Professional DMing

Who here /professionalDM/?

> be 26 year old NEET
> live with dad
> had a few jobs but quit them pretty quickly
> dad is real into D&D, he started playing AD&D in like the 80s when 1e first came out
> he gets me to run LotFP and D&D 3.5 epic 6 games for him and one of his other oldfag friends
> i spend a good 10 hours a week prepping, the rest I spend jacking off
> dad has shittons of money so while i don't get much I do have internet and a decent desktop
> do all the yardwork and get 100 bucks a month for it
> end up with massive miniatures collection
> own over 100 D&D books of 3.5, AD&D, and various old school hacks
> run sessions 3 nights a week

No end in sight to this, I'll just kill myself when my parents pass away. Literally the best life I can envision, I basically get paid to play D&D, because I'm pretty sure the only reason my dad keeps me around is so i can GM for him. Also I eat fuck-all compared to the average fa/tg/uy who spends 7 bucks a night on dinner alone, my food costs are like 1.50 a day max. So I'm not really costing him much and besides my computer I barely use any electricity. A lot of time I spend prepping and thats with paper pencil and books.

Pic related, LITERALLY me.

Sounds pathetic. Get a fucking job.

You're not a professional DM, you just have a rich dad.

So do you actually hate your life, or not?

Because I'd probably pay someone to DM games for me. And a group. Which I might pay someone to find.

Look, my point is, user, we're all lazy, we just have lucked into different circumstances.

It's up to you to design the life you want and then go after it.

I dunno about turning GMing into a full-time job or anything, but I've seen people looking for paid GMs on Roll20.

Not that you're going to get rich off it, but writing modules might be a bit more lucrative. I have a few PWYW modules up that brought in a couple hundred bucks. I do my own illustrating and mapping, so unless you're good at those things, you might have a small investment there. A ton of people use William McAustland's stuff... Good shit, but I'm really tired of seeing the same images in every production.

When I was just a lad, looking for my true vocation, my father said
"now son, this choice deserves deliberation. While you could be a doctor, or perhaps a financier, my boy why not consider a more challenging career!"

I'd pay for a kick ass DM just to give my forever DM friend a break.

My life isnt far off that.
>26
>Lose job
>girlfriend dumps me
>Enroll in university because I have nothing else to do
>No friends in class, don't drink dont smoke.
>live off student loans and grants.
>Join the college gaming club.
>Its my only outlet so I spend all my free time prepping for games.
>Chose elective modules that make me a better DM like script writing and graphic design.

If I could somehow make a living as a DM I would die happy.

Whoops, that wasn't a reply just a statement, finger slipped but good on you for wanting to give the dm a break.ll

Being a NEET sucks, OP.

I've only been one for about 5 or 6 months, I already want to fucking die. I'm gonna go do Job Corps or something, try and learn a trade.

I suggest you do the same.

This. I had a mental breakdown and had to come home and live with my parents again and I'm fucking miserable. Nobody will hire me either

I don't know why we romanticise NEETdom. It's a horrible way to live. The only days I look forward to are the ones where I play 3.5

Is nobody gonna call out how this man somehow eats for 1.50 a day

Not really hard if you drink water, cook your own meals, and live out of someone elses fridge.

>I don't know why we romanticise NEETdom
It's a joke, most of the time. Some people actually like to live doing nothing. Not me. I want to work. I want to make money. I want to be independent .

And I'm gonna, come this month. I can't take being a NEET anymore. I feel sick all the time, I don't sleep, all I do is browse Veeky Forums and jerk off. This isn't life.
I'm not surprised. I used to be chubby before I was a NEET, I've lost tons of weight. You just forget to eat and when you do, you eat small since too much already makes you feel worse.

I only eat once or so a day. Usually two eggs with a glass of milk or something.

Fuck this.

Well, well, well. What do we have here? Yet another thread of worthless shit. Congratulations on being a leech op. Just another person brought into the world who literally does nothing for society. No fresh ideas, no attempt at making a difference, just a consumer relying on someone else's hard work to get them by in life. At least when you go that'll be the end of your pointless bloodline and ideals. "Professional DM" isn't exactly a title that draws in the opposite gender if you know what I mean. Have fun with the remainder of your parasitic existence I guess.

I was in the same boat. I remember going to a career service meeting when I hit the 6 month mark and the lady laughed when I told her I had already applied for the navy, the army, the police force, an apprenticeship and an adult back to University program, I was literally applying for anything that came up that might get me out of the neet life.

Did you manage to get out or are you still trapped?

Eventually, was unemployed for a total of 14 months.

>14 months
I want to vomit just thinking that I might live like this for that long. I need to fix my fucking life.

I kind of envy that, but I like working and being social.

That being said though, I wouldn't mind picking up a side group that I charge. Like $10 a person, per session and we would go as fucking long as we can all go, buuut only 1 day a fortnight.

That being said, my main group takes up all my time. Its hard prepping for 10 players.