Chimera Legion Thread II: Of Paint and Princes

Last Thread: This is a thread to expand the fluff of the Chimera Legion, a chaos space marine warband that Veeky Forums randomly rolled up using the 1d4chan creation tables.

What we rolled and some little things we have so far:
Chimera Legion

>Organization
Legion warband with cultists

>Which legion?
Iron warriors

>Who do we worship and how much?
Neutral devotion to Chaos undivided

>Our beliefs?
Gods above all

>Our demeanor?
Honor among thieves

>Mutations?
Voices of evil

>Any notable figures?
A chaos champion who ascended to daemon princehood

>Homeworld?
Fleet based

>Combat doctrine?
Unorthodox warfare

>Special equipment?
Biological experiments

>Warband status?
Slightly under strength

>Why?
A part of the Warband was assimilated by or was attacked by another Chaos-aligned entity.

>Who likes us?
Another chaos warband or lord

>Who are our enemies?
An Ork WAAAAAGH/warboss

>What about minor Xenos?
Some possibly exitinct Ayyyyylmaos AKA the Uluméathic League

This has led to a relatively affable group of mad scientist bioterrorism mercenaries, with an attendant body horror cult of henchmen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
youtube.com/watch?v=o7ixdHQj3O4
youtube.com/watch?v=otaWQIcTodo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The initial goal of this thread is to really establish our leader and figurehead, Thodos the Ironbringer, and to establish iconography and paintschemes for the warband.

Here's some discussion starters to kinda get the ball rolling.

>What is Thodos' backstory, who was he before ascension to Daemonhood?
>What kind of leader is he?
>What are his current abilities?
>What notable history does he have?

>In your perfect world, what does Thodos look like?

>In your perfect world, what does the Chimera Legion paint scheme look like?

>What major iconography is present in the warband?

So do we just have Obliterators in place of Havocs and Termies?

I mean we've established that the Chimeras make use of Raptors and Warp Talons and even have several flocks in the Bleeding Roost. But some input on the the status of our Heavy Support might be good.

Also our "Daemon Engines" should probably have nods to New Phyrexia as they are made in roughly the same way (Take five people, bolt em together roughly, hack the screaming mass of limbs in half and weld the halves to some large death world lifeform, turn the whole thing inside out and bolt armour and legs to it, inject Obliterator virus and then jam a Daemonhost up its arse.)

youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
youtube.com/watch?v=o7ixdHQj3O4

>>In your perfect world, what does Thodos look like?
Nine or ten foot tall, missing an arm a leg and Power Sword embedded into his head.

Both missing limbs have cables and wires exploding from the wound site and in the case of the arm these are flailing and writhing in the air while the leg has grabbed a servitor and reshaped it.

The power sword has been incorporated into his head and now visibly crackles with energy when he speaks.

I have a loyal sm chapter I can donate to Veeky Forums if you like. They also have a chaos faction.

Posting my take on the Daemon Prince from last thread, although it could also just be a particularly badass Obliterator

Obliterators and Mutilators, yes.

I don't know if we decided if we were using Daemon Engines at all. These guys are mainly focused on using biotechnology to enhance themselves, enhance their cultists, or help them get Obliterated

I envisioned Thodos as a particularly badass Iron Warriors champion. His martial skill was one thing, but what really shined through was his willpower - enough to allow him to bend the Obliterator virus he adopted to his will - and his interpersonal skills, ie: despite being a champion he managed to attract throngs of warpsmiths, cultists, and aspiring future Obliterators to him at the promise of power and direction, as opposed to constant backstabbing and no real purpose.

I still liked the idea that he looks like the Michael Bay Megatron with fleshgoop popping out of him.

He can do anything a normal Oblit does, but even better. He's VERY versatile. Though he likely still issues advice and commands from beyond the veil of reality, I feel like he probably is only ever summoned by the warband if they really need someone dead, as Thodos is probably really keen on challenges.

>RING RING
>"Hey. Yeah, what's up guys?"
>"Hey Thodos, we're having a lot of trouble with this Warboss, we tried to make him a sleeper agent but he wound up taking over, if you could pop in and-"
>"A Warboss? You're calling me for a Warboss? Handle it your own goddamn selves"
>CLICK

>RING RING
>"*sigh* What is it?"
>"Thodos, hey, yeah, we've got this Avatar of Khaine that's been giving us shit"
>"an AVATAR?! Come on guys, they've even got Chaplains killing Avatars these days, figure it out."
>"But Thodos, he's really hard-"
>CLICK

>RING RING
>"I swear to god, if you guys are calling me for some Dreadnought knocking over your fucking building blocks I will-"
>"Swarmlord."
>"...I'll get my stuff."

