Evocation once per season unless you're willing to spend time repairing the manse in between uses of it.

>unless you're willing to spend time repairing the manse in between uses of it

There's a demon for that

So. I have the EX3 book here... And the Decisive/Withering attack system looks clunky as hell.
Please tell me it isn't as slow as it seems.

2e anima mods:

solar and abyssal
eclipse/moonshadow lose cross-splat charms except for thematically appropriate spirit charms at st digression(same tutor, xp, mote rules as before)
twilights/daybreak use post errata plus crossplat charms(same rules book(and errata clarification) had for eclipse. we're just moving that here)
dawn/dusk use the errata'd fear effect and dawn fix
zeneith/midnight: zenith uses pre-errata(unnerfed damage), midnight uses errata
night/day unchanged
infernals
slayers have erratad fear effect and ability to select an additional martial art(herostyle) to learn as native learn not only infernalmonster but solarhero as keyword:native(cosmetically reskinned ofcourse)
defilers have same as my fixed twilights(errata power plus learn cross-splat charms with tutor by eclipse rules)
fiends lose all crossplat charms
malifactors use pre-errata but lose the zenith-like bonuses against holy, gaining access to the post errata power(spend five motes to gain +1 appearance and adds a single automatic success on all social attacks against demons or characters of lower essence for one scene and adds a single automatic success on any roll to sorcerously bind a demon. These effects come into play automatically once the warlock spends 11+ motes of Peripheral Essence) only inside the areas desecrated by their anima effect(no other sites of desolation, including those made by other malefactors). additionally their sites can also be destroyed by any means that would work on wyld pockets or shadowlands, not only by a priest, thats just probably the easiest).
scourges unchanged
does this work? or suck?

It's no more or less slow than any other "pile five non-passive special abilities onto your attacks and defenses, combat lasts 2-6 rounds" system. There's issues picking up the game (e.g. remembering your fucking Charms), but decisive/withering isn't that hard.

It isn't. The only hiccups I've encountered is that it's easy to forget decisive attacks don't use weapon accuracy and don't count extra attack successes on damage.

Sorry. But this /is/ still exalted afterall.

minor tweak

solar/abyssal
eclipse/moonshadow lose most of their cross-splat charms, retaining access only to thematically appropriate(splat's themes or as an ambassador) spirit charms for ecipses/moonshadows and including ghost charms for moonshadows. moonshadow diplomatic immunity does include deathlords and other abyssals.(same tutor/xp/mote rules apply)
twilights/daybreak use post errata plus crossplat charms(exact same rules book(and errata clarification) had for eclipse/moonshadow respectively. we're just moving that here)
dawn/dusk use the errata'd fear effect and dawn fix. dawns inspire fear only in enemies or bystanders who feel they have reason to fear them, instead invoking 'terrible awe' in allies/subordinates/bystanders who would have been effected (to no mechanical effect. just fluff)
zeneith/midnight: zenith uses pre-errata(unnerfed damage), midnight uses errata
night/day unchanged
infernals
slayers have erratad fear effect and learn not only infernalmonster but also solarhero as keyword:native(but green)
defilers have same as my twilights(errata power plus learn cross-splat charms with tutor by eclipse rules)
fiends lose all crossplat charms
malifactors use pre-errata but lose the zenith-like bonuses against holy, gaining access to the errata power(spend five motes to gain +1 appearance and adds a single automatic success on all social attacks against demons or characters of lower essence for one scene and adds a single automatic success on any roll to sorcerously bind a demon. These effects come into play automatically once the warlock spends 11+ motes of Peripheral Essence) only inside the areas desecrated by their anima effect(no other sites of desolation, including those of by other malefactors). additionally their sites can also be destroyed by any means that would work on wyld pockets or shadowlands, not only by a priest)
scourges unchanged

Didn't quite think that through did you? Change abyssal immunity so it applies to deathlords only when on official business from their own, otherwise it breaks everything.

