/swg/ - Return of the Moffrence Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore, and everything else Star Wars related

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign/

Because I wasn't going to wait another hour for it to hit page 10 just so I could post this. GLORY TO THE MOFFRENCE

Other urls found in this thread:

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!195:27,-1,-1:33:17:;193:-1,144,-1:34:17:;190:140,-1,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:25:&sn=DDB Zoom and Boom
xwing-builder.co.uk/build
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jake_Farrell
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1Ev0h6J50-NcnhQQ2dYRmFoWjg?usp=sharing
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/life-undercover/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gonna get into X Wing.

How are Tie Punishers, Decimaters, Force Awakens Tie Fighters, and Tie Defenders.

>Tie Punishers
Big, expensive once equipped, pack a huge wallop, not really worth the cost unless piloted by Deathrain or Redline, because their abilities are really good
>Decimators
A big lumbering death-brick. It has pilots & a title that make it either a vicious turret-shooter or ram-o-rama
>Force Awakens Tie Fighters
A step above regular Ties, as they have all the same stats but a with a single shield point. They also have access to 2-speed S-Loop maneuvers and just as good of a selection of pilots.
>Tie Defenders
Used to be expensive and kinda crap, currently thanks to the Imperial Veterans pack they're the best single fighter in the game before you take pilots into account, in either gotta-go-fast-to-stay-alive /x7 or glass cannon /D forms.

I should also say that Decimators have 3 crew slots to really fuck with the other squad.

No experience with Punishers, and I haven't gotten to use my Decimator, but...

>TIE/fo: I personally enjoy using these over standard TIE/ln's. For a modest 3 points, you gain not only a shield, but target lock and S-Loops for added survivability. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I've found it can keep them up long enough to either get them out of the fire completely or pull another ship into the fight to save their ass. Their aces are fairly useful as well. Other than that, they fly like traditional TIE Fighters, and can also benefit from any abilities or conditions that specifically refer to TIE Fighters as a result.

>TIE/d: Like a slightly fatter TIE/i, the Defender is fast, mean, and still quite agile for its size. While it can't do 1 or 2 hard turns well, it has green straights all the way and a white 4-speed K-turn. The Imperial Veterans pack recently gave the ship a healthy boost in the form of two more pilots (I personally enjoy Countess Ryad, who can treat straights as K-turns), not one but two titles, as well as other goodies. As a downside, they're costly, starting at 28 points for the most basic pilot with the TIE/x7 title, but they're powerful ships to build a squadron around. They'll also draw a lot of fire, so be prepared to put that barrel roll action to good use.

I've found the generic punsihers are good if you're flying them with jonus and careful not too overload them.

Ok, from what I can tell Deathfire is how I wanted to run my Punisher, dropping bombs everywhere.

How do Defender's compare to Interceptors? Are they worth the points? I happen to love both their models, so it's no skin off my back if I go with one over the other.

If Interceptors are high-end versions of Fighters, Defenders are high-end versions of Interceptors. If you want a Defender, run just one, and then support it with Interceptors or even Fighters. Two, or even three Defenders in a list is technically possible, but you lose a significant amount of power with each one lost as well, because they will be targets.

which xwing list building do people use that gives younan image with all the cards laid out?

One of the most powerful lists right now is 3 Defenders with x7 title

How do I convince my group women can't survive in space? I mean, it's just science.

X wing squadron builder can do it.

I've had a blast running two Defender and a bomber (Ryad, Steele and Bren)

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!195:27,-1,-1:33:17:;193:-1,144,-1:34:17:;190:140,-1,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:25:&sn=DDB Zoom and Boom

Just to make 's post clear, the website is:
>xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Put your squad together, press 'Print', then select 'Display as cards.' Not all card images are available.

There are horrors in space that everyone shares user

>That picture
This can't be real

Thanks.

because they'll depressurize like everyone else?

Poor V-wing, she barely gets any attention

Holy shit that Braylen.

She certainly gets more than the OG V-wing.

It's because she competes with the Eta-2, which admittedly is a very sexy fighter, for screen time.

So, why is the Emprie phasing out all they old space fighters for crappy TIE? They Y-Wing and the Arc are two beast, and apart of beign cheap and nimble TIE are pretty meh and very squishy.

So the Shadowcaster, is there any build out there that kind of shines? Everything I've seen just makes it seem so reliant on chance.

