/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Innistrad edition! (Gothic horror tribal version.)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/kytwzc.zip)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reprint!

WHERE THE FUCK IS EVERYONE?! I ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE THESE THREADS BECAUSE EITHER EVERYONE ELSE IS TOO FUCKING LAZY TO DO IT, OR THEY'RE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO IT RIGHT! YOU ASSHOLES COULD AT LEAST FUCKING SHOW UP!

Dude. Relax. It's the middle of the workday for us burgermunchers.

I'm in grad classes, COanon. Gotta get that Master's degree. Phoneposting now, I'll be more active when I finish up for the day.

Also, chill, dude.

If you're going to make a new thread, at least post some new cards to stimulate discussion. NEW cards.

The first ability could just mill 1 then draw to cut down on text. You don't need the non-artifact clause on the second ability, unless there's a particular interaction you're looking to avoid.

I like that all the abilities work together, though it feels very similar to Ashiok though.

Home now. How about artifacts?

I feel like this needs more concrete rules text. Like "Cards in graveyards have no abilities." or something.

That's different from what the artifact does.

I know what it's supposed to do, but I feel like it needs more than just that. Even MaRo says that type of wording or ability would ever only exist in a supplemental product.

Easiest way to do it would just have it exile the grave until it leaves the battlefield. You lose out on the ongoing effect, but blanket graveyard hate was a mistake imo.

Innistrad's take on Merfolk.

That wouldn't work in the set.
The design seems solid. Not sure about cost or balance, but the design itself is nice. Clean, simple.

that's some fucking level of broken i haven't seen for a while

Care to elaborate?

>prevents cards from moving out of the graveyard through ANY means - exiling, shuffling, or otherwise - for as long as it sits on the battlefield
>on a 3 mana artifact that ALSO taps for mana

That's what it does, yes. Can you elaborate on how that is broken? What strategies does it over-enable? Broken combos? What are your concerns?

What's going on with that art? The sides look messed up.

>card
Seems... OK, I have no idea how to judge this, to be honest. There is part of me that feels like it doesn't shout being a mythic though. Maybe X damage to a creature? I dunno.

Wow, I love how this guy thinks anti-recursion is busted. It's like he's from bizarro world.

>how is 3 mana for something that completely shuts down all graveyard interaction, isn't targeted by most removal and especially not black removal, and also generates mana broken?

Jesus christ, whine some more. Not that user, for the record.

I actually don't know if this shuts off Flashback. It would try to enter exile, but stays in the graveyard instead. AFAIK, cards cast from graveyards don't actually leave the graveyard.

>this massively weaker version of the same effect without mana ramp will show him i'm correct!

I'm going to assume you don't play Blue, because otherwise there's no reason for you to have forgotten that spells go onto the stack to do stuff. Yes, the card shuts down Flashback.

Hilarious, this coming from the guy who doesn't show that he's correct. Prove your point or shut up.

Rest in Peace shuts down graveyard strategies just as hard, and for less mana. This even leaves the graveyard intact rather than exiling it, making recovering from it as a grave-centric deck much easier. So, yes, HOW is it broken? I'd appreciate specific answers rather than lazy greentext repetitions of my questions.
I'd make it top or bottom, but I love where you've taken this iteration.
>There is part of me that feels like it doesn't shout being a mythic though.
It just felt too efficient and impactful to be a rare to me, at least as far as limited is concerned. Haste and evasion, plus it gets huge just from playing the game. That on top of my set pushing big spells already is what pushed it towards mythic in my mind. Do you think it needs more oomph?

you first

No, this isn't how this works. You said it's broken. That is your claim, you have to back it up. I'm not claiming anything, I just think you're claim sucks. That's how arguments work.

I'd always imagined the "stack" was a placeholder zone versus an actual zone.

No, it is an actual thing, not just a concept. This is why Prized Amalgam has the wording it does that takes into account a creature entering the battlefield that was cast from a graveyard, because casting a creature card from a graveyard puts it onto the stack, and then it enters the battlefield.