But I'd leave it off, their inability to send ambassadors to each other works for their faction's apparent paralyzing inability to get fuckall done.

>"Make short, punchy trees, more like Martial Arts if they were boiled down to their flashiest Charms"
I like the idea behind the new tress but this is what confused me about excecution. Like shining ice mirror has an evocation to make people take penalties when crashed, one to raise resolve, one to make a ranged attack and one to give people extra penalties if they have some from older attacks. Wheres the one that froze a guy in place on a block? Or the one that let you move away after attacking? Or the one to redirect any essence based attack? Shorter charms could be cool but they seemed to chose the kinda lame and weak ones to stay.

I think now's a good time to play "Figure out what X would be in Exalted".

Let's start with these fellows here. If they were Exalted characters, what would they be? What best represents their skills, powers, history, and narrative role?

It's designed to combo with Single Point Shining into the Void. Penalties let you manage cap-breaking accuracy, which Single Point largely lacks. Frozen Soul Resolve is free flavor bonus to help establish the "cold, calm, and collected" personality of Shining Ice Mirror.

Cold Moon Slash is... for catching kiting faggots? I think? Void-Slicing Wind is pretty good for that too. I guess Cold Moon Slash is cheaper, since you get your wp back if you hit. Or maybe it's for when you miss with VSW and go skidding past the kiting enemy on your turn, then turn around and use Cold Moon Slash on your sword's tick to keep him from running away? I don't know.

I've been waiting for a JoJo thread for a while to ask this.

Do people really like Stardust Crusaders better than the first two arcs? Like SC was OK for me, but the style and puch of the first two were waaaay better.

Considering that decisive attacks don't take weapon accuracy into account when rolling, are heavy weapon best suited to a counterattack based build?

What's the average dick size per direction?
Do southerners have bigger dicks?

Westerners have the biggest dick since everyone in the West is homosexual

Well, whichever direction has the most sorcerers, considering that every male that can perform workings is immediately think of giving themselves an extra six inches.

scavenger lands

What would an abyssal martial art based on thrown weapons being used in and out of melee be like?

Could it be combined with "writhing blood chains" and "crypt bolt" or similar for some bad ass Doc Oc style ass kicking.

Is it just me or is the Gem of Madness hearthstone utterly fucking retarded?

> Anyone who physically attacks the bearer goes insane. This insanity takes the form of an extreme expression of the character’s dominant Virtue (or one of her highest Virtues, if her two highest Virtues have the same value). The Virtue Flaws of Solar Exalted (see Exalted, pp. 103-105) are typical examples of this type of madness.

> Exalts and other Essence users can attempt to gain partial control of the insanity (use the rules for partial control listed under the Virtue Flaws). However, gaining partial control is more difficult than with an ordinary Limit Break. Such a victim must spend two points of Willpower, and her player must succeed at a (Willpower + Essence) roll with a difficulty equal to the hearthstone bearer’s Essence. If this roll fails, the victim cannot control the insanity unless she repeats the Willpower expenditure and her player rolls again.

> This insanity lasts between one scene and one day, as listed in the description.

No keyword, no cost to use, and victims can only *attempt* to *partially* resist at a *surcharge*.

And of course the whole issue of trying to balance around THE FUCKING LIMIT BREAK MECHANICS, which vary from "no change, keeps attacking" to "goes off and has an orgy the rest of the day".

I'd blame 2e, but they kept the limit breaks in 3e and I wouldn't put it past them to reprint the hearthstone and be equally lazy about referring to limit break mechanics that really shouldn't be used this way.

Yeah, that's pretty fucking retarded, but also depends on the opponent having a Virtue Flaw that doesn't involve flying into a rage and killing the nearest person, so that makes it double retarded.

It won't be printed because A) it's a retarded hearthstone B) virtues are gone in Ex3 C) the ST decides your limit flaw at 10 limit in Ex3 D) Hearthstones have been massively overhauled for Ex3, they're no longer low cholesterol materia.

Also, keywords for hearthsones are new to Ex3.