Ties are way, way, way cheaper and easier to maintain/replace/produce.

Asajj w/ K4, fearlessness, gyroscopic targeting, glitterstim, and slicer tools is pretty solid all around.

>TIE
>Crappy
Except it isn't. The TIE/LN, in the right hands, was the apex predator of its time. The Z-95 and Y-wing couldn't touch it, and the ARC was too expensive--hard to maintain due to all those moving parts, required three trained crew, plus an astromech. In a one-on-one fight, the TIE/LN beats Zs and Ys in nearly every piece of media where they can face off. Empire at War also showed that TIE/LNs beat Vs in 1:1 odds every time. On top of that, ANH showed that TIEs have a crazy rate of fire.

The cheapness is also a massive bonus. For the same price as a new X-wing, you get 5 TIE/LNs, and those 5 TIEs will statistically beat the one X-wing every time, barring outliers like Wedge. Credit-for-credit, the TIE/LN really was the most cost-effective starfighter in the galaxy.

IIRC cost and doctrine changes. I believe the clone wars showed the Empire that it was more cost effective to field light fighters than heavier fighters even if you had a higher casualty rate. Also the TIE isn't bad, it mops the floor with clone wars era and crappy pirate stuff. it's just designed to operate as a screen for larger imperial elements or as a huge swarm.

>airspeeder
laughingareskoandgrint.jpg

>Empire at War also showed that TIE/LNs beat Vs in 1:1 odds every time.
Mind you those were possibly undermaintained pirate V-wings but generally TIEs seem better.

And TIEs vs Headhunters/Ys/Starchasers can often come down to the opening ordinance volley. But after that TIEs generally have the edge.

>The cheapness is also a massive bonus.

Good job user, you shot down that TIE fighter... now go kill the other 71 that just launched from the stardestroyer
>sheeeeit

I'd also bet 3 TIE/LNs beat 1 ARC handily, with the same crew and likely lower cost.

Ubiquity in design also helps. Needing to maintain 20 disparate designs of varying ages, manufacturers, etc can be a huge logistical strain, especially on a scale as wide as the Empire's. Imagine being a Star Destroyer commander with 10 ARCs but only 1 Y-Wing (numbers are examples), requesting parts, and getting 10 sets of Y-Wing parts and only one set of ARC parts. And engineers that would need to know so many entirely different crafts.

Not to say that repairing a plain ol LN and a Defender are the same thing, but you can still have TIE Engineer who can at least maintain all of them to a good degree, even if he is (say) a Bomber expert rather than a Defender expert.

And since we both spoke of logistics and cost:
If you need to make 10 examples each of 10 designs, they'd cost more than 100 examples of one design.

>Punisher
Pretty good tanky heavy-hitter, but do NOT overload it. Any opponent with brains will want to knock out a Punisher before it uses all of its ordnance. Just give it a couple of explosives that you're fairly sure you can get use of in short order.

>Decimator
I usually have Commander Kenkirk with Ysanne Isard and Darth Vader on-board. Shit is pretty cash.
>TIE/fo
I love these. You can have a slightly more irritating version of the standard TIE swarm. If you're using any aces, make sure their ability has good synergy with the rest of the squad. If you have Omega Ace, for example, it's worth investing in a Fleet or Systems Officer to help get your Focus and Target Lock.

>TIEs have a crazy rate of fire
Fucking this! I wish nucanon writers remembered this more often. The TIE fighters in Rebels, for example, are completely sluggish in both speed, maneuverability and fire rate.

Hell, going into shield-piercing machine gun mode should've been the secondary ability of TIE fighters in Battlefront instead of those awkward torpedoes.

Anyone have that comic of the Empire conscripting random schmucks off the street to be their TIE pilots?

>Tie Punishers
Big, heavy-Tie. Think of it like the Imperial version of the B-Wing, or K-Wing. It's big, it's fat, and it carries a truckload of ordnance. Unlike those other heavies however, Punishers rely exclusively on ordnance for their damage output. In that regard, they're a beefier Tie Bomber.

>Decimaters
The Empire's primary weapon turret. It serves as a nice centerpiece wall of HP for a fleet, a party-wagon, and as a limo for Palpatine and/or Vader when the shuttle is just too much suck for you.

