Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

What's your current party composition? If you have more than one, tell us all of them!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/spellthief/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tiny size and flight speed at 1st level adds so much fuckery to the game, I'm pretty sure it's badwrongfun. Either way I didn't personally find anything that sounded like a fairy under the 3pp races on the srd.

I have a feeling it won't last for very long.

Stalker, Paladin, Beguiler, Witch.

Party 1
Wizard, Psion, Stalker, Oracle.
Only one has positive strength. A door almost stopped the party because the Oracle with positive strength was busy.

Party 2
Aegis, Psychic Warrior, Oracle, Ranged Fighter.
We really need magic.

Party 3
Warder, Gunslinger, Samurai, Sorcerer, Psion.
Psion is NPC
DM is set out to kill us and has failed many times so far.

I think I see what you mean.. But I feel like the pathfinder feel is pretty strong still. The classes and archetypes are all still there, and we're just making the feats complement those classes more, in my opinion.

The Ward Witch, for example, took Ward from a fire and forget hex buff that's kinda underwhelming, and turned it into a core class feature that she spent entire combats managing, by spending literally all of her feats on it.

And I still get to use all the bestiaries of Less Work for Me goodness.

I feel like it's Pathfinder, with complexity moved away from character creation, and towards combat options.

But fair, a lot has changed. Veeery homebrewed.

>GM gives us mythic tiers because he wants to run "epic shit and stuff"
>Complains we're stronger now

It's a Sorcerer, Ranger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Witch (think he's gone tho), URogue, Cleric and Alchemist

All are new except me, and I'm the DM. It's usually 5-6 that are present, so this is not as horrifying as it sounds. I'm still going to try to get all 8 to show up next week though and I'm going to have them participating in a big faire all split up and mucking about with a whole bunch of nobles and NPCs and competitors.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question:

>no party beacue I have nobody to play anything but Dungeon World with

;_;

> Guided is intended for Melee only
Why? There isn't some WIS to hit/damage for range already, is there?

It'll be a level 6 Druid so it should be fine

My party has been in considerable flux the past session.

They started off Human Cavalier, Android Gladiator (Some 3rd party thing), Tiefling Geisha Bard and finally, Aasimar Cleric.

That was one session ago.
Now we have Human Barbarian, Drow Inquisitor, Hobgoblin Witch and the Aasimar is the only one who hasn't changed.

Level one is a brutal place to be.

Diviner Wizard (me), Spear dancing style U.Rogue, Esoteric Magus, Intimidate-focus Vigilante with 2 damnation feats, A Startoss style Swashbuckler.

I told my GM that running a pirate theme campaign would get similar characters and now he's upset that nobody is a "healer". I had to fight hard just to get wizards to seem normal on a pirate ship.

Party 1:
Vivisectionist/Zweihander Sentiner/Avant Guard/Elditch Archer Hexcrafter Magus

We are all the INT.
We have no WIS and CHA in the party.
Used to have a face Inquisitor who covered both those roles but they left.

Most combat involves warder, alchemist and astral construct mob rushing enemies while the magus and kineticist say that everyone's getting in the way of a clear shot.

Party 2:
Feyspeaker Druid/White Mage Arcanist/Myrmidon Fighter/Night Terror Vigilante/Knight Disciple Paladin/Telepath Psion(Maybe)

Game starts this weekend! Lots of hype.
We'll see who makes it out of rusty dagger shanktown alive.

Yo, just a reminder to everyone that the Vigilante playtest ends next monday, so why not check it out?

user. Say NO to the next person who walks up to your table.

My group is teetering on dissolution because the GM is terrible, and is specifically trying to prevent the main gm from starting up a 5e campaign with the group

But the Vigilante has been out for months, silly! Really what are you talking about though

The legendary vigilantes playtest in the OP that Legendary Games and myself are running. More specifically, the Legendary Villains: Vigilantes playtest, although there's enough content for other books in there that it's kind of a hodgepodge at this point.

