One of my players will not fucking stop snap chatting his gf during the game. He zones out for long periods of time...

One of my players will not fucking stop snap chatting his gf during the game. He zones out for long periods of time, and only does anything reactively, when someone directly says something to him.

This session I'm telling him to leave his phone at home or leave himself there. What should I do if he tells me to fuck off and shows up anyway?

Tell him to get the fuck out of your house.

>What should I do if he tells me to fuck off and shows up anyway?

Refuse to acknowledge his presence in game. Sure, he can show up with his character sheet, and tell you his character is doing this and that. Ignore any and all of his in-game interactions. In fact, tell the other players his character isn't even present.

Are you offering to fuck him? No?
Then your demands will always be second to his GF's.

> This session I'm telling him to leave his phone at home or leave himself there. What should I do if he tells me to fuck off and shows up anyway?
You can always invite his girlfriend for a threesome or something.

Start out softer. Tell him he can have the phone on him, but shut off. If he refuses, he's out of the session, but can rejoin next session, this time without the phone. Can't force too much compromise on a man at once or he might refuse out of sheer stubbornness. I mean he's probably a bitch if he can't stop texting with his girl, but he might be bitch enough to take it as an attack on him and her. If you want him there without his phone you have to be a bit careful.

Step 1. Have you tried talking to him like an adult, you fucking autist? If YES, proceed to step 2. If NO, drink bleach

Step 2. Gentle logical persuasion has failed. Become creative and examine the situation. Is this a friend? Do you know the girl? Hoe long have they been dating? If you're all friends just talk to the girl and be like "yo can you make loverboy stop texting you during games? I know it's cute and all but he can't stop e-flirting with you long enough for us to be nerds together". If he is your friend but bit the girl, appeal to that. "Hey bro, I know you're really Into this lady and ima back you up 100% but it's hashing the games buzz, can you play hard to get for like 3 hours why we play? Just space your replies out between breaks." If you are incapable of speaking to your players in this candid manner, please drink bleach.

3. If this fails be firm with him. Tell him that while this isn't a job, his clear distraction is interfering with your enjoyment of the game as well as others. Also, if you haven't made sure it bothers your other players and not just you, please drink bleach.

4. If he fails to heed your warnings, throw him out, letting him back only if he (and everyone else to be fair) checks their phone at the door, leaving them inaccessible during play time. If his misbehavior continues, force your friend drink bleach

One day i will have powers that rivals even GF's.

The Dick Side is strong with you.

FPBP. Don't be a pathetic beta, OP

The "I'm good with people" way:
Before telling him to leave his phone at home, tell him to stop chatting during play, because it's kind of rude towards you and the other players (and it's disruptive, slows down the game pace, breaks the ambient you try to create...). Using the word "please" sometimes works miracles. He can then react in two ways. Either he's acceptive, and everything is fine. Or he's a fucking prick and tell you that you're not his dad and that you and your friends can fuck off. In this second case, simply don't invite him for the game anymore.

The "I'm autistic" way:
Tell him to either leave his phone at home or don't show up. If he shows up with his phone and still chats, grab your 6-feet reverse-blade katana, cut his phone in two, before tipping your fedora while whispering in your most edgelord voice: "Pshhh. Nothing personnel, kid."

Tell him the problem like an adult.

If he still refuses then say that it's too bad, but he's gone from the campaign.

>What should I do if he tells me to fuck off and shows up anyways?
Remember that you, at one time, had a sack between your legs and get him the fuck off your property.

There are laws about trespassing you know

This user knows the deal

Tell him that he can either hand his phone over or not play.

Ask him why he shows up to a game night, you know, where you play table games, if all he's gonna do is snapchat his woman. Tell him his time is better spent at the Days Inn fucking her, and not at your table. He's welcome to come back after they're done but otherwise it's guy time.

Fuck his girlfriend. Duh.

I feel like there's a crucial detail that's been omitted here:

Is this player's inattentiveness actually disrupting the game?

If yes, then see some of the advice in this thread - either the autistic or non-autistic flavours will do.

If no, however, then who gives a fuck? If your guy wants to wallflower and the other players don't care and the session runs just fine, what's the goddamn problem? The one thing I would suggest in this case is to ask your friend if he's having fun and enjoying the session - if he is, then there's no fucking problem, let him wallflower and snapchat with his GF.

If I were to hazard a guess though, it sounds like this player is disengaging from the game. If that's the case, telling him to leave his phone at home or fuck off will ensure that he does the latter. Whether this is a desired effect depends on you.

Goddamnit I forgot to attach the image.

No matter if it's disruptive or not, it's still very rude towards OP

Your friend has been possessed by a succubus. You need to save him by staking her heart with a dildo shaped dildo.

As tempting as that sounds, it seems a bit... counter productive?