>Force Awakens Tie Fighters
Awesome. They're what happens when a Tie Fighter makes sweet sweet love to an Interceptor, and has a shield installed. The dial is great, and adds some nice tricks to it. The pilots are all solid, even the cheap low PS aces. And there's a lot of fun shit you can do with these. 15pts gets you a solid low-end little filler ship. 18pts gets you an upgraded Crack-Black Tie.

>Tie Defenders.
With Veterans, and the standalone Tie Defender blister, this is probably the surest Empire version of "quality over quantity". They're mean, they have a bag of tricks, they mug school children for lunch money, and they can be built a variety of ways. Worth having, using, and trying out for sure.

The Tie designs strike me as one of the biggest examples of WW2 influence in Star Wars. They're so much like the tank designs from various nations, but notably german and russian. You have the base model chassis (T-34/Panzer IV) that got upgraded over time. Specialty vehicles were built off that chassis (SU-85, SU-100, OT-34, flammepanzer, Panzer IV/70, StuG), and all of them used the same basic parts that were interchangeable.

Every time something's flying it's really sluggish. Disney really like their ultra-smooth animation curves and it bugs the shit out of me. The original film had very slow flying largely because they used huge models that couldn't be flung around, which was mostly rectified in ESB & RotJ when they did a combination of using smaller/lighter models and much more practiced technique. They were still extremely limited in what kinds of maneuvers could be shown due to how hard it is to composite the two images together without it looking like paper cutouts, so they made up for it with speed.

Reminds me of an EotE game I ran. Wanted to give the players a ship and sent them on a mission to capture a Decimator from an Imperial outpost. It was a relatively small gsrrison base, but still had 6 full squadrons of 12 TIEs each and a full regiment of Stormtroopers and a complement of AT-ATs and AT-STs. Basically informing them in not-so-subtle terms that a direct engagment would be a very bad idea. They'd have to use all their cunning, smarts and slicing skills to sneak in. And they did great at first, inciting locals to attack from the outside as a distraction while they snuck in and disabled the base's anti-air cannons. Then once they got into the Decimator and blasted off, I pointed out they suddenly had 24 TIE fighters on their tail(I made sure they got the info that two squadrons were kept on alert at all times). They got all pissy at me because they though it had 6 fighters total, rather than 6 squadrons of 12.
Needless to say, I had to fudge a lot of dice to get them out alive. They did manage to kill 4 of the TIEs, but I made it clear that the remaining 4 squadrons were all launching so they better cheese it before they got cocky.

Hey Guys

I've been looking for a miniatures game to play and I keep hearing great things about X-Wing. I'm wondering how one gets set up? I don't know much about factions or such but I do generally like the Scum ships I've seen in my LFGS.

My problem is, whenever I go to my LFGS and try to talk to the people there and get them to shill me on X-Wing.... they promptly start trying to shill me on Age of Sigmar.

And there goes Nora Wexley. Off to get her PTSD.

First off, AoS is trash so I'd avoid it unless you have bros to play with.

Best way to start X-Wing is to grab a core set (or both) and some ships you like and go from there. Learn how to fly, how not to hit asteroids, and go. All the cards are on the various squad builders, so take a look and see what you want to get next.

If you like scum, grab most wanted for a nice introduction to the faction. That, a HWK, and a jumpmaster would be a solid start.

Jake's in there too, I think he's canon now as well. He was mentioned by name on one of the official star wars pages

I'm more of a Lorefag with games anyways. I'm not against general Warhammer Lore but I consider Age of Sigmar to be pure shit in that department so I have no interest in getting a force. And I've heard the rules are lame anyways.

Anyways, thanks for the tips. How much stuff do you normally accumulate for X-Wing? Will I need a lot of boxes and stuff?

You need at least one Core Set (Original or Force Awakens). I recommend shilling some friends on the game and establishing a shared fleet that's kept at one person's house that anybody can contribute to and play anytime.

It's what I do. I have a shelf just across the room from me with every expansion in the game. Huge ships included.

Yup!
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jake_Farrell

I have about 10-11 fighters and one huge ship

I keep them in a tool organiser (intended for sorting out screws and stuff) they fit nice and snug and I've got space for probably another 5-10 fighters depending on size

This is the shit I love
Plus imagine how much cheaper TIEs are actually once you take out the military spending inefficiency

I've been playing since it started, so I have accumulated a lot. At least 1 of everything and lots of what I like (tie fighters, interceptors, bombers, Z-95s)

A normal game is 2-8 ships per player and the average is closer to 3-5, so not much really.