Party composition for the upcoming game this sunday is:

>Human Warder (Zweihander Sentinel)
>Human Vigilante (Warlock+archetype maneuver progression)
>Tengu Life Shaman (True Silvered Throne)
> Elven Warder (Hawkguard)

Pretty hype so far.

Oh, cool. Vigilante is one of my favourite classes, good luck with the playtest.

Internal Alchemist/Contender Brawler//Brutal Slayer Stalker and Rubato Bard//Unchained Swashbuckler

>tfw no players

Wizard (Diviner), Wizard (Spell Sage) planning to go Eldritch Knight, Arcanist (Collegiate Initiate), Oracle (Spirit Guide) and a Witch (Beast-Bonded).

-Dhampir Vigilante in charge of ironic edginess
-Catfolk Rogue in charge of being ironic furry
-Half-Drow Inquisitor in charge of ironic cliches
-Dhampir Magus in charge of being sincerely cringeworthy and easily offended by mockery
-Tiefling Alchemis in charge of actual original content

We've only gotten like a half session in (character creation and all that), but it's looking to be a good time.

You guys sure do like your 9th level casters.

How do you/your gm balance your campaigns, /pfg/?

Hey guys, I am currently running a Kingmaker game and one of the players found a 3rd party class from Giantitp that he really wanted to play.

I have never allowed or used 3rd party classes before and I have very little knowledge in the way of determining class balance so I was curious if any of you have used it before or have any thoughts on it.

The rest of the party is a Skald, Slayer and Paladin, 20pt buy.

He went through and re formatted it and made it into a PDF for me because the one on giantitp looks like ass.

After a while there comes a point where irony is lame, trite and possibly trying to play the trope straight.

Kind of like how we have more anime "making fun of" a genre rather than being part of that genre itself.

I wing it

That's stupidly gimmick-y, and stupidly overpowered if you have a lot of caster enemies. Don't allow it for both reasons.

Is this a worse hell than only having PF games to play?

Yes.

Only having PF games to play but they're all bad.

Why bother playing anything else?

Try and compare it to the Spellthief from Complete Adventurer, which it is very likely to be based on:
alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/spellthief/index.html

Spellthief was widely regarded as a weak class in 3.5, FYI.

One throws higher level stuff at us constantly surrounded by guard mooks.
One just keeps adding enemies to the encounter until we have enough.
The last one complains that we are overpowered and does nothing about it.

I ask my players to make a new character.

I've only had to do this once because someone had rolled a Summoner, and neither of us really understood the rules.

I also give class levels to monsters. Some examples are two kapoacinths (sea gargoyles) with Ranger levels that the party had to burn hero points to kill.

I haven't had time to run a new campaign, so I can't use the NPC initiators I've written up. I give them non-damaging counters.

I also wing it.

Because most of the other classes are fun.

God, people like you make me realize why people who play tanks or martial types are appreciated or even seen as unusual.

There was a similar one back in the 3rd edition book Complete Adventurer. It looks like they took that class and then turned it up to 11.

Personally, I would not let your player use it.

I... don't really know? Dungeon World isn't THAT bad. It's an abortion of PbtA rules which are really fun by themselves, but you can still beat the system into submission and enjoy yourself with friends. It's more that I just want something different and more crunchy for a change.

Itll assrape badly designed encounters and be bad most of the time otherwise. Should be fine, honestly. If he wants it, I'd allow it.

>Because most of the other classes are fun.

>playing Pathfinder for fun.

I play Pathfinder for fun, you got a problem with that you doofus? I'll ding dong frick you up.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill doublecheck over the 3.5 one and maybe just see if he wants to play that one. Seems like an interesting concept to say the least.

Yeah, you heckin' show 'em!

So guys

How many of you want non-magical weapon modifications? Like, superior grips, hardened blades, nails pushed through the head of a club, iron reinforcements, brass filligree, stuff like that? I'm tempted to make a document that lists this stuff out, just for the sake of listing it out, and what potential benefits each one might have.

Check out the sandman archetype for the bard, friendo.

Brass filigree is just there for show, you know.

Other than that I kinda like the idea, but it would only really work for low-fantasy campaigns I think.

