Disparaging barbarian peasants and their "knights"

What kind of pansy ass barbarians are you? You guys never stand up for yourselves and let have those Nighties or whatever the fuck their called do all the fighting. When trouble comes you just run and hide. No wonder he gets to boss you around. I mean some Poleis keep a few of the best guys under arms full times to drill and train, but this is just shameful.

Let me tell you something: a REAL FREE man stands and fights to defend his family, his Polis and himself with all his fellows with shield and spear.

I'm Jean-Jacques Rousseau and I approve of this message.

laddie... you've never split someone with an axe have yeh?

>Hoplites are the wealthy landowners who can afford armour and weapons
>Knights are the wealthy landowners who can afford armour and weapons

Hoplites would be the modern equivalent of the bourgeois rather than the nobility though. They were expected to fight, but they weren't a hereditary warrior class. Rather they were citizens first and foremost (in the most literal sence of the word).

Only free men have the capacity to be warriors. Everything else is for slaves and women.

Hoplites were men who owned their own plot of land and could afford a shield, spear, sword and helmet.

Knights had fiefs to tax.

This doesn't have anything to do with traditional games. Stop cluttering up this board with your half-assed roleplay bullshit.

Yeah, if only weapons which Solon the hoplite would call "godlike" and massive numbers didn't make personal prowess meaningless......

Can a spartan call himself "free" if he depends on his slaves and not his own hands to feed himself and his family? I don't think so.

>Can a spartan call himself "free" if he depends on his slaves and not his own hands to feed himself and his family?
Yeah? That's pretty much what being a free man means: not being a slave.

>tfw "free" men are parasites

Got a problem with that, wagecuck?

Says the guy who marches to battle with a 7:1 ratio of helots to citizens

Fucking Dorians I swear

Isn't that a Macedonian?

When will they learn? Too busy fuckin each other to fight

Nope. Maybe a Northern Hellenistic state or one of those wannabe barbarian tribes in Illyria and Thracia

Not so fast, the club of Heracles device was the symbol of Thebes, and so he's likely to be a Hoplite from that city. However, given the leather cuirass, newer style boots, and the Boeotian helmet, he's probably after the Iphicratic reforms took Greece, and perhaps in the Hellenistic period.

It's difficult to tell, as many of the Poleis in Hellas didn't replace their Hoplites with Phalangites, instead continuing to fight in the old style, so you end up with some kind of anachronistic warriors.

Buddy. Buddy, I don't think you understand.

SOMEONE has to grow the crops around here, and I'm well and sure I'll outlive every one of those knights assuming the enemy doesn't make it all the way over here. See, the knights march on their stomachs. Now where do you think that food is coming from?

We depend on them for protection, they depend on us to eat. It's a symbiotic relationship.

>See, the knights march on their stomachs
Napoleon pls stay, France needs you more than ever!

It was possible for ancient greeks to own slaves and let those work their lands, so a lot of Hoplites would have 'fiefs'(read slave workers) to tax (read pay nothing and only feed and house).

You are right, that helmet design is also very typpical for Thebes

And ofcourse a knight and a hoplite are not the same thing, but they have a whole fucking lot in common.