/osrg/ OSR General - Rare Loot Edition

>Troves
They're all done at time of posting.

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Links
pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

>Previous thread:
THREAD QUESTION
>What did the Dragon hoard before men, elves, dwarfs minted coins, cut jewels, and crafted swords?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!AwhlTLKD!J45Rhcm1Hbrm1YdbBwEuVA
aemma.org/misc/medievalprices.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/new-class-really-good-dog.html
deltasdnd.blogspot.co.nz/2010/05/money-results.html
data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Smaller dragons

Anyone got a AD&D 2e revised PHB?

>>What did the Dragon hoard before men, elves, dwarfs minted coins, cut jewels, and crafted swords?
Raw chunks of gold, uncut gems, essences of pure magic, slaves, and more.

mega.nz/#F!AwhlTLKD!J45Rhcm1Hbrm1YdbBwEuVA
Check the Premium Editions folder.

You are awesome, user.

So, question: has anybody here played wolfpacks & winter snow? How did it go, if so?

I like it so far user!

Last time I played with LotFP encumbrance I felt like it was easy to carry a large amount of necessities like torches and food.

Is there a limit to how many of the same kind of item you can carry that collectively only count as one item for encumbrance?

I would feel like 5 items being a good limit, so that 10 torches would count as 2 encumbrance points.

This would make it harder to stockpile light sources without giving up mobility and room for loot.

Not explicitly:
> Multiple small items of the same type (spikes, arrows, etc.) count as one item for this purpose. Worn clothing, armor, and jewelry do not count for encumbrance purposes. All weapons count as separate items. Very small single items do not count for encumbrance purposes. Oversized items are counted separately.

Your solution works fine, you could also just count them as separate items but that might be a little too far in the other direction.

>What did the Dragon hoard before men, elves, dwarfs minted coins, cut jewels, and crafted swords?

The wondrous and arcane treasures of the Elder Folk. Surely you did not presume those 3 lesser races were the first to craft treasures?

Unrefined metals, and the greatest of dragons learned how to refine them and make them beautiful, and make magically imbued items. The dragons became lazy once smaller beings started making stuff.

5 torches encumber you the same as a sword? That means you could carry 50 torches and still be unencumbered, which seems a bit excessive. I think I'd go with 2 or 3 rather than 5.

Thanks!

Here's a slightly-revised and somewhat re-formatted version. I also added in the Student and Faculty names and brief personalities that I forgot in the original.

The rules state that a DM can should determine when players are carrying enough small items to qualify as an 'item' for encumbrance purposes.

I've usually done '3 or more' as the quick and fast rule, so a player could carry a a torch and a backup, but carrying three counts as an 'item' towards their limit.

Dragons hoarded Dungeons, like a jewish landowner.

The first 5 item slots are "free" so according to the suggestion of 5 torches per point you can carry 25 of them before getting an encumbrance level.

With 3 torches per slot you end up at 15 torches (and nothing else). 16 torches and a freshly rolled character is encumbered.

I think I like that, 3 is a good number.

The dragons covet beauty in all of its forms, and for that purpose they would stake their claim on natural beauty. Their lairs would be positioned to view gorgeous landscapes, and they would jealously guard their territory against any intruders.

>The first 5 item slots are "free" so according to the suggestion of 5 torches per point you can carry 25 of them before getting an encumbrance level.
6-10 items give you 1 point of encumbrance. 0-1 points of encumbrance = "unencumbered".

So at 3 torches per slot, you could carry 30 (and nothing else) and still move at full speed.

This. You're not lightly encumbered until you have 2 points of encumbrance, and you can carry 15 items before that point. That means that it would take 16 items or 48 torches at the '3 per item' rating in order to hit 2 points of encumbrance and be Lightly Encumbered.

I'm retarded. It's 11 items or more to hit lightly encumbered, not 16 or more.

30 torches.

