"Can I reroll that?"

>"Can I reroll that?"

>Sure man, it seems like you've been having some bad rolls recently so why don't we just mulligan that one

t. reasonable, compassionate human being

You used your Luck advantage like five minutes ago, so no.

Sure, I wasn't paying attention anyway.

"You dropped my fucking dice on the floor, you cunt. We're gonna call that an automatic fail, and skip the rest of your turn while you pick it up. Use the fucking dice tower next time!"

I don't have a clear concept of what you're trying to convey.

nah man its part of the fun. I wont kill him over it.

Usually I wont ask for a roll though unless failure would make things interesting eitherway.

You've never played with someone who'd ask for rerolls cheekily?

The only reason not to freeform roleplay entirely is so that the random dice can factor in to the story.

Some nobody schmuck killing Kharne with a ridiculously lucky series of rolls is as hilarious as a mighty, god-like hero slipping and tumbling to his death while he jumps out of the window and botches his Climb or Tumble check.

In any game, the players decide the course of action, the dice determine the result, and the GM interprets the result according to the system, even if the result is "Oh shit. Hope you hack a backup character."

>2 hours into session
>had rolled 4 1s already
>try to copy crucial map
>roll another 1
>"Nah man, we're not doing rerolls. That failure won't be deadly or anything, you'll make up for it with a 20 somw other time."
>come back with a pre-schooler tier map
>group's dwarf smacks me because I'm a failure of a Wizard and Sage

I felt so bullied that day.

>Some nobody schmuck killing Kharne with a ridiculously lucky series of rolls is as hilarious as a mighty, god-like hero slipping and tumbling to his death while he jumps out of the window and botches his Climb or Tumble check.
Those both sound incredibly stupid.

You sound incredibly stupid.

>tfw I let my player reroll his bad roll
>it's worse than the original result
'Twas hilarious.

>d20s

keks

If you spend a fate point.

Take a shot of hard liquor and yes

Sounds like you've never GMed
> the GM interprets the result according to the system
Systems have guidelines for some precise circumstances, but in every situation there aren't exact rules for, often the majority of RP if you're not playing your RPG like a wargame, the GM is determining the result as much as the dice.

>"Oh shit. Hope you hack a backup character."
I haven't seen many of those games around.

Mostly it's shit GMs who don't tell you beforehand "This game is highly lethal, therefore you have to make more than one character as backup"
Then they act surprised when the players are mad that they have to waste time making another character during game time or worse, sit out the session

"...why are you at this table? Who the fuck are you? I wouldn't have invited anyone that looks as cringeworthy as you."

I hadn't until yesterday when I saw a guy almost drive a GM to murder before even joining a game

>in this campaign I'm running everyone is cursed and your quest is to break the curse
>that's cool, what curses
>well so far one guy is a werewolf, one is haunted by ghosts, one guy has sold his soul and is becoming a devil
>can I be a vampire
>Vampirism is possible yes-
>Can I be a vampire who kills other vampires and only feeds on animals like Blade and hates their monstrous side
>theoretically yes but your curse is randomly assigned
>oh ok (looks through book) OH COOL YOU CAN BE A DEVIL CAN I BE A DEVIL
>I just said it's random, I have a table I will roll on
>can you rig the roll
>That's not what random means
>can I roll it, give me a dice and let me roll
>you aren't even in the game yet
>give me a dice and let me roll so I can see what I would have got if I was in the game

Sure, if you have inspiration/bennies/fate points/hero points left or if someone wants to give you theirs.

I like having reroll mechanics around for this reason. Always limit them to a maximum of one per player so nobody can hoard them (unless the system is specifically built for using them often). It works as a nice encouragement and lets them have a singular safety net that doesn't refresh too often. Characters still die and bad things still happen but the player has some say in making the rolls they feel are important have a better chance at succeeding.

Fancy rich boi cunt here with his dice tower.

Privileged prick.

I wouldn't need a dice tower if impoverished fucks would just buy their own dice or at least treat my dice with respect. Grown adults should be able to roll a couple of dice on the table without chucking them under the sofa like spastic kindergartners.

>Of course you can, but if you fail your bargain roll again the shopkeeper will be really angry with you and the guards are known to not be overly friendly with people who slow down the trade.

yes but you will auto-fail, faggot

>t. asshole that ruins everyone's fun with player service

>implying the DM isn't evenhanded in this

I understand most of you are fucking socially inept but being casual about rules is only an issue if you're inconsistent

if everyone is OK with it and everyone plays by the same rules, everyone has fun

Yes, but you'll have to remove one point from one of your attributes to do it.