>Obelisk
It is colorless, so can be played in any deck. It shuts down nearly all graveyard interaction rather than just a subset. AND it ramps you mana at a competitive rate.

That art makes it a really good reprint.

I'm a bit of an inbetweener of all opinions posted. I actually think its a good card, although costly. It sits nicely at CMC 3, and would be absolutely broken, yet more playable, at CMC 2. I think it should have some sort of drawback, and be CMC 2.

Could be something like - Whenever a GY has 10+ cards, sac ~.

Isn't that a bit broken? Reminds mi a bit of >card and it also fits the edition. Yay.

I don't think if I posted my reply the last time you posted this, but I think it's exceedingly broken. The haste seems a bit weird at CMC 5, and it's a pretty strong card. I think you could lose it.

I don't think this works. I think it should be:
>The next spell you cast this turn has buyback [2].

Not sure, but I have my reasoning.

Fun.

Ramps you up, sure, but you won't be using flashback on T1-4 most of the time. I think as I said above, that it should have a drawback, but I wouldn't call it broken at all.

I based the wording for granting buyback off of Narset granting rebound.

I'm wrong, ignore the comment. Don't like how it reads tho.

>I'd make it top or bottom, but I love where you've taken this iteration.
Thanks, but I don't think I want it to go on top, because then you can just recur it forever. It costs a draw, but... I think Dredge demonstrated that that isn't a huge deal.

>That art makes it a really good reprint.
Thanks. I actually like making reprints with /co/ art, though I don't want to post them very often because I feel like it just clogs up the thread.

>Isn't that a bit broken? Reminds mi a bit of >card and it also fits the edition. Yay.
Really? Compare to Undead Alchemist. In my opinion, it's weaker than that.

>Fun.
Cool, thanks.

>card
Could just be
>When ~ enters the battlefield, put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard. Then put a +1/+1 counter for each creature card put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn.
Pic semi related.

Kazy is right. By the time the delayed trigger your card provides resolves, its too late to pay a buyback cost. Either
>The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn has buyback {2} if it doesn't already have buyback.
or
>The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn has buyback {2}.

>card
A similar card that I threw together long ago and liked because of its simplicity.

Wha? Why bother paying the cost later, just pay it now. Change the mana cost to 2U and use the actual rules text of Buyback on the card. Or Soulfire Grand Master. Here's some wording I think will work
>The next time you cast an instant or sorcery spell this turn, put that card into into its owner's hand instead of into that player's graveyard as it resolves.
Or just copy/paste the Soulfire wording. This is to make it more like Buyback.

This one's going silly, bu I like it so much. :[

Perhaps
>Whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost 2 or less by paying its mana cost, you may cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 2 or less from your hand without paying its mana cost.

So, the self exile is an oldschool blue penalty. But where is the indestructible coming from? What part of blue or black does that? Heck, mechanically, why is this card black?

But then I won't get to put even more buyback!
I was actually concerned about reducing costs of cards that already had buyback, but then giving up a card for the ability actually is a fair cost.

The "from your hand" part actually becomes relevant with alternate ways to cast cards.

Without that though, the only abilities that are actually functional are rebound, madness, and abilities that let you cast for free.

I'm thinking that the "indestructible until end of turn" on and is part of Maro's proposed shift away from the mechanically awful Regeneration to the almost-functionally-identical temporary Indestructible.

Has to go to its owners hand, because you may cast an instant or sorcery you don't own, e.g. Wrexial, the Risen Deep.

>The "from your hand" part actually becomes relevant with alternate ways to cast cards.
But you didn't use it, which is actually a bit of a fuckup, since your current version can end up with you having a card you don't own in your hand. What's wrong with my wording? It's basically Buyback hacked onto a card.