LotFP encumbrance was a good starting point for my games. Easy to use, actually helping in organizing items too. But I noticed even then encumbrance mattered rarely, in fact. My group is pretty good at managing equipment, they always bring a few retainers and never give much stuff to armored people. Either they're too good or I'm a shit DM, but encumbrance mattered like two or three times in my admittedly short experience with OSR and DMing in general (23 sessions)
1) They were on a way out of the dungeon, totally loaded with jewelry and gold. Sadly, random encounters were just totally going their way and no life-threatening conflict emerged. Which is okay, but common sense encumbrance system would've suffice.
2) One guy got greedy and had to throw out his backpack when the party ran but again, it was painfully obvious he’d be encumbered.
So I decided I need to make it somewhat stricter and also emphasize where the things are and made something like Last Gasp's encumbrance system:

You have a backpack consisting of 5 + Str or Con (whichever higher) slots, and you have 8 slots on yourself – boots, pouches, anything.

First 8 (12 for dwarves) slots filled give you 1st point of enc, per usual LotFP rules. Reaching the limit of your Str or Con gives you 2nd point. Going over it is 3rd point. Chain and plate are per LotFP, 1 and 2 points respectively.

Chases: your speed is d10+dex. Enc points directly penalize this roll.

Alternative is common sense encumbrance which works whenever it's not the dungeon.

I let them pack torches in a bundle of 3 btw. I also require at least 2 torches for a party of 6 or more people.

>First 8 (12 for dwarves) slots filled give you 1st point of enc, per usual LotFP rules
>per usual LotFP rules

Derp, it's not per usual LotFP rules and I don't know why I wrote this here. Nevermind.

Men, elves, and dwarves. Men mint coins as tribute, elves cut jewels as tribute, dwarves forge swords as tribute, so that dragons stop hoarding entire towns worth of mortals.

I totally missed that though. I forgot that both items and encumbrance get to go up a bit before it starts counting.

I love LotFP and its encumbrance system, but I'll admit that it takes some work to commit to memory. I had to go fetch my book while reading these posts because I couldn't remember exactly how it works without staring at a reference sheet.

For those of you at home, read along here!

The rules say that not every item counts towards encumbrance, so just.. Try and imagine that anything heavy or awkward counts, and ignore small things.

I always liked the stones system of encumbrance. It simplifies things by using large units, but it's more direct than LotFP's system.

Begging for the 'Deep Carbon Observatory' adventure.

Were it not for the fact that it would be confusing, I'd suggest using 7 or 8 pound stone (units of measure vary widely and these are actually historically legitimate). These smaller units would give you a bit more fidelity while still keeping the number of overall units relatively small.

8 stone = platemail
4 stone = chainmail
2 stone = leather or heavy item (shield, great weapon, etc.)
1 stone = standard item (sword, helmet, etc.)
1/3 stone = light item (torch, dagger, etc.)

You are moderately encumbered (9" move) starting at 1/2 your strength in stones. You are heavily encumbered (6" move) starting at your full strength in stones. You are severely encumbered (3" move) starting at twice your strength. You are over encumbered (1" move) starting at thrice your strength. At four times your strength, you cannot move at all.

But are torches the same as arrows or nails? One of the issues was stockpiling important resources.

By making it harder to carry loads of rations and torches you get, theoretically, more mechanical incentive to take trips back and forth to an adventuring location or dungeon.

I want that style of tactical resource management in my games, so that's why I bring it up.

Anyone got the 0 level wizard spell list???

Another thing is that by making things more cumbersome, you get more immediate response when grabbing stuff which simplifies the system a bit.

In a way, I want to reduce the granularity a bit perhaps.

0 Level? I think DCC might have some, since you start at level 0 in that game, but it's the same any others' 1st level spells. Otherwise 5Es Prestidigitation spell makes sense. It's a single spell that covers all street magic. Stuff like making something warm, card tricks, benign sparks, etc.

Just to add to the Stone discussion ACKS takes a similar approach to LoTFP and also provides a guideline of 1 Stone = 10 lbs. It uses ascending AC where each point of AC = 1 stone. 1000 coins is 1 stone.

