What elements are necessary for a western?

What elements are necessary for a western?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J0BrdMi-oyc
youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Earth and air

Poverty.
Violence.
Cheap, dirty sex.
High temperature.
Unsafe drinking water.
Abundant cheap alcohol.
Guns.

The same elements that are necessary for a samurai movie.

CREATING A SUCCESSFUL WESTERN: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE.
STEP 1: Make sure your setting is in the west.
WIN EVERYTHING FOREVER.

>not acting like a hollywood poser
>acting like a mature, grown up man

This is pretty good. But I'd like to add "Frontier Justice"

Is it bad that while watching it I keep thinking that Denzel Washington's character is a bit like Bass Reeves?

The same elements that are necessary for a tanker movie.

Why don't you go ask /tv/?

The fuck would /tv/ know about running a Western themed game?

Maybe the older stuff. The Spaghetti westerns kinda did away with it in favor of revenge stories.

Earth.
Wind.
Whiskey.
Fire.
Grit.

>>not acting like a hollywood poser
define hollywood poser
>>acting like a mature, grown up man
define mature grown man

Its funny

>New movie is based on an old movie which itself was based off of a Japanese classic

It's like if someone remade A Fistful of Dollars

>define hollywood poser
google: western remake
>define mature grown man

The core element to all westerns seems to be that one man (or woman) can make a difference, and sometimes they're the ONLY thing that can.

This also:
>Violence
Violence.
>Three line backstories that are bond together with each other and the plot / bbeg
the heroes of a western should never have a too elaborate backstory, 3 full sentences should be what you want, maybe 5. The backstories of the PCs should connect in some way, maybe they were together in the army, fought each other or were in the same gang etc. Also there should be a lot of room for bullshitting in the backstory because telling made up tales and boasting about achievements you may or may not have made, as well as legends spreading about your name, is a big element.
>Violence
Violence.
>Diversity
The wild west is a melting pot of different cultures, indians, mexicans, chinese, irish and many more. There is a lot of room for conflicts and exploring.
>Gun Violence
In duells, shoot outs, executions, bar fights, everything.

True Grit.... and horses.

>revenge
Isn't that basically what frontier justice is?

There are two things which generally make something a western (other than the setting): The first is the idea of a society based much more on personal honor and family ties than any legal or political management. Laws and hierarchy matter less than who has a feud with who or who owes who his life. You may just want to do this through GMing but if you did want to mechanize it then some kind of bonds system or social currency could create this feeling.
The second is the idea of the protagonists as outsiders, this links closely with the one above since being a wanderer the protagonists are even less part of a traditional social order than normal. In game terms this is standard for most adventurers though.
Also but less important is the setting as being the edge of civilization, both literally and metaphorically. There are communities but those are isolated. For everyone making a living in town there's someone who became a bandit.

A bad man and a good man who refuses to do nothing.

Or For A Few Dollars More

Slow dialogues with few words. You are under a punishing sun and surrounded by an ocean of dust, you don't want to waste saliva. No, no snow allowed. No, no rain allowed. Yes I know about snowy westerns.

Dust.

A lot of it.

That's wrong though dummy.

Violence
Isolation
Frontier justice

A wild frontier.

Opportunism testing the moral fiber of society.

True believers.

So grogs, how do you suppose we bridge the gap between sword and sorcery and western themes without getting into cogfop bullshitery?

Watch the Dollars trilogy and mentally replace the guns with swords.

No user, you don't understand, I want guns AND swords

Just have small mostly isolated communities and a hero/heroes travelling between them getting involved and fixing trouble, but being unappreciated because locals see them as another trouble maker anyways.

Now you can do western, samuari, post apocalyptic and lots of else. Basically anything that isn't too modern.

What's For A Few Dollars More based on? I know Fistful's pretty much Yojimbo, and I can't think of anything GBU would be based on.

>guns AND swords
You're already in cogfop land, you varmint.

Poverty.
Lax use of law.
Cowboy hats.
Hunting of game.
Rolling for disintery.

I...is that a f...fucking pirate-cowboy?

Fuck me and call me Nancy i like it.

I like it a lot.

They only remade The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly though - what was that one based on? Oh, and 'they' are Koreans, and The Good, The Bad and The Weird is a surprisingly decent movie

That happens in the west.

Don't do a "magical awakening" thing that leads to a rapid increase in technology like Shadowrun did, just add fantasy races and themes to an old west setting and keep the tech level appropriate to the era. Cogfop shit only happens when you try to make a high tech setting with a victorian aesthetic.

If you're gonna have magic keep it confined to weird little folk rituals that get more complicated as they get more dramatically effective.

True Grit comes from tempering common grit with fire and whiskey.

Fire and whisky you say?