>Without that though, the only abilities that are actually functional are rebound, madness, and abilities that let you cast for free.
What?

It was "from your hand" initially, but then when I looked at other interactions, I actually liked some of them. So I cut it out and forgot to put the other half back in.

I was just trying to say that things like flashback don't actually work no matter what with buyback. And then other alternate casting abilities work with from the hand and other things not.

>I was just trying to say that things like flashback don't actually work no matter what with buyback. And then other alternate casting abilities work with from the hand and other things not.
You don't need to say that though. I think people can figure those things out by themselves. Yeah, it doesn't work with Flashback because the Flashback ability that causes the card to exile itself comes into being after your card's pseudo-Buyback, so it takes precedence.

Also, I forgot on whether or not you're making a cohesive set or not. Are you?

I have like the inklings of a cohesive set in the works, but mostly in the planning stages.

I've mostly posted standalone cards, though some have themes or flavor strung together.

>If a creature you control would be dealt damage, prevent that damage. Put a -1/-1 counter on ~ for each 1 damage prevented this way.
>When ~ dies, you may distribute a number of -1/-1 counters equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on ~ among any number of other target creatures. If you do, exile ~.

That said, seems to be doing too much. Protecting all your creatures, then exploding all over theirs. It would be different if it didn't prevent all damage to creatures you control, which is white anyways despite the -1/-1 counters.

Does MSE support the modal bullet points that were introduced in the more recent sets?

Yup, :: is the shortcut for them.

Holy shit I love. I'm actually blown away by how fun that would be to run. Got any custom commanders similar to this? BUG is my favorite color combo but Sultai don't quite do it for me flavor wise.

Mind posting the art? :3

~Can't be blocked by players who control fewer lands than you.

When ~ is blocked search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Should be a comma not a period. The condition is also a bit lackluster, it doesn't seem that likely to come up.

That's no the same effects user kun :(

Apparently all-inclusive damage prevention isn't a spell yet.

>I don't think if I posted my reply the last time you posted this, but I think it's exceedingly broken. The haste seems a bit weird at CMC 5, and it's a pretty strong card. I think you could lose it.
Last time, it triggered whenever you cast a spell. Now, it triggers only from the first spell you cast each turn. Did you notice that change and, if so, is this version still too much?

Sure thing.

I feel like this is playable, but at the same time I also feel like the opposite is true.

Looks like concept art for a Tomb Raider level. Old, Metroidvania Tomb Raider, not new "I can't believe it's not Lost!" Tomb Raider.

I wonder why actually

It seems this is the closest they've come.

Should this have White in it for the second ability? Also, no idea how to cost this.

Nah. And given my minute knowledge of Destiny/Sandman, couldn't you just make it:

>If you would draw a card, you may instead search your graveyard and/or library for a card and put it in your hand. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

Sure, this would allow GY recursion through certain abilities, but I'd assume it just sits neater as small text.

>Cost
I get that it's broken, but you even if it is, you need to think how playable it actually is regarding tempo. Again, not sure about the guy's well, everything, but you could probably get away with 3UUU, as a 2-3/3-5.

If you're feeling more adventurous, and it doesn't seem to hinder the card's style, you could even add a Frost Titan targeting ability, or a counter that only counters if ~ is targeted. The reason I'm suggesting this is for this to go par-on-par with Arcanis. Three cards is really close to four, which is a full playset. If a deck is properly constructed, for a constructed environment, this would mean chances say you're probably going to draw the card you need, plus other two. Here you only get one, but it's exactly the one you wanted.

Anyway. Not sure if I'm being clear enough.

I did notice, and I think it's much better now, for sure, but if you're running this, chances are you've got some high-ish CMC spells. My big issue is the feel of the card regarding haste, and how the ability works.

You could go for a lower P/T, without flying, that procs on every spell.

or

Flying, without haste, that procs on the first spell.

Thing is, flying is a really good type of evasion, the fact that it can hit the board, swing for three, and on the next turn swing for... let's say 6+ seems a bit too good.