Tiers in ACKS are at

Slightly late on the thread hexcrawl seed question, but here it is:

The PCs have come across a abandoned wizard's tower/sanctum/atelier. What is the nature of the wizard's abode? Where is the wizard, and what sort of experiments have been running in his absence?

Anyone DMing or playing an OD&D game? That is, using the three little brown book as the basis for your game? If yes, what are your house rules? (the 3LBB being what they are, even "RAW" requires a bit of interpretation, so everyone will have house rules).

There's this. Also there's a pdf of cantrips for B/X.

Also this by some fa/tg/uy.

I'm looking for the Grey Book, an OD&D retroclone that sadly is punk as fuck and doesn't comply to the OGL, but looks very useful to those who need clear yet left untouched OD&D rules in an easier to read format than the booklets. Anybody got a copy?

There's a pdf with some B/x cantrips

I liked this PDF for ideas in general, I love the idea of a shield you can sacrifice to soak up the damage from one attack.

I want to develop my own currency system for my setting.
Do you guys have any good resources for starting on a project like this or is this more suited towards the worldbuilding general?

What are some things in a dungeon that two player could interact with at the same time?

Stuff like a heavy door that two people need to lift, tall things that two people need to stand on each other to reach, a lever that opens something on the other side of the room only when it is being pulled etc.

Do you/does your DM let the players be weird things, like a dog, a goblin etc? Or is it strictly the classes laid out in the rulebook?

hrmm.

will help for figuring out real world historical prices of things.

deltasdnd.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/on-money.html
This guy discusses the OD&D price list and its relation to real world coins.

Good places to start at least.

Personally I'm going with a 1gp:10sp:100cp breakdown, with cp being the base coin. All prices in cp. DCC's xp system so gold-for-xp doesn't matter.

That would be something to consider if you're using gp-for-xp.

Dog? Probably not. We usually play as humans and demihumans, but monstrous characters aren't out of the question, especially in a campaign geared to it.
The campaign with my last DM had quite a menagerie of weird races. Minotaur (me), an awakened skeleton, and a pandafolk from not-Japan (he was actually a very good roleplayer and not a weeaboo furry like I expected). This was 5e, though.

>Dog
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/new-class-really-good-dog.html

a normal regular Dog is a bit too out there, but I'm massively in favor of weird esoteric races and classes in my games, would love a game based on this pic, with a similar number of playable races as well

Do you guys use the rule for required training in between levels?
Personally I kinda like it because it adds more downtime for your character and allows more things to happen in the background, like fortress building or dungeons restocking.

But some of my players think its "really weird and doesn't make sense." The EXP they earn on adventures and from treasure is much more important.

I'm a little torn on how to handle it. It isn't that important but id prefer to go by the RAW until i have some more experience with the OSR style before i change things.

Okay, so there's a dog class and a mule class. That's two thirds of a fairy tale adventuring party right there.

An urbane townhouse in the most fashionable part of the city, filled with luxurious amenities.

Since the wizard disappeared during a demonstration of a strange new device, parts of the house have become cospatial with a strange dimension, peopled by bizarre (but not unusually hostile) creatures.

The surrounding homeowners engage the adventurers to protect their property values.

I would not enjoy it as a player. It has no quality of challenge, and unless training is a sort of adventure unto itself, it's really just a hoop to jump through.

It's a nice idea to try to flesh out the characters lives a little, but it's hard to keep that sort of thing from feeling like roleplaying your character's filing a tax return or clipping coupons to save a few copper pieces on torches and field provisions.

Thank you for answering.

Would you prefer leveling up in the middle of a dungeon crawl?
Or should I just not worry about that at all?
Personally I prefer to level up in between sessions and that usually means the party is in some safe place, usually a town. But that may be related to playing trash like pathfinder where leveling up is a bitch to work through.

>Would you prefer leveling up in the middle of a dungeon crawl?
No, just do it at the end of the adventure/session.

