Elves and their damn forests

Alright Veeky Forums, I have a friend doing some kind of DnD game, and the premise of the quest is that some druid or elf shitstain decided he couldn't bear being in a city away from the forest, and fucked up.

He caused a chain reaction that sprouted a 200 acre or so forest, right in the middle of the damn castle town, causing mass mayhem and crippled half the kingdom.

This was all hundred or more years ago and adventurers are still trying to find things of value, and trying to deforest the damn place just makes more grown and monsters have taken up residence.

Fucking elves, right?

Now I need a quest hook for him, and likely not the typical "find source and kill/take it", since he's the type to go complicated.

What would you do?

Your DM is a retard, that premise is fucking stupid. Not really the whole "kingdom is an overgrown forest" thing, that could be good, but than a single elf or druid did this because he wanted a bit more green around sounds really dumb.

Make him uncripple the kingdom (even if it's no longer with us), or his "source" will be taken/killed!

Said he wanted the elf to pretty much roll 3 nat 1s in a row, and have prettymuch been a lv.5.

Critfailing that hard, something bad has to happen. I just find it interesting that the forest is pretty much Kudzu at that point.

What was the actual spell he wanted to cast?

1 nat ones is a 1 in 8000 chance. If a hyper catastrophic even happens 1 in 8000 times the world wouldn't survive, period. He's retarded.

Don't fucking know, might have just wanted to grow a garden.

The thought of an elf fucking up nature magic makes me giggle, but I don't know anymore than that.

He won't come to 4chins, because he's paranoid about cheese pizza getting on his history.

This is one of the most underage things I've ever seen posted. Holy fuck, are you actually 15.

Um, a 200 acre forest suddenly sprouting up isn't a kingdom-destroying catastrophe. An acre is smaller than a football field. A 200 acre wood is big enough to engulf a large medievalish town, but still too small an ecosystem for monsterS (emphasis plural) to inhabit. (unless we're talking very small creatures). You could explore the whole place in a day.

Central Park in NYC is 843 acres, for comparison.

If one in every 8000 spells cast results in such a bad fuck up you could destroy a town either the setting won't survive, casters would be highly regulated by what ever power that could, or casters would be shunned & killed on sight.

An average level 5 caster has 12 spells. Which means every 3 years the average level 5 caster would destroy a town.

copy/paste his idea sheet, OP.

yeah, 200 acres isn't even close to large enough to support large monster populations, but if it increases in size for each time it's been hacked at, maybe it could grow acre by acre.

It's interesting, but your friend needs to write this shit out for you.

Also, kudzu is a menace, and this reminds me of a certain giant tree in Golden Sun that cursed an entire town to turn into trees, and that was pretty messed up.

I wasn't talking about failure probabilities, just saying that a 200 acre forest is pretty small.

Also: magic should be dangerous.

While converting area windows calculator gave this helpful result.

Okay, but are we talking Buckingham Palace, or what?

And if the forest exploded into exostence or something, are there buildings now lodged in trees?

>using real world logic in a D&D game

Who's the retard

About that size, I guess. I just came here for more ideas.

OP, have some folks want to look into the sotuation, to see if it was really an accident, or a planned attack. Keep it interesting, because this could attract lots of politics in the elf courts.

Don't want to make it look like it was a deliberate assault on the place to some, because it makes the dude's court look like savages. On the other hand, don't want to make it look like it was a fuckup, since that still makes the court look bad.

Lots of ways you could play this.

>and adventurers are still trying to find things of value

Really? 200 acres isn't that big. It's a square that's about 41,742 feet, or about 8 miles, on a side.

An 8x8 mile forest isn't exactly large.

So, let me get all the details straight.

>Elf decides to magic up some forest
>critfails three times, resulting in rampant growth of new magic forest
>this took place 100+ years ago
>each time the forest gets cut it grows back even bigger
>likely over 50 years of attempted deforestation
>monsters live there now
>possible enchanted items
>likely lingering magic, if the forest still grows after being cut like that

The forest itself could be home to some kind of horribly mutated Dryad thing, a new kind of monster, or the magic itself is located right at Ground Zero of the spell.

I'm sure the elves staked a huge claim to the kigdom, which the specoes that owned that place at the start is staking theirs too.

>forest means it's elf turf, stupid humies.

Exactly the kind of shit I expect from an Elf.

I'm imagining that the forest is still expanding on its own, like the original elf tore a rift into the Elemental Plane of Forests.

I imagine this as hydra trees.
Cut one down, three more grow. The forest is now a magical wooden cancer.