You better include "qualities" of steel, a castle-forged blade should do better than something made by a blacksmith in some village.

Yes.

>Handled a 5th level char
>Everything is already picked...and awfully picked (for example can make 7 AoOs but has nothing to spend them)
>5th level feat slot free for me to choose something
>Don't want to pick Imp Trip because I get that at 6th level for free from my class
What should I pick? Is step up decent? 1pp only

Hmm... I don't have work for the next two days, and I've been hanging around pfg all day....

If I was to say, "Level 3, 25 pt buy, go crazy, any 1pp, 3pp, or homebrew you want, just make sure everything is linked to or fully explained on your CS. Describe the setting/adventure you'd like, for example, Multiverse Highschool Zombie Survival or Epic Fantasy Socio-Political Intrique, and I'll start a roll20 campaign once I have 3-4 players." How fast would I get those characters?

My Specialty as a GM: Individual story arcs, where players don't form a party, but just all do their own things in a shared space, occasionally crossing paths/swords.

Take Squire and roll a character you want to play instead

Tell us more about this pre-made character.

It sounds like a monk.

What's the character? Step Up is only useful if you're threatening enough to both force enemies to move away from you and find it worth it enough to move after them, or if you're fighting Casters or ranged-types.

Timezone?

Yeah, I was thinking, instead of alllll of these different qualities of historical steel, just have three broad "categories" of quality: Standard, High, and Low. Standard quality is what is described in the weapon's description. Low quality is stuff like- the steel has too much carbon, the blade is misshapen, something like that.High quality is stuff like- damascus steel, some of the more modern steels that outclass everything used historically. That sound about right to you?

Nigga you'd have hundreds lining up for it.

>My Specialty as a GM: Individual story arcs, where players don't form a party, but just all do their own things in a shared space, occasionally crossing paths/swords.

Jesus Christ I love that sort of stuff.

If you bumped it to level 7 so we're semi-famous and can hear about the exploits of other players I'd squeal like a schoolgirl, especially if Mythic or gestalt was implied. Fuck our shit up Senpai.

As for the setting or adventure... How about something set during a fantasy equivalent of the 30 Years War, or in a city-state in the Not!HRE?

>That sound about right to you?

Sounds good to me, if you want "legendary" steel produced using modern techniques, just enchant some Electrodes with lightning elementals and produce modern-quality steel using a fantasy Electric Arc Furnace.

Bruh

Epic Journey Through Fantasy Lands (whether it's caravan or the Fellowship of the Ring). Finding yourself during it optional.

Kek

I'll probably have a sidebar for stuff like that. Implement modern steel as a sort of "Special Material" like adamantine or mithral, make it somewhat less expensive, but grant it lotsa hitpoints and a bonus to hardness so that it's more durable.

It's monk
Dex monk with 22 Dex
Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Combat Expertise

Strike style is Elbow Smash together with Dex build seems that unarmed attacks are the best approach with this

If it's not significantly buffed from 3.5, it might be kind of miserable. It's VERY dependent on what the DM gives you. If you don't trust the random GitP poster I would still consider adjusting something of your own to make it more independent.

Modern steel should be hard to set up the equipment for, but produce large amounts of cheap, high-quality steel. Consider it a way for a player to become filthy rich setting up an Ironworks or Steel Foundry.

Also, maybe modern steel produced in an EAF is easier to enchant, since it was produced while soaked in magic thus making it very faintly magical already.

Regular, or Unchained?

Is 3PP allowed?

What is the rest of the party?

Can you tell us more about the campaign?

That's possible. Maybe make it so that you have a small discount on adding the first enchantment? Maybe a 10% discount or such? That seems fairly balanced off the top of my head.

Timezone? I'm midwest US, but, for the next three days, I have nothing better to do but roleplay online. 3 day midweekend, so to speak. I'll be playing Mordheim in about 52 hours, but that's the first thing I can't schedule around.

I generally like to reduce the implied power level of NPCs, so that like, the most elite of elite military units with unnamed characters Knights would be like, level 2-3 at highest. Level 3 would be plenty mover and shaker unless we set it in a very high magic setting.

