How desperate have you been?

I like to believe we've all been, at some point, so desperate to play or GM as part of a group that you've been willing to put up with some serious bullshit.

Personally I have put up with:
>That guy who constantly bails to go drinking because he is a college age 20-something.
>That guy who wants to play as a magical anime girl.
>That fat girl who has to constantly reminds the group how hot her character is and how her character is always wearing a corset.
And Finally
>that asshole who never brings snacks yet always partakes in the food everyone else brought.

What has the rest of /tg put up with just to actually play a game?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_(filmmaking)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A screening process.

How did that go?

New to an area, about 10 years or so ago. (At the time) gf introduced me to her friends who had a weekly game of something-or-other.
>gf's best friend is dating this absurd asshole because of... mental problems, I think
>dude is seriously the only THAT GUY I've ever met - no one else could ever be worse than him, to me
>their roommate is a cool dude
>various other people are in and out of game for 1 or 2 sessions
>THAT GUY, every session, seems to get into a stupid childish argument with a player over some dumbass thing or another
>gf's best friend doesn't really know how to stand up for herself, so usually let's him win whatever the issue is

I have grown to hate the word "semantics" because inevitably that was his comeback for everything.
"You're just arguing semantics."

We all hated you, bud. We were just afraid of hurting her by telling you you stunk, you were childish, and you don't know the meaning of the word you used.

Yeah, that's some bullshit right there. I was gonna join this game on the Game Finder thread a while back. I didn't know the system, but was looking forward to learning it. But then I find out the DM wants us to make an account on some site, build our characters there, write a backstory, and submit it to him for approval before he would let us be in his game, and I was like NOPE.
I'll play solo games or vidjeo games before I go through all that shit only to be told "your character looks like shit that was built by somebody who doesn't know the system and your backstory doesn't fit my railroad, get fucked."

But hey, I really like solo board games, war games, and RPGs, so my threshold for "fuck this shit, I'm out" is pretty low. Feels good man.

I've been pretty lucky overall.

Worst I have to deal with is this one guy who has no volume control and insists on making sound effects.

I call him "Foley". No one else gets the joke.
Because they're philistines.

It went great. I have 4 players I can, at the very least, tolerate. But 3 out of 4 of them are very attentive and active, and the last one I'm okay with because he has a newborn kid he's got to take care of.

It just took a boatload of patience to go through the applications and wait long enough until I was sure I had a group that would work well with each other (including me) in terms of just being a good social group.

Online is the only way I could pull it off, though, to be honest. All my IRL games have ended in tears, which is why I now opt for drawing from a larger online pool.

>Played various miniature wargames in the past.
>Friends where all along with the idea that you varied the games you had.
>One of our main guy, the guy who usually GM´s, the guy which opinion is worth just a tad bit more than anyone else, gets the idea that "I'm going to be a warmahorde fanboy
>Initially does what the rest of the group does, plays warmahordes.
>Its fun.... for while
>2 year down the road of only playing the same fucking game, brings the subject up, gets rejected
>Builds the most simple net-list I can think of at the time, and has run it ever since. Haven't lost a game for a good year, but its still no fun. Hell, even my friends hate this list, but I just stick to it until I bore them to death with it.

The guy eventually caves in, and gives up miniature wargames all together. A hobby we have all been enjoying since early youth, a good 17 years now. And you guessed it, everyone else tagged along... Apparently wargames sucks, and its now all about simple board games.

Police academy was a great movie.

I was once so desperate for roleplay that I joined a freeform medieval fantasy channel on IRC.

Everyone was playing succubi, tieflings, or drow, and out of about 30 characters, maybe 5 were male. They were also incubi, tieflings, and drow.

Thanks for being so brutally honest. You are exactly the player I'm *NOT* looking for in my games. Though, for the record, I don't railroad. I wish you the best in finding a group you can have fun with.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_(filmmaking)

Started my first campaign in my college student union. Our version of That Guy is a dude who just yells constantly, gets in rule arguments but is almost always wrong since its with two dudes who've apparently played for years, and is playing a paladin that based on the GMs story is in charge of most of the party, where he gets uber power hungry. But there are like 7 other players as well, and most of them are cool

>Though, for the record, I don't railroad

I have no way of knowing that ahead of time, is the thing.
My preferred style is to get together and build characters as a group, because it's so much easier to make a party fit together, and screening to me is just kicking people out if and when they turn out to be jackasses. In my experience, the only way to reliably spot the problem people is to play with them, and erecting barriers just means you have to put more effort in up front before you eventually find out it's not the right table for you.