In reference to the Daemon Engines I'm just going to repost this for posterity. I think its a good summation of their design philosophy.

>Allow me to go on a tangent, if I may.

>Consider the Chimera. A noble, savage, proud beast, but it is greater than the sum of its parts.

>Take the lion, for example. Strong, unyielding, proud. The lion makes the Chimera strong, but strength is overcome by guile and wit, and worn down in the face of adversity.

>But what of the Ram? Yes, the humble ram. He who is of a mindless herd, yet bold, tough, adaptable. The ram may not have the strength of the Lion, nor the venomous faculties of the clever serpent, but he is tenacious and adaptable, able to survive where the others cannot.

>And what of the viper? That most insidious limb of the honourable Chimera. It whispers, flitting in and out of the brush. The Malevolent snake is the alien mind of the Chimera, offering tainted knowledge and deadly venom to an otherwise dumb beast.

>Thus is the marine of the Chimeric Legion , as is their machine God, Thodos the Ironbringer. Proud metal to strengthen changing flesh fueled by the warp.

>Steel and Iron.

>Flesh and Bone.

>Warp and Daemon.

>This is the path that leads to perfection. This is the evolution of the terrible Chimera.

>Should this not be the path of Thodos and his Brothers and Sons, oh brothers mine?

>>"...I'll get my stuff."
I'd love if after this he had this to say.
>"I retire for five minutes and everything goes to shit."

Imagine if they decided to devote some time to making Obliterators out of Blanks?
>"You have no soul!"
>"That's why I have no fear."

Clever, clever. When first posting that picture of Megatron I considered him instead, but I thought he looked too clean.

I think the abject lesson we can take away from this is simple: Don't make a Blank into an Obliterator.

I'm thinking for the color scheme we stick close to the standard IW scheme but incorporate more red, as an allusion to flesh and blood. Maybe have red instead of yellow hazard stripes. Also I'm thinking maybe have the color scheme be a bit "warmer" overall. Like replace the iron with bronze, or at least have bronze pauldrons but keep the rest of the iron.

I like the bronze idea, not so sure about the red. If we replace all the iron with bronze, would that be enough of a difference?

So would we go bronze armor with gold trim and hazard stripes, or go bronze armor with iron trim and hazard stripes? I personally like the second option.

Red can just naturally appear as eye-lights and blood. That's more sinister.

I'm trying to remember the difference between armor and trim, but full bronze is kind of Khorne's thing. Maybe iron armor with bronze trim, and keep the yellow hazard stripes?

Well that's just IW scheme with browner trim. Also brass is Khorne's metal, which is much more "yellow" than bronze. But this is just me being a fag about minor color discrepancies.

Maybe something more understated? These guys are supposed to be professional mercenaries after all

What about all black with a bronze right arm? Hazard stripes are applied sparingly

I like the idea of a bronze right arm. It gives the warband a degree of consistence across all their troops. It's kind of a way of showing just who they are besides their heraldry.

Perhaps an ashy grey instead?

It would complement the bronze nicely.

Matte grey as opposed to iron grey? That might be a bit flat. Maybe if we had a bronze arm AND bronze trim. That way we limit the amount of different metallics and sort of give the impression that the bronze from the arm in laced into the rest of the armor. Not literally of course, but from a design perspective.

As for the heraldry, I believe we agreed a half-IW skull half-hellish lion face over a biohazard symbol. Perhaps the skull be iron/grey, the lion be bronze, and the biohazard symbol be red/hazard yellow.

I agree, iron grey with a bronze arm and highlights would look nice

youtube.com/watch?v=otaWQIcTodo

I'd draft something up in the ol' B&C painter, but it'll come out looking a little drab. Also I don't have the capabilities of adding hazard stripes or anything. If anybody with photoshop or whatever wants to draft up a nice, shiny example they will be lauded.

Cobra/Titan color scheme would look rather nice I think.

Titan?

And yeah, the cobra colors may look nice. Feel free to through out ideas for schemes

What's the Cobra color scheme exactly? Blue, black, and red? I don't know if blue would really work for a non-Tzeentch warband. Maybe blue steel.

Blue Steel could work. Maybe with the bronze arm and red/hazard yellow chevs?

Someone through it into the Painter, and lets see!

I'm on mobile so that's a no go for me

Yes. I think this codifies it. All we need is a photoshopper or something. Could a drawfag whip up the heraldry in the meantime?

For description

An attempt was made

Decent! Mind if I ask what hex code you used for the bronze?

