GURPS General /gurpsgen/

Thursday is GURPSDay edition.

What blogs are you [spoilers]shilling[/spoilers]reading, /gurpsgen/? I've been following The Collaborative Gamer. The idea of a solo GURPS game intrigues me, but I don't see it working with more rules than the bare minimum, a la GURPS Lite.

Other urls found in this thread:

pseudoboo.blogspot.com/
gamingballistic.blogspot.com/
southernstylegurps.blogspot.com/
pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/09/session-recap-until-it-sleeps-session-1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ooZyHLLQ5e8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used to hit up The Ballistic Gamer and Ravens and Pennies all the time, but for one reason or another I don't really visit any of them anymore.

Since I've been prepping for a megadungeon campaign, though, I've been frequenting Dungeon Fantastic. Plus there's the blog that's run by an user that posts here. I always forget to go to the blog on my own, but I do follow any links posted.

pseudoboo.blogspot.com/ My blog!

>Factory for enchantments calculations

Neato.

I like these things. It helps making a comprehensive magic using setting.

Hey, I've been lookinf for a download link for the Transhuman Space Core. Can anyone here help me find it? I prrety much looked every torrent and filesharer I've found so far, but with no luck.

Check the OP. Older GURPS Books > Transhuman Space > Transhuman Space.pdf

Thanks I thought it was 4ed, so I only looked there.

I frequent bloganon's blog. Used to read Ravens'n'Pennies, but stopped. Wanted to start my own blog to share content, but then decided not to.

TS: Changing Times is the 3e>4e update PDF, so it has most of the mechanics. If you want lore or context, though, you need the 3e book.

I like this one! You come up with some creative stuff.

gamingballistic.blogspot.com/

Is a pretty good one too. There's a lot of interesting content there.

As long as it's Pimp my Blog hour...

southernstylegurps.blogspot.com/

I've got a character who's sold 4 of his senses(He has Deaf, Numb and No Smell/Taste) in exchange for awesome vision. Is it objectionable for me to sell off his Per down to 0 and buy up only Acute Vision instead?

Once you've started down that path, you might as well go on.

Certain skills, spells, and advantages still call for raw PER rolls that are neither limited by you lacking those four senses nor are benefitted by Accute Vision. It's a fringe case, but it may still come up every now and then.

Also yeah as a GM I'd be wary of that combination. How many points are you getting for all those disadvantages plus buying PER down to 0?

Dungeon Fantastic, bloganon, and the "At the Movies" posts from Shooting Dice. I like what Ravens 'n' Pennies does, but the white text on black layout is horrible. I'd like to read more play reports, but most seem to have only a handful of sessions before the game dies.

Disadvantage combo is worth 45, Since he has IQ 13 Per 0 is worth 65. 110 total. Disadvantage limit is 150 and I'm at 111 due to that along with a quirk. Point total if 350 incase you're wondering.

I want to release a catgirl nanovirus!

Go away David Pulver, you creep us out.

An affliction which causes people to become catgirls and also gives them an uncontrollable version of the same affliction. The afflictions given by the affliction also give afflictions, ad infinitum. That or just an appropriate skill roll to program the virus.

In Low Tech it says you can reload a Iron Fire Lance and how long it takes, but I can't find the ammunition cost or how much it cost to recharge it anywhere.

Is there no rule for this or am I just missing it?

Do bad illumination penalties apply to active defenses or only to skills?

Looks like from 394 basic set that you don't take a penalty as long as you can see them at all. If you can't, you take -4 to defensive rolls as long as you are aware you are under attack, and can't defend at all if you aren't aware you are under attack.

Selling out Per to 0 AND grabbing disadvantages that removes some senses sounds like double-dipping.

Dropping anything to less then 3 is a hard no in most games.

Being legless/paraplegic forces you to lower Basic Move to 0 and gives you full points for it. On top of the actual points for the disadvantage, doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Well, he keeps his vision, means his perception is still there.

How would you stat instant win or death spells such as in GURPS Magic - Death Spells using Ritual Path Magic?

For example:

You banish a demon that doesn't know teleportation back to hell.

You teleport a creature inside the sun, a black hole or an unknowable planar dimension of cosmic agony and destruction.

You fill a creature's lungs with water.

You give a creature the illusion of a heart attack with full pain and awful sensations. Hopefully, you encourage an actual one.

You resurrect the creature's stomach contents as a zombie that eats its way out.