At least in OSR games, I generally tally XP for goldpieces that are retrieved from a dangerous wild place and returned to civilization. So the bulk of XP is only awarded when the players reach some kind of safety (which might be as simple as returning to a main camp if they're way out in the frontier).

I count monster and miscellaneous XP immediately, making it possible (but unlikely) to level up mid-crawl.

So, is it worth the effort to move to a silver standard and have realistic prices?

Silver standard yes but you'll never really achieve "realistic prices" user. And you shouldn't, even. Just call the prices as you see fit. After all, if you're in a big city or a military outpost or something, heftier metal armor will be easier and cheaper to come by, and leathers are much more common in rural areas. Same can be said of adventuring gear, in that areas that don't have many threats or dungeons and stuff may have the stuff but it's more expensive since they don't need it but an area that is dangerous and laden with threats will probably have plenty of the items the party may need and sell them cheaper due to the quantity and the need to strike out against the threats.

Honestly D&D pricing is not really that far off assuming a late medieval/early modern bias. A sword in B/X is 100 silver pieces.

Advancement will proceed far more quickly off meager treasures too. At a rate of 1sp=1xp, 10,000xp is only 1000gp, which means even a modest haul or hoard is worth many, many levels. By the time PCs have enough to afford a castle their XP will be stratospheric.

One alternative is to keep 1xp=1gp but just give out bigger piles of silver - this presents logistical headaches without messing with the advancement rate too much.

If the intent is to keep PCs poor and emulate sword-and-sorcery fiction, consider another XP mechanic altogether. You could for example award XP only for gold spent on frivolous purposes with no further benefit like ale and wenches (or alternately, give XP again when spent on frivolous purposes and then give smaller hoards, giving players a choice between saving now or investing in their characters).

I was thinking of making most PHB items cost Silver rather than Gold like so:

deltasdnd.blogspot.co.nz/2010/05/money-results.html

In this case all you're doing is a cosmetic difference - replacing piles of gold with equivalent piles of silver. This isn't a great deal of work and Delta even notes most OD&D prices are pretty close (and discrepancies can easily be explained by regional or time differences).

As for the cost of chain and plate - it all depends on where you're looking. Munitions grade plate by the 1600s could indeed be in the region of 50-80gp, and in fact was cheaper by that point to make than chain mail (which was labour-intensive).

As far as pricing goes - there's incredible variance in medieval pricing, and keep in mind decoration and conspicuous displays of wealth was still the norm. Consider that a Rolls Royce and a Honda are both functionally cars, but the former is far more expensive for a variety of factors that are hard to model in concrete rules. The same goes even more so for medieval prices - a suit of plate armour might be a mass-produced set worth just 50gp or an ornate prince's set chased with designs worth 5000gp. Functionally both are pretty similar but the latter communicates birth and social station (which might actually protect the individual as enemies will aim to capture and ransom rather than kill outright).

This probably has made the rounds before but
show some examples of this. For example in England in 1590, "lance armour" is given as a little more than 3 pounds - that would be 60 shillings - still the cost of a few oxen, but not . Plate armour certainly would have been more expensive in an earlier era. On the other hand the armour for the Prince of Wales in 1614 cost more than a hundred times the amount - 340 pounds.

Finally the other thing to keep in mind is that for most of pre-modern history the economy was DIY; people generally made things themselves if they needed them, borrowed them from neighbours, or just did without. Buying and selling was mostly the province of merchants, travelers, and nobility, which made for very segregated and regional markets. Getting "realistic prices" would add a whole meta-game on top; I'm sure it would be a fun diversion, but the "shopping list" nature of most D&D games is so that the focus remains on the dungeon crawl.

Here's an expanded, slightly tweaked version of that.

Can anyone recommend more really stripped down OSR stuff like The Black Hack?

I really enjoy the level-0 cantrips for this Witch class.

So just keep them in a sort of boom/bust of cycle of getting sick loot, but having to spend money on training.