I get what you're saying but I'm not trying to emulate Deadlands or Call of Cthulhu or anything, basically just D&D 5e in a western style setting because I can't fucking stand the bog standard LoTR faggot elf songs/european dirt farming village sort of settings.

Just jam mongols and other asian steppe peoples, samurai, cowboys and injuns into the same setting and let nobody have access to heavy armour.

Mere fire won't do.

You'll need fanned coals for that, or the grit won't have the right incandescence. A train engine boiler fire will do, or a look of disapproval from a beautiful settler town teacher.

A sense of great potential needs to be the focus point, from my interpretation of most Westerns. The West is the land of opportunity. Ex-slaves can come out and be free, man can make his own world for himself, a town can be saved from a ruthless Eastern criminal and set its eyes toward a bright future.

Revenge isn't necessarily just.

A gun, six bullets, and a thirst for vengeance.

>In game terms this is standard for most adventurers though.
Important to add to this, though: towns should not jump for joy when the PCs arrive. They've had a lot of PCs so far, more bad than good, and expecting some wanderers to help out and only take the pay they accepted is gonna be tough to rationalize. So towns will be wary of letting anything on to you until you can prove yourself.

You need 3 things for a good western.
Guns.
More guns.
And a mystery.

Dogs in the vineyard has never looked so good.

>Tfw when you always wanted to play a Western Campaign but none of your friends are into Westerns as much as you.
>tfw you will never play as that disgraced Confederate General out for revenge like you always wanted to.

Late 19th century North America, west of the Rockies, typically California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona.

"Civilization" is what you bring with you. There's a clash of cultures between established settlers, eastern cityfolk, and the natives. Nobody really understands how the other types live and consequently have fear and mistrust toward them.

There's no higher temporal authority to call upon. Local law enforcement has a free hand to deal with crime and punishment because of the difficulty in communicating with superiors on the other side of the continent.

>Dead Space is a western
>Law and Order is a western
>Delta Green is a western
>L. A. Noire is a western
>Inception is a western
I like the idea user but I think it may need a little more fleshing out. Maybe not, I have literally no experience with westerns that aren't in space.

Yeahhh, maybe it wasn't the most thought out thing I've ever written on this site. but really it sounded cool in my head.

And inspired by even older westerns.

Mexico and Brazil are western?

It's really interesting how samurai movie protagonists and western movie protagonists tend to fall in the same cultural archetypes.

>literally Seven Samurai
Guns, swords, a group of wandering heroes protecting a town from bandits, getting no respect from the townsfolk for their sacrifices.

sand

1. Ignore history, romanticized stories of the wild frontier only apply
2. Romanticize racism, whether it be power-negro vs. Ku Klax Kai or Chinaman Chin-Pong Wash Up Wagon.
3. Romanticize death and murder. Nothing is better than becoming a travelling killer
4. Make sure Kurt Russel is nowhere near any guitars.
5. Women are one of four categories: City lady, howdy ya'll-whore, nun or teacher
6. Natives are an amalgamation and interchangeable as needed
7. Only British, Germans and Irish people came from Europe to America, no other existed.
8. Everybody hangs always, nobody ever gets killed any other way if not involved in a gun fight
9. It must be written be Italians. If you're not an Italian, it's not a western
10. Everybody either drinks whiskey like water or is a puritan
11. Six shooters can fire up to 30 or so times before running out of bullets
12. It happens in a desert, no vegetation or trees. Any western with anything other than cacti and canyons are not westerns.
13. There must be a reference to John Wayne or no dice
14. Somebody plays a guitar and sings a somber or creepy song
15. Big Black Dingus

I know this you pretending to be retarded but

>No trees or vegetation
>Literally one of the most iconic scenes from one of the most iconic movies has a shit load of trees and grass in the background

youtube.com/watch?v=J0BrdMi-oyc

i thought they were artistic graves

are there any fantasy westerns?
without elves and dwarfs?
what races should be in a fantasy western?

i know one thing... there must be a whiskey elemental as a monster

Deadlands.

The sixth gun if you want to play in the wild west, deadlands if you want to play in a canyon riddled alt history deathstone or whatever it's called infested weird west.
Def. no bias here.

Conflict between the myth of what the West is supposed to be seen as versus what it actually is. "When the fact becomes legend, print the legend."
Conflict between aging ideals of masculinity versus the pragmatism of advancing modernity.
Conflict between the danger and unknown of the frontier versus the safety and security of modern life in the home.
Conflict between the differing American romantic ideals of the outlaw hero versus the establishment hero.

Masterpieces include The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Unforgiven, and McCabe and Mrs Miller.

Thread theme?
youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE

the new magnificient seven doesn't suck at all.
Remakes and reboots usually are just shit that tries to sell by the established name, and yes this movie kind of does try to make money by that name but what's more important is that the western genre was basically dead and this movie shows producers that they can make money with good old wild west stories, without making them weird west and adding steam punk spiders, Jackie Chan or a stupid alien story.
I went to that movie because I want to see more new western without fantasy crap.

