Have you played a mecha RPG, Veeky Forums?

Have you played a mecha RPG, Veeky Forums?

Was it any good?

theres battletech, whether or not its fun depends on how much you like simulationism

the majority of mecha RPGs are crunchy heavy

Could you picture someone using Savage Worlds to run a Gundam game?

I've played Dragonmech, which is essentially steampunk mechs for 3.X.

It was one of the most fun games I have ever played, not necessarily because of mechs, but because we broke the setting in half.

Battle Century G is a really great mecha system. It somehow manages to satisfy the autism involved in designing a mech while managing to be light and easy to run. It works just about every genre of mecha too.

Played Mekton for one session. GM got pissed off because I remade a CPLT-C2 Catapult from Battle Tech and kept sniping the legs out from under the enemy mechs for long range before they could have a chance to close the distance.

We never played with the system again, but I certainly had fun.

Elaborate?

I'm in the process of designing a mecha RPG, so I've played more mecha than you could shake some sort of mechanical stick at.

So far its getting more fun as we tweak it.

It was a 3.x splatbook that detailed a kind of weird post-apocalyptic setting in which there are a bunch of mechs, either powered via clockwork, magic, or necromancy. It added classes and skills related to mechs (as well as some other stuff, like steam powers, which were actually a pretty cool set of modular machines that you could combine to make basically whatever you could convince the DM would work)

If you are asking to elaborate on how we broke it in half, I am mostly referring to how 3/4 of our team could fight giant mechs on foot easier than we could in giant mechs, and that we basically bypassed one of the central gimmicks of the setting entirely.

Anyone played Giant Guardian Generation or Giant Monster Rampage? Curious as to how those are.

Haven't played GGG, but Battle Century G is the official version of it and it's really good. You can get the SRD for free on the guy's website.

Nope, always wished there was a Pacific rim rpg though.

AdEva is a good way to get lost in your cycles of guilt.

AdEva was a lot of effort to run, but it was refreshing to have an actually serious game for once. Better roleplay than I have seen from my group before or since.

Neat. Thanks

Using Mekton we played about 6 or 7 sessions before we stopped. Not due to the system but do to that circle of friends melting down.

We were mecha jocks that were part of the Mars defence force. - Sort of like Patlabour in the Martian Colony. Shit happened and and these organic armors (unless they were unpiloted) that were led by big Bugsuits.
we used Fuzion for character creation. I took dark secret and was informed that I had rare psychic sensitivity ( Think bargain basement Newtype which might have been part of a military program - but they knew anyway.) I had some slightly better skill rolls but my mech was part of a secret project that used this which I had to hide from the other players/ characters and gave me a higher chance of taking damage when hit.

Used Gamma World 7e (the 4e D&D spin-off edition) and everyone had fun.

Sadly we were only able to do 4 or 5 sessions because of scheduling reasons. I'd like to pick the campaign off, perhaps switching to either a more dedicated mech system or Mutants & Masterminds as tentatively suggested by one of the players.

Give us a quick taste

Played a modified game of Epic/Only War where we were a Princeps Titan Warpack of Warhounds. We each had our own Titan and crew, but we played the princeps of our own vehicle and a different team member of the other Titans.

Was a fun game, but only really worked as a small game.

Less actual RPG, but we've played Battletech campaigns with an improvised pilot XP system

There's a quest running on Mekton and the system looks pretty good jolly fun on it's own.