>>That guy who constantly bails to go drinking because he is a college age 20-something.

I should do this instead of playing tabletop games

everything you throw at me as long as I play. Its been so long since the last time.

Once I was killed right of the bat because th DC was 20 and I had only +2 at the beggining of the game and had to spend 6 hours wathon the rest keep playing. that was the first time I played with them.

Another one people could not understand roleplaying, it was just intro to session, 20mins of exploring and 4hours ONE combat. Fucking 4e

Getting ridiculed by GURPS players because they didnt understood my solution to a problem to then get solved the way I explained hust because I played more D&D.

And I still would do it again as long as I get to play something. Im a filthy whore.

DMing for 3 friends.
>player 1 is my bro since fucklong, ok player but won't take initiatives, which is fine by me, because I'll just have to gice him a plot hook to grab once in a while
>player 2 I know since freshman year. At first I thought he was weird, turned out to be the best player I DM'd for, flawless roleplaying, always coming up with original ideas to face whatever I send their way. Bit of a power creep, but he actually manifests it by following the rules (won't ask me if he magically finds an enxhanted axe, but will go to a smith and try to gather informations on legendary weapons and where they could be)
>player 3 is our thatguy. Plays exclusively lizard+something warriors with low intelligence no matter the setting. Most heard sentence through all our sessions is "My character does not care". This mob just threatened to burn your host's inn ? Doesn't care. Your friends want to go gambling to try and meet someone to get informations ? My character doesn't care. You and your party just washed ashore from a shipwreck, (in a friendly coubtry) a man in a raincoat arrives on a carriage ? Let's kill him. You meet the guy that holds the valuable intel your party is looking for ? "I tell him to fuck off because I do not know him". All. The. Time.
I don't fucking know how to deal with this amount of BS, the guy is a great friend OOG, but man what a pain can he be at the gaming table.

I'm afraid that in my experience, those "barriers" kept the undesirables out. As I mentioned before: I game online only these days. The way I screen people out is I give them a list of 20 simple questions to answer (stuff like "What days work best for you" and "how long can you play" and "What character concept did you have in mind" and "Do you believe in trigger warnings"). The key to that questionnaire is that I don't just deny people who give me an answer I may not agree with; the key is that they did it at all, to completion, and didn't answer any question with something like "I plan to play a transgender half-dragon half-drow who gains all hir powers by sexual congress with children and drinking the blood of their parents." You'd be surprised how many people this will eliminate from your pool of candidates right off the bat.

Then, when I think I have a group of people who can play well with others (remember to reject people who want to play characters whose only interest is to brood in the corner all game and make snide remarks), I state right up front that they're going to create their characters in full view of one another (metaphorically, this is online). In other words, everybody at "the table" will be able to read each other's character sheets from top to bottom (Remember, the key here is you're trying to get a group of people who "play well with others", and punt anti-social jackasses out at the first sign of trouble). Encourage all the players to work off of each other so they all build characters that will compliment each other in terms of both game mechanics, but also personalities. If disagreements flare up that nobody can seem to settle or compromise on, kick the guy(s) who is being the problem.

I don't have time to tolerate a jerkass who creates problems at the table, brings the game to a grinding halt, and worse yet will encourage the other players to stop showing up.

I had one of the players pull a knife on me once.

You seem okay to me. A brief questionnaire is one thing, "build a character and his backstory and submit it and I'll let you know if you should throw it in the trash" is different IMO.
When I'm a DM, I evaluate whether players are suitable for my table, but when I'm a player, I'm also evaluating whether a table is going to be worth joining, and I don't like the idea of putting a lot of effort in up front before I know if the DM or other players are going to be incompatible with me having a good time. I try to remember this fact when I'm looking at potential players, and any DM that demands too much up front is not getting me as a player or DM.

Actually Yes. The questionnaire is actually a really good idea. One of my favorite groups I'm in right now started with a simple questionnaire.

