What level do you prefer your parties to start at?

What level do you prefer your parties to start at?

For D&D3.5/PF, 3 or 4 is a good starting spot. Low enough to grow into power and learn to use the basics of any class, high enough that a single bad axe swing isn't enough to force you to build a new character. Generally. Higher is alright for experienced players, but I'm mostly not willing to even bother starting lower than 3 anymore. I've already done that a million times.

Depends on the system and setting.

Generally speaking, 5e games should start at level three, except for the first game with a new group.

Level 1. I start them with maximum hit die for that level only, allow one one reroll per stat, and make rolls of 1 result in a free reroll that doesn't count against them. (Likewise, future hit die rolls of 1 will also merit rerolls)

In my opinion, it wouldn't be as rewarding for a character to be given any free levels. I want my players to earn every single level through their own exploits and enjoy a sense of accomplishment.

Level one. Zero to hero baby!

Usually level 1. Occasionally level 0.

If it's going to be a long campaign, then level 1.

If it's going to be only a couple adventures or a one shot (which it usually is) then level 3 or 4. Sometimes 6 to 10 if there is a particular adventure we want to try that requires a higher power-level.
These games tend to play more like Sword and Sorcery/Pulp adventures. Little to no focus on leveling and the characters are already competent. With all that fluff out of the way the characters can focus entirely on the adventure at hand.

I find this is actually the optimal way to play 3rd to 5th edition D&D. O-AD&D is simple and broad enough to handle the logistics of building a name for yourself without lots of fiddlybits. New editions have lots of cool toys to use from turn to turn but it is also fiddly enough that it's hard to keep character growth from becoming a doing-your-taxes mini-game.
When you play nD&D as "Weird Tales of Danger and Adventure!" players can experiment with those cool fiddly-bits from adventure to adventure without being locked into a single theory-craft nightmare. The numbers game becomes a feature instead of a job. And without the distracting effect of a million potential options for the future, players can turn the rest of their focus onto session itself.

I love spending weeks fighting dumb rodents before actually starting the real campaign. Nothing gets me into the adventuring spirit quite like spending whole sessions missing attacks on goblins due to their high AC and my non-existent attack bonuses and miniscule health pool.

Whatever is appropriate for the campaign. 'You should always start at level 1' is stupid.

Level 2.

>implications

First, not every game is "muh dee un dee." Some systems make level 1 characters competent and useful. Don't be stupid.

Second. There is absolutely no reason that level one characters can't have meaningful adventures. Killing rats in a basement is a meme perpetuated by GMs who can't have a creative thought for fear of disrupting some imagined status quo.

>I start them with maximum hit die for that level only
that's what you're already supposed to do
don't make it sound like you're doing them a favor

A tavern.

I just play games without level systems, and start them at the default unless there is a specific module.

>levels
>a sense of accomplishment
I dont understand this at all

1st level. I enjoy building my character from the ground up via play.

Level 2 or 3 in D&D 5e, unless it's a group that's never played, then start at 1 for the whole package.

Start up at level 1.
Finish at level 20.
EARN THOSE LEVELS IN ONE LONG EPIC QUEST.

>all games are D&D
The systems I play don't use levels. I usually start characters off with no progression except what they got in character creation, though.

A level in where every martial doesn't look like every other martial and every caster doesn't look like every other caster, you know, some level in where you start to feel what's the gimmick of your class.

One of my groups had a giant adventure of basically spending a bunch of time trying to get to level 20 so that we could punch an evil deity in the face and actually live to tell the tale

Exactly this; no lower than 3 in most systems.

I handweave that the PCs had some backstory between them earning that 1-3 with doing odd jobs, freeform RP at session 0 about what they got themselves into and how they solved some problems/quests.
>Any siblings/backstory pairs?
>How and where'd you meet?
>What was the first job?
>How'd it go? Successful?
>What was the second one?
>How'd that one go? Any notable NPCs?
>Complications from first and second jobs that remain unsolved?

Party on.