/scg/ - Scion General

Blood for the blood gods edition

Scion 2e is now on Kickstarter: kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg

Scion is an urban fantasy game about the adventures of the children and chosen of the old gods. You can read a a preview of the book here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view

Greco-Roman Pantheon preview: drive.google.com/file/d/0B01LwCGSbE8kZmtQNHJjd3cyRkE/view?usp=sharing

Topic of the Thread: What pantheon do you least like? Is there one which you've changed your stance on one way or another over the years, regardless of it being in Scion or just as a consumer of culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

beastsofwar.com/onyx-path-publishing/preview-storypath-system/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To be honest...I like the Tuatha, they just seemed like the least dickish and bloodthirsty of them all and they honestly seemed to care about their scions. To the second part I haven't changed my stance on it, Tuatha, in my mind, is best pantheon.

Bump as I go to bed. Please still be here when I get up /scg/

I don't care for the Asian Pantheons because I know nothing about them, but I'm sure they'rr cool enough.

>tfw Egyptaboo

Agreed. They're like less edgy Aesir with just as much War and like triple the Water. Only thing rough is the convoluted family tree since they're like an amalgamation of four pantheons and incest was a popular thing with them.

Don't forget that they keep dying and coming back to life like it is no big deal. It's like the have no respect for an afterlife.

I thought I'd hate the Tuatha because I knew nothing about them and don't have much of a love for anything "Celtic." But they turned out to be pretty awesome and I'm happy one of the core characters in 2e is a Scion of the Dagda.

And one of the bookish aspects of the god, not stereotypical biker #934

>Dagda is a kindly father in Scion
>Dagda is an omnicidal asshole in SMT

who do i believe

He can be both. In Scion 1e, he was described as a food and fun-loving biker figure. But Gods have many aspects and can wear many masks.

That's because unlike the other wrecked pantheons, the Irish and Welsh have an operational afterlife. Gwyn ap Nudd being Nuada's son really paid off after the Titan breakout. If the Aesir weren't so bent out of shape by their autistic insistence that Ragnarok was actually going to happen, they'd have retaken Vanaheim and had the same fallback option for themselves.

I wonder if they're going to keep that same backstory...that the Titans reappear and destroy the various afterlives.

Thirding this, the Tuatha being arguably the least dysfunctional pantheon made them an easy favorite for me. I'm also kind of an Eireboo though, so take that for what it's worth.

I also ended up unexpectedly liking the Loa a lot. I've often ended up playing pretty low-key characters, especially in modern settings, so their humble background felt like a very natural roleplaying point for me. Beyond that, I just really liked their PSP.

>Netjer PSP is just the Egyptian word for magic

for what purpose

1E? Given that the Aesir PSP changed, is it possible other Pantheons have changed too? Have we seen anything on the PSPs of other Pantheons?

It depends. Are you part of his family, or part of an enemy group?

The Aesir have a fucked up family tree too, they're descended from Aesir, Vanir, and Jotnar. And they fuck Aesir, Vanir, Jotnar, animals, humans, and probably elves and trolls too.

What's wrong with the Duat?

Nope. It's confirmed that the titans aren't the big bads and some pantheons get along well with them, including (explicitly) the Egyptians.

>Nope. It's confirmed that the titans aren't the big bads and some pantheons get along well with them, including (explicitly) the Egyptians.

Interesting. I suppose they're trying to refocus the antagonists to mostly be gods/agents of gods, then.

Well, the Titans will still be a supply of antagonists. Sticking with the Egyptians, the Aten might be cool enough, but nobody's cool with Apophis. Well, maybe Set, but fuck Set.

or the Aten's lil cuck boys in the way of Monotheistic cults that wanna fatebind all the gods into God

It would give things like the fomorians more of a role in things as prime agitators instead of being mindless spawn of primal powers. For all intents and purposes, Titanspawn and Scions ought to have been basically the same thing and treated the same, but it never seemed to leave the impression Titanspawn were more than just beasts of instinct doing beastly things just to fuck the World over. Making these guys powers in their own right means they'll be like the Scion version of Black Spiral Dancers, mirror images of themselves serving powers that rival the Gods and have agendas of their own apart from "muh revenge", though that plays into it as well for many of them. It also still leaves open the possibility of Scions of Gods corrupted into serving other powers, like what happened with Kane and Seth (and to an extent Sly and Victor) in the Shinsengumi in 1ED, because those other powers are basically Gods themselves with all the potential perks befitting. It's one thing to be promised power by the mouthpiece of a faceless entity representing some primal force, and another to be promised power by someone with a face that has power itself to bestow on you for your loyalty or service, who won't end up trashing everything at the end just because of reasons or nature.