GURPS Powers recommend using Affliction: Heart Attack for instant death or just raw damage to completely destroy body.

Banishing things to other planes/universes can be done with Affliction: Advantage(Jumper). Teleporting something elsewhere is the same deal but with Warp as opposed to Jumper. You can cause a literal heart attack with an affliction, as well as choking which you can say is filling their lungs with water. Their are rules for making Afflictions as RPM spells on page 16.

That last one is a just an Internal Damage spell with Cyclic based on the rules on page 17.

I see, thanks. At least Parry and Block should get the penalty because they are based on skills.

LT40, Fireworks. Fire-lances use rockets (TL3).

Darkness penalties apply to skill penalties. Lowering your skill reduces your parry, and increasing it raises your parry. Since darkness penalties lower your skill, your defenses are reduced.

Assuming you have an even skill level, every two levels of darkness worsens your Parry or Block by 1. Dodge would be worsened for every four levels of darkness.

-4 to active defense (parry/block) rolls is the same as -8 in darkness penalties. A full -10 would be like defending against an invisible attacker.

>Their are
I hope you just posted from phone.

-4 is the penalty for defending when fighting something invisible.

The artillery rocket? Seems wrong, that comes with a guide stick.

>tfw you never got enough spare cash to back the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter

Hopefully my FLGS will pick up a box or two when it comes out.

First session recap for a new campaign.
pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/09/session-recap-until-it-sleeps-session-1.html

Zomg lol

GURPS OF DARKNESS!
IT WILL MAKE CHARS LIVE AND DIE
GURPS OF DARKNESS!! IS NOTHING BUT A LIE
GURPS OF DARKNESS... WILL TURN AWAY FROM GRACE
DM is FULL OF PRIDE, NEVER SAW THE LIGHT OF LOVE...

They already had an official VtM conversion for 3E, which is more or less comparable with 4E.

ur more or less compatible with 4E

Thanks dad

>and also gives them an uncontrollable version of the same affliction.
that's infectious attack m8

Quick question(s)

On Planar Summons and Plane Shift from Magic (p. 82, 83) it states that you can only use it for a certain plane.

Does it mean that as in universe/dimension specific i.e. (*Our* Christian Hell) or (Homeline Greek Underworld)?
Or does it mean to specify by class like (Faerie Realms) and (Pocket Universes)?
Or maybe by dimension and class as in (Reich-5 Heavens) and (Homeline Material Plane)?

>inb4 depends on the setting
Assume that the Infinite Worlds setting or something similar is in play.
>inb4 depends on the GM
Lets say you're the GM, what do you do?

Pic unrelated.

(You)
Actually now that I read that again, the pic ended up being relevant.

I'm going with the second option in which it only works with the relevant class on the present dimension. Thanks /gurpsgen/

>High-Tech: Pulp Guns includes Aleksandr Zhuk in recommended literature
Aww hell yeah. Why GURPS bibliographies always have such a patrician-tier taste?

Sounds about right. I'd assume if you want to use Planar Summons on a different universe you'd need to learn the spell for the local afterlife/shadow dimension/ect.

I guess if your GM rules that all universes connect to the same afterlife that you would be able to use the same one everywhere.

They tend to be well researched and cited. It's nice.

Going to be doing some Crusadeing and I could use some advice GURPSGEN. I know it's not as interesting as "how to cook opium" in the last thread.

For an 11th century / TL 3 with 160 points game how much armor is too much? Should you try to stay light enough to keep a certain move and to keep some level of Dodge or just put on the best heavy armor I can?

Is it worth layering armor and eating the -1 DX?

Well, shield, retreat and combat reflexes can rise dodge and parry pretty high, so that's viable.
Halberds and shit are already here while glorious plate is not (at least for torso), so you can't really rely on armor against heavily armed opponents. Personally, I don't like having more than light encumbrance, in combat at least.
I honestly don't understand how people survive in TL3, I always take at least brigandine if not breastplate

There is, of course, the occasional miss not that this is in the bibliography.

IIRC, they quoted L. Ron Hubbard as well somewhere.

How much damage is being dealt? If your DR is double what the max damage you'll run into is it's unnecessarily high. For a tank I tend to aim for about 70-80% of the expected max damage in DR. Maybe as low as 60% if higher nerfs mobility too much.

Lower encumbrance is about a lot more than keeping dodge. If you're only at Move 2 you won't be able to catch an opponent or avoid being surrounded.

There's a perk that negates the layering penalty.