It just feels like there are two economies in DnD. There's the shopping list of the PHB equipment, which is plausible. Then you have things that are more or less incremented in 100s of GP as if they're a more abstract sort of wealth, which doesn't mesh with low-level bean-counting.

Those two systems vary a lot in how much trouble carrying coins is. LotFP counts a 100 coin as one item. That means you can carry about 2000 sp max.

In the stones system its 1000 coins per stone. You could carry 3-5 thousand or more!

>If yes, what are your house rules?
I tend to ignore elves because I don't like dealing with their rules, I'm lazy. Unless someone wants to play one and is willing to give me a good interpretation of them.

When I've played at high levels in the past, I've used FFC to provide the missing rules for "investments" in holdings.

>Do you/does your DM let the players be weird things, like a dog, a goblin etc? Or is it strictly the classes laid out in the rulebook?
I also allow orcs, treating them as equivalent to humans.

>yes, including level limits

Hey Grogs and Fa/tg/uys- I really want to put in spellcasting and demon summoning services in my game- for basic dnd: Is there some sort of resource out there for spellcasting service costs? I can't find anything of the sort on the B/X, LL or OSRIC, and I don't know the RC well enough. Can anyone point me the right direction?

>Then you have things that are more or less incremented in 100s of GP as if they're a more abstract sort of wealth, which doesn't mesh with low-level bean-counting.

But this is exactly the point about economies, medieval or not, that I'm trying to make - there are poor quality things, there are rich things, and there are one-of-a-kind things that aren't for sale. Furthermore, there might not be a market for them. You might have a fantastic suit of armour but it's only worth as much as the market will bear.

Those expensive sort of things are ballpark GP values to give the GMs and players some idea of the value of an object, and to give players a shot at advancement as XP curves get higher. How complex you want to handle the economic end is up to you - you could run a campaign where everything sells at sticker price, or if you want to spend the effort perhaps PCs need to track down a buyer as well.

The wizard's abode is a sprawling mansion, totally uninhabited.

All of the mirrors in the mansion are secretly entryways to a sinister mirror-reality that the wizard has accidentally trapped himself in.

The mirror-mansion has become a dungeon infested with horrors that the wizard is unwilling or unable to deal with. Good luck!

Actually ran this scenario for my players. Nearly TPK'd the poor bastards.

How does one get into making and modifying OSR stuff? I mean it seems a bit dense with all the different competing variations and so on.

ACKS (which is based on B/X) suggests a scale of 10/40/150/325/500gp for 1st-5th level Divine spells, and a scale of 5/20/75/325/1250/4500gp for 1st-6th level Mage spells, but that's only one-half of the equation: the chance to find a spellcaster capable of casting the desired spell level decreases as towns get smaller (it's impossible to find anyone who can cast higher than a level 2 spell in a Class VI hamlet, for example).

I recommend taking a look at the ruleset for more details; even if you don't necessarily agree with the pricing or probability the structure is very helpful for coming up with your own.

>tfw you used to have everything from that giant 16gb AD&D torrent with everything from novels to splatbooks to boxed sets
>tfw you lost it when your hard drive died
>tfw the trove is down
>tfw nobody is seeding that torrent anymore

I wanted to share some of that desu

One of these days we should do an /osrg/ pastebin with annotations on different retroclones, but generally speaking:

1. Figure out what kind of campaign you want. Do you want to do just dungeons? Do you want wilderness adventures? Is dense economic simulation important? Is the whole "PCs eventually invest dungeon wealth into a castle and empire" important? Do you just want to run an "epic journey" type campaign with an OSR ruleset?

2. Pick a ruleset:

(cont'd in next post)

In terms of rulesets:

OD&D: The granddaddy of them all. Ultra light and needs a ton of interpretation.

Swords and Wizardry (S&W): OD&D with the copyright scrubbed off and turned into something more readable. The Complete rules give you something closer to B/X.