Does anyone here play Armada. I like X-Wing, got couple of friends playing itm but i'm more into CapShip Warfare. Does Armada compatible with X-Wing in terms of balance?

Yeah that's kind of a vibe that I was going for, but I was thinking of it more generally, and thinking of cars. Base chassis, with upgrades and specialty on that. Parts can be interchangeable, or at least a lot of them, layouts are familiar to engineers, and you have a unified "brand image" to any dissidents as an added bonus (in the Empire's case).

>Z-95s
Why do you like that ship? I have flown it a couple of times to fill in the remaining points and it flies like a brick, the lack of boost or barrelroll is really bad.

Is this too many points for a B-Wing?
>Keyan Farlander
>Stay On Target
>Enhanced Scopes
>Heavy Laser Cannon
>Mercenary Copilot
>B-Wing/E2

I was thinking of having something that could chill at Range 2-3 and just unleash Cannon fire.

I think you could do fine with a Dagger sqdn. B-Wing in that role to save some points, and use other ships to keep the space around it clear. I've had a bunch of games with a HLC+FCS B-wing in the back pumping out shots, and it ended up alright because the HLC shot after the higher PS pilots burned off tokens.

Ultimate Star Wars, courtesy of Scanon from /co/: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1Ev0h6J50-NcnhQQ2dYRmFoWjg?usp=sharing

Keyan is actually not best suited to the HLC B-Wing role - with Stay on Target, essentially his entire dial sets up his ability. If you give him Advanced Sensors instead, he can perform an action before executing the maneuver that will inevitably stress him, allowing you to make a quick adjustment with Barrel Roll to help escape the enemy arc. If you bring him in after the merge, suddenly he's a nightmarish knife-fighter.

is right in that the Generic Dagger or Blue Squadron Pilots with FCS and HLC will serve you much better in the long-range role.

If you take Keyan with Stay on Target, you go with Advanced Sensors. Enhanced Scopes is only good if you're trying to make generic blocker B-Wings (which are doable). Or you really want Deadeye Nera to always have her action for lower cost than Advanced Sensors.

Keyan can rock an HLC, but he becomes a disturbingly huge target at that point. If you go that route, take Biggs. Otherwise, leave the HLC at home, and trust in his awesome ability with just Adv Sensors and SOT. Toss Jan Ors on board if you feel like he needs a little bit extra survivability.

It's cheap and so damn efficient. Rebel Zs unleashing missile hell and scum Zs pulling crazy shit with illicit upgrades is hella fun.

Farlander with Opportunist is a good build, because you can get an extra die and provide the stress that you need for the ability, and do so without spending a whole mess of points. He does usually require someone to help him setup the shot- Wes Janson is the optimal choice, both because of when he shoots and what his ability does, but a couple of blockers can generally do the same thing if you haven't got Wes.

Must also add this is just the character section, rest is coming soon.

Thanks for the advice! I'm working with cards I actually own so I'm somewhat limited but I'll keep working on this build.

The only problem with Opportunist Farlander, is that he's 1pt less than SOT+Sensor Farlander, and has none of the hilarious knife-fighting gimmicks. Plus he really needs Wes to make Opportunist work, as Keyan's at that spot where most pilots/aces will still have their tokens going.

My favorite use of Farlander was having him out knife-fight a Tie Phantom. Opponent was getting frustrated because Keyan was reacting to the decloak location and I was accurately fucking up the shots he was trying to get off. So finally he decides to use Intel Agent on Keyan, and looked at the dial to see... 2 speed K-Turn... and nothing behind or even headed into Keyan's backfield. He just looked at me and was like "What the fuck am I going to do with this?"

Did the Expanded Universe ever touch on Force-Sensitive Planets?

The two places to get "the Keyan Special", Stay on Target and Advanced Sensors, are the Outrider (YT-2400), and the E-Wing. Both are actually worth getting if you get the chance. The Outrider is a lot of fun. And the E-Wing, while terrible for a generic filler ship, has Corran Horn. And he's still one of the best Rebel aces.

I have an Outrider actually. Love it!

I was actually thinking of a K-Wing next for dat Extra Munitions and Turrets.

Should i buy Imperial Raider or Imperial Assault Carrier. I got recently in X-wing with a starter pack plus Imperial Ace pack and i want to play with some Big Guns.