I think they did so when talking about the social power of religious groups, something ol' Hubby had a lot of personal experience with.

That perk is highly cinematic, as evidenced by it only being listed as a Dungeon Fantasy powerup.

Wtf, I hate RPK now.

This was posted over on EN World. Preview of a new monster in the upcoming Dungeon Fantasy game. Thought I'd share it here for those who missed it.

Somebody should add Incantation Magic to the magic system comparison pasta in the OP.

I think I know this texture.

Should just be a lot of black powder, not an entire actual rocket. No idea how much though.

How would I make the effects of Stretching(Force Extension) apply to an entire limb? In other words, just make the entire limb invulnerable. I'm trying to stat something like pic related and think that would be a good start.

Can you even afford enough armour that you need to worry about that?

Historical loadouts seem to be roughly 40-70 lbs. of armour.

I'd probably recommend heavy mail for the torso, fine or light mail for the limbs. Neck should have mail of some kind, connected to a light plate helmet. Then have a greathelm which covers the skull and face with another layer of light plate. Feet get light layered leather, any part of the legs not covered by mail gets layered cloth and hands can be protected by mail, plate or segmented plate (mail is more historical, but the bonus punching damage for plate is appealing).

Layering armour sucks pretty hard in GURPS, so I'd generally avoid it unless you really want to make a walking tank, which is probably a bit ambitious at 160 points.

No arms and Telekinesis (visible, limited range, other modifiers as you see fit)?

Can I parry with TK? I don't remember seeing. Even if I can I think that counts as a power parry, and you can only use a power defense once per turn.

Also I'd like the character to be able to swing around with the water tentacles, all spiderman-like.

>Telekinesis
It allows you to control anything you can see (within range). It doesn't really work for physical manipulation.
I'd say, apply Force Extension to each arm, 10 points to make both arms invulnerable.
Keep in mind that fully enclosed helmets usually give hard hearing and no peripheral vision.

So in the same way that you add Extra Arms modifiers to existing arms? That seems like a pretty good solution. I guess I could apply Switchable in the same way.

>Keep in mind that fully enclosed helmets usually give hard hearing and no peripheral vision.

That's why you have a greathelm over a bascinet, so you can take it off when you need full vision and still protect your skull.

Athough a nasal helm and mail collar or coif is a pretty good comprise. Add (perforated) cheek guards and you have a decent chance of stopping attacks to the face with no loss of hearing or vision.

I don't think it's been out long enough for it to be seriously tested in play.

Help, how do I do a pocket plane/universe/"dimension" under somebody's control. A la Reality Marbles from Fate, Barriers from Madoka or even something like Leliel's deal from Evangelion. Using Jumper to get there seems alright, but how do I go about putting the control of such a pocket plane into stats?

How about control/create "matter native to my pocket plane" "accessibility: only while inside my pocket plane"?

Normally I say that create and control aren't the best way to do something, or even a good way, but this sounds like exactly what you want. Specific abilities should still be statted up as normal powers, though - a pocket dimension that slowly inflicts madness should have some sort of affliction (delusions/phobias/etc.), for example.

Pyramid #3/63 Infinite Worlds II has an article called "Lord of Your Own Domain" that is all about creating your own pocket dimensions; the rules allow for averything from sparse realms the size of a small bedroom to stocked interdimensional laboratories (complete with time distortion, allowing you to complete months of work and study in a real-world week) to mind-bending dreamscapes of your own creation where you are god. For things like the witchs' barriers from Madoka, you'll need the most expensive version of the Tunneling enhancement to connect your pocket realm to reality at multiple locations.

Alternitavely, Powers: The Weird has Demiurgy ability on page 33 -- in plain terms, you reshape reality around you like like a dream. This can be a better solution for "pocket dimensions" that distort or overlap with reality rather than create everything whole cloth.

I just love trying to cobble something together with what I already know and then having somebody show me something new and perfectly applicable to what I want. GURPSgen is so good at that.

I figure my biggest threat are bandits and assholes that think a red cross is a target trying to hit the vitals. With a Heavy Mail halburk under a medium quality reinforced leather surcoat I'll have DR 8 (-2 vs CR, -1 vs IMP, +1 vs CUT) that should mostly take care of that other then abnormally strong people. I can also swap out for a light fabric surcoat if I don't need the extra armor.

For up top I think heavy mail coif + padded light iron basicnet with visor. It's DR 11 skull, DR 4 face (DR 9 on 1 out of 6), DR 5 neck. I can take off the hat when out of combat and keep the coif DR with no hard of hearing or no peripheral vision.