Basic/Expert D&D (B/X): The more useable out of the box version of OD&D. A lot of retroclones are based on this nowadays so I don't think

Labryinth Lord (LL): It's basically B/X but with the copyright scrubbed off.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess (LotFP): B/X, but simpler and lighter, making characters even weaker. Less GM help, but rules are free.

Adventurer Conqueror King (ACKS): B/X with a few houserules. More emphasis on castle/nation-building end-game. Lots of help in terms of concrete numbers for the sorts of unexpected questions (i.e. I want to buy all the horses in town X, how much will that be?)

Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC): Fusion of B/X, 3.x, AD&D, and a ton of wild houserules often involving random subtables (like spell miscast effects resulting in the wizard mutating horribly).

Beyond the Wall (BtW): B/X with some storygame elements (lifepath-based character creation, for example). Great for emulating fantasy literature and "hero's journey" stories. Not often raised here because piteous deaths are par the course for most OSR rulesets.

AD&D1e - not to be confused with 2nd edition (1e): Different approach compared to B/X, features more rules that lead to greater granularity (the flat attribute bonuses of B/X are broken down across a greater range of things). Slightly more heroic characters but this is all relative.

The nice thing about OSR rulesets is that since most of them are pretty similar you can actually pull bits and pieces from other ones. Frankensteining your own ruleset together by patching together a bunch of different rulesets is pretty common and pretty accepted - and generally it's part of the business model for a lot of these writers.

For example, you might settle on something lightweight like LotFP, but spice things up with DCC's class abilities and spell miscasts, and then while building the campaign world you might consult ACKS for help in determining prices, market classes of towns, demand modifiers, seeding your hexmap, and so forth.

Let's see, a Roman silver denarius seemed to usually be a bit less than 1/100 of a pound. A Roman gold aureus was closer to 1/60 of a pound, but it was typically worth 25 denarii, so if we're using silver as the basis of our monetary system (like the Romans did), you'd have to cut down the size of the gold coin significantly to bring it into the 10 sp to 1 gp range. Also, the later gold solidus usually weighed a bit less than 1/100 of a pound (and was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 3,000 denarii, which had been thoroughly debased by that time, containing very little actual silver).

So 1/100 weight for a coin seems to make pretty good sense. That means that 1,000 would weigh about 10 pounds. A stone is 14 pounds, so if anything, the stones encumbrance system is slightly underestimating how many coins you should be able to carry (assuming the strength figures are correct). Anyway, looking a guy with 9 strength can carry up to 6 stones (that's 84 pounds) and be only lightly encumbered (3/4 movement speed). That's 6000 coins.

In LotFP, lightly encumbered (3/4 movement) is 2 points of encumbrance. 100 coins count as one regular item, and you can carry 5 regular items per encumbrance point. That means you can carry up to 1,500 coins and still be lightly encumbered. That's only 1/4 as many as your could using the stones method (and that's when we're looking at a fairly low strength character). If coins are 1/100 a pound, that's only 15 pounds of coins, which is pathetically little.

Of course, Moldvay Basic has coins weigh 1/10 of a pound, despite saying that a coin is about the size and weight of an American half-dollar, which is a pretty sizable coin, but still a smidgen less than 1/36 of a pound, according to the internet. A silver dollar, on the other hand, can weigh a bit more than 1/15 of a pound at the upper end (American Eagle) or a bit more than 1/18 of a pound at the lower end (Eisenhower). And silver dollars are fucking huge.

The White Hack. Into the Odd is also sort of OSR I guess? Both are definitely stripped down.

If you don't have a specific campaign in mind I'd recommend taking a look at either B/X or one of the "first-gen" retroclones (restatements of the rules to avoid copyright issues): either LL or S&W.

Stuff like ACKS, LotFP, Beyond the Wall, DCC, and so forth might be categorized as "second-generation" retroclones - they're distinctly based on D&D, but a restatement of the rules is not their intent - instead they are sharing a way to morph the rules to better fit a particular style of play or genre - ACKS for going from adventurers to kings, LoTFP and DCC for horror (or heroism in the face of horror), Beyond the Wall for "farm-boy to legend", etc.