Very disappointed in OPP.

The fans asked for a game.

They promised to create that game.

They then waited three years to start

They then held the core rules of the game people DID ask for ransom until the fanbase bought a game nobody asked them to make.

Bad form.

That argument was last thread, user. We need to come up with a new one for this thread.

Actually, plenty of people asked for pre-Hero rules and rules for non-human characters.

Maybe he missed it and is a sadboi now.

Oh well, any suggestions on books to read about the Tuatha De Dannan?

In case you're around, any suggestions for learning about the Irish cunts?

You know, it occurs to me that offhand, I don't know much about Irish literature specifically concerning the gods. Most of the stories I'm aware of are about mortal or semi-divine heroes.

The most famous one would be the Cattle Raid of Cooley, which is about our favorite cool dude Cu Chulainn. It's the main source of information the Morrigan, as well as a few other Tuatha, afaik, even though its main focus is on a mortal war. It's part of the Ulster Cycle, which is followed by the Fenian Cycle, another set of the better-known myths.

A quick search suggests that the Mythological Cycle is what you'd want to look at for the stuff about the gods themselves. It sounds like a cop-out, but the best starting place is probably the Mythological Cycle and Tuatha De Danann Wikipedia pages.

As a splat-book maybe, not as a barrier-to-entry for all other levels of play, priced like a core book.

If the core rules weren't being held hostage in Origins, I'd be excited about it too, but they're trying to pretend it's the "new core book."

Can you honestly tell me you're MORE excited to play Origins than you are to play Scion... if you can't honestly say yes, it shouldn't be THE core book.

Did they fix the problem between then and now?

IT still looks like they are trying to pass off somebody's vanity pet-project splat as a game so fundemental to the archetypal experience of a decade-old game as to be the game players are most likely to want to play independently of the others.

I think that the core rules should be the lowest level of play, yes. I would prefer the core rules be in the book for level 1 play. Saying that Origins is NOT playing Scion is also a fallacy. It is playing Scion. You are still a Scion. It is your Origins as a Scion. It's a barrier to entry only insofar as Hero as the corebook would be a barrier to entry to play Demigod level. Saying that the core rules are being "held hostage" just comes off as childish whining, and doesn't serve to make anyone agree with you.

The only concern I have is that with Origins having the bulk of character creation and setting that Hero will just be a list of powers and pantheons, the second of which is already really easy to homebrew.

It doesn't matter whether players are "most likely to want to play independently of the others". Origins is the level most capable of standing on it's own.

I always try to avoid wiki because, well, my school really fucking drilled it into my head, "Wikipedia isn't a good source of anything."

I mean, I agree with him, it is kind of a shitty thing to happen.

Your school is actually pretty wrong. Wikipedia has better accuracy than Britannica for most things, and more than that you don't use it as a primary source, you use it to find sources.
Also you're not doing a report, you're playing dicegames.

It's less than ideal, but to keep portraying it as evil is ridiculous.

>It's less than ideal, but to keep portraying it as evil is ridiculous.
I'm "that guy" and I'm not trying to "portray it as evil." I'm rightly describing a dick move that should cost a company patronage, and not be rewarded. Also, if the original... and game design in general... is any indication, the earliest tiers are inevitably going to be the closest to being balanced for actual play. For example, original Hero was an amazingly balanced and strong game when taken in a vacuum before the bump to demigod, and even D&D mostly works until 7th level The fact that this sweet-spot is going to be a tier where you don't even get to play a Scion is dissatisfying.

Look, if when they released Exalted 3, they arbitrarily decided "Terresterial Exalted is now the core rulebook, and Exalted: Solars is now a splat-book" the fanbase would have flipped their shit and not supported it. Why is the rest of the scion fanbase just dropping trou and spreading cheeks?

desu senpai I'd have been down for that happening, Solars are gay double niggers. But still I get your point, it's shitty.

I forgot about those fucking filters, god dammit.

It's not really even a dick move (which is really just quibbling that amounts to "portraying it as evil", considering that "dick move" implies an intentional malicious act).
Also, D&D *doesn't* actually work well at level 1, so that's a bad example. And Hero was not all that balanced in 1e, even without the boost to Demigod.