The Poor Knights of the Temple of Solomon are footing the bill for my equipment, so yeah. I can get reasonable armor, though not an unlimited budget.

That does mean I have a duty to protect pilgrims in the holy land.

More liek
DEUS VULT
amirite?

If you're worried about cutting damage, see if the GM is willing to use edge protection. They'll need to deal 18 points of damage to get their x1.5 wounding modifier, and at that point you're probably below 1/3rd HP anyways. Decent loadout anyways. If you're worried about encumbrance, see if your GM will let you take a level or two of Lifting ST, since BL is undershot with Basic Set's ST. I wouldn't consider it cinematic to have a level or two of Lifting ST, especially if you took Special Exercises twice.

I would try to avoid layering armor at point totals below 150. -1 to DX is really bad. Shield and sword means you have a block and parry every turn, and with a decent shield that's +2 to all defenses, including dodge. You can go for a cheap sword, since you probably aren't going to try and parry anything as heavy as a glaive anyways. Get Luck if you have cheap weapons, though - a critical failure is very likely to break it.

it's over

How big of a temporary disadvantage is being you arrested on sight and having 90% of law-abiding citizens call the cops on you for a switchable advantage?

I meant "is you being arrested", oops.

About 20%. That's equivalent to an Enemy (Local Law Enforcement), Social Stigma (Subjugated) or Appearance (Monstrous). I think those are around the level of trouble you are describing.

It's basically just Ritual Path Magic.

Affliction: Advantage (Jumper) is dumb because that costs far too much (about 100 points) which is much more than just a heart attack (30 points.) Even adding on a bunch of limitations can't cut the cost down.

>Teleport kills

Crossroads to make a gate, and maybe an anti-gravity effect to pull them in.

The cost to send them to the sun would be higher than dropping them in a volcano (and higher than dropping molten metal on them).

I actually really really like this one, I found it via some obscure gurps shit I googled.

Well if it doesn't have a heart then it can't have a heart attack.

The sorcery book has a canon example of using heart attack on an inanimate object. The Disintegrate spell.

>Affliction: Advantage (Jumper) is dumb because that costs far too much (about 100 points) which is much more than just a heart attack (30 points.) Even adding on a bunch of limitations can't cut the cost down.

Being able to permanently get rid of people and also being able to make people travel between dimensions is way better than just being able to kill people. Remember that Affliction (Jumper) can be used on yourself too, so you effectively get jumper for you and all your friends.

Yeah, and that's just normal Path of Crossroads stuff.

Afflictions are supposed to be used in rituals as something of a last resort.

Stat this!

>A sword
>Becomes a laser sword
>Is sharper than a weeaboo's depiction of a katana
>Wielder can see into the future.
>Can buff allies in terms of their attack, speed and defenses
>Can purge enemy buffs
>Has an AoE attack
>Sweet ass music plays when wielder fights

youtube.com/watch?v=ooZyHLLQ5e8

*Raises paw*
A-arigato.
=^_^=

>>A sword
ST-based melee cut attack with gadget limitation
>>Becomes a laser sword
Just add damage? Takes recharge or whatever if it's limited somehow.
>>Wielder can see into the future.
Precognition?
>>Can buff allies in terms of their attack, speed and defenses
Affliction that grant advantages?
>>Can purge enemy buffs
Affliction that gives disadvantages?
>>Has an AoE attack
Alternative ability with Area Effect and whatever else you want.
>>Sweet ass music plays when wielder fights
Nah, it's shit, take -4 on all social rolls.

Much better motto then

>non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

Try to say that when you are going into battle.

The Reenforced is mostly because it only adds a little weight and adds some style points. You are right I think, this layering might be realistic but it's painful to lose an effective point of dex for 2-4 extra DR.

>Try to say that when you are going into battle.
You just write it on your shield, so everybody can read it if they are interested.

Gotta go with the classic shield. I'll just have it on the sword.

Black and white field with a red cross on top or classic red cross on white flag?