Yes, I've talked to him about this before, and he said he'd stop. I explained that I felt that it was quite ride, given the work I put into sessions, and he agreed to quit, but he keeps doing it.

I've tried basically all those things, but I do know the girl in question. I'll try talking to her about it before banning him outright from the game. If she says no to him, then I think that will work out much better.

If he was just sitting there quietly, then it would be annoying but bearable. Instead he complzoned out anytime something that isn't immediately engaging is going on, and will jump in to other people's in character conversations to rip on them. Last session he started an in game fight with the party druid. He's not investing himself at all in what's going on, but is acting like a dick to the other players because what's going on isn't engaging him because he's zoned out because he's texting his birch. It sucks.

It also really sucks because he's probably the most expressive in character person at the table. When he got in character it helped the newbies get in character, but now they get all self conscious because of his OC bullshit.

>and he agreed to quit, but he keeps doing it.
Throw him out. Don't talk to his gf, just throw him out for being this rude

>If he was just sitting there quietly, then it would be annoying but bearable. Instead he complzoned out anytime something that isn't immediately engaging is going on, and will jump in to other people's in character conversations to rip on them. Last session he started an in game fight with the party druid. He's not investing himself at all in what's going on, but is acting like a dick to the other players because what's going on isn't engaging him because he's zoned out because he's texting his birch. It sucks.

Okay; the problem here is not that your player is texting his GF. The texting is just a symptom. The problem is that your player is not engaging with the game.

So, rather than flexing your DM muscles and issuing an ultimatum, ask him if he's enjoying the game, tell him that you've noticed he doesn't seem to be getting involved and you're concerned that he might be bored, and ask what you can do to help him be more engaged in what's going on.

Now, there's a possibility that the guy might ask you to change the game in a way you aren't willing to change it. This is fine - if this happens, it's highlighted the fact that your friend doesn't want to play the game that you want to run, at which point either he should politely bow out or you should politely dis-invite him from following sessions.

tl;dr the problem isn't the texting, the problem is player engagement

Is it his first GF and are all the other players including you single?

If that's the case I'm pretty sure he just wants to brag. Childish but extremely common.

You know when people come over drinking and you freeze all their keys in a bowl? Try that.

I like the idea of fucking him over for being on the phone. When he gets on his phone, a wild arrow finds its way into his characters rear end, or he seems to have dropped a piece of gear. However I admit-
has the better solution.

Kill him, user. No-one will really miss him. Not really.

dont be a cunt, OP
if you guys have a regular group she might think he's cheating or might one day use the group as an excuse to cheat.

yeah maybe they should trust eachother a little more, but i get it. id be anxious if my girlfriend went and hung out with a group often without me around, especially if they were doing things i had no interest in, or had no business being around for

Don't let him play, how hard is this for people to realize?

There people are ruining everyone's evening.

>The "I'm a beta" way

The kinds of people who use their phones during RPGs are the kind of people who don't respond to that shit. They have no basic sense of courtesy, and are broadcasting that they want to be somewhere else in a group activity that requires everyone to pay attention the entire time.

Fuck problem players; they are never worth it. All the patience, passiveness, and explanations are never enough for them to go, "you know what? I shouldn't be dicking around on my phone during an RPG." Meanwhile, the entire rest of the table agrees with you, and is telling them to fuck off with the phone too.

>implying that someone using their phone at the table isn't the cunt

>Hey guys, Brett here doesn't know how to have a healthy relationship in which he can separate from his girlfriend for several hours for an activity.
>Let's let him ruin everyone's evening because he's retarded.

that's the most pussy shit ever. The dude has shown himself to be unable to have any respect for his own word, or for the other players.

Jesus fuck, dude. You have a problem.

lol this so beta its crazy.

Have a basket for phones. Hold it out for him to put his phone in. If he doesn't, put it in front of him and tell him to put his phone in there when he's ready to play.

You're right, user. The correct thing to do is to throw a temper tantrum and loudly kick the player out of your house, while cursing him and his family name for ten generations.

Don't forget to look him right in the eye as you fuck his girlfriend; this will assert your dominance.

what is this image and who even devoted time to making it?

You realize that you're making excuses for some stranger's rude behavior, user?

>If s/he doesn't text you every 3 minutes s/he's cheating

kek I remember my first gf. She thought this as well. Turned out she had Borderline Personality Disorder. Literally crazy as fuck.

...what the fuck is wrong with you? Throw his ass out of your fucking house! You're king, that is your castle. Don't tolerate that shit.

Yes, it is his first gf. To my knowledge, everyone else at the table is single.

Look user, I'm not going to try to convince you that I'm a good GM, but I regularly ask my players for feedback on what's going on. Every time I've asked him he says that he's having a great time and that he loves the way I'm running things, and so on and so on.