The blue steel is a bit too blue, I imagine it'd come out more like some Grey Knights or maybe a lighter version of Heresy Alpha Legion.

Question to all anons: which arm SHOULD be bronze?

For the bronze I used #CD7F32 (Bronze)

You want to take another whack at it? Maybe make the left leg yellow so all you have to do is spend six years in paint to add the black lines?

Also Right

My right or his right?

Our right

His right arm

I also tried to draw Thodos.

Its awful

It could use a lot of refinement, but I think ot could work.

This does Inspire me to write something though...

Shouldn't the whole leg be hazard striped?

It looks okay though, for a first try

Add decals as desired.

I think Thodos should look less like your standard DP and more like a nightmare of flesh and guns. Super Edgy Megatron is still my first choice.

Agreed. We've established these pics aren't necessarily Thodos, we just don't have any drawfags up to the level needed to actually depict him. No offense to current drawfags, but you see how many fuckin' fiddly bits are on Megatron.

Nonono, I think he has to be much more coherent. Even megatron has a distinct flow in all his armour plates.

Lets just settle on his distinguishing features and then I'll see if I can hit up the Drawthreads.

This works. Anybody disagree?

I liked the drawings where he had four arms, one with a melta/lascannon, one with a defiler claw, one with a warhammer, and one with a missile pod or autocannon.

Also, why not make him have a set of grinders for a mouth? Might be cool

It all looks very smashed together. Like a regular Obliterator.

Thodos needs to look more refined and seamless, like this is how he's MEANT to look

We are adding the hazard stripes on the left leg and pauldron, right?
(my left, not his left)

drawer of here, I've said a few times I'm fine with the Megatron-Daemon-Prince idea, just so long as I don't have to draw it. That shit is well beyond my ability.

You make a good point with the refined look but let's only use Megatron as inspiration rather than an outright basis for Thodos

We'll add them wherever they work, likely on one leg and maybe a vambrace.

Okay, so potential alternative fluff for my dude:

Among the higher ranks of malformed horrors that make up the Chimera Legion, there is little room for individuality. The Obliterator virus bestowed upon their most senior warriors leaves the mind shattered; each victim unique in their physical affliction, but identical in their madness.
However, there are always exceptions to the rule. These exceptions have proven to be invariably more terrifying than their counterparts.
Echidnus, the Toothed Maw, the Perpetually Armed, the Nemesis Trove, (and in some circles The Challenged), is such an exception. What scraps of sanity are left in his diseased mind queerly echo the hunger for glory and sheer avarice that drove him to this form.
His great bulk outstrips even his fellow Obliterators, and his four arms, a gift from the gods before his infection, are studded and intertwined with veritable arsenal of firearms. But his most apparent feature is his back, pierced with dozens upon dozens of diverse and esoteric weaponry. Some have been overgrown so completely that only the hilts now show; certainly there must be many more completely engulfed by his hide.
Echidnus roams the battlefield independent of the Chimera's battle-lines, attended by a pack of Chaos Spawn that feed on his kills. Upon seeing an enemy wielding a weapon that he desires, he charges towards the unlucky foe in a crude imitation of a half-forgotten challenge ritual. After slaughtering the enemy, he will retrieve the desired weapon, and impale himself in the back with it, where it will join his enormous collection.
Echidnus seeks only the greatest and most storied of weaponry. Should any manage to finally slay him, it is expected that they will find countless relic and daemon weaponry lost to the ages, hidden in his flesh.

Currently on Trazyn's Christmas list and the Blood Raven's to-do board.

Forgot the new and improved picture (still in progress)

He's like a gross treasure chest that hates you.

I am stealing that and keeping it forever.

So what about the Chimera Legions allied Warband? Personally I think we should be best bros with Huron Blackheart

Jumping in here, I can see that working out. Not sepcifically the Red Corsairs per say, but some Warband that operates independent of the more devoted Legions. Some mercenary company, someone whom they can trade with for weapons and supplies, and in turn could supply them with a crop of fresh "stock" for experimentation.

Though really, for all I know that could be up Huron's alley

Honestly if we're talking the wealthiest heretics to afford Chimera services, Huron is probably a good customer. Abbadon would probably try to just subsume the Chimera Legion into the Black Legion and bum free mad oblit-science.

Best bros? Nah. The chimeras would be those guys who are good at what they do, but if you aren't talking to them about experiments or jobs they really don't care.

They're mercenaries led by a heavily scared cybrog with a missing eye. They are also doing research on ways to augment humans with diseases, something parasites can cause. He's drawing a connection to MGSV, as that's a vague version of what's happening.