Weirdly accurate

Probably a compass

It's like you are not even fucking trying at all.
Or saw a western in your life

Deadlands, at least the early editions and vanilla game.
Dogs in the Vineyard is as far as I'm concerned fantasy western too

>the new magnificient seven doesn't suck at all.
Who are you trying to convince here? Yourself?
The movie could just change title to "Shit blows up" and it would be fine. But nah, let's pretend it has anything to do with one of THE most iconic westerns ever made or one of the first modern films made.

I guess you've missed Open Range then. The last good western made. And anti-western at that, too.
Really, the genre is dead. Not because there is no interest in it or public got tired (like it happend in the late 60s), but because studios no longer even try to make western as such. No, instead they produce bullshit films that happen to take place in the prairies, in style of all the shit you've already mentioned. Literally since Open Range there wasn't any big-budget western made or released, unless we count The Proposition and The Good, The Bad and The Weird as westerns.

no country for old men was a good western

>power-negro vs. Ku Klax Kai or Chinaman Chin-Pong Wash Up Wagon.

This is definitely something to bear in mind. There will be white Americans (including Northern carpetbaggers), there will be native Americans, Chinese laborers, freed/escaped slaves, Irish, British, Mexicans.

Don't just go with the blanket "Everyone is western white American".

Clint Eastwood

The Man With No Name could be included as an NPC in everyone's game, and be ludicrously overpowered, like Caine in WoD.

Warriors who, through isolation and exposure to violence, have become emotionally stunted and disconnected from society. They are given an opportunity to regain some aspect of their humanity, either by giving up violence or escalating it tremendously. Their efforts grant them some degree of satisfaction, but in the end they either fail to achieve their goals, or attain a Pyrrhic victory.

Kind of a square/rectangle situation there.

It barely had anything to do with western if you actually start analysing it.

Hell or High Water was almost a Western and I enjoyed it.

I don't think you've watched it.

Mexico yes, Brazil no.

Kurosawa just transposed western codes in feodal japan though. It just came full circle.
And apparently the movie is pretty good. Chris Pratt is in fucking everything right now. This one, the one with Jennifer Lawrence, Guardians really helped his career.

Well, it WAS a tribute to Seven Samurai, oiginally.

>ignoring based fire.

It is based on Sanjuro. Both the "Dollar" movies are pretty much the same as the samurai ones, except with Toshiro Mifune.

First you must replace more than half the original cast with diversity hires, then you must make sure that none of the white males give anything resembling an order to a poor, oppressed minority, then you must have at least one of the white males represent everything that you hate so that you can demonize him and make him a coward, make one of the whites a drunkard and a lecher, and the other one a fat joke with a high-pitched voice that makes everyone giggle when he talks.
Make the BBEG an evil white male capitalist, too, because the original might offend Mexicans (who are rightful owners of American clay).
And make sure that not a single white male, lead or extra, survive the movie.

So you've just confirmed you've not even seen the movie. Because basically everything you said is factually incorrect.

Penguins and Anti-Penguins.

Disregarding history is vital.

No, frontier justice may require retribution, but not revenge. Revenge is something you do to satisfy a personal obsession, frontier justice is about protecting people and doing the right thing, through the use of violence.

"Western" already is going with totally romanticized version of history anyway.

He doesn't have time to watch movies, it infringes on his shitposting schedule.

What did I say that was false?
Chris Adams, Cajun gunslinger, lead the Seven in the original. He was replaced by Sam Chism, law-man and magical negro.
Britt got replaced by Lee, asian manservant.
Lee (the original) had his outlaw origin usurped by some Mexican and his veteran status replaced by a yellow-bellied confederate.
And they threw in a fucking comanche for who the fuck knows what reason.

Of the main characters left, Faraday is an Irishman who clearly has a drinking problem and enjoys blowing shit up, Horne is fat man with high voice who serves as comic relief (deny it if you want, but everyone in my theatre laughed at the fuck every time he was on screen), and Goodnight spend most of the movie desperately avoiding anything that might reveal he has testicles.

Bogue is literally a caricature of evil capitalism. He replaces Wallach, Mexican bandit leader.

As near as I could tell from the final scene, the only survivors were Negro, Mexican, Comanche, and Strong Woman.

So fuck you.

Are you searching for sjw crap to get offended by? The mexican is a criminal the black has his every step watched (not in the town he saves) the asian is laughed at, the indian is an outcast, the joke character is their tactician with an annoying voice, actually all whites are either smart, witty or a sharpshooting legend.

>tarantio is an sjw menace
actually kekd out loud

The whites were the most fleshed out and likeable characters.
How autistic are you that you can't handle whites dying and beans blacks and indians surviving? Not everything has a political agenda