I'm also pretty sure no one would have minded if Exalted got a different corebook than the Solars. In fact, with the scheme of Exalted, having a corebook for creating normal characters in the world that you then apply the specific Exalted template to using a second rulebook would be more advisable than making Solars the corebook. In fact, I reckon a great many Exalted players--especially those who don't like Solars to begin with--would prefer a corebook that gives the character creation and setting in a way that doesn't focus around a character type they aren't interested in. Which really makes it a bad example for comparing to Scion.

Look, I get your complaints, I really do. You don't want to have to buy the book for "not playing Scions". But I'm trying to explain to you that looking at it that way is already starting from a false assumption. Origins is literally about the origin of your character. Nevermind that, ideally, I won't need Hero or Demigod to play a God game.

And saying that people who aren't outraged are just bending over to get fucked is, again, fucking childish.

As somebody who has stayed out of this pathetic excuse for a debate until now, there is no "problem" to fix. There is a different approach being taken to content division than in 1e, prompted by the addition of rules for how to play out what was simply a part of your backstory in 1e, and there is a handful of anons attempting to paint this as a malicious cash grab with increasingly ridiculous metaphors, while another handful of anons attempts to explain the (quite reasonable) rationale behind the decision.

The fact remains that Origin is not a "splat," and continuing to repeat this will not make it true. Playing as mortals who quickly grow into supernatural beings was a popular game concept in 1e Scion and in other White Wolf games, and because there was significant demand for it, they provided official rules. Placing character creation rules alongside the expected starting point for new characters makes perfect sense for the majority who either wanted to start there or have no preference, and separating character creation from game mechanics would be an objectively awful decision--unlike your complaint, which is subjectively awful.

If you choose to see listening to the more outspoken fans as holding content "hostage," that's your prerogative. But none of the devs are going to read this thread and say "Gee, we should change our whole design philosophy because a couple of people who were going to pirate it anyway decided to complain," so I fail to see any point in continuing to prattle on about your pet issue.

>not sidereals
I just want my fate weaving kung fu prophets sometime before 2025, you know?

You ask for to much user, I'm sorry.

Fuck the devs for adding in new types of exalted before giving us the originals first. Nothing wrong with new until it blocks other products we won't be seeing till we're old men at this rate.

>rules for how to play out what was simply a part of your backstory in 1e

>The fact remains that Origin is not a "splat"

That's the thing; in 1e, this stuff WOULD have been a splat, and for people who wanted 2e to simply be 1e with fixed mechanics, the choice to shift Scion's core experience backwards into this prologue stuff is as grating as if the only class in the phb of the next edition of dnd was Peasant. I'm not saying it's a malicious choice, but it's an infuriating one, and people are allowed to be upset about it.

user do us all a favor and learn about the hide post function.

>people are allowed to be upset about it.
It's not about what people are ALLOWED to feel. It's the fact that we're all annoyed at hearing asinine metaphors like
>its as grating as if the only class in the phb of the next edition of dnd was Peasan

You're school's a dumbass. So far there's exactly one thing I've found where it's a terrible source, and that's theology. There, you're better off with the New Advent encyclopedia, which is maintained by catholics, but is still way more objective even in its coverage of heresy than wikipedia.
But in things actually related to my academic study, which is ecology, Wikipedia is very good for general-knowledge level stuff

Brittanica is also shit. If you want a decent print encyclopedia that's not specific to a particular academic discipline, you need to look in languages other than English.

I agree that wikipedia is an excellent source of sources.

At least they're trying to explain what they don't like, and not sitting smugly and saying, "Obviously you're dumb children who think that everything they don't like is evil and are incapable of understanding what OPP is doing."

It's not a false assumption to say that trying to make Origins the core book is a very strange choice, because it takes the unique parts of Scion -the fact that you are chosen children of gods, the Boons and Purviews, and that you are part of the rising action of Fate, destined for a death worthy of a saga or to become a god yourself- and either removes it entirely or cranks it way down, leaving Origins a generic "all myths are true" urban fantasy.

I can see why OPP did it, but just as they won't change their design philosophy because of what's said on an Welsh sheepfucking image board, other anons are still free to use said board to talk about the thread's topic and things they like and dislike. It's not 'prattling on about a pet issue', and saying that is incredibly condescending and a dick move (which, to explain the difference between dick moves and evil- the former doesn't have to be done with malicious aforethought, just with sublime confidence that you are correct and everyone who disagrees is wrong and frankly less smart than you otherwise they'd fall in line, and so you're going to do whatever you want and those losers can deal with it).