After I filled it out and talked with the GM, I asked if I could sit in. Not play, just sit in, and watch how they play. After I got a feel for what type of game they were going with, I did some homework and research. Then I sat down with the Gm and talked about my character and concept.

I would sit out another session untill the game got to the point of being able to introduce new characters easily enough. There was a long wait. But patience is a virtue. And a lot of other folks went through it but dropped. Now we're in full swing and because of the laying down the work before hand we got some cool interactions going.

Rando's flake pretty quickly when they realize the additional hoops you got to go through, and move on. But those that are really interested will stick it out.

Not to mention the questionnaire is a big signalling flag to players that the GM will be putting in the work to make the game will.

Maybe likes playing a low intelligence lizard guy thing?

Some people just want to sit back, roll dice, and beat the shit out of everything that moves.

You sounds like my kind of GM and this sounds like my kind of group, I hope it lasts you a long time user!

>be desperate foreveralone permavirgin
>go shopping for a doll
>Adult Store counter guy asks
>"Male or female?"
>Female
>"Black or white?"
>White
>"Christian or Muslim?"
>What's the difference?
>"The Muslims blow themselves up."

>adding a nose
kys

Thanks. We're going on 6th months now and I don't see any reason why it's not going to last a whole year. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and I can only do this for so long before I get burnt out. So I already let my players know that around our 1 year anniversary the campaign is going to have a definite end to it, and hopefully I can wrap everything up with a satisfying conclusion based on all the player's actions and desires.

20's interesting, seems like twice as many as I'd usually ask myself. I agree strongly with the principle, but mind sharing what 20 questions you use? It avoids being redundant or overwrought I assume, since you seem like you're adept at planning, I just don't see how you managed it

Enough to join an all-female group as a dude.

I've gotten to a point so low that when I shared my legitimate tale of depravity, it was only replied with, "No way" and "didn't happen".

Long story short:
>Move to a new town. Know nobody
>put up fliers all over town. "Come play D&D/board games/Card Games."
>Finally get responses. Assign a place to meet up.
>A ton "Big Bang Theory" and "capeshit" tier people show up
>I run an old standby "Keep on the Borderlands" but with 5th edition mechanics.
>most of them are sad to see the game isn't like how it's portrayed on TV.
>A few come back each week, but I still have to put up with their "Lol I'm such a nerd" bullshit
>Eventually, one guy gets mad that the game doesn't work like a freeform RP.
>He legitimately says, "You're not running this game right. It should feel more like Skyrim."
>I kindly suggest he run his own campaign then.
>Weeks later, I get an email asking if I could come back and run a campaign for them again.
>I suggest that they would probably get more enjoyment out of something like WoW, instead.

It's okay, man. I believe you.

>sad to see the game isn't like how it's portrayed on TV
>bitching that 5e isn't freeform enough

... my games aren't far off from TV. Might I ask how yours weren't?

Did he just try to wander off in some random direction and didn't realize GM limitations require some form of rails to some degree?

>I've gotten to a point so low that when I shared my legitimate tale of depravity, it was only replied with, "No way" and "didn't happen".

Yeah, nice try at preemptive damage control.

>Long story short

Shit that never happened.

>haven't played in months
>set up a DW game online
>ask players questions about their personality, day life, time preference, etc.
>get some old guy, a bunch of people from random timezones, many German autists
>realize that I will never have as much fun with these randos as I did with my college group
>delete game and account

Cowardly but I just knew I was going to be disappointed

virt?

what was that like?

I wouldn't necessarily avoid that depending on what the women seemed like

Well, they seemed to expect the game to be "DM makes funny voices and impersonations and tells you what your character does" sort've thing.

That one particular guy seemed to think that he could just do whatever, as long as it was in regards to his own character. For instance, when we started the second session, on his very first turn he started describing how he became a werewolf between sessions, and later he started rearranging his character's abilities/feats to be stronger.

He also would do things like, "I steal X item from player Y", and whenever he got hit in combat he'd say, "Well, what do I roll to jump out of the way?"

Why do you all do this?

Is it because it derails literally every discussion on this board?

>Can't share greentexts because it's "shit that didn't happen" or "nice blog post".
>Can't pose a question or discussion topic because it's "bait". Even in situations when it's obviously not.
>Veeky Forums is filled with ludicrous, dull not-questions that can all be answered with "depends on the setting".
>There's lewd shit and virgin-tier "teehee succubus a cute!" bullshit because people can't be bothered to post it somewhere else.
>And people ragging on every system, game, or edition they don't like, despite there being 20 different /generals/ to discuss anything they want to their heart's content.