Sure. Spend a benny.

i don't. as a player, i want a proper challenge and if i truly mess up or roll royally bad, then i want my PC to die. if that doesn't happen, i might as well not play at all.

no risk, no fun, bitch.

>letters

01101011 01100101 01101011

Then play in a different game you moron

How the fuck do you survive daily life if you are unable to do group activities

How the fuck do you not, you know, MAKE SURE THE WHOLE GROUP HAVE THE SAME EXPECTATIONS BEFORE STARTING

are you fucking incapable of talking to other human beings

Do you have any fortune points left?

My thinking exactly. I prefer mechanics to solve this problem.

Yeah sure, I'll roll for you.
>roll
Oh damn, looks like you got a Nat 1.

Which comes down to luck, which is what separates traditional stories with traditional arcs from P&P.

The ones who play characters who get lucky with the right rolls pass into legend.

The ones who play characters who get unlucky with the wrong rolls get rerolled.

Everyone who's gamed for even one campaign knows the difference.

Badwrongfun

No system was mentioned, you cock goblin. Don't turn this into another SOMEONE MENTIONED D20?! I HATE D20! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! thread.

Nothing in the scenario presented by OP did say anything about what kind of game was played.
Maybe it is a rules light-ish game that allows rerolls, in that case you would be right, if you don't like it leave.
But it also may be a game with no rerolls allowed in which case the one wanting rerolls is in the wrong place.
However telling people beforehand which one it will be is important, as you said.

There's being compassionate and then there's this shit.

Adding a small positive modifier for some reason to justify it towards said unlucky player, maybe having the enemy drop their guard due to characters ineptitude, or even just finding a neat trinket while taking a walk is being compassionate.

Allowing a complete reroll without having feats or abilities that actually allow it makes it unfair for people who took a class, race, or feats to be able to do this.

You're not always going to get that crit, and sometimes you're going to fail. Deal with it.

Why would you assume anything else? Even in rather easier settings doing stupid shit, or just bad luck, can always get people killed.

Hell, I've never once played with a new group without a team wipe happening in the first few sessions.

>Sure, that was a pretty bad roll. What if you sub out the bottom three scores for your scores from the last roll? That puts you at about the same place as everyone else.

Shave your fucking head, then we have a deal.

This. Fate/Destiny/Edge, call it what you will, those things are dead handy, and have saved one of my Anima players from certain death/being psychically lobotomized twice now.

Who is this man and why do I want to punch him so much?

In the unlikely event that story is true, the GM was being an absolute faggot throwing fucking Kharne in, knowing it'd mean character death without (apparent) recourse.

if you play in a game I run and you think you can get a reroll just by asking nicely, instead of an annoyed stare, the idiot is you.

It's Wh40k, I don't know how does the poster play it, but most go with the grimdark feel. If I were a Guardsman I wouldn't have any say on the matter of what choice of warpspawn gets summoned by the fucking heretics, if it's impf then fuck lets mop them up, if its Khorne himself well then tough luck boys it's time to die, lets throw some bricks at him, fuck it why not.

This is a slippery slope, you're encouraging bad sportsmanship. Grow up.

>play Dark Heresy
>throw in Khârn the Betrayer
Everyone in that scenario should be gassed

Poorfag

The game system also uses a shifts coupled with a bell curve and more or less lets the player decide when it's time to die.
I'm not insulting its design; if anything, it's a good idea to have failure lead to interesting consequences instead of losing a character concept because you forgot to pray to the RNG gods that session.

They get 1 reroll a session typically.

The one time I said yes, I had the next boss enemy look up at the sky and ask for a reroll when he missed the character with his spell, which was then granted to him. Price established. Pleading with the DM is now viewed as a deal with the devil by that group even when others DM because we are not soulless and everyone lost their shit laughing when it happened.

You get one reroll. ONE.

pretty gay

Sure, you can reroll that. However, at a non-specific time in the future I can choose one of your rolls to be a Nat 1. Deal?

No deal.
Advantage does not assure a natural twenty. This arrangement would heavily favor you.

The lowest I'll go for is you giving me disadvantage on one roll in the future.

regardless, if you are going to roll dice, then you stick to the results, otherwise why ask for a roll?

Sounds funny, good thinking.

No.

>Roleplaying games
>Challenge
Nonexistant.

Play competitive tabletop.

What? The GM creates the challenge.

I just try and give the players an opportunity to play out/endure their Complications in MnM 3e whenever I can. I had a player who rolled like 4 nat 1s in a session, but the mechanics let me help them without straight up bailing them out.