That said, if everyone wanted to be higher level/gestalt, I wouldn't mind. 7 would be my upper limit though. The whole individual story arcs thing becomes a bit too overwhelming when full casters start hitting power spikes.

Also, HRE?

Well, if you want to pastebin or mythweavers or herolab link me a character sheet, I can get started.

Basically, I'll be meshing any of the settings desired by character sheets I accept.

>Dodge
>Combat expertise

I barfed a little

I thought that after mentioning Strike Style: Elbow Smash it would be clear it's an Unchained. Also 1pp only, already mentioned in my first post.

Rest are an unoptimized as fuck Rogue/Bard who has now idea what he's doing, and an average 2hd Barbarian (no totems as far as I know).

>Also, HRE?

The Holy Roman Empire, a sprawling realm ran by an Emperor elected through the voting of a Diet comprised of Elector-Princes, who themselves are chosen based on the perceived strength and authority of their lands.

The Holy Roman Empire had Kingdoms, Duchies, Magravates (militarized border provinces) and Imperial Cities, which were free-ruling cities who answered only to the Emperor. All of them would fight, squabble and wage war upon the other in hopes of becoming influential enough to become an Elector-Prince (or an even more powerful Elector-Prince) and thus get a shot at becoming Emperor, or a shot at being the main voice in determining who does.

Be careful that you don't make a system that encourages players to go medieval version of tacticool, with all sorts of doodads attached all over their weapons for their inexpensive +1s to stuff.

Seems the character belonged to another player who left the game because he moved to another city, also seems these three chars are superimportant for the plot and that's why I can't reroll.

That's just bad writing, it'll also mean that you're not allowed to DIE.

Ask to retrain those feats for better things. GM should let you since you had the character plop into your lap

Are you familiar with Planescape? If so, is it a setting you enjoy? Are you interested in any other planar settings or plane-hopping adventures?

This is true. At most, I'll probably just limit the amount of modifications you can have to your weapon, or have attachment "slots" that function similarly to wondrous item slots. Depending on the type of weapon, you might have different slots. This would also allow for "legendary modifications" so to speak.

How does about three attachment slots sound? Handle, Blade/Head, and Miscellaneous?

we Fallout 4 now

I believe the d20 black company supplement had something like that in the form of mastercraft weapons.

kekel my shekels you're right

>Joined a biweekly campaign

I'll admit, I'm not familiar with Planescape. I started the DnD train back in 3.0, but by the time me and my friends started doing more than the core rules and traversing a randomly generated dungeon, we had moved to Pathfinder.

So, describe what you think the core elements to Planescape are thematically (not world specifically), because it'll be tied to 2-3 other concepts.

Pretty nifty.

Hold up, what about a campaign set during a Crusade or even mass migration? Political intrigue, mass combat, land ownership and freaky hookups will not only be viable, they'd be encouraged.

It would be like combining the best aspects of Wrath of the Righteous, Curse of the Crimson Throne and Kingmaker.

We Crusader Kings now.

Hmmm... I like that idea, and it works well with several of the others suggested.

How many of the people who made said suggestions will actually have time to make a character and play is another question though.

so i am about to start a character that is basically kobold kevin mcallister.

are there any rules for what caltrops do if you fall onto or roll around in them? I was thinking of rigging firetraps in areas filled with caltrops or broken glass to make stop drop and roll unpleasant, or putting tripwires among caltrops for similar reasons.

other ideas include greasing or littering marbles on stairs, putting camoflaged covers over shallow holes in floor that hide some nasty surprise

I have like a +14 to craft trapmaking, and want to really push it to the limit

We can't make characters until we know more about the setting, tone and campaign, Senpai.

A character built to go on Crusades will be quite different than one built to fight for lord and land in Not!William's Invasion of England or even the Not!Hundred Year's War.

Throw Planescape into the mix and you've got a very wide range of possibilities.

>the vigilante is the perfect chassis for throwing archetype ideas at since it's such a versatile, modular class
>mfw so many archetypes already in the works for it already, 1pp and 3pp
>mfw not a single one of them gives you an Oracle Curse+Mystery+Spont Divine Casting

I feel an idea brewing, but will it blend?