Why does anyone that wants to discuss traditional gaming stay here?

.... you need a different game system. I can think of a few that would have worked fine, but any D&D+Derivatives are NOT it.

You sound like a cool dude.
Wish my IRL group had even the slightest vetting process.
>fucking 6 months into a game, all with the same group
>Person shows up for a game with not one but two fucking characters, because "someone else in the game has two"
>Both are straight up ripped from an obscure book series or game
>homebrews the shit out of both giving them retarded abilities like at will teleportation at level /9/
>Every single player at the table is not fine with this, I personally expressly make this clear to him
>He plays anyway, since we don't have any vetting and can't say no since it's in a store.
God, I'm still mad. The game fucking disbanded because of him/people using him as an excuse to act like idiots and do similar shit.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to exert control over the one thing I could actually control in my life. I was a prick to you and that's no excuse

it's not really a That Guy deal but I never realized how hard GMing is for a group of people who aren't like me

example:
>be player for another GM
>be very active, ask questions about environment, use skills constantly, explore
>push the plot forward constantly, GM only acts there to describe surroundings and so on
>GM tells me he likes having me in his games, but don't really understand why since i consider myself somewhat annoying to play with due to my preference to be in the spotlight

but then

>try GMing myself
>treat players like i would treat myself
>mostly just describe surroundings, introduce them to NPCs, give them a long-term main goal but let them figure out how to pursue it, generally give them the freedom to do what they want with their characters
>the players start playing in the new world, see what they do
>they just stand around expecting someone to tell them what to do
>"come on guys try a little"
>they go to a bar
>describe an obvious plot hook
>"ok"
>they resume sitting around and doing nothing
>"what do i do??? help xd"
>for fucks sake
>handhold them through a mission, they have fun for the first time
>their new job is to find a certain building in a city
>let them off the leash again, expecting them to do some basic detective work
>"i drive through the city, do i see anything special?"
>"you will have to be more specific"
>"do i see any NPCs who could know where the building is?"
>"what the fuck? no"
>"well shit i dont know what to do then"

for fucks sake

that's when i understood why my GM liked having me around

>be GM for 4 players
>one guy plays stupid meme videos off youtube on his phone constantly, and constantly does shit that gets party members killed while grilling other players for not being serious enough
>one guy is on his computer the entire session and looking at memes on reddit or playing Civ 5
>one guy cannot roleplay to save his life and is constantly quoting the latest iDubbz video
>one guy is pretty chill but too shy to really get involved with roleplaying
>these are all friends and cool people OOC
>mfw I have no other options

We've got my friend's girlfriend's cousin, a tiny, incredibly loud, 16-year old asian girl (we're all mid-20s dudes) who really wanted to play at the beginning, but now just uses our RPG night as an excuse to vent about her pubescent boy problems.
I think she expects us to offer some sage wisdom that will change her life, but we just can't give less of a shit about her hormonal bullshit.
>"...and he just uses me and asks me to get other girls to go out with him, and he's such a jerk."
>"So break up with him."
>"But, see, I also don't WANT to, because he's hot and dark and angsty, and he threatens to kill himself whenever I try to break up with him."
>"SO BREAK UP WITH HIM"

It doesn't help that she's actually super freaky, but we've all known her since she was little and have no desire to know these things.
>"...and I took all my clothes off in front of this guy I'd never talked to on a group camping trip, and he just said 'uh, okay?'!"
>"Uh, okay?"

>that asshole who never brings snacks yet always partakes in the food everyone else brought

Hey

Look

They hold the bag of chewy flavor gumyum bites out to me and go "you want some?" who am I to decline

It's not like I fucking snatch handfuls when they're not looking or without asking

> virt?

I optim kek'd.

