Gaming Vents:

What Veeky Forums-subject issues do you just need an anonymous outlet to vent about?

I'll start

>Join a play-by-post game
>Really excited about it
>GM bows out
>PC takes over
>PC-turned-GM had developed an IC relationship with another PC
>Game now centers on PC-turned-GM and the husbando PC
>Want to keep playing, but this shit is getting ridiculous because 99% of updates are flirts between those two

>want to get new players for my game
>player who's house we play at is too scared of rapists to let me invite people she doesn't know

I get that it's her place and she's in the right that you can't trust randos, but god damn I just want some new players.

>Joined a game on an invite from a friend
>One of the players is a dick to everyone, really argumentative
>After two sessions, still couldn't tell if his character was a joke character or not, only just recently received confirmation that the character was indeed intended to be the way it is
>Even after having been confronted about being a dick, continued to be a dick to the other players.

I'm probably gonna drop the game, which is unfortunate since half the people in it are friends of mine, it's just this one rando the DM recruited off some gamefinder somewhere that is kinda ruining it for me, and the DM won't kick the problem player on account of "not wanting to exclude anyone."

And it's not just me either. The entire group doesn't like him.

>spend time putting together session
>only one player actually involves themselves in the game, another usually does but this week was tired, and another is completely fucking incapable of doing shit despite me intentionally creating an area and npcs specifically for them to interact with after they complained the previous session
asking the group what they want to do and getting complete fucking silence kills my desire to run this game

>Join game group
>been with the group for two years
>Only one, by gm admission, to ever be constantly on time and ready
>Everyone else is excuses out the ass
>Some times "Why are you playing if life it's this hectic" levels
>Group has always put up with and had to deal with members who are retarded when it comes to scheduling
>Rescheduled game day multiple times to please these members
>Minor bitching on my end but put up with it because it's a great game
>Eventually have to ask if we can reschedule
>Gm "tries" to get the group to vote
>No one does anything
>Am fucked out of the game because of this
>Gm says I can join in if the schedule ever changed to a better day
>not planning on
A week later and I'm still fuming over shit cockery, guess that shows me to try and be a polite gamer.

That fucking sucks, dude.

>Change system
>GM wants to translate chars
>Try my best to translate char taking into account stuff that worked before doesn't work now
>"Shit, user, your character was able to do this minor thing that you almost never used and now he can't, you aren't trying hard, redoo"
>"If I spend every resource ever I might, and just might, be able to do that minor thing I almost never used and in the process literally lose everything that made my character my character and every key abilities"
>"Well, do that, after all this minor thing you never used it is what I think it's important even though I know you never used it"
FUCK YOU!!

>Start campaign at FLGS
>Super lucky—not a That Guy in the group
>Five great players who show up consistently each week
>Totally engaged with the game
>I occasionally have to cancel a session b/c work
>So we move the game to another day so that won't happen
>Everyone can still play, the game goes on
>thumbsup.jpg
>But it's also my senior year of college, in a STEM major
>Homework and senior projects and GREs and grad school aps
>This plus working full time is starting to crush me
>I want to end the campaign so that it's not a distraction
>But I can't do that to my players, they're great
>Player #5 is a new player, just joined a couple months ago, probably best in the bunch
>Falling seriously behind in school
>I don't know how long I can keep up the charade

>too scared of rapists to let me invite people she doesn't know
Is it like a paranoia thing or does she live in a bad area?

I'm beyond mad, just goes to show you that someone can say every nice thing in the world to you and still stab you in the fucking back in the end.

Fuck.

>DM for a group of players including some guys from work and their band mates.
>First five sessions go just fine, always ask if everyone had fun/what they would like to see in the future.
>Include their back stories so they meet NPCs from their past.
>Everything is awesome.

And then I broke the DM's cardinal rule... Never plan more than a game ahead.

>Write out lots of plot. Make sure everyone has a chance to shine...
>Got it just about sorted and then they start to flake one by one.
>The dumbass stoner druid flakes first. Then the barbarian. Then the sorcerer.
>Games start to get cancelled last minute, as I'm driving over to our meeting place.
>I was literally pulling into the driveway when they told me they cancelled it the last time.
>Finally give up.

