What are some good generic dungeon designs?

What are some good generic dungeon designs?

I mostly just mean the general layout. How the rooms are connected and laid out.

Dungeon design thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon
donjon.bin.sh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>good generic dungeon designs?
Descending level by level, with each level corresponding to the party's level.

Check out five room dungeon layouts.

Jaquayed. Read this article:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

>Multiple entrances
>Non-linear progression creating meaningful path choices
>loops
>connections between levels
>sublevels
>secret paths

I've never played a Dungeon crawler RPG, but if I did I feel like I'd make sure that the dungeons made sense and weren't just a series of connected rooms that exist to hold monsters that might have sweet loot. If its inhabitants are intelligent, consider the alterations they might have made. A goblin may well have carved a lot of small tunnels that only he can access, a dumb ogre may well ignore the little man-sized door that connects room and he's plowed through a brick dividing wall. Little things like that, just because the room is 4 metres by 6, doesn't mean it's a 4*6 box.

> 2016
> still using dungeons which automatically restrict character agency and choke creativity

This is the kind of shit that Dungeons and Dragons has caused. 3.5 and 4e, and 5e to a lesser extent, has fucking destroyed this hobby by reducing its members to a bunch of drooling idiots who can't handle a choice beyond "go right or left." I ran a 6 year campaign in Dungeon World that did not include a single dungeon. How? By telling a good story, being creative, and being a fan of the players. They rolled a 10+ on their 2d6? They succeed at whatever they wanted to do. No. Questions. Asked. Your job as the GM is to enable fun and inspire creativity, not to restrict the players into the same cookie cutter bullshit that has been corrupting this hobby for the past 30 years. No wonder so few women play RPGs; they probably can't handle how fucking boring most GMs are, with their simple cookie-cutter campaigns that have three choices on what goddamn hallway you go down, and all of them end in plain old meaningless, contextless violence.

I'm sure people have answered this numerous times, but what is a gaming dungeon supposed to be for? Why are they built?

There's the obvious meta answer of, "It exists because I need a spooky place to put tons of monsters and traps and treasure".

Were medieval prison cells and their corridors supposed to be labyrinthine?

Depends on the context and the general tone of the setting. Not everything needs to operate the same way the real world does, nor do things always need a logical reason for existing.

Maybe an immense dungeon just appears from out of nowhere and rises from the ground.
Maybe the entire campaign could be exploring it and trying to figure out why the actual fuck it exists.

You can have dungeons that fit into stories. It seems youre the boring one who has no imagination.

Where do the orcs live that raid the town? Where is that vampire hanging out between feeding? The dragon has a horde somewhere. The lord organizing a coupe thay you intend to stop lives in a mansion probably, not a single family home.

All can lead to "dungeons".

Oblivion's Ayleid ruins.
Basically any -actual dungeon- dungeon from Shivering Isles.

The Dwemer Puzzle Box dungeon from Morrowind, and the big Dwemer dungeon from Tribunal.

Hi Austin

To explain the 5 room dungeon
>Room 1 is the gate guardian, fluff wise this is the 'why has no one else cleared this place out already', if the PC randomly stumbled across the dungeon it may also be the encounter which draws their attention to it
>the second room is a skill challange, this is a bit for people who didn't focus on combat skill, it can also be a puzzle for the players if your group likes that kind of thing. If you had the dungeon entrance encounter as the skill challenge you may have this be a combat encounter instead.
>Room 3 is where some kind of twist happens, if the players happened across the dungeon this is where they find out what it is, if they knew who their enemy was they find out something new about them, this can involve an encounter if appropriate
>Room 4 is the big fight, this should involve enemies with a variety of abilities preferably in a room with features than impact the fight, this is where you get your players to think tactically and will generally be the 'set-piece' of your dungeon.
>Room 5 should wrap everything up, if there was an ancient artifact, they find it, if there was a big bad the defeat him, if there was a hostage they rescue them, can optionally be an encounter but doesn't need to be if it doesn't fit or you don't want to throw them straight back into the fire after room 4. If there's an ongoing adventure this is where you put your next plot hook.

Ankle-biter detected.

What the fuck is an ankle biter? Some bullshit you made up to strawman those who call you on D&D's bullshit?

I belive he's calling you a manlet or child.

I run a 5e game that is made up of exclusively women, and we're having a fucking blast playing regular ol' D&D in Faerun.

bump

Here are my last 4 dungeons

>troglodyte village in a cave on the shores of an underground lake, included submerged tunnels and giant undead bats
>a flying castle that had fallen and turned sideways, had a tiny society of insane homunculi that had built inside the ruins
>a crypt of a god who was concerned with the cycle of birth and rebirth, in the lowest chamber they found a pit of skeletons and a very old elf (they had to solve a few puzzles to figure out how to get there, was good)
>a goblin burrow, had what amounted to a goblin meth lab in it as the little fuckers were practicing alchemy and being drug runners

Why not generate some?

donjon.bin.sh/

Great tool for comprehensive dungeon generation

>Me fail English? That's unpossible!

How about "babby"? Is "babby" enough of a "dank meme" for a youngster such as yourself?

Damn thats what I was going to post, but yeah use that to get a nice layout and sprinkle enemies as you wish.