Dreadnought Appreciation Thread

What is it about these boxy, waddling bastards that's so damn cool nonetheless?

We've all heard again and again about how grimdark and tragic dreadnoughts are, but we all know that pales in comparison to how badass it is to have Combat Iron Lung.

Post your favorite dread-related pics, gifs, vids, stories, characters, anything!

Xenos and other 40k mecha fans welcome to chime in, but ONLY if you promise to start a showdown with a dreadnought.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jD4hD9CuBcM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Contemptors and Deredeos are better dreads, you know.

>BEEP BOOP

They're fucking shit desu.

Ugly as fuck and now the space wolve shit has fucking shields and giant axes.

>saying giant robots wielding giant axes isn't cool as shit

>>>/reddit/

Well if you're autistic and like the multi-colored transformers and the like then sure, you might like them I guess.

Dreds are fucking shit in game and as miniatures.

The problem there lies in that, as awesome and 40k-fitting as the idea is, their arms are too short and stubby to properly wield an axe

We need more variability in terms of equipments from grinder shields to two handed huge autocannons

I will agree the limbs are a bit too stumpy, but I like the imposing bulwark that the box-body provides. Maybe if you mounted contemptor arms and legs to the bulk of a normal dred chassis you'd get something that looks a bit more plausible.

Iron Warriors Contemptor best Contemptor.

I'm probably the only person that got into 40k solely because of dreads.

I think they look so cool in that retro-robot kinda way. Big boxlike, stumpy arms but dangerous as fuck. Couple that with the fact that they're marines that just won't die, and literally live on life support its fucking awesome. I'll show you guys a couple of my painted black templar dreads when I'm home.

youtube.com/watch?v=jD4hD9CuBcM

It works okay.

Ok, yeah the contempt-limbs with box body looks badass. Gives it a broad-shouldered look. Like Optimus Prime.

The box limbs with contempt-body looks like the fat kid of dreadnoughts, that's fucking horrible.

Boxnauts are cool AF and they have a great silhouette, but they really can't be put into interesting poses because they legitimately wouldn't be able to walk IRL.

The animations they get in vidja, etc. all more or less ignore their center of gravity. But if you try to pose the real model on one leg, you're gonna have a bad day.

Tallbox is still pretty cool.

I got in for chaos dreads, does that count?

Dreads are great

I love them

That mash-up works even better, using the contemptor arms.

my lalalanot listening excuse is that their arm joints have different ranges of motion than a human arm which lets them actually swing weapons like that

I love Dreadnoughts. Once upon a time they were real forces to be reckoned with. Your average troops couldn't do anything against them and dedicated anti-tank for far and few between due to limited options and expensiveness. A couple of Dreads (or Wraithlords) could crush another army that didn't have their act together.

Nowadays, I find that Dreads rarely last longer than a couple of turns. Weapons that can strip hull points effectively are both cheap and plentiful for most armies. It doesn't help that they're slow in an edition that rewards fast, agile units.

Still, they're always fun to use just for the few moments that they shine. I'm looking to add a few more Librarians to get that +1 AV power and make my Ironclads 14 AV.

there is only one right answer...Bjorn The Fell Handed.

>i'm so grown up 'n shit
good to know that you already suffer from dementia

>play 30k SW
>like boxnoughts
>SW distrust contemptors
>seems like a good reason to field boxnoughts
>boxnoughts are objectively the worst dread option

I deserve this.

Why didn't FW give contemptors venerable dread style hands instead of those stubby fat dread claws?

a blurry pic of my dreads. sneaky dreads + one ultra and a aurora chapter one.

i just bought the death comapny strike force so theres one more dread on the workbench and after thats finished i think about getting the chapter ancient formation because you can never have enought dreads and i like the blood angels variants.

I love my dreads.

I got suckered in because of Dreadnoughts and Terminators so yeah. I've still got my Assault on Black Reach Dread, now with Chaos Spikes.

Delet these

Did Space Wolves already distrust Contemptors in 31k? If not, why isn't Bjorn in one?

>click on store fronts until they disappear
>They keep reappearing
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

My most effective unit by far has been my Venerable Dreadnought. Some highlights.
>Punching 2 Riptides to death in close combat
>Killing Ghazgkhull in close combat
>Turn one destroying a Land Raider with an explosion result has sniped more vehicles then anything else in my army with his TL Lascannon
> When flying Hive Tyrant landed to duel me,brother Fuck-You-IHateBugious of the Dark Angels got his paint scratched before fisting the fuck out of him.
Also what things have your Dreadnoughts done.

>xenosfag
>Really likes Dreadnoughts, favorite SM unit
>really wants to do a Lamenters killteam that is composed solely of Chyron, the only confirmed surviving Lamenter who is a dreadnought
>can't field dreads in KT
>Even if I could, they're nowhere near as good in gameplay as they are in fluff

I just want one tabletop game where the big bulky walkers are as tough and powerful as they're supposed to be. Looking at you too Warmachine. KHADOR YOU FUCK

Similar issue to SMs on tabletop vs SMs in lore.

No, entire point of thread

I fell for that Khador trap too. "Oh boy this faction has almost entirely cool looking heavy war jacks and dudes in power armor!"

>the only good lists are a bunch of shirtless berserkers or a bunch of Russians backed by 2 mandatory oyster robots

I've been constantly betrayed by games making the least cool options the best ones.
By this time, I barely even register the fact.

Orky Dreads!

I fell for it hardest. I fell for the Man O Wars too. It still hurts

EVEN IN DEATH I - uh - DIE
FOR THOSE I CHERISH

IN GLORY

>shit in game
I take it your fliers never met the Deredeo.