I've long since gotten rid of it since it had long served it's purpose. And admittedly, some of the questions were pretty easy to answer to someone with even half a brain cell. But here is what I remember:

#1 What day works best for you to game?
#2 What hour works best for a starting time for you? Please specify time zone.
#3 Will you flake out on us?
#4 How often might you be distracted during game time?
#5 Will you be with us for the long term?
#6 Briefly describe your overall character concept - one sentence is fine.
#7 Will your character be capable of working with a group?
#8 Are you, the player, generally a "team player"?
#9 Hypothetical situation: Your character enters a bar and orders something to drink. The bartender tells you that they don't serve your kind here. How is your character most likely to respond? (You'd be surprised how many applications I rejected due to a question like this. All they had to do was NOT flip out and kill anybody, or burn the place down. Otherwise, they could have slapped the bartender across the face and left in a huff for all I cared.)
#10 Hypothetical situation: Your character is walking down the street when a girl clutching a purse to her chest runs with a look of fear on her face out of an alleyway. A man is chasing her screaming "Stop her! Stop her!" What is your character most likely to do? (Again, this question was simply a way to filter out people as long as they didn't give a completely shitheaded response. I had to reject one guy for responding that they'd kill both people and take the purse.)
#11 Do you believe in trigger warnings?
#12 How do you feel about more adult themed subject matter? (This was another "don't give a That Guy response and you'll be fine". Again, a couple people went over the line. Admittedly, I probably tempted them that way due to the question, but sorry, "adult themed subject matter" doesn't include using my game to indulge in child molestation, rape, or incest)

#13 How likely is your character to betray the party?
#14 How likely is your character to use violence to settle a problem?
#15 Is your character a "murder hobo?"
#16 Is your character an "edge lord?"
#17 Would you mind writing a character background of at least two paragraphs?
#18 Are you okay with (insert house rule I like to use here)?
#19 If you have to miss a session, would you please e-mail me and let me know before hand?
#20 Every so often my real life job requires I work through the weekend, and on those days there will be no game and I will inform you about it. Are you okay with this?

Everything I just posted is what I asked TO THE BEST OF MY MEMORY of something I typed SIX MONTHS AGO. So they weren't in that exact order, I might have forgot something, and I might have added something that I didn't put on the questionnaire six months ago. But that's the general gist of how I screen my online players. The most important criteria is they bothered to answer all the questions in the first place. Length of response almost never mattered.

Just out of boredom, mind telling me if my character would pass, using my last character as an example?
Passing over the personal/time questions since I'm not actually applying of course.

Sure. You mean the hypotheticals? Lay it on me.

>handhold them through a mission, they have fun for the first time

Our Shadowrun group has a player who needs this constantly. He gets into an argument with the GM and the rest of us for 15-20 minutes whenever his combat pass comes, asking what he should do. He's been playing with us for two years and he's new to Shadowrun, as am I.
However it's gotten to the point where, in order to get him to act on instinct or just stop bogging down the table, I've just been running my Dwarven Rigger ass into melee as soon as it starts to happen. Taking out one or two dudes with a crowbar then getting lit up and dying on the ground. It's not until THAT happens that he starts arguing and just starts playing.

His excuse is getting tiresome. "I don't have time to read a book." However he finds the time to spend 10 hours a week reworking his character every week in HeroLabs.

>#6
Overzealous and boisterous tiefling inquisitor of gorrum, who loves hunting monsters and is paranoid about trickery/deceit.
>#7
Definitely, unless people start talking about poison, murdering people in their sleep, or doing bad things to children.
>#9
"Your foul establishment denies those serving the gods? Have you no shame, sir?" Walk out, and brand a derogatory word into the front door, while speaking ill of him at the top of his lungs the entire time, or something along those lines.
depends on the place/bartender. he might either understand or simply accept it.
>#13
0.0% unless we start getting into edgelord for the sake of the edge territory, and maybe not even then.
>#14
>Serves the god of battle
Pretty fucking likely, but understands the need for tact/politics, especially in cities or other situations that require types of etiquette
>#15
I feel like it's kinda-sorta in all honesty. They have an arranged marriage waiting for them in cheliax, but they really don't want it, but will come home after they've felt they've made a name for themselves/change in the world.
>#16
No.
>#17
See 15
and just because I'm curious, whats an example of #19?
I miss anything of the questions about the character?

GRADE: 10/10 straight to the top of the damn pile of potential candidates. But then, it wasn't a very hard "test" to begin with. It's mainly meant to be a "That Guy" detector. And you don't strike me as "That Guy" at all.