Writing this us using Natural Weapons (Pyramid #3/65) as it's a lot easier for ST-based things. I'm also going with my headcanon in that the Monado isn't simply an anti-mechon weapon, but instead is the only thing sharp enough to get through their armor, as later on you get physical weapons that can also damage mechon -- I'm representing this with Armor Divisor. Alternitavely, the mechon racial template could include Vulnerability, x4, Rare, Monado-related attacks; Multiplier affects damage before DR, +100% [-40]

Impaling Weapon (Armor Divisor 10, +200%; Extra Damage Type, Cutting, +20%; Extra Reach 1-2, +50%; Heavy, Increase weight by 40%, +40%; Increased Damage +5, +150%; Resilient, Total, +40%; Swing-Capable, Cutting Only, +20%; Switchable, +10%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Single, Two-Handed, -50%) [45]

The Monado also grants an ER that represents the Talent Gauge:
Energy Reserve 8 (Special Recharge, -70%) [8] + Regeneration (Very Fast; Limited, ER Only, -40%; Trigger, Common, Dangerous, 1 Second, Attacking an enemy, -70%) [20]

Other Abilities:
Precognition (Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%) [4 as Alternate Ability]
Sweet-Ass BGM [1]: This perk gives +1 to the reaction rolls of important NPCs that see you fight with the Monado.

Monado Arts to follow.

Armour:
Affliction (DR 7, +350%; Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Costs Fatigue 8, -40%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/30, -30% [9 as Alternate Ability]

Buster:
I would treat this as Power Blow that draws from ER and trades extra FP/ER for higher effecive skill, letting the wielder bust this move out reliably and in little time at the cost of 8 FP/ER.

Cyclone:
Burning Attack 9d (Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Selective Area, +20%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Costs Fatigue 8, -40%; Emanation, -20%; No Incendiary Effect, -10%; Takes Extra Time 2, -20%) [9 as Alternate Ability]

Eater:
Neutralize Auras (Link, +10%; Costs Fatigue 6, -30%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Follow-Up, Monado, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/30, -30%) [25] + Toxic Attack 1d (Cosmic, Affects machines, +50%; Cyclic, 5 Cycles @ 1-Second Intervals, +500%; Link, +10%) [26]

Enchant:
Affliction (Penetrating Weapon (2)*, +340%; Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Costs Fatigue 4, -20%; Emanation, -20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/30, -30%) [9 as Alternate Ability]

Shield:
Afliction (Luck, Defensive, +120%; Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Costs Fatigue 4, -20%; Emanation, -20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/30, -30%) [5 as Alternate Ability]

Speed:
Affliction (Enhanced Dodge 2, +300%; Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Costs Fatigue 6, -30%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/30, -30%) [7 as Alternate Ability]

*This is an Imbuement statted as an advantage and grants an armor divisor of 2.
All buffs last 6 seconds, so there is a high but not total chance of them lasting an entire battle.
I dropped Monado Purge as I can't tell the difference between it and Monado Eater.
All of the above assumes human-scale combat. DR 7 is a really good buff, assuming the strongest enemy the party faces deals 2d damage.

Dayum.

I got no response (teach me for posting at the end of a thread) and couldn't find what I was looking for. I did find a program that let me knock something together.

On the off chance someone else will find this useful here is a minimal paperdoll. DR for the location goes in the box. The bottom most line is for location status (crippled, blind, etc.). The three Bleeders lines are for the HT penalty of a bleeding wound and should get a mark for if the bleeding is severe.

Bleeding is there because because all the campaign switches are set to ultra-harsh and to build tension and urgency. I'm keeping track of all HPs, FPs, bullets, and other consumables.

The character sheets are one column containing attributes, skills, advantages, and disadvantages. The other column is for the loadout.

Going to keep track of limb crippling from accumulated damage? It's brutal.

Watch out for things getting too brutal and remember most realistic wounding switches effect PC's far, far more then NPCs.

It's for a tactical run-and-gun with pre-made templates. I expect high casualties and heavy turnover. I will be very, very impressed if a PC makes it through three missions. Think "D-Day on the beach". If we have fun hopefully the surviving stat blocks will turn into actual characters.

Okay, my DF campaign starts. One player is going to start with DR 10. Other promises DR 20. Wat do?

Magical spells with arpen or maledictions helps. Fighters with enough skill to target chinks in armor (buying down the penalty with targeted attack technique helps). Just being really, really fucking STRONK. Trip and grapple to subdue. Pull off helmet (can be treated as an disarm only available after the head is grappled I guess. Don't remember reading any rules about disarming people on the fly) and punch the face. Lift them up and drop them down from a high height (armor won't protect them from that falling damage). Set them on fire (armor won't protect from heat).

Also, how are they getting that amount of DR in the first place?

>Also, how are they getting that amount of DR in the first place?
Low-Tech Armor + Fortify + Natural DR.