What kills me is I don't know if they were bored, or what. If they didn't like my DMing, at least tell me so I can either fix it or stop wasting my time.

That was the last time I DMed. I want to get back into it, but I'm gonna run something lighter, possibly for one or two players, and online text-only. I just don't got anymore funny voices in me at the moment.

Fucking this

>Have friends who want to get into RPGs
>They're weebs, so I come up with weeb campaign
>Scheduling gets in the way, so we move the game from in-person to pbp
>I ask that they post at least once a week to keep the game rolling
>"Okay!!!" they say
>Months later, only one player checks in per week
>Other players say they don't have time to log into a website
>See them dicking around on Line and Facebook while complaining about having nothing to do at work
>mfw

>two of my four players are gung fucking ho to play Shadowrun, despite the fact that they already play with their work buddies, the other two just go with the flow so they're useless for determining what we play
>It's been almost a year since we proposed I run it and we've run 1 session
>At this point I fucking hate Shadowrun

Mix between bad past experiences (molesters, bad boyfriends and such) and paranoia, I suppose.

Get your own house...?

I want to. Only thing I can afford right now is a very tiny apartment.

>climbing canyon wall (in enemy giants base or whatever)
>two cave openings writhing reach
> Party chooses one, tells the paladin (Me) to check the other.
> DM says cave is warm, not worried tough ass armor and mad strength, also only PC from start of campaign
>I got this
> Fuckin "small" dragon or some shit out of no where, grabs on to me and flys way the fuck high over actual army of Giants.
>No initiative roll, no reaction just ass rape.
> Try strength check, fucking 20 in str (pathfinder btw)
>Not dick happens.
> No way to break out.
>Dropped into army of Giants and has heroic last stand
>Dies...
>Party loses there muscle and a healer.
>Butthurt intensifies

At this point I begin to bargain with DM to save my PC, 2-3 other players had done the same way earlier in the same campaign.

>Less than 5 rounds after I'm "dead" party comes across magician kobald fucker.
>Wizard uses lighting bolt or some shit
>Kobald goes full Aluh Akbar, and blows up killing 3/4 of the rest of party.
>Party confused
>Party mad
>GM says he had a necklace of fireballs and the wizard should have known better...
>game ends everyone disappointed as a 1-2 year campaign is ground to a halt

Nothing gets me more salty than, YOUR DEAD, traps sprung by GM. Was an ok party with a min max here and an edge lord there but altogether my paladin kept us at least neutral and on track plot wise.

Sounds like the GM just wanted to be done with the campaign... Still, that's kind of a shitty way to go about it.

>Go on roll20
>Join game
>15 other players
>5 show up to the first session including me.
>Total shitfest. The GM didn't plan anything and two players already kill each other's characters.
>Politely tell GM I don't want to participate further
>Go online and binge watch gaming videos.

Jesus... 15? What do you do with 15 goddamn players? Just say "Here's my world, now go! Run amok" and see what happens?

That's fair, starting out kinda sucks.

Long campaigns end like that so many times it hurts.
Last mine was
>About to start 3rd act after 3 years
>We know who the bad guys are but not the real BBEG
>In some cave having a dream secuence with premonitory images
>My character decided to pass because he doesn't believe in destiny
>Thank god I passed because 3 of the BBEG lieutenants appear and if I were inside with them they'd have raped us while we were sleeping
>Scream for help
>In the meantime one of the lieutenants decides to have a 1vs1 against me over some old grudges
>He has a good roll in ini and goes first
>Not much damage but I have to roll against 12 due paralysis
>Piss easy I have 12 Fort
>Nat1
>Fuck
>Now I'm a hostage
>They use me to bargain for the macguffin
>They don't hold to their end of the bargain and attack my friends
>Me still paralized
>Group nat1s everytime
>Enemies nat20s everytime
>GM doesn't know what to do
>When I can act there're already two dead PCs
>Try my best and nova the shit out my resources
>Miss miss miss miss and miss
>Make like 10 attacks that all miss even though I have a 40% chances of hitting each one of them
>3rd PC dies
>Fuck, I'm out of here
>Due having speed 60 I leave enemies behind easily
>GM is pulling his hair because we lost the macguffing and 3/4 of the party
>Game dies