With a Hero Point, they get a minimum roll of 11 even if their second roll isn't good (10 or below).

Like that would stop me

There is no challenge in the playing of a role playing hame. The closest you get is character creation.

After that, it is all roleplau, which is non-challenging, or executing tje functions of your premade character, also not challenging.

If you want challenge, stop playing cooperative storybuilders and instead play competitive.

>After that, it is all roleplau, or executing tje functions of your premade character

Not really. You sound like you started gaming with D&D 3e and never quite got over it.

This pattern holds true in almost every major roleplaying system.

The only divergeance ive seen that can be construed as challenging is from heist simulators.

>This pattern holds true in almost every major roleplaying system.

not really. It doesn't even hold true for most D&Ds.

I can assure you whatever game you are thinking of is not actually challenging at all, and that your desire for challenge would be better served in competitive games.

Honestly, if challenge is your main dedire you should drop tabletop and take up video games, or sport, or something that actually requires abilities.

Or writing a post without typos. That's apparently pretty challenging.

I gjotta say, typing on a phone is harder than most roleplaying games on the market.

>if challenge is your main dedire you should drop tabletop and take up video games
and there it is.
I was waiting for this. Every time. Every time one of you weirdo roleplaying elitists start talking nonsense you go to the classic "why don't you go play video games".

It specially makes zero sense here. You think that a video game, which is designed by someone to provide a challenge to a player is somehow different from a role playing game session, which can be designed by a game master to provide challenge to a group of players?

Im actually a challenge elitist, telling you that ypu have picked quite possibly the least challenging activity possible.

Fuck any and all physical activity, too hard. Fuck skill based reflexes, too hard. Fuck competitive games, too hard. Cooperative storytelling games? Now that is the level of challenge you are looking for.

>Cooperative storytelling games
I don't play that though. I play roleplaying games. I don't know what you're on about with this "storytelling" nonsense. I'm not writing a book, or making a movie.

You got him good m8

>Roleplaying games
Yeah, cooperative storytelling games with nothing at stake and no complex mental or physical activities.

Jesus Christ.

It's like you're drunk or like you have never played a RPG before. Oh, wait, now I got it: you're baiting. 2/10

It's like you're describing a conversation with you.

No, learn to roll better in future. Scrub.

>storytelling
there's that word again

They are sort of by definition cooperative storytelling, user.

If it were competitive, the gm wins instantly. If it were not storytelling, then you are playing a videogame style dungeon crawl.

>videogame style
every time

D&D predates video game dungeon crawls
I bet you're the kind of person that says "XP" is too "videogamey".

The d&d that predated videogames was a tactical wargame. And was made obsolete by videogames that do it much faster.

>The d&d that predated videogames was a tactical wargame

Objectively wrong. You're thinking of chainmail.

>And was made obsolete by videogames that do it much faster.
And again, objectively wrong, no video game yet can really replace D&D.

Videogames can easily replace d&d if you cut out the cooperative storytelling.

I play video games, video game rpg's are almost universally shit because you're limited by the system, Dev didn't want you to talk you're way out of a problem? You can't even try.

>Videogames can easily replace d&d if you cut out the cooperative storytelling.

Maybe one day. Right now even the standard D&D style dungeon crawl is not really well represented by any video game. Feel free to try and prove me wrong. You can't though.

Look the point is, the only time kharn should be in the vicinity of a non-Ascension acolyte cell is if he's already finished off a bunch of marines/inquisitors/imperial officials and is trying to go for the skullthrone high score

and if they were an ascension party they wouldn't be using fucking bricks.

kharn bothering with a party of bumfuck nobodies is like tenting an apartment complex to kill five ants.

>I don't know, *can* you?"

>"Also, who are you quoting?"

For the people that play trpgs like board games where they just go from room to room killing shit it works. Those kind of people seem to keep to dnd and pathfinder thankfully.

>accidentally cast poison spray on undead
>forgot they were immune
>ask dm to change the spell
>he says no

>>"Also, who are you quoting?"
Fuck off

Why am I being rewarded while rerolling?

One guy I played with made it so that you could reroll, but if you reroll something else bad happens to you.

Videogames are strictly better than tabletop if you are doing these dyngeons by the rules.

Video games STILL can't let you do Stone Shape fuckery to actually mess with dungeon layouts though. Absolutely none.

Yes they can.
Even stone soup, the literally free game has that.

>not actual stained glass
what a plebeian.

Though, shaping the dungeon is generally considered bad game design, and is seen mostly in shitty d&doids or minecraft

Fuck you, let me play with your goddamn maze my way.