K-Wing's a solid choice as well. Extra Munitions is needed for any multiple ordnance build. But Guidance Chips is also needed, which (unfortunately) are only in the Jumpmaster 5k (marathon), and the Inquisitor Tie. Without the Guidance Chips, ordnance is pretty "meh" in most cases.

This is why logistics are important, people. Don't accept deckplans that don't contain facilities.

Do you like Tie Fighters, or do you like the Tie Advanced and Sheev?

The Raider is the bigger badass ship, and comes with Tie Advanced and the fix-cards the Advanced needs. It also has cool pilots for the Advanced, like Juno Eclipse. Plus it has Sheev! The Carrier on the other hand gives you two more Tie Fighters, some badass Tie pilots (Wampa, Youngster, Chaser), and has Agent Kallus.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/life-undercover/

Looks like it's F&D not XWM so far today. Still, some interesting stuff.

It should not be this hard to find their damn proprietary rpg dice

Just checked Imperial Raider content. Looks sick, probably gonna buy it. But i can't get how does the ship act? Do you spend energy from aft to fire second time from fore or what?

Might get more use out of the Gozanti honestly. It's cheaper and easier to field than the Raider, and it'll give you things that'll support your basic TIEs (as well as, surprise surprise, more TIEs)

>Pantoran, Muun, and Gand
>Sentry is a lightsaber class
Sounds interesting. I wonder if one of the three will be a double force rating class like hermit/seer/sage

Man, I really want a Carrack upgrade in this style now.

Speakingof dice, I'm working on a Discord bot, but doing it the Orokos way sounds annoying (and I'm lazy).

Nice, I forgot to post half of it.
Does anyone call dice as like... their names? Orokos does it "XeY" whiere Y is the first letter of the kind of the die, but I'm thinking instead of... 2dA, having it just AA, since the amounts of dice are small.

Legends stormtrooper armor is often touted as being highly resistant to slug-based firearms, but are there any sources that give actual comparisons of its resistance to different calibers and ammunition types?

no because space fantasy and science fiction authors aren't too great at guns and real world math

Nope. And that's probably a good thing, because sci-fi authors trying to put IRL comparisons or numbers in their work never ends well

Cool Muun, Pantorans and a reprint of Gand. I'm going to bet Zeltron too in this or the next FaD book.

With a VERY few exceptions, which is the few guys who are massive gun nerds.

Wait is this a Devaronian or a Zeltron?

Devaronian. Note the freckles and the forehead circles.

Yep I see it now. At first glance I thought it was a Zeltron.

Question from an EotE player: How do I into identity theft in Star Wars?

Our group was recently backstabbed but good by a rich dude on Bespin, and we've taken it upon ourselves to destroy him. The initial plan was to just to turn him for his shady dealings, but I convinced the group that letting the Empire freeze his assets would be a terrible waste.

So now we're planning a heist to steal his jewels and shit, but I want to go bigger. We theoretically have his Banking Clan account number (we transferred our haul to him before he backstabbed us. It's probably a proxy, but we have a Slicer who can follow the money). How many more steps are there before we can withdraw all of his liquid assets as a lump sum of cash?

Rebels Season 2 OST is out please post link to MP3 downloads thank you.

Preeetty sure that's a Mirialan, due to the geometric facial tattoos.

I was thinking that too. But in both Legends and Canon Mirialan only come in green or yellow flavors.

It's about time Pantorans got printed. They've been used in the art resources since the very first EotE Core book.

Btw, anyone have any idea how Pantorans and Chiss are going to be explained, now that there are two, nearly identical Blue-skinned near-humans?

You're probably going to have more luck asking over in the /co/ thread, assuming it isn't there already.

Well in Canon Chiss are still from the planet Csilla in the Unknown Regions so... Just another blue skinned humanoid acclimated to cold environments. Maybe even subterranean too cause they still have red eyes.

Thrawn seems to have a really defined... skull line? I'm not sure what to call that.

Bone structure. And I agree

>withdraw all of his liquid assets as a lump sum of cash?
That's not gonna be possible; too many safeguards in place to prevent that exact thing to happen. And even if you managed to cash out like that, it'd be very easy to trace

PS3 is the only problem (sort of, it's better for Seismic Torps), I should put Roark in and just cackle forever.

Is my minds fucking with me or does he look very similar to Tarkin-era Peter Cushing?