>Oh user, your melee DPR char deals that much damage? that's not fair for the other non DPR chars, look at the poor Wizard, he doesn't deal that much damage, and don't tell me he doesn't use damage spells or anything, that's irrelevant, sorry, I'm removing Power Attack and your other feats it's the fair thing to do. What do you mean you want spells now? why should that be fair?

>my players and I have really hectic schedules because of our jobs and schedules
>I send them messages during the week to settle for a day to play
>I hardly get messages until it's thursday and such which is understandable given my friends have a hard time knowing if they'll be free by then
>except for one fucker that never answers
>he finished his career and he hasn't got a job nor anything, he only parties
>he tends to cancel us the same day because he would rather go to a party
>the other players would prefer to cancel as well since they don't want to continue the story without him
>he never tells us when he has free time to play
>when we confronted him about it, he told us that he doesn't tells us when he's free so that he can go to a party if it comes up
>"i want to fuck girls, man xddd"
>he parties 3 times a week. He's 25 and still a virgin.

I just need one stable player, one more fucking player and I'm kicking him out, but all my suggested players are vetoed by the rest of the party since they don't know them personally.

Its this kind of shit that really puts me off the philosophy that you can't fudge die rolls. While the fear of death is important to keeping tension, sometimes its more important to fudge it for the sake of the game.

Never invite to a game a guy who puts parties and shit like that over a game. We had a guy like that, the fucker even went with the "well, I want to spend my spare time in more important things", then why the fuck did you asked to enter in the game?!

Holy shit, are you autistic? They were subtly kicking you and didn't want to admit they were doing so.

He used to be a good player at first, he got really excited with the adventures and shit, but he suddenly got like this once we began playing a modern mystery campaign that's slower than your average fantasy campaign.

Which annoys me the most, is that we all do some huge sacrifices to play: One of my players is a doctor, another one lives in another city and the other one works to support his family. They all sacrifice their scarce free time to play, and this guy doesn't give a fuck about it.

>Party slaughter while losing the macguffin
Sounds like a perfect setup for 'Part 2: After The Bad Guys Fucked Everything Up' or something, wasted potential.

Not really, premonitory dreams were:
>You're the chosen one and a half celestial
>You're the chosen one and a half fiend
>You're the chosen and who cares
So the chosen ones died like bitches the moment they stepped out the cave, GM didn't expect that it seems

Honestly, if it's that abd where the rest of the group hates him, talk to them individually and try to get as many as you can into "It's us or him" situation.

Ideally get the whole group behind it. Bit of a dick move to the DM, but if one guy is really ruining it for everyone that badly....

>A world in which the 'chosen ones' couldn't do jack shit, the divine visions are lies, and now that evil reigns it's up to no-name nobodies to save the day
The unexpected is what roleplaying games are all about.

I've heard of people who had rando players, who would up stealing jewelry.

Just play somewhere else for a few sessions until she feels okay letting them into her place. You could even just go out for dinner and/or drinks with your new players to determine if they're the sort of people you could a) enjoy spending an evening with, or b) let into your home.

Molesters? What the fuck happened there?

>no name nobodies
Hey, my char is still alive... But that definition still fits, my char was the least Mary Sue of the group and avoided every shift t like that if possible

