/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Behead those who insult Great House Dres Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Tiber Septim.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/tamriel-rebuilt-1609-release
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Lizard's_Head
michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/post/128602974278/excerpt-from-a-tesv-skyrim-design-document-with
imperial-library.info/content/five-hundred-mighty-companions-or-thereabouts-ysgramor-returned
imperial-library.info/content/shor-son-shor-full
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502266-The-Mortal-Coil-A-UESRPG-Game&p=21259150
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for kirkbribe is an idiot but some of his lore is nice

Could there be any meaning to how Nords refer to gold coins as 'Septims' and Dunmer as 'Drakes'? Is it because Dunmer aren't big fans of Tiber, while Nords worship him as Talos?

no u

Sure. Realistically, there would be both who refer to both.

>If you pick it up, you'll never get it back in that position again.
>It'll spend the rest of eternity staring at the ceiling.

Kinda like Crassius' girlfriend.

I think there are two denominations of currency: Septims are bigger coins with more value and made of gold, while Drakes are smaller and worth less, probably made of a lesser metal. Without any real information, I would say it's a 10:1 Septim to Drake.

I don't think there's an evidence of that; the two names come from the two sides of the coin.

Why is Vaermina called "The Weaver of the Panoply"? What does that even mean?

Where's that head?

tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/tamriel-rebuilt-1609-release

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Lizard's_Head

I see...

Why does Roll20 have such a terrible interface?

She collects memories. The Panoply is her collection.
No wonder she's the enemy of Herma Mora.

It's safer dealing with commodities.

Okay, so what does this mean exactly?
That TR finally has their shit together and can pop out releases faster?
Because it seems to me once a united vision comes together and all assets are collected to be easily distributed to members, it's a matter of man-hours to get from design to release.

>vaermina's land is called quagmire
>vaermina collects memories
>a quagmire is full of water
>water is memory
Deepest lore.

This is a new release in and of itself, along with the new data file.

Primarily, the data structure eases the compatibility and cross-coordination between the province mods. Due to this and other internal restructuring, they plan on having more regular releases. Even so, it's not as if they have all of the assets for the rest of the province completed yet.

Hey, did you know there's a board for video-game generals? You know, huh, but ignore that because you go out of your way to be shitposting cunts? That's a way to live your life, I guess.

Just a threadly reminder not to reply to shitposting cunts.
On topic, what do we know about Atmora?

Quite a lot more than you might think, actually. What are you interested in specifically?

Atmora is something that would work particularly well in a table top game.

Who lives there? Are there any written in-game or oog sources you can link so we don't have to ask everything one by one?

Who lives there? No one, at least not anymore. The last wave of migration was a few boats in the first era (PGE3).

In-universe, there are two main theories regarding Atmora and the history of mankind. The hotly contested "Out of Atmora" theory, which posits that Atmora is ancestral home of what would become the Nedic tribes, and the tales of the Nords themselves, which states that they were breathed to life by Kyne at the Throat.

The totemic religion of the early Atmoran settlers (including the dragon cult), the roots of the modern Nordic faith, all date back to Atmora. In fitting with that, most of their cultural heroes are said to also descend from Atmora, long after that stops being a realistic possibility (pic related).

michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/post/128602974278/excerpt-from-a-tesv-skyrim-design-document-with

As an aside, Herma Mora often appears as a hare in Atmoran folk tales.

There was something there called "The Broadwall." There was also a city called Jylkurfyk, which should give you an idea of what most Atmoran names sound like.

Anyway, the important thing is that it's now literally frozen in time.

imperial-library.info/content/five-hundred-mighty-companions-or-thereabouts-ysgramor-returned

Not that guy so I'm not too big of an Atmora nerd, but Atmorans were presumably really tall. Giants and Nords might have Atmorans as a common ancestor, and the statue of Ysgramor is probably life-size, considering how he could use Wuuthrad one-handed with his shield (which is oversized on the dragonborn). There's also the king of Atmora posted

Skyrim has a single giant draugr. I assume he was among the first settlers of Skyrim, explaining why he's still so tall.

There are a few references to what are called "karstaag-men" in Atmora.

>And the third, who looked akin to a Karstaag-man, [gigantic], and adorned in storm cloud and endless, endless yellowtooth… [he] was Alduin the World-Eater, and he only said, "Ho ha ho."

what the fuck is up with this drawing

That's the 500 Companions.

499 companions and one very large TALOS paddling to Tamriel, and the massive stink cloud of their collective fecal stank

Nah, he's saying Alduin looked more like a monster in human shape. The three gods tried to be "all dress-fleshed in Greybeard aspect".

Oh, I know, I was just posting an example that wasn't from the Companions text.

Popping in the lore thread for the first time. They told me it was good, but is it just a meme? Is this really the type of shit you guys do?

It didn't used to be like that so much.

Speaking of The Seven Fights of The Aldudagga
>The songs herein are attributed to Bretonordic skalds of unknown number.
How culturally important is this to Bretons in particular?
No. In fact this is normally the reason we try to avoid Weekday threads.

Nope, this was a dragonbreak (non weekend) thread, which are generally worse and more prone to shitposting. Although the proper weekend threads were pretty slow for a past few weeks.