Bingo

And on top of that Perturabo is allied with Abbadon so I assume they would stay clear of his whole Black Crusade

Hmmm... He's also highly charismatic, a legend to his men, and tends to end up fighting the greatest of foes?

We did it... A weapon to surpass Adeptus Titanicus!

Doesn't mean they should be ruled out as allies. Though then again, haven't the Corsairs participated alongside the Black Legion in the last crusade?

We're allies in the sense that we have a good working relationship. They know we get the job done, and we know they have the means to make it worthwhile. Both sides have an invested interest in keeping the other around.

No that was the point I was trying to get at. I just mean is it a wise idea to be allied with a warband that themselves have allied with another warband that aren't fans of us, and by extension the warband they're allied with that we broke off from and that we're trying to avoid?

The black legion are neutral to us and frankly the only people they want to stay away are Perturabo and the Iron Warriors still following him

Listen, if you can't play the game step away from the table. Business is business, baby, you gotta take risks for payday.

They aren't allies? Shit.
Point made. Withdrawn.

Well they're allies in the sense that pretty much every Warband is allied with Abaddon because he's the chaos warmaster

You know, maybe a more fleshy cyberdemon from DOOM could work for Thodos. Dunno about the head, do we want him to look more like an astartes or daemon?

Could be both, try slapping an astartes helmet grille over that mouth, that could do it.

I can see like having an augmetic eye with the remaining casing on one side.

Absolutely, have him and Megatron do the fusion dance and we'll have our Ironbringer

Plus the Cuberdemon has a bronze-ish arm already, so that's a bonus.

THIS THIS THIS

We're getting very close to a final product. My only probablemente with Cyberdemon from DOOM is that he's a litttle fat for my tastes. Which is why I dont really like this one for Thodos It's just too stumpy.

I think I'm going to go to Souz and get this commissioned

Did we decide on our allies?

Somebody suggested Red Corsairs but otherwise I don't think so.

What if we don't have any, like, REAL allies, but pretty much every warband in our area have hired our services enough that we're, like, tenuous allies with a lot of people?
Like, we can leverage that we're useful, enough to get minor aid from almost anyone, but no one likes us enough to really have our backs?

Don't know if the roll supports that, but it's an idea.

>The Pride of Thodos swelled, pullasting, twisting flesh girding against plates of twisting metal, the kinfe like vessel shuddering in the void like a woman in the throes of a violent birth. The rest of the Chimeric fleet silently drifting in the void, like attendant midwives, bristling with anticipation.

>Within the groaning interior of the mighty Pride marines, crew, and cultists poured into the twisting halls and layered decks, sprinting to the command deck of the ship. The warband flooded through tunnels, bulkheads, walkways, and through the great sweeping doorway that lead to the heart of the ship. The marines stood in tight formations around a great dias of smooth black metal. The champions of the warband stood upon the periphery of this obsidian column in grim silence. The crew and attendant cultists huddled on the deck and in balconies and on gangways in a chittering, awed mass.

>The champions then nodded to one another and then in unison spilled their own blood. Some poured blood, already shed, from vials or chalices. Others drug blades across exposed flesh, allowing their lifeblood to splash against the glossy surface. The commanders called the formations to attention and the marines snapped to with a thunderous clap. The cult fell silent, cowed by the display.

>A moment passed, the air pregnant with anticipation, then with a sound like a whip crack in reverse the inky surface of the dias began to ripple and churn and heave like stormy ocean water before illuminating with a pale light and droning howl. From the tumultuous pool rose a mighty figure, dripping in luminous metal.

>Spears, axes, swords, shields, and even fire arms adorned his broad back, each a monument to a failed attempt to kill him. He rolled his great shoulders and unfolded his thick arms, spreading them wide and ushering a mighty, bellowing roar. The champions nealt as their lord towered over them. The marines followed suit and the crowd, now wild with zeal and fervor fell to their knees.

>Had the Prince a face it would bear a satisfied grin. This was all of course, theatrics. He had already been on board the vessel for a few days now, and had already discussed the battle plans with his lieutenants for the encroaching Ork fleet, that even now as the ceremony proceeded drew closer and closer in what they thought was a sneak attack.

>But this was Thodos' specialty. There were many Princes more powerful than he, even though he himself was a force to be reckoned with, and many a Tzeentchian Daemon several times more clever. But there was few with greater charisma, with a greater sense of gravitas. Thodos knew how to hold an audience, command respect, lead soldiers and be rewarded with loyalty. He was charismatic in was that Slanneshi lords could not be, not in that cloying, sickly sweet manner in which they did everything, nor through fear or mere domination alone like Khornate warriors. Thodos knew when to laugh menacingly, when to reward a soldier, how to punish failure. He had forsight and tactical acumen in all aspects if his existence, which is why he was a Daemon Lord with a successful warband and a large fleet.