>Join Play by Post M&M villain game
>Setting pretty good
>evil campaign where everyone agreed not to be Chaotic Retarded dickbags(mostly)
>Make a superspeedster called Quick Fix. Supersmart tech guy, costume is bright colors with hot rod flame decals on it
>This is to throw off that he doesn't have super speed, he actually has time manipulation powers and just masquerades as a speedster.
>Game starts when someone blows up half of a Starbucks trying to rob it
>Get into fight with supercops, me and an actual speedster taking the fight literally all over the city
>Everyone's having some fun fight with super-police. Some lose and get captured, others win and help break out the others
>We eventually get pulled out of their by some secret organization
>Basically getting railroaded into saving the world from a time-travelling dictator
>Sure, ok, we can do it in dirty, underhanded ways, this can still be fun
>Get onto a plane, DM wants us to roleplay with each other
>We spend about a month of real-time going back and forth with roleplay
>DM wants to us to roleplay amongst ourselves more while waiting for the plane to reach it's destination
>We spend another week or two roleplaying, basically telling each other everything about ourselves short of our social security numbers and bank account details
>DM suddenly vanishes, game dies.

Almost a year ago and it still makes me mad. Game was fucking great till we got to the plane.

Shit*

Gatsu, is that you?

>Ask some friends if they want to play in a PbP game
>Ask if they could check in once every two-three days
>They all agree, nearly everyone has a free 15 minutes a day to make a post
>Get game set up on roll20, using the web application for world info, maps, and character sheets and the forum for actually playing
>Only one person makes a character
>Everyone else is too busy

Fuck me. Worse yet, I'm thinking of attempting it again (but with a different group). Just gotta figure out a good system for a Ryuutama but in space game.

>think my defense sucks for a melee role
>tell my GM I'm going to grab some stuff to increase my defense
>he says there's no need, that picking the best stuff is a dick move
>disagree about that isn't needed
>die before Rea hung next level because oh gee my defense actually sucked
And the GM still had the balls to tell me he wasn't going to let me pick the stuff to increase my defense

Shit man, I know that feel.

>DM for group to give usual DM a break
>All but one person makes interesting characters
>PCs have actual goals for me to plan around
>Usual DM gets bored because his character doesn't mesh with the party
>Dips out
>the 4 original members of the group cancel the game, leaving me and two other friends out
>they do this behind my back instead of talking to me like adults
>Are surprised when I'm reluctant to join any other games they play

I'd be okay if they said my DM style was wack or something, but they still talk about the game like they had fun. I wanna DM something in the future, but I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it.

Most of this is PnP related, but I played 40k for the first time since 5th a little while ago.

I have never seen so many 1s in my life. I wanted to throw everything against the wall and never play again. It was so unbelievably frustrating. Meanwhile, my opponent is rolling like a God.

Ask someone to try and take over, man. If they can't, keep it running.

I used to get angry at my rolls, then decide to write down my rolls and make an excel to see the average, after 2000+ rolls turned out my two d20 have average rolls below 10.5, so I bought better ones. So far so good.

I might have to get new ones because they were sitting for so long, but I also used my opponents dice for a turn and still got fucked.

>not a Star Wars fan
>not a d20 fan
>get asked by group of Star Wars fans to run a Star Wars d20 game
>do it because I'm an idiot

Every plot thread I've tried to come up with stinks of KotOR II because I'm an edgy 40kid, and now my players are investigating their way through a Czerka plot involving Anzat hybrids and installing a set of Hutt puppet-crime lords. Had an argument between players over whether or not to shoot a Czerka agent or drop him naked in Tatooine's Dune Sea last session. This doesn't feel like Star Wars anymore.

>PF
>splitting the party
>thinking armor and strength will protect you from energy damage
You poor child

Take this from another STEM major. If your players are awesome, they'll understand that you need time to take care of your grades and future. If they don't understand, then they aren't as good of friends as you thought they were.

If only you had known...

>It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
>Crashing this plane with no survivors

Had a shit session last time. Players just weren't interested in much that you couldn't stick an axe in, and had immense trouble memorizing a sub20-page homebrew made for literal retards.

Two of my players (and close family) are always late, sometimes an hour and a half late while the rest of us sit there with thumbs up our asses.
One of my players values, loosely defined, dancing lessons higher than the game that everyone else agrees to and wastes precious free time.

We play once a week or less.
God I wish I could buy/rent good IRL players or something.

Know how to spot a bad GM?
See how he handles a party split.

What are the tell tale signs of a bad GM in those situations?