And since each of these rulesets are so focused, they can be patched into your campaign should your players turn out to be interested in one of these categories.

>mule class
Link?

It's noncommercial, so I'll just post it.

Whitehack, The Black Hack, and Into The Odd are all pretty good, I'd also recommend Microlite 74, although that one is at it's best when you add in a lot of the supplementary material written for it, which makes it a bit more complex(still pretty light overall by OSR standards though)

Wouldn't happen to have Black Hack stuff would ya?

Petal Hack and Stellar Hack are FREE on rpgnow.

Of course, costs are different in LotFP, so comparing the spending capacity of the coins you can carry is a bit tricky. Later versions of LotFP use the silver standard, which effectively means that a coin is worth 10 times as much if the numbers by the prices of items are the same. If you can carry 4 times fewer coins in LotFP, that still gives you 2.5 times the spending power. But then, prices aren't the same.

Moldvay Basic / LotFP

leather armor 20 gp / 25 sp
chainmail 40 gp / 100 sp
platemail 60 gp / 100 sp

spear 3 gp / 5 sp
(normal) sword 10 gp / 20 sp

50' rope 1 gp / 3 sp
lantern 10 gp / 3 sp
flask of oil 2 gp / 5 cp
holy water 25 gp / 25 sp

So I really don't know how you compare things.

nothing that isn't watermarked unfortunately, same with Into The Odd and Microlite 74(although Microlite is available for free)

It's important not to forget LotFP's gold piece is also worth an incredible 50sp. So a stack of 100 gold coins is actually worth 5000sp, which is a tremendous amount of purchasing power.

True, and also remember that much of the treasure also tends to be gems or other precious metals as well.

Ah. Yeah, I hadn't considered that. It used to be that LotFP used the gold standard and 10 sp equaled 1 gp. I wonder what the reason for the change was. A 1:50 exchange rate is actually closer to what is accurate for today (which is approximately 1:68), but if we go by Roman coinage, it was closer to 1:20 historically. And, of course, with different purities and coin sizes, we can achieve a wide range of exchange values. 1:10 is nice and easy to do, while 1:50 is obnoxious and far less calculation friendly, as you can't just move the decimal over one place.

How would you create a Discworld Troll race either as a race/class or a race with restrictions?

I wonder if it's historical or a mechanical reason behind Raggis decision to use 1 gp = 50 sp

I found this thing on the historical value of gold, though I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Probably a pragmatic reason as well as an attempt to capture a more "low-fantasy" feel.

Making gold more valuable allows players to actually be able to carry a significant amount of cash on their persons in the lategame without having to rely on paper writs from banks or the like. It also makes gold treasure that much more dramatic of a find.

Charts like this pretty much show there's enough fluctuations in economics in both time and place that it makes attempts at "realism" sort of like chasing the wind. Go with a coinage standard that fits with the game's agenda.

If anything, having different types of coinage from different places (potentially with different values) will create a greater feeling of verisimilitude than just changing the metal.

Using this inflation calculator data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl I get the following values...

The peak value of gold, in the year 1492, in 2016 US dollars would be $3468.

The peak value in 1482 would be $3546.

Since we don't know the exact dates things were measured from, and since they might've used slightly different metrics for current dollar values, those seem acceptably consistent.

The actual price of gold today is $1,327 per ounce.

>It also makes gold treasure that much more dramatic of a find.
Which seems like it runs counter to a gritty, down to earth feel, as finding a relatively small amount of gold treasure could make you stinking rich.

That's the idea

LotFP isn't quite intended to be "gritty and down to earth" it's more surreal than real.

I mean fundamentally a key part of the design mentality with it is how fucking insane and stupid the idea of adventuring is, basically the peak of gambling.

You could go be a fucking banker or farmer but no, you wanna make it big by trying not to get ground into a paste in some hellish fucking abominable pit in god knows where.

Road To El Dorado is how more campaigns should turn out