On the other hand, if it only had haste and a lower P/T, and proc on every spell, you could *really* use up all your resources attempting a swing (bolting creatures, buffing the Hand, etc) and get Doom Bladed, leaving you with 1-3 cards in hand, no resources, and a feeling of suicidal despair. Which is what red wants! All in or lose.

Also thanks!

The idea is that the graveyard represents the past, and past isn't important to Destiny, so he turns it into the future (library). Though I'm also not an expert on the Sandman-verse either, so maybe I'm horribly misrepresenting the character, I dunno. Though to be fair, all he does is read his book. Also going through the other Endless. And probably other things, like the Corinthian, and, uh... shit, need to read more Sandman. Oh, did a card for Matthew already, that was easy. Hey, enchantments can be tied in flavor to dreams and dreaming, right?

Kazy, that's not how broken works. Most mechanics aren't broken in and of themselves, but due to the mechanic and the cost attached to it. Like, countering a spell, by itself, is not broken, but countering a spell at a very low cost, or no cost at all, is. As for the cost on the card, it's just placeholder right now.

Nah, I think you're being clear enough.

>card
Seems interesting. Kinda hard to really judge though.

On the card you're responding to, note that you have to actually pay the mana in order to pump it. In that respect, it's not much different from
>X: ~ gets +X/+0 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.

>card
Intimidate is dead. Ability is cool, though it could be win-more in the right situation, I dunno. Why tie to Tourach if there's no discard?

But doesn't his book contain past, present, and future? That's why I think it might be somewhat irrelevant to differentiate them in the ability.

>Brokenness
Well then I meant it's just a really high-powered ability! :p Still a bit broken, no matter the cost.

>Hand
Yeah sure, I'm saying that it having haste and evasion is a bit too much.

>Intimidate
I know, but the olden feels ;-;And because Tourach did have followers ;p

And Tourach didn't create the hymn!

>slap illusionist's bracers on this dude
>win
I like it. Would use as commander.

I'll have to read a bit more for Destiny then.

>Broken
Then use a different word.

>Tourach
Then why does yours discard? Also, should be sorc speed.

Here's the Corinthian. Unsure if dream characters should have the type Illusion, or the new type Dream. Probably the latter, but this guy's definitely a Nightmare.

Anyone made Enemy colour Atogs yet?

Vaguely related to the thread theme. I retooled one of my oldest designs into the BW counterpart to Bruna, Gisela, and Sigarda.

This + Tormenting Voice (discarding another tormenting voice) is pretty cool. You know what would be cool for Destiny, though? "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may Scry X, where X is the number of cards in your library." Fits with the idea that for Destiny, the future is already set in stone.

That's one hell of a typeline. I'd say the abilities live up to it, but I would swap out trample for menace or something

Given that the Corinthian's supposed to embody the worst aspects of humanity, it might be interesting to give him some kind of anti-Human tribal thing.

>Destiny
Sorry, but no. Ugh. Could you possibly imagine playing a Battle of Wits deck with that? Seriously, just imagine a huge commander game and everyone just waiting ten minutes or something for the one dick to finish ordering his library. And then imagine repeating the effect with flicker effects or something. I get what you're going for, but I think it isn't worth the pain.

>Corinthian
Well, the point of the first Corinthian is that he was supposed to do that, sure, but he failed completely. It was because he was a failure in Dream's eyes that he killed him, only to remake him later. This version just focuses on killing people, eating their eyes, then knowing their memories. It's not an exact translation, but I like the mechanic so far.

>card
Couldn't you just make it
>each player's life total becomes equal to your starting life total.

>strictly better than Ramirez
tfw wizards will never make a good pirate legend ;_;

\o/

Because I'm a silly man. In all honesty, I thought it needed another, short, impactful activated ability, on top of the -1/-1 ones.

>Corinthian
I love the shit out of that card.