>he says there's no need, that picking the best stuff is a dick move
I totally get not wanting to start an optimisation-race at the table, but this kind of shit is just ridiculous

>being this OCD & analysis retentive

A good GM always punishes a party split.

Most of the time you don't even need to punish a party split. Adventuring parties exist because adventuring alone is fucking dangerous

The only games I can get right now are DnD, and I don't even like DnD. It's pretty minor but aaauurrrrgh.

Does a good chunk of the session consist of sitting there, bored out of your mind, unable to participate because the GM hasn't gotten around to your character yet?

A good GM will juggle both narratives, tying them together in an interesting way and keeping both sides invested. A bad GM, like a bad juggler, will drop one group while they try to handle the other.

>Adventuring parties exist because adventuring alone is fucking dangerous

This. No matter how badass you think you are, you're just one bad roll away from falling to a ghoul's hug or a viper's poison. With some strong trustworthy buddies, your chance to survive increases a lot.

I WANT A DRUID ARCHETYPE THAT GETS AT-WILL WILDSHAPE FROM THE WIZARD'S FAMILIAR LIST FOR CHRISTMAS PLEASE

for christmas i want a friend that loves me

Not necessarily. Punishing the party split is more of a preventative measure. Telling multiple narratives at once while keeping all participants invested is extremely difficult, so punishing the party split is done to discourage future instances of it.

I mean, think of it this way. Dealing with a party split is like being asked to juggle. It looks damn impressive if you can do it, but if you fumble those juggling balls everywhere you're going to look like an idiot and end up with a disappointed audience.

So instead you pelt the audience with juggling balls as hard as you can and shout "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MAKE ME JUGGLE!"

Now I make it sound like this is a terrible way to handle it and indeed if the party gets TPKd the moment they split up it is, but with a little more subtlety the GM can drill it into their heads that they're better off sticking together without outright murdering everybody. For instance, having character A deal with a difficult fight that character B could have dealt with with ease, while character B tries to overcome an obstruction that character A's abilities would have easily bypassed.

I resemble this story.

>Friends have never played D&D before, interested in trying it out.
>I agree to DM Pathfinder, as the only person with experience.
>Players invite a couple more people I didn't know.
>Fine with it, they're all cool folks.
>Walk them all through character creation, start off a session, the party gets caught up in underworld shenanigans and bands together to help each other escape.
>Start drawing from their backstories, tying elements into an overall plot and personal journeys for the characters.
>Game goes on for about a year, 3 party members have become the "driving force" for the party, the rest are more or less along for the ride.
>This is their choice, mind you, not something I forced on them.
>One of the core players has to drop because he's going abroad to teach for a few years.
>Alright, that's fine; I've planned ways that a few of the characters can drop if necessary.
>I'm also taking a month to study abroad, so I suggest using this as a natural intermission and suggest some other games for them to try out as a downtime game while I'm gone, and to keep on the back burner as an option in case we can't do the main game.
>Their game is still going when I get back, so I join in.
>Second core player seems enthusiastic at first, creates a character he loves playing who ends up being just as important to the second game's plot.
>Gradually becomes less attentive during games, playing Binding of Isaac during sessions, flaking on game nights more often than usual due to "not feeling it."
>Stops showing up altogether.
>Can't progress without him.
>Still gets excited about both of his characters and talks about how he misses playing them on Facebook.
>We're all confused because he's never expressed any objections to the games or given any concrete reason for quitting.
>Never leaves his house except when he's invited to parties, never hosts events despite frequently buying new games and talking about how hyped he is to them.
>???

Dude, that sounds like depression. Find out what's going on in his life. He needs some friends to drag him away from that. It's easy to get sucked in to staying home alone all the time and never leaving.

jesus bro

>"Hey guys, how about I have a go as GM with a different system for a change?"
>Minimal response
>Instead all play Pathfinder with ForeverGm

>Finally get them to try something new and I get to try GMing
>ForeverGM acting as player for probably first time ever
>Proceeds to be as big a prick as possible and attempts to derail constantly

>Finally have enough (out of game) bullshit
>Cut off all contact
>Been without a game a very long time

Sucks because tabletops are probably my favorite hobby but considering I miss the games more than the people I hung out with I know I made the right choice.