>and just because I'm curious, whats an example of #19?
Did you mean 18? The one about house rules? One example is that I don't like to track ammo and I won't hold my player's feet to the fire over it either. So a house rule I came up with is "Just buy 100 arrows/bolts/whatever and we'll always assume your character always has enough wherever he goes, and stocks up whenever he can without you explicitly asking for it."

>I miss anything of the questions about the character?
#10 - the one about the girl with the purse.

Eleven/Ten houserule, fuck ammo.
Also , that is probably my only potential "that guy" question.
I'd use a spell to slow/stop the thief or just chase after them, and brand their hand or face (depends on what they tell me under my literal magic lie detection) with THIEF, then return the purse to the man again, depending on the situation he tells me, He's not gonna just assume things no matter how paranoid he gets sometimes

Acceptable answer, still. Although, reading it over again, I think I didn't state the question as well as I would have liked. I was trying to portray an instance that was left up to one's own interpretation. The girl MIGHT be a thief and the guy chasing after her MIGHT be after what she stole from him. Or, she MIGHT be a mugging victim and the guy chasing after her trying to steal FROM HER. So yeah, I screwed up in how I typed it up but it was more ambiguous when I originally typed it out six months ago. I think I described the guy as wearing peasant's clothing and screaming obscenities at her as he chased her, while she was similarly garbed and she was carrying just a general "bag" or something.

I'd play with roll20 shitters not because I'm desperate, but because I'm a shitnewb GM and I don't want to set high expectations.

Regardless, be wary of shitter players with high expectations

I was a player myself, but I still suffered some bitch for months and had to defend the fact the GM wasn't writing a novel especially for the disgruntled party

A teenager who thinks he is the main character. That's pretty much it though.

>Regardless, be wary of shitter players with high expectations
Well as it'd be a burner game anyway, I'd give them what they want and then twist and fuck em over.

>I was a player myself, but I still suffered some bitch for months and had to defend the fact the GM wasn't writing a novel especially for the disgruntled party
I've had experienced asshole players bending a too-soft GM over the knee and fucking the game right up the ass too. Extra shame because early on his permssiveness allowed great fun for most of the group (one autismo who had bad ideas allowed to fruition was easy to ignore); but then the new cunts really started the pain train.

>trigger warnings
Gb2 tumblr

>#3 Will you flake out on us?
Who the fuck would answer "yes" to this? People that realise how flaky they are either 1)stop trying or 2)keep trying and will lie.

>#15 Is your character a "murder hobo?"
>#16 Is your character an "edge lord?"
Same for these two.

As another guy, the situation seemed ambigious enough to me. (Response for my characters would be either "stop and question them both" or "none of my business, keep walking")

You apparently missed the part where I said that the most important criteria to me is that somebody actually read the entire questionnaire, and answered every single question. Yes, I fully realize all those questions you pointed out are stupid and somebody could easily just lie to me. But you know what? Lying takes effort. There are people out there you can't even be arsed to put that much effort. And guess what? There are people out there who were either brutally honest with me ("Yeah my character will murder anybody who pisses him off"), or else they gave me a wishy-washy answer ("Well I try not to be but...") and that was all the incrimination I needed.

And that would be an acceptable answer to me. Like I said: The main criteria for "passing" that question is basically not to give me a "That Guy" answer. All else is legitimate if that's how you envision your character.

I was reading the question and went, "Yeah... my health can be shaky sometimes, so there might be days I just feel really shit and can't play up to my own standards and will feel I'd drag the group down."

Though that does play into your comment about people recognizing their own flakiness and stop trying - I've looked for groups less because I don't like letting people down by fucking up game night in groups where one person saying they can't come means the game doesn't go forward.

(I would definitely have said, "Yeah - I'll email you to let you know I won't be coming, at least.")

I've tried getting my friends together to play tabletop at least 5 times for 3 different systems (I might be missing some)
This doesn't include the other times someone else has been the GM

Every single time the group never picks up the campaign after the initial session
I'm trying to get an online game going with the 3 most interested people in the group

If it doesn't work out, I might resort to the spergs in one of my classes or random Veeky Forums or Roll20 groups

I'm from Baltimore and I've played with high-functioning drug users and I've never this. Do you play with absolute lowlifes?

You just failed the application, dude.