I really don't want to desu. We've been playing together since we were 13, and before this shit started he was easily the best roleplayer in the group. What I really want is for him to stop acting like a dick, and go back to being fun to play with.

>Yes, it is his first gf
Now here comes the really important question: Did he ever get laid before?
Also, stop frogposting you faggot

>Yes, it is his first gf. To my knowledge, everyone else at the table is single.

Just as I suspected.
Nerds who get GFs like to rub it into their single friends faces.
A dick move that while understandable from a certain point of view is still pathetic.
If he isn't a close friend I'd kick him out as he clearly has no regards for your feelings or the game.

Oh shit, he's going into maximum overfrogposting.

It won't help him keep his player from being a dick, though.

Talk to his GF. In fact, just put his phone on loudspeaker and let her hear all of the session.

Then start ERPing with him loudly.

As someone who knows how it is to have players always on their phones, you're not their mom and it's supposed to be a fun activity, not class. I would get annoyed if my DM told me to keep my phone off, as if they have any authority over you. If the player wants to be on their phone I just shame them jokingly til they stop it and in rare cases I will impose a table wide rule (as not to single anyone out) to keep your cellphones off the table and just call for a break if you need 5 or 10 mins to dick around. If they are on their phones to the complete exclusion of the game then maybe your game is boring to them or you havent given them anything to latch onto.

>Being a disrespectful cunt
>"Naw, it's everyone else's responsibility to cater to me."

Well memed.

>everything is black and white and there needs to be rules for everything

Ok, spergo, you know there's this thing called talking to people? If people find what you're doing disrespectful, why is it up to the GM to act like the scolding teacher and take the players' phone away? Seems childish for a mature and well mannered person such as yourself.

this so hard. When I'm not DMing I have a character sheet on the table with pencils and dice and a laptop with the rulebook for reference. Obviously I have access to the internet and browse Veeky Forums while playing because there are 5-7 goddamn people in the room with one referee so I'm not always going to be needed at full attention, especially in games like Shadowrun when the hacker starts to do his thing.

It honest to god baffles me that you guys get so butthurt about people multitasking while playing. Yeah it's important and respectful to be in the game, but it's also 4-6 hours of hangout time with friends. Anyone not clinically retarded should be able to follow along with the game at half attention and be able to slide into full "playing the game" mode when the time is right.

>browsing Veeky Forums while hanging out with friends
Now who's the one with social retardation here?

I don't really see how it matters, but I'm pretty sure he's never fucked anyone before.

Yes, I agree, I'm not his mom, so that's one reason it pisses me off that I have to fucking babysit him for 3 hours

Cool, the "players can do no wrong" apologists are coming in now. I got what I needed, you guys can do your thing in here. I'm just gonna talk to the GF and see what she says. Thanks anons

Because the GM is there to facilitate the game. If you're some dumb fuck who can't pay attention and is distracting people with his phone, you're a problem and need to be dealt with as such.

Yeah I mean if you're playing a boardgame or something that can be done in one session, playing on your phone or not being ready for your turn is a cunt move, but if its a regular weekly/biweekly thing where youre all there for multiple hours, who gives a shit? If I wanted to be overly scrutinized for not paying 100% attention during my off hours I'd go in to work on the weekends.

>browse Veeky Forums while playing
>It honest to god baffles me that you guys get so butthurt about people multitasking while playing
>4-6 hours of hangout time
>Anyone not clinically retarded should be able to follow along with the game at half attention

This is most likely b8. However I know there are shitheads out there who do have this attitude for real. So either you're a shithead, or pretending to be a shithead - which in itself still makes you a shithead.

>which in itself still makes you a shithead.
I'd argue that it makes him an even greater shithead

>get anything other than an echo chamber
>"wow ok apologists, good thing I don't even need your stupid opinion"

Btw talking to his gf is about the most inappropriate possible way you could handle this short of violence. Do what you want but I gave you solid advice. Call him out during the sessions but keep it light hearted so he doesn't feel like retreating. If it's still an issue then start your next session by announcing a table wide ban on phones for stuff that isn't game related. If you wanna use your phone go take a break so you're not distracting others.

However your lack of self awareness and empathy makes me think you're just a shitty boring GM who can't keep his players interested.

I am a foreverGM and you sound like an autist that can't speak up for himself like an adult.

Yeah, because if I'm not the GM, it's my place to enforce rules in somebody else's space, you dumb fuck.

Wanna try again but actually make it clear what you're even talking about? You're a fucking adult, if someone is being anmoying, speak up. Leaving it up to the GM might make him think it's not bothering anyone else so he won't mention it.

Like I figured though you're a sperg that can't just speak his mind without being told it's ok.