Not splitting the party is for min maxing number crunchers, with little interest in story telling. And I spent the whole beginning of the game walking through doors first "Becouse you will survive" "your the paladin" "you can just heal yourself" and not a whole lot you can say when the party asks you to check because of previously stated reasons and to cover all the squishes from ambush
And the GM was really bummed after we stopped, even said on several occasions afterwards that I was one of the few people who he never had to worry about fucking the game up with shinaniguns (rouge stealing shit to often, and from party members to be an edge lord,and gimmick grapple monk who guess what only grappled shit and never did dick outside of combat, to name a few)

This

Yeah, that's about what most of us figured. A lot of this followed a rather nasty breakup between him and another player (she left the group on otherwise amiable terms) and he's always been prone to depressive behavior.

We've made a number of attempts to bring him along to other events since then, but he's been pretty flaky about attendance. That's made it hard for any of us to help, especially since a lot of us have started to hit points in our lives where we're getting responsibilities piling up and a shortage of cash to go out and do things often. It's a pretty rotten situation for all involved.

I guess the Butthurt has not subsided over the years, I just think splitting the party within a dungeon/encounter isn't the same as the wizard taking sessions off to make fuckton of items and conquer a city while the party is pushing the actual plot.

>a relatively long running campaign I'm GMing
>there have been a few issues early on, but whatever, one player left but everyone else is having fun
>people are starting to have scheduling issues, but whatever, I change a few things around so we can finish the campaign for once
>the last session never happens because I wanted everyone to be there for the finale

> last year
> DM of our six-man Pathfinder game is out of the country for most October
> I offer to run something else instead
> since it's October, I pitch a four-part Call of Cthulhu mini-campaign timed so that the last session is the night of the 31st
> everybody is onboard
> PF DM's flight is delayed so he gets to play in the first session
> two guys can't make it to first session because they're working late
> second session, one guy is working late again, second guy is radio silent
> third session, first guy is radio silent, second guy shows up an hour late
> second guy mentions offhandedly that he's joined a Pathfinder Society group that plays on our regular game day every other week
> second guy leaves halfway through the session
> last session, same two guys don't show up and don't even bother to give me an excuse

Well fuck you too, I guess

This.

Yet more proof that open rolling is shit.

Who'd have thought?

That kind of GM is the worst. Absolute garbage

My old group from a while ago were massive dicks about every new character Inintroduced. If I brought in any npc who had more personality than a stick or Who was not totally subservient to the party and their whims then they immediately accused me of making "another dmpc", and then immediately began plotting their demise. Admittedly they didnt follow through on their threats often but it was pissing annoying to have an npc, whom I had intended as someone interesting they could interact with for session after session, immediately written off, and all those interesting plotlines immediately reduced to "this person took more than 15 seconds to design, therefore they need to die".

>ForeverGM acting as player for probably first time ever
>Proceeds to be as big a prick as possible and attempts to derail constantly
That sounds like he was browsing Veeky Forums. Lots of GMs confess that they suck as players and actively shit on any other GM attempting to run a game, when they are players in it.

I will never understand why they do it though.

As a DM, it can feel disempowering and even painful to watch someone do things the 'wrong' way, to the point where you want to force them to stop. Many DMs are used to dictating the game world, so sometimes it's hard to stop.
My advice to people who deal with this:
Play as often as you can, so that your default brain setting for a game doesn't switch to possessive.
When you do play for the first time in a while, sit down and contain your autism- ask yourself how someone else corrected you like you're planning on correcting this guy, and how you reacted to it.

Christ this current generation is a bunch of soft cunts for believing this tripe. Sometimes you lose. TPK happens, you fucking roll with it instead of wanting to cheat and casualize everything. How many participation ribbons did you "earn" while growing up?

It is possible. When I was in college, I was in a fairly large gaming group that focused on tabletop games, and every year, we'd have a "guild-wide" game where anyone and everyone could join in. These games would usually have around 20 players split into several groups, each with a separate GM. It took a lot of communication between players and GMs to make everything cohesive, but they were good games.