No one is sitting smugly. People have repeatedly explained it. If you're incapable of understanding what OPP is doing, it's because you're unable to read all of the people explaining it. Also, if you call it evil or say that it's a dick move or that it "doesn't deserve patronage" or that anyone who accepts it is just dropping trou and bending over... yes, you're being childish.

>other anons are still free to use said board to talk about the thread's topic and things they like and dislike
And I'm still free to tell you to shut the fuck up because we're tired of hearing it.

The Cult of White Wolf strikes again, I see. Real shame to see people get shouted down again.

Anyways, Neall's new preview of some PSPs was neat. Was it always possible to be the Scion of two gods as parents, or is that new for this edition?

I wonder if the split corebook was developed as a backup plan for the case of Dracula pulling WoD licenses from them.

Scion has nothing to do with WoD licenses.

Scion has nothing to do with White Wolf. And for fucks sake stop acting like anyone who says "your complaints are really overblown" is somehow a fucking cultist.

What is with this Goddamned cultural notion that anyone who isn't as mad as you must secretly be in on it?

Always possible, technically. They mention it in 1e's Companion, I believe. Some Gods by their very nature wouldn't cheat on their divine spouses.

Nah, 1e had those as hand-wavey "adopted" kids.

>get shouted down
>>>/twitter/
Other people disagreeing with you is not an imposition on your free speech, and even if you're shown to be demonstrably wrong, you're still free to keep sharing your bullshit.

It also doesn't count as shouted down because it's just one faggot who cannot comprehend how people can understand why OPP is doing something and still not like it, so he just attacks around the issue by insulting the multiple people who have tried to explain why to him and tells them to shut up because it's hurting his feefees.

>Scion has nothing to do with White Wolf.

It's a White Wolf property that was bought by a company formed mainly to support and continue White Wolf products when CCP would not. It's White Wolf in spirit, if not necessarily in name. Like many of its kind, The Cult of White Wolf doesn't die with its patron does.

I remember the adopted Scions from the core. As handwavy as they were, I always liked that kind of origin the best. I'm glad there's more support for it in 2e.

So does anyone here have experience with the Storypath system from other games? I'm a little curious because having the target number be 8 seems like it'd make it a kinda to succed at most things that require more than one success unless you have a really big dice pool.

Though it's very possible I'm missing something obvious, I've only skimmed the preview thus far.

Storypath is their new system. I'm pretty sure Scion is the first game that's going to use it. Here's a preview if you want to read the basic system.
beastsofwar.com/onyx-path-publishing/preview-storypath-system/

As for the 8, it used to be 7, and decently sized dicepools and low numbers of successes required meant that it worked out. I don't know why they bumped it up by 1.

Fail Forward is in (if you fail, you seldom fail outright), plus you're supposed to use Enchancements.

ah thanks, I knew it was new didn't know it was that new though, thought Beast or something might have used it already.

I did see something about Enchantments that get you free successes as long as you get at least one from your roll too, and I rember in 1e having Epic Attributes gave you free successes too, so I doubt it'll actually be much of an issue for Scion

I think they bumped it up because they're planning on using lower target numbers for the higher tiers (Demigods succeed on a 7, Gods succeed on a 6). Back in the alpha, it was "Origins at 8, Hero at 7, Demi at 6, God at 5", but maybe the math didn't work out as well as the new version?

I know I'd be worried that the system would break down around Demigod with that set-up.

test

Yazata stretch goal is up!

Also, an audio drama? I actually kind of what this, if only to see how awful and cringy it would be.

Strange choice, considering they don't otherwise do existing religions or monotheism (or dualtheism, but one of the gods is evil).

>Earplay creates stories you play with your voice and we're on a mission to nurture and grow the exciting new medium of interactive audio storytelling... You'll be able to step inside your imagination to experience Scion in this new immersive style of digital play with full cast recordings, sound effects, and music. It's like a high quality audiobook or radio drama got mashed up with a Choose Your Own Adventure book and you get to make decisions and control your character with your voice.

Sounds awful.

>they don't otherwise do existing religions
>Hinduism, Shinto, Yoruba and Algonquian faiths all in the core book

And Zoroastrianism has more than just Ahura Mazda.

I never liked the Deva's, mostly because they were the Gods of a Millenia old,currently alive and massively popular religion, and as a result would be incredibly powerful and the 'leaders' of the gods, where I've always preferred the inter-pantheon politics to be a complicated clusterfuck as GM.

Please stop shilling your shitty kickstarter for a failed game that nobody cares about.

>$190,000 and going
>"failed"

>people are dumb enough to waste money on it, so it has to be good

How's being an idiot going for ya?