Ok, OP. I gotcha. First, give him fleeting stares that lingers just a second too long. Look away when he realized you are looking at him. Then, play with your hair and pout your lips a bit. Look into his eyes when you talk to him and position your body to mirror his. Lean closer to him when he says something and always nod and smile in agreement. When you talk to him, lower your volume so that he have to lean closer to you to hear. If possible, touch him on his arms or shoulders but in a friendly non-sexual manner. You'll snatch him from the clutches of that bitch soon enough. Good luck, OP!

this is literally a problem that can be solved by giving him a handy under the table.

>OP has talked to him repeatedly
>dude has continued acting like an ass
>somehow OP needs to "call him out" in a non confrontational manner (however you do that)
>in front of everyone else, where the guy has an audience and no incentive to back down
Yup, solid advice

Then fucking kick him out holy shit, you're such a fucking faggot user. This thread reads like some twink beta bitch trying to get a players dick and being jelly of his girlfriend. Worst thread on Veeky Forums

>this
>worst thread
>not one of the Excuse me threads
Close but no cigar

Cancel the next session for everyone but him. Put on nice music, light some candles, and while he's processing the situation, get him with the chloroform from behind. Then take him into your basement and break him until you can use him as a table to play Settlers of Catan on.

>how could you do something as socially complicated as calling someone out without being a total asshole about it

Gee it's really a mystery I guess. Also

>implying he's going on his phone to be defiant not because he's bored

Shit player if true, if not, shit GM. Either way you know they're playing PF or some gay shit like that.

i have the same legit problem, except this dude is slipping away from Veeky Forums and is on the precipice of a normie life

wat do Veeky Forums

Kill him and wear his face as a mask. Suffer not the normie to live.

>What should I do if he tells me to fuck off and shows up anyway?
Tell him to get the fuck out of your house or you're calling the cops.

Alternatively,

OH GODS NOT AGAIN

honest question, what the fuck about my post makes you think I'm trolling? Other than
>browsing Veeky Forums while playing
what about my post triggered you so hard?

He's just one of those people who thinks there's some sort of stone tablets that dictates what makes a good game experience. For extended/large party sessions and especially beer and pretzels game, splitting your attention is fine. As long as you aren't asking me what's going on every time I call on your for an action, it doesn't bother me if someone is on their phone/laptop partly.

>I would get annoyed if my DM told me to keep my phone off, as if they have any authority over you.
You know what you could do to address that problem? Not fuck around with your phone like an inconsiderate, self-entitled cunt when you're doing a group activity. There's an interpersonal dynamic at a game table and somebody being distracted and distracting other people can kill the inertia and throw people off their game. Put your fucking phone away and there won't be any conflict. Oh, and by the way, it's primarily the GM's responsibility to manage the game and make things run smoothly, and this does put him in a position of authority.

these posts back to back, it's like pottery

I like the idea of doing this passive-aggressively. Like when he's on the phone feign concern over his enjoyment of the game, but go really overboard with it, trying to seem as earnest as possible. You're really troubled that he doesn't seem to be enjoying things as much as he should and that's a disaster akin him having cancer. Stop things so you can have a frank discussion with him over how you fix things for him and restore his love for the game. Don't falter when, embarrassed, he tries to brush it off, saying things are fine. Oh, no! Obviously there's something terribly wrong, and you're committed to winning back his trust. No, he's just trying to be kind, but you won't hear of it. If you have to psychoanalyze him in order to get to the heart of the matter, that is what you'll do. "What's wrong, man. You can tell me. I want to help. I can tell you're not having a good time and I can fix that; I really can. But you have to talk to me."

And just keep pestering him for an obnoxiously long period of time before reluctantly trailing off and getting back to the game, maybe shooting him concerned looks occasionally thereafter. And the next time he starts texting on his phone? Start right back in, redoubling your efforts to get him to bare his soul. Brush aside his deflections and insist on getting to the heart of the matter, being doubly tenacious this time. And only very reluctantly taper off and return to the game again.

Keep doing this until he's suffering PTSD and flinches from the prospect of spending another 5 minutes of assuring you there is no problem. Once he decides that texting is not even close to being worth the hassle, you've won the battle.

Kill him irl OP, let his death serve as a warning for others who wouldn't take your game seriously.

In seriousness, tell him you're honestly going to kick him if he doesn't change what he's doing. If he shows up anyways, be a man, politely tell him to leave, and that he's not welcome anymore. If that fails, just shove the fucker out of your house, he'll get the picture.

Using your phone in a social gathering (barring emergencies) is completely disgusting and an insult to everybody there. Tell him to knock it off or don't invite him next time. Don't let him disrespect you like that.

>Step 1 talking to him like an adult.
An adult would not have to be reminded to turn off his fucking phone.

>"yo can you make loverboy stop texting you during games? I know it's cute and all but he can't stop e-flirting with you long enough for us to be nerds together"

Cringiest shit I've read in at least three weeks.

You know, just because someone shows up at your house doesn't mean you have to let them in.