>get into """D&D""" in high school
>by that I mean GM has us briefly describe our characters and has basically everything determined by a single dice roll. Nothing much more than that since she doesn't want to deal with skills.
>disappointed, but this is literally the only opportunity to play anywhere nearby at the time so I roll with it
>girl who invited me to the group eats it all up because she's afraid of anything more in depth and laps up anything that comes out of GM's mouth
>should also mention GM is a girl and best friends with other girl
>offhandly mention one time at an unrelated hangout with girl who invited me that I wish our gane was a little more in depth
>she gets super fucking pissed and says how dare I for disrespecting GM and she walks out mad as fuck
>lol okay whatever
>not invited back to a session
>pretty sure half of the players there weren't at the next sessions anyway
>honestly not even sure if there was a next session, wasn't like there was a story or anything
LOL WOMEN RIGHT?
fuck me...

>new edition of a game I ran in college coming out soon, revives good memories.
>scrape together a group online with the intention to switch to the new rules when they are released.
>want to run low power game using old rules, players all want high power game using transition rules.
>run module I have always wanted to run, set in a real city I have never been to.
>the three good players are from that city and correct my mistakes in private.
>one player cheats and only cares about winning, game was pitxhed as social-heavy.
>one bad player drives out a good player, but the rest of the group asks me not to kick him.
>get convinced, think I can endure it and salvage the game.
>a year passes. Lots of good story from player interaction, lots of bad player sitting things up.
>change job, compromise on new schedule. Struggle with game schedule.
>find out all the players are better, more successful people than me.
>new edition comes out, planning on switching to new version and finally kicking bad player.
>bad player makes me furious during a session that ran 3 hours over time.
>put game on hold, read new rules. Can't make sense of them.
>realize I just wanted a game with friends, like the original game in college.
>realize I can't wing it anymore.
>haven't talked to group in a year.
>wonder if they would still want to continue.
>tbeyowowoohebgamehi

What game was it?

nWoD Mage.

If my players are reading this, please know that I'm sorry it turned out this way.

Very few GMs can hiden rolls well
I caught some on a fib helping enemies so many times

>I caught DMs fudging
And?
Good DMs fudge for player enjoyment.
And before you saynit, no, not for easy mode.

It was optimization (anything that lets you survive in games is optimization), sure, but it wasn't outside my character's possibilities to get those benefits neither it was blatantly powergaming. Also it was pretty need as proven by the game, enemies were hitting me with more than a 50% chance, and the moment we faced something slightly above our normal, boom, brutalized in 1 turn with 6 attacks that all hit.

>Very few GMs can hide rolls well
There are as many good GMs as there are good players, proportionally speaking.

Thought it's been my experience that it helps when I don't walk out on GMs that tell me explicitly that they will be hiding rolls/rolling behind the GM screen, to find good GMs who fudge rolls.

Of course, most good GMs can hide rolls well and make the players feel genuinely challenged by the encounters that they face, if said encounter is supposed to be hard of course.

Open rolling is good for oneshots, or high-lethality games. Any game where the players don't have to waste half an hour coming up with a new character concept and another half hour to make a character sheet. Where they don't have to feel invested in their character, where death is a regular occurrence that doesn't have much emotional impact.

Some people like that, and that's fine. Others prefer deeper, more meaningful games.