Here

Naw, Just a sort of psychopathic guy, but he worked at the FLGS so I didnt really feel I could tell him to fuck off.

Sounds like the screening process worked.

I do something like that with my games, now I run them online.
Doesn't get rid of the inevitable flakes, or the people who throw a bitchfit and quit everything after a DM fiat.

>Sounds like the screening process worked.

Wow... it's been a year hasn't it.....?

> "You're not running this game right. It should feel more like Skyrim."

How did you not strangle this nigger on the spot?

> I game online only these days

Yeah you're pretty much fucked.
That's actually pretty funny though.

So.... tell him the next time he starts a rules argument and is wrong his character loses 500 XP. It's shitty metagaming but clearly this fucker has no issue with it so maybe it'll get him to shut the fuck up.

Not it wasn't.

So you learned your lesson about miniature wargames and poured two grand down the toilet? You could've learned, like, accounting for that much money. Nice job!

That sucks. I suggest you start making your own sound effects when he does it, except even more autistic, and just do an autistic parody of every noise he makes until he loses his shit and starts crying (autists usually do).

>(At the time) gf

Why do people feel the need to say this? It's 2016, no one stays with a partner for more than a couple years at most. usually it's like 2 or 3 months. Just say your GF, no one here knows you IRL or cares if you are still dating her. She's probably fat anyways.

What's wrong with that? You can probably fuck one or two of them and enjoy some D&D before the game goes to shit like all female-only activities do.

> fun
> Dungeon World

You were setting out to fail from the get go.

> guy on computer

Just calmly ask him "user are you still playing?" every time his name comes up and he's on his computer.

4 players is near the edge but not enough to excuse that kind of bullshit. 5 or 6 players I can see people doing other shit while their characters aren't involved. Like I play in a group with 6 people and we just run thorugh old D&D modules and my friend and I draw and work on shit when we're not doing anything. That's fine. But being on the computer is fucking obnoxious. I have a DM who sits on the computer and browses fucking facebook and we have to get his attention every 2 seconds. He was FINE before he started GMing from his laptop.

Spotted the autist.

Top kek.

Tell her "we're playing a game right now, we'll be your emotional tampons later."

See how she reacts.

If you don't do it, you're a pussy. In fact, if I get dubs you have to do it, if I get trips you have to do it while staring at her tits, and if I get quads you have to do it with a cucumber up your ass. Got it?

Seriously, she's not even part of the game anymore if she's derailing it that much. My friend's gf and her gay friend will sit at our table and gossip about girls who fuck dudes they just met in their apartment that they share, and I asked them to have their conversation elsewhere. They didn't get pissy because they aren't shit people. And if they do, they need to fuck off anyway cause they don't belong in your group.

This. People are fags where they offer food and get pissy about it later. This hidden invisible social contract is gay as fuck. If I mind something I say something, if I don't mind then I'm chill with it. I don't play these keeping-up-with-the-joneses "oh he says it's okay but it's not really so we have to bring food he doesn't even like" domestic bullshit that my GF used to pull. Those people seriously need to fucking die.

Pretty good. Just keep in mind that the fact that you have to do this in the first place says alot about the medium you've chosen. At least it's better than the 300 (!) questions some fag DM my friend knows, would give out to new players for their characters' backstories.

In 1st level 5e D&D. Where people can die a shitton. So yeah, fuck that.

Maybe he is, faggot. If the other players are wallflowers who won't take center stage and lead the fucking party, and you cater plotlines toward that character, no shit he'll think that. Also if he grabs the spotlight and no one else does, that's their choice. This isn't fucking community discussion circle, okay? If you hide in the corner, we'll just assume you're playing a quiet secondary character. It's that fucking simple. You want to be center stage? Take charge. Take initiative. Getting roleplaying out of people should not be pulling teeth, and the spotlight doesn't need to be sliced up into four equal parts. DMs who go all out of their way to be "inclusive" and make sure everyone gets their turn, like this is third grade show-and-fucking-tell, are obnoxious as hell.

You're meant to bring some yourself to share, as well.

>for fucks sake
YOUR problem is that you're expecting players to be like you. Some (most) people need structure. Not so much railroading them, so much as highwaying. Sounds like they needed a nudge, or for someone to approach them to tell them they're needed.

Fucking saved.