>Which is why every single approaching ork would find graves in the void.

Okay, so I know I said I wouldn't, but I made a quick sketch of what it might look like.

I tried to make it a little less bulky than the cyberdemon, but I don't know how well that went. I could probably raise the head up.
Each hand has a few ranged weapons, some claws, and a melee weapon or two, each of which can retract into the forearm. I did kind of an Adam Jensen thing for the forward arm, where the blade can come out the wrist, or out of the elbow, and can be used for attacks either way.

You should probably still get it commissioned, but I just wanted to take a stab at it.

Love it!

I just imagine him whipping out 4 power swords and start to spin them Grevious style!

>He let out a deep chuckle, low and menacing, and waved a hand over the crowd, "RISE, MY LEGION." The crowd, marines, crew, and cultist alike cheered and hollered and screamed.

>He was about to begin his usual inspiring speech when the claxons of the Pride began to cry out. Thodos was partly relieved, he knew the veterans had heard many such a speach before and simply wished to go back to doing whatever menial task they were entertaining themselves with. He also partly incensed, as he loathed above all things being interrupted.

>He wasted no time in assuming command from his champions, striding to the edge of the dias, now solid and silent once more. "ASSUME BATTLE STATIONS, AND PREPARE FOR COMBAT!" His legion roared with glee as they poured out, and those whose place of duty was at the bridge itself rushing to their places. Without much preamble the Ork fleet jumped into view, evenly matched with his own.

>"HAIL THE KAPTAIN. I WOULD SEE HIS FACE BEFORE IT IS SEARED OFF BY OUR WARPFYRE CANNONS."

>The bridge obliged and the screen crackled and seethed before the blurry image of the ork Kaptain filled the display, "Ahhh, so if it izn't tha spikey warboss 'imself! 'Is time my kruzas will rip roight through ya puny spoikey defencez!" Thodos chuckled, amused, folding his arms behind his back, "YOU ASSUME MUCH, MY GREEN SKINNED FREIND. I WONDER IF THIS FIREPOWER SUPERIORITY YOU CLAIM TO POSSESS WILL HELP YOU AGAINST THIS!" He cut the transmission with a dismissive wave of his hand and the display then filled with the faces of the captains of his other ships, all confirming their positions. A perfect flanking maneuver.

>He would have grinned, had he a face, and addressed his fleet, sweeping his arm towards the approaching xenos fleet, talons closing together and metal flowing across his arm to form a commanding blade, wreathed in crimson, crackling warp flame. As he did so he ushered a single command.

>"CHIMERAS; ATTACK!"

That's it. What do you think?

This actually really good.

I love how the personality of Thodos has really been codified now as one of a highly competent leader, and not a do-it-all Mary Sue

Just think, soon we might have our very own page on 1d4chan and my life will be complete

He's a competent Cobra Commander in Megatron's Warp-infested body. I love it.

I really like the character of Thodos, he's Megatron with faithful soldiers, Cobra Commander who treats his soldiers fairly, but still devious and evil. He just happens to be a smidgen more sane than most.

Beat me to it. You bastard.

But now that we know who he is, and have a pretty good idea of what he looks like, perhaps we can talk about who he was before ascension? How did he come to be the commander of this legion?

I love it. He's the perfect mix of all four major aspects of chaos, which fits perfectly since he is a daemon Prince of chaos undivided. Decisive leadership mixed with a bit of theatrics that you'd see from a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Like said, he isn't a do it all Mary Sue. No, his power comes from his charisma and leadership.

You did good writefag, you did good.

Thanks. Feedback is always necessary

But seriously lets try and focus on this so we can have the thread a movin'

In the meantime I'm trying to photoshop this because Souz isn't hitting me back and I don't have all day.

Photoshop is the gayest most obtuse program I've ever had to face and I play Dorf Fort

In an effort to practice I made this

GOOD!

Well done user!

You and me both, friend.

I like the Idea of Thodos spending most of his life as a sergeant, then he gets the Obliterator virus and survives it with his mind not intact but certainly not completely fucked. At this point he starts to rise through the ranks of the IW and eventually hits Daemonhood.

If that was the case it could help rationalize the Chimera's view on the virus

Progress on Thodos.

No huge changes yet, but what do you think so far? Am I on the right track?

Lookin' good user!