>Playing Anima
>Enemy is butchering us but we are still alive
>Spend a couple of turns studying him, all possible stamina, all possible ki, using a feature that increses both my crits and crit fails but spending resource I can repeat the roll, everything I got to make the best hit I can while hidding plus behind him (maluses to his defense)
>Roll several open rolls (basially if you roll 91+ on d100 you roll again and add that to the overall roll, you keep doing this as long as you keep rolling 92+ on the second roll, 93+ on the third, 94+ on the fourth and so on)
>Total on the roll around 450+, plus my static bonuses to hit, highest roll we ever saw in the game, rolled d100 like 6 times
>Other players are cheering like crazy
>GM is stunned at the vision of what just happened
>GM "Ok..."
>DM rolls to defend
>Rolls one die...1 die
>He has two d10 (to simulate d100) but he rolls only one
>Pause
>Rest of the players have a wtf? face
>GM "He parries your attack and gets a counter attack"
>"No?" face on every player on the table
>Counter attack is when you surpass attacker's roll by a certain number
>Me with double wtf? face "how?..."
>GM "Roll defense"
>Me "How?"
>GM "Just roll defense"
>Roll: 67 plus static bonus of 150 = 217
>He still has maluses because I'm hidden and he didn't even roll perception
>GM "He hits you"
>Literally nobody in the table believe that bs because he had to roll above my 450+217+50 with only 1d10
>My character is beheaded, that means he actually rolled above 1000+ with one d10 even assuming he has the max static attack bonus in the game
For player enjoyment, sure. And this is just one of the many situations that make me distrust GMs who fudge rolls

In fact, game has tables to determine difference between attack and defense and stuff like that, the number he rolled doesn't even exist in there

I didn't return for the next session, and later heard nether did the rest of the players for the session after the one I skipped

It would be a fucking shame if your players hate that sort of thing though.

Like that one time I figured that my GM wouldn't let my character have anything bad happen to him, resulting in me getting unfathomably bored with the game.

>Implying all fudging means no harm
Fuck this meme.
You had a bad DM who fudged and made you bored.
Not all fudging means going easy on players for fucks sake.

Anima actually uses formulae to work out damage stuff, they just only appear in Core Exxet and Arcana Exxet. They give the table when you work them out for that range.

>implying the alternative is good
May I direct you to this good user?

>Here's an example of a bad DM
>Therefore the GM tool of fudging is inherently wrong
Sure.

Not the guy you're replying to but man, that GM sucked.

He would've sucked even more with open rolling, but I can tell you right now that even if that did really happen, he was a shit GM.

Good GMs who fudge the dice wouldn't automatically kill your character like that.
Hell, most GMs would probably allow you to kill the main villain in one with with a roll like that.

By the way, the probability of you having that roll is 0,00001512% which makes me wonder if what you described really happened.

Not the guy you are replying to but
>Like that one time I figured that my GM wouldn't let my character have anything bad happen to him
This is bad GMing. The GM is using a tool that should make the game more enjoyable, making it shittier instead.

A good GM would fudge dice in a situation where the game actually benefits from it.

>0,00001512%
What roll? his? there wasn't a roll, he rolled 1d10 just to make us believe he actually rolled, he just came up with "no, this is a counter attack so high it's going to kill you" with no rolls involved.

Again, he had to roll several times, first has to be 91+, if he rolls that he rolls once more, if he rolls in that second roll 92+, he rolls once more, rinse and repeat. He rolled just once.

I rolled like 5 times, I had to use a calculator to add up every bonus, roll, and everything, He did it on the fly in 1 second, and he isn't a human calculator, I saw him struggle when paying his part of the dinner.

There was no chance, he just said no and rolled a die to fool us, he didn't even do that well. I don't like rolling behind the screen since then, it won't make me bail out from a game but I'll spend time distrusting the rolls and that removes part of the enjoyment on the game. It's sad, I know, but bad experiences do that.

Btw, that Anima story wasn't the only one of "fudging for fun" I have.

What are you doing acting as if roleplaying games are somehow a challenge to be overcome? They're entertainment. "Winning" the campaign isn't actually an accomplishment, despite what you might like to think. Don't act as if you're older than the average poster, either. It makes you look like a sad cunt.

>What roll?
Your roll for exploding dice. That's a 0,00001512% probability of happening. 1 in 15.120.000

> I don't like rolling behind the screen since then, it won't make me bail out from a game but I'll spend time distrusting the rolls and that removes part of the enjoyment on the game.
Well, you had a shit GM who abused fudging rolls to railroad your character's death.

That sucks, I agree.

And if you would rather have your character get stabbed to death by a first level half-orc who got a lucky crit on your level 3 wizard, then that's fine by me.