Orky dreds u say

Have a moving one, user

Notice how nobody in this thread, not even yourself, has posted s picture of one of those walking abortions? They are such a good idea with one of the worst torsos of all time.

Dreadnought Appreciation Station!

Anny suggestions for other names? Ex-Lord Ghur is the oldest model I have.

I was looking for this! Goddamn, skubbers can skub about Lord Inquisitor but damn I could just watch that scene on loop. The way they shake the earth.

Fuck you, they're one of the best things from the horus heresy, as it's the old chaos dreadnought design from rogue trader.

The old chaos dread has a dick body, not a fucking boat.

Shocktroopers are good now.

Do you mean crusade drradnoughts? The chaos ones were always fleshy and not Dorito like

Why do the yiffs distrust Contemptors?

WARSMITH BEROSSUS, REPORTING

Whatever happened to the 1st ed Eddies. Will they ever bring them back?

They don't, Mars just doesn't build them for the Yiffs anymore, nor sends them replacement parts for what Contemptors they might still have left, so when they break they're staying broke. There is a price to be paid for teabagging the Inquisition, even if they can't just outright sever all support for the Yiffs without the other First Chapters getting pissy about one of their own being treated like pariahs.

They make people go crazy.

>Loot a Beakie Box
>Hasn't strapped any dakka onto it.
>Just a shitty choppa facing the wrong way

This Mech is a Git

Yes, space crusade chaos dreadnoughts.

They don't really like them

What about Doom Eagles?

I AM ALREADY DEAD AND I WAS ALREADY SERVING

Internal propaganda to keep up morale. Grimnar just doesn't want to admit that the AdMech is keeping nice toys away from them out of pride. It's too important that the Yiffs think they won that bitchfight or else they lose face. That's why Bjorn's in a boxy bitch buggy instead of a new Contemptor like he was before Magnus broke it.

I fucking love all the Dreadnoughts. Boxnoughts, Contemptors, Deredeo. I hope they make a Furibundus. The Alpha Legion Contemptor makes me diamond hard.

>headcanon, the post.

I have 4 dreadnaught models from that 5th ed starter box. I swapped with some ork players and ended up with 4.

Too bad space marines are boring and dreadnaughts are shit in game now, otherwise they would be fucking bad ass with my IG :(

Carcharodons? Not covered in blood? HERESY! HERESY I SAY!

I think the one thing I really want to see from necrons is some mecha equivalent. I love the necrons, and I love mecha, but nobody's invented that metallic flavor of recces cup yet.

Maybe like some kind of extension-body for an overlord who really wants to wreck shop? Or a giant powered by the fused energies of dozens of necrontyr? I think there was some kinda giant necron in an old 40k comic.

Incidentally: necron titans, where are these as well? Tau fucking get them, but not skelly boys?

A assumed those shitty brown patches were supposed to be a realistic take on months-old blood splatters.

There was the Setekh, but that was back in the old-cron days and he never had a model obviously.

Usually the Necrons have used the C'tan/shards as their equivalents to both superheavy tanks and Titans. In more recent stuff, Ascendant C'tan go toe to toe with Titans and win.

I cant really picture anything but a more giant skeleton guy, which would be kind of a cop out.

Maybe one day they will make a mini void dragon titan.

Just looks like mud and rust to me.

I would like to see more tallbox dreadnoughts.

Hell, even the dread from their official art is covered in blood.

I think that's what the Contemptor's supposed to be.

I'm creating a imperial fist army atm.
Should I field these bad boys? I always loved dreadnoughts.

How do you fit the body of a giant-ass space marine in torso that small?

contemptor's chuck
deredeo's eddy
furibundus (no modern version) is fury

user I have some bad news...

Yeah but I want a walker. Big stompy fucker, can squish tiny fleshbags and raze the horizon with one blast of its weapons.

But yeah, there's not a whole lot can be done in terms of walkers without them just being a giant necron. Maybe like a giant centipede, but idk it's not the same.

What are some monstrous creatures that Fantasy undead factions have? Maybe those could be looked towards for inspiration. Like a giant fucking necrodermis dragon or something.

Cut off his arms and legs. He don't need those no more.

Well, the Tomb Kings had the Ushtabi and the Bone Giants.

That's kind of just like big Necrons though yeah.

There's the giant centipedes from forge world, and the tomb stalker spider mech things.

Most of his old body is probably gone

user the Deredeo body is almost as long as a normal dreadnought is tall. He's just takin a nap.

One of the best animations in Dawn of War 1/2 was when the Dreadnought would grab an Eldar Wraithwalk and crush its Soul Stone before throwing it aside.

Didn't it just strangle it/break its neck?

Angry washing machine best washing machine. I collect the lovable little abominations of common sense and good design.

I feel your pain brother, literally the only thing that excited me about deathwatch was that I could field Chyron.

And yet there's no deathwatch dread kit to my knowledge.

There is though, look at the death masque set

wait there is?

Hot diggity damn it begins

>transfer on chest off center
>barrels not drilled

I'm lucky enough to have gotten an old Dark Angels dreadnought kit, secondhand with a few pieces mixed and matched. Since he now has a claw, I'm going to call him Eagle Talon after the old Deathwing short story.

Khador jack lists are good now. So are MoW Shocktroopers.

>implying you need 'proper' axe swings when you have powered limbs that can extend and spin through 360°
Relic messed up a lot of things but animating how a Dread fights isn't one of them.

FUCK NO THEY ARE NOT