>houserule, fuck ammo
Unless someone's going overboard with the dakka/arrows. If they do, then I'd start deducting them a regular fee for arrows whenever they hit a town.
One of my characters ended up that way. I spec'd out an archer that fired like a machinegun. Very rarely effective due to my crappy rolls, but he pulled through right at the end and turned out to be really quite broken.

Where do faggots like you even come from?

I habe pretty much the same problem, none of my friends are actually interested in continuing a game and we will continually play lolsorandumb oneshots. Its painful.

What game are you guys playing?

>poured two grand down the toilet?

Youwhatnow?
I don't think you know what a hobby is son. Its when you actively enjoy the full spectrum of a themed enjoyment some way or another. Me for instance, still enjoys (even though my closest circle of friends ditched the idea about it) the hobby. Though I have switched focus towards painting more and playing less. And when I do play, I play down at the local shop.

Besides, if anything is clear about my post, it should have come across that money isn't an issue. I play several miniature wargames, have a descent job but most of all, I keep a budget. Over time, any hobby can be cost efficient. Its only the idiots over at the 40kids threads that throws away a 3k army´o the month every time a new release is due, and then complain about "the high price". You just happen to believe in the oldest meme of them all.

I mean this sounds pretty believable to me.

Confirmation that the screening process worked.

> making fantasy games about shitty degenerate rape demons
> thinking this is something you should be okay fantasizing about
> cant help but wonder if this is a result of /nogainz/ neets infecting a large amount of our hobby

I have a multitude of hobbies, so if I cannot find a game nor have the time or desire to make one, I simply spend more time on my other hobbies.

It may be better to look for something new to experience rather than endure something unpleasant just for the sake of your hobby. A new experience can even improve your sessions once you find people worth playing with.

That said, the only player with a positive WIS modifier that never bothers with skill checks in my current game is a slight nuisance.

This is a bad place to do apologies senpai.

Fuck you

Of all the groups I've seen blamed here for problems, I think the nogainz is definitely an original scapegoat.

Everyone else does roleplay. I mean more like he gets butthurt when people call him out on shit and just expects everyone to follow their lead.

Well, I'm kinda desperate. I haven't been playing in years and now I have friends willing to try and there's a setting they're interested in and there is actually a system for it in the making.
The problem? It was supposed to be released in mid 2016.
I can't goddamn wait and I'm not making new players read a handbook for at most few months of playing in a setting that doesn't interest us too much.

>I game online only these days

Kek

>People want to play a game
>They don't bother to read the rules
>Bitch when the rules aren't what they expect

Faggots, the lot of 'em.

This.

Personally, the bedrock of my enthusiasm has been worn down by the endless waves of bullshit, so I don't know if I even care anymore.

Just like video games. If it doesn't have quest markers players are too stupid to figure things out.

All of this.

Don't forget all the people shitting on text gaming, voice gaming, online gaming, and occasionally even real life gaming.

I don't really know why I stay here. Old habit, I guess. I don't get much out of the site, but what other sites are there?

$5 cover and an upscale public place, actually works pretty well and seems to keep the worst of the rabble away. Yeah there are some special snowflake characters but they never attempt to hijack the game and at least try to make the characters fit thematically

...But poison and killing people in their sleep are like, some of the best ways to kill people.

Not that guy, but personally I wouldn't accept you into the group. It sucks that your health is bad, but there's no reason five people should suffer for that instead of just one.

Hobbies aren't an investment. Most cost money and produce nothing. Learning and accepting this fact will make bearing the cost of a hobby much, much easier on your mind.

Then again, you're That Guy. They never fucking learn any life lessons.

My wargaming group has two very simple rules for precisely this reason.

Rule 1: We're here for fun. If some obscure situation crops up which players are in disagreement about and neither player can remember offhand in what book/codex/errata the situation is clarified, you flip a coin or roll a die to figure out who to call "right" for now. If anyone gives enough of a shit after the game's over, they can look it up and whoever was wrong buys whoever was right a beer for next time.

Rule 2: We're here for fun. Any given army/squad list must be at least 10% different from whatever army/squad you played last time.

Rule 1 keeps the games moving quick and Rule 2 keeps the games fun.

>That guy who constantly bails to go drinking because he is a college age 20-something.
Literally my entire group. Not so bad since we're all drinking together.