Not surprised about this stretch goal. Earplay seems to be in tight with OPP since the Pugmire kickstarter. This'll probably start being a stretch goal in their KSes from now on.

Nah.

>nobody cares about
>over two thousand backers

poor guy, not only is he so autistic that he gets triggered by people likeing things he deosn't like, he can't do basic math either.

>My definition of failure shifts for whatever bullshit my fagginess demands!
Oh, well why didn't you say so in the first place!!!

KILL YOUR FRIENDS

It's several people telling you "we don't give a shit".
I've repeatedly attacked the issue directly in addition to 'insulting' you by pointing out that your metaphors are asinine and whiney. It's also multiple people telling you to shut up as much as it is multiple people telling everyone about how they're so betrayed.

It's not the Cult of White Wolf or people sucking developer cock as so often gets thrown around. It's literally people who are not as mad getting told they should be super mad you guys.

Beast is a Chronicles of Darkness game. It uses Storytelling (or Storyteller? I can never keep straight).

As far as I saw, Hero is still at 7. Really they could have any target number, the challenge become how many successes you need.
I feel like they really should call the numbers that come up on the die above the target "Hits" or something instead, because they actually have nothing to do with your ultimate success.

Dagda, no, stop letting the Morrigan lead you around by the dick.

>It's not the Cult of White Wolf

Big talk coming from the High Acolyte of the Cult of White Wolf. Don't think I haven't seen you sacrifice d10s in the night!

Anyways, I'm with you on the successes thing. Considering that they're essentially currency you pay to meet the difficulty and use stunts, it should be something relating to that. "Hits" isn't too bad a name.

What does something have to do for you to consider it a success?
Is it only things you like that are successful?

>Audio Drama
We animu now?

>Sacrificing d10s
That's blasphemy

I WANNA FUCK APHRODITE

>They promised to create that game.
>They then waited three years to start
They've spent three years working on the system, and didn't launch the KS until they were sure everything was ready to go unlike Exalted which was kickstarted then they spent three years throwing out drafts wholecloth and starting over

I have considered converting to Kemetic Paganism solely to fuck Bast or Sekhmet in my dreams.

Are they going to have the Atlanteans in this edition? That was retarded as fuck last edition, I hope they don't make that mistake again.

>Are they going to have the Atlanteans in this edition? That was retarded as fuck last edition, I hope they don't make that mistake again.

I don't recall this, there was a seperate Atlantean pantheon?

They're being written as a non-canon example of how you go about building your own fictional or real but not yet in the books pantheon, along with PSP design suggestion.

That's not how it works. You can imagine fucking whoever you want, they're not going to American Gods into your head and scratch up your back.

if it does work, let me know and I'll convert too

>fuck Bast

Sounds great!

>fuck Sekhmet

Enjoy being turned into ribbons of dream-flesh.

>implying I'm not both horny and suicidal

It was in Demigod and Companion. Atlantis was a place, and it was subverted and destroyed by the Titans, a cautionary tale for other pantheons. If you met a Scion of Atlantis, you should run away or stab that motherfucker, because he's working for Titans knowingly or not.

The purview was called Scire, it was all about being able to learn super-fast and be super-good with technology, up to and including controlling the internet with your mind.

>OP power as fuck
>still get fucked over
>/laughingaesir.gif

Har har, pussies. What good's knowing how to make the VCR work when it's time for a murdermake? No sense of priorities with those milk-blooded moon calves.

Do we have a Discord yet?

Only 200 bucks from the 190k goal. Do you think they'll do any especially attractive one for the 200k stretch?

Oh I missed the update. Yazata added to the Companion at 205k. Sweet

Because some of the PSPs are about cultural magic as much as anything else.

Are they? Neat.

Do we need one? What would be the point of the thread?
I already have to deal with a dumbass I hate in the CofD Discord

>Algonquian
>still existing
Kind of, but not really.

>projected between 350k and 600k
>trend is even higher
How many bonus pantheons do you think we'll end up at all together? So far only two are actually approved and the Yazata are the third.

Besides those the only stretch goals I've really cared about are the Cults section and the rules for making your own pantheon.

Can't be too many or they'll run out of ones for unannounced books.

Considering how much they've squeezed just out of the celts/gauls so far, they won't run out. If nothing else they can just use African religions, or Caribbean/South American stuff. There's a fuckton there to draw from.

All Neall has mentioned are the 2.5 we've already seen. Demigod and God both have 5 in them plus stretch goals for each, so they're pacing themselves on the Pantheon front.