In all seriousness, why are men who love traditional games more "bookish" than their sports-loving peers?

In all seriousness, why are men who love traditional games more "bookish" than their sports-loving peers?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/chapter3.html
theonion.com/article/walking-sports-database-scorns-walking-sci-fi-data-1442
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sports require physical activity.
TTRPGs require you to read books.

Books help to develop an imagination.

That's not what Schopenhauer says:

>But, in reading, our head is, however, really only the arena of some one else’s thoughts. And so it happens that the person who reads a great deal — that is to say, almost the whole day, and recreates himself by spending the intervals in thoughtless diversion, gradually loses the ability to think for himself; just as a man who is always riding at last forgets how to walk. Such, however, is the case with many men of learning: they have read themselves stupid.

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/chapter3.html

Your post doesn't make sense as a response to that post, but good job showing someone reading themself stupid.

Because men who don't play TGs have a lot more time for exercise.

If my job didn't require me to be on my feet half the day I'd probably be a lot less useful when somebody needs help on moving day.

theonion.com/article/walking-sports-database-scorns-walking-sci-fi-data-1442

Because it requires being literate.

>implying

My high school football team regularly ran D&D, 40k, WHFB, and CoC/DG. Which also meant most of the other teams did as there was a lot of cross-over. It was more nerdy to be into anime than rolling dice and fucking imaginary bar wenches before going out to fuck actual wenches.

Yeah but he's retarded anyway
>haha just kill urself bro
dumb virgin

That's retarded. What, does he think people who read books just uncritically absorb everything in them without thinking? Any reader should always be evaluating what they read as they go.

>uncritically absorb everything in them without thinking

If you read all day, you have no time to dwell on what you've read.

Social awkwardness in school and/or lack of physical abilities leads to more reading and gaming.

Read the last sentence I typed, and then kill yourself.

>kill urself lol i win

Grow the fuck up and maybe someone will take you seriously in life.

Multitasking is a meme and a buzzword. Trying to do two things at once in some serious way is retarded.

>why are men who read lots of books more bookish than men who have less time to read books

A =
> person who reads a great deal ... gradually loses the ability to think for himself;

B =
>just as a man who is always riding at last forgets how to walk

Not B, therefore not A.

But Schopenhauer fails with the opening of that quote
> in reading, our head is, however, really only the arena of some one else’s thoughts.

since on reading his thoughts I had my own thoughts about how stupid his thoughts were which I don't think was his arena.

>jokes on you, I was only pretending to be retarded

Traditional gaming is (at least ostensibly) more of an intellectual hobby. I mean, if you're GMing or playing rules-dense card games like MtG, you'd have to be fairly intelligent to digest all the info needed to play.

Schopenhauer was a faggot, his only redeeming aspect is his entertaining view on women

Most of the players I GM for play on sports teams and go to the gym every other day.

Whether or not you think people can meaningfully think about what they read as they read it (I personally tend to pause every page or two to do it, though that's not technically "as I read"), do you seriously think people who like reading spend 100% of their waking time reading?

I have a job, plus a commute, and I periodically hang out with friends (and sometimes discuss things I've read with them), plus I do a large number of other non-reading activities. Sure I'm not able to do much thinking during a lot of those things, but I spend way more time doing them than I do reading.

tl;dr nobody reads literally all day except possibly a couple rich autists or something.

>all the idiots in this thread triggered by this quote
Have you never encountered someone who was well read but still held incredibly stupid and/or irrational beliefs? Books are just a medium for conveying information, if the information is bullshit then you're head is going to wind up being full of bullshit and the more bullshit you read the worse it will get, you'll actually wind up being dumber then had you not read anything. That's what he's obviously referring to, are you people seriously this fucking dumb? Obviously must be reading a lot of books full of bullshit.

Pretending to be retarded will eventually make you retarded user.

Your experience is your experience, OP. It's pretty common for most of my group to swing by the gym after we're done with the game and then go home with each other.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Actually it looks to me like the quote says that reading (whether or not what you read is shit) makes you less able to think on your own.

Reading shit will give you shitty opinions, but reading in general won't necessarily do that, that's what people are getting angry over.

Also, minor point but
>you're head
It's your

No. He says, if you read stuff and don't think about it you cripple your mind.

I know lots of people who consumed tons media but have as much imagination as a brick. No thinking outside the box, no creativity ... unable to roleplay ... only board games ... I think I'll cry a little now

What if I told you that I play traditional games, only ever read when its content pertaining those games, and spend way more time enjoying sports than reading?

most of what? 3?

yeah in my gaming group of 8 I know for a fact that 4 of us go to the gym, and another one is trying to get into the habit of it as well

I run 7 miles every other day, I also host a runequest session every week and collect historical miniatures.

Most people don't fit neatly into stereotypes