What frame is that? Seems different from my Hi-res. Also, I remember someone had a M15 Hi-res in the works, anyone heard about that?

>Card
Hm. I'm digging this much more as a Sorcery.

Matthew the Raven. Still makes me giggle.

>Destiny
You do make a good point, but regarding Battle of Wits, you shouldn't use marginal case scenarios for feedback. As for Commander, in my experience, people give one or two shuffles and that's that. True randomization isn't for a casual format.

More reasons to hate WotC.

Cost reductions needs to be listed separately.
>Instant spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each Instant spell in your graveyard.
>Sorcery spells...

I also feel like flashback became prevalent enough that you don't need to not-keyword it. It also needs to target the appropriate card in the graveyard.

Wording aside, Mizzix of the Izmagnus is already more than powerful enough with relying on experience counters. The amount of cost-reduction provided on this card is ridiculous.

>What frame is that?
I use this shiny new M15 template (my.mixtape.moe/kytwzc.zip) that lets you mess with the textbox spacing. It also changes the color of "black" in MSE, so it fucks with the border of all card frames.

I haven't heard anything about a hi-res M15 frame, which is a shame.

Neat use of evoke.

Well, that's what happens when you compare cards to Legends. Well, some of them are good. I actually like looking for good cards in garbage sets. There are a few things in Legends I would like to see done again, but better. Like making a version of All Hallow's Eve, but with Suspend, for obvious reasons. But as for Pirates, let's hope Wizards hires Pirate user some day. Fuck, if I had to seriously say who had the best chance of that, it would certainly be him.

>Corinthian
Thanks.

>Matthew the Raven
Why does it make you laugh? Just curious.

>Destiny
Didn't mean necessarily Battle of Wits, just any library with hundreds of cards in it. Don't care about true randomization (in order to get that, you'd have to do that thing were you spread out all the cards on the table, shuffle them around a few times, then put them back into a deck, and fucking nobody wants to do that), just saying it would be a pain in the ass waiting for one player to order a large amount of cards like that.

>More reasons to hate WotC.
Oh shit, I didn't even notice that guy didn't have your trip until now, I thought he was you due to the emote. Though I am terrible at knowing who anons are without a trip. Didn't even know Sulking user was Savage user until someone else pointed it out.

Don't think forced casting works. I think you'd have to control the player for that. And then you get... ugh, THIS monstrosity.

Oh wait, that card is outdated, here's the even worse Oracle text.
>Look at target opponent's hand and choose a card from it. You control that player until Word of Command finishes resolving. The player plays that card if able. While doing so, the player can activate mana abilities only if they're from lands he or she controls and only if mana they produce is spent to activate other mana abilities of lands he or she controls and/or play that card. If the chosen card is cast as a spell, you control the player while that spell is resolving.

Of course, because Mana Burn isn't a thing anymore, they can still just tap out in response to Word of Command, so its pretty much just Mana Short for BB.

If it hit yourself, and made your opponent pick one and you cast it without paying its mana cost, that'd be pretty cool. But it'd need a shuffle first, or its too open to manipulation with Scry and Top and Brainstorm. And a major cost bump, too, obviously.

I'm not sure if it's actually the same effect. Word of Command also allows you to control your opponent for purposes of tapping lands and choosing targets, while this card would simply force them to cast it.

Even if they tap out in response, the mana is sitting in their pool until end of the step/phase.

Ah, this seems relevant.
Though the proper wording is "if able" it seems.

So, more artifacts?

Why not?

It's a bit of a crime that something so heavily samurai flavored has absolutely nothing bushido-related on it.

Eh, not a huge fan of Bushido, to be honest. And they didn't even put Bushido onto an equipment in Kamigawa either. Maybe Bushido 2?

Cool art, bruh.

Before anyone asks, the ordering of abilities here is taken from Ghostfire Blade, which has an Equip modifier after the Equip proper.