The love for the vigilante just makes me remember the days we used to casually mock the class, calling it worthless and very niche.

The class's core concept (masked superhero in pathfinder) is completely retarded, but the class itself somehow ended up amazing. It still makes no sense how it ended up like this when paizo fucks up things that should be really simple to make.

Swashbuckler has no reason to be as shit as it is, it's such a fucking simple concept HOW CAN YOU FUCK THIS UP YOU IDIOTS.

Well, let's tally up current suggestions:

Cursade/Migration, political intrigue, mass combat, land ownership, freaky hookups.

Planescape. I'm not an expert, sadly.

Holy Roman Empire / 30 years war.

>>
Epic Journey through fantasy lands

What would you guys say to being the leaders of a migrating group of tribes/exiles/refugees/crusaders numbering a few hundred, who are fighting/politicoing/trading their way through a bunch of fractured kingdoms, "United" only through the Planar Council, looking for a place to settle, while fleeing some horrible threat from behind you.

Snake Style? Panther Style? I mean, with all those AoO. Imp Trip is a trap.

How do you guys handle fleeing from combat mechanically?

If one party is slower than the other do they have no chance of escaping in your game?

I have a question. I'm making a Goblin Gunslinger/Alchemist because ALL OF THE BOOMS. I'm currently thinking that I'll only dip one level of Gunslinger and use a Dragon Pistol at low-levels or when she runs out of bombs at higher levels.

Is that a terrible idea? And if not, what sort of discoveries should I go towards? I'm thinking Fast Bombs, Scrap Bomb and Glassfoot Bomb for sure, to fill the air and land with all the shrapnel. Are there any others I should definitely look into?

Oh, and to clarify: I'm going Pistolero and Grenadier for my Archetypes.

Planescape could be added easily by throwing some outsiders plotting behind the scenes.

Besides, being heroes from some kind of refugee group sounds amazing. Just like the second book of the Malazan series.

On the contrary, there are plenty of ways to cover an escape, even if you're the slower party. Like tripping the person next to you before running.

Oh my god are you telling me I could play as the Champion of the Not!Visigoths?

Yup.

I'm just dying for someone to use something like the Emperor class for this.

Crusades sound like a perfect time for Outsiders to be plotting, anyway.

War in Heaven and war on earth, with demons and Devils going into a feeding frenzy as the metaphorical waters are chummed with the souls of sinners and saints alike.

What happened to the Faceless Shapeshifter EhnJolly?

Which sounds good I suppose, until actually ran.

Your generic dwarf trips my generic human whose kicking his ass, because want want to get the hell out of here. You provoke by tripping so now you may even be more hurt, but I go down and then you use your move action to move 20ft away, potentially also provoking.

On my turn I use a move equivalent to stand up and then use my movement to not only catch up, but pass you.

Planescape, to me, is about exotic and fantastical realms with creatures and environments so different from the usual milieu of human knights and elven archers.

The immortal inhabitants of the planes have different origins from mortals. Most Outer Planars are the spirits of the deceased given new forms in afterlife realms, and the majority of Inner Planars spring forth from fonts of primordial elements.

They have different shapes. Most societies of outsiders have hierarchies of caste and evolution that come with different forms. A lantern archon, a hound archon, and a trumpet archon have wildly distinct shapes, yet they are archons all the same, the sacred people of the seven peaks of Mount Celestia.

They have different habitats, from trench-carved cubes drifting and smashing against each other in a white void, to vertically mirrored fields parallel to each other and held apart by great pillars, to windswept tunnels where gravity is oriented towards each of the cavern walls and rivers float and flow in the center.

They have different needs. Food, drink, and sleep are no physical necessities for immortals.

They have different conflicts. Outer Planars are literal embodiments of aspects of thought and emotion, from the altruism and compassion of Elysium, to the passion and liberty of Arborea, to the abandon and savagery of the Abyss. They will fight and die for what they represent.

One question.
Where do sign up.