You can make your own place and change what axis is lays on.

I'd imagine it has vague importance to most humans, but the more Nordic Bretons like in Jehenna would probably see it as more a part of their culture.

That is very clearly Ysgramor, He is even paddling with Wuuthrad.

Fun fact: ancient Nords had knives that grew sharper the more drunk you were.

Im guessing they were outlawed so the whole nation wouldn't kill itself off in a giant drunken clan war or something?

Source?

>they were breathed to life by Kyne at the Throat
That could be a metaphore for Kyne freeing them from dragon's rule.

imperial-library.info/content/shor-son-shor-full

Or that it was the first place the Wandering Ehlnofey made landfall.

Which makes sense, considering that forge in Whiterun (?) is likely of their make.

>wine-knives
where are we getting this sharpening thing from?

>A wine-knife is a weapon that you only pull when drunk. It can detect sobriety, blunting its edge the more clear-headed you are.
-MK

>There was also a city called Jylkurfyk, which should give you an idea of what most Atmoran names sound like.
Atmora confirmed for Iceland

Sound pretty impractical

They're Nords, after all.

>This is a new release in and of itself
So what part of the main land is now complete like the Telvanni part?

None, I think. The Redoran, Hlaalu and Indoril lands aren't NPC'd yet. In the previous release, I think, the entire landmass was released, albeit unvarnished.

So Dres is complete?

That's pretty much still in the conceptual stages, and will likely be the last house to be finished.

So besides Dwemer, are any other races known for using crossbows? I can't imagine its popular with Bosmer since they already loev bow

>The Dwemer crossbow is an ingenious device that permits someone with only modest training and skill to fire a missile bolt massive enough to penetrate heavy armor. The Imperial Legion's mass-produced version is somewhat less effective, and most Imperial missile troops and hunters use the more popular short and long bows.
So Imperials do use them. Also, there are Orcish Bolts, so I imagine crossbows are popular among shitmer too.

>shitmer
Say that to my face, not some delivered parchment.

Hey guys, get comfy because we're gonna discuss books.

I just got around to reading The Seed. The fact that I've been a lorefriend for this long and not known that there was a TES version of The Lorax is startling.

>Implying Orcs are even semi-literate.
Shouldn't you be burning while a Breton and a Redguard double team your wife?

You know, for all the crap people give about how horrible Oblivion was, it had some pretty good books. Legend of Krately House in particular comes to mind.

Seed is from Morrowind, not that you're wrong, though. The best part of it is the T-0 namedrop.

We're all in agreement that Waughin Jarth is objectively the best author, correct?

He's definitely one of, if not my absolute favorite. Especially Feyfolken and The Exodus.

However, there are quite a few books I do like more than some of the ones he wrote. I do like his writing style, but I tend to find short stories like Chance's Folly to be excellent. Part of the reason I really like The Exodus.

All the books you mentioned are Ted Peterson's work.
Too bad he's no longer writing for the series.

At least we still have Hasphat.

Most of the books are at this point. If they have any common sense they'll find a writer who's at least half as good as Ted.

Oh, okay I think I get it now - this isn't a /content/ release

4.1 miles east to west
7.7 miles north to south

31.6 square miles: about half the size of Brooklyn.

Accounting for the 30:1 game time/real time ratio, we're looking at an "actual" area of about 28,000 square miles, or a little bigger than West Virginia.

You could fit the entirety of Tamriel into the Ohio Valley.

Seems off.

>can't host maptools because i can't properly port forward
>can't do vassal either
>roll20 has a horrible interface
Any better options?

KK's cool, but he's a different kind of writer than Tedders.
We often talk about and judge books in terms of how much lore they give us, but Ted was skilled at just telling good stories set in Tamriel. Kurt's full of interesting lore, but he doesn't tend to write stories in the same way Ted did.

I'm actually really curious about who wrote some of the Skyrim books, like The Tale of Dro'Zira.

432 ft per cell. My math could be wrong, sure.

The end result, I mean.

I remember an 'official' map posted by Kirkbride that showed how large Tamriel would be compared to Europe. I didn't save it at the time though, if another user has it saved. The games are all vastly scaled down though. Except Daggerfall which is vastly scaled up.

Which is maybe *too* big? I can't imagine something 3-4x the size of the Roman Empire, ant twice the size of China being under one government anytime before the 19th century.

Why is that?
One of the biggest issue with larger sized empires is issue with transportation and communication.
Both of these are mitigated by MAGIC

The problem with that idea is that it implies Tamriel follows the same societal rules as the real world. They've developed under extremely differing circumstances, with little actual correlation. They cannot be respectively compared.
Tamrielic society has limited access to things like instantaneous messaging and transportation, which is definitely going to have drastic impacts on administrative efficiency. Let's also not forget that Tiber had a literal god sculpt the foundations of his Empire.

*wives
remember orcs are dirty polygamists

The bell tolls to herald the evening shift at the Drelyn ebony mine on the western outskirts of Old Ebonheart. You and your motley crew of dust caked companions emerge from the mine to spend their hard earned drakes the best way they can - at the local tavern, a cozy little brick establishment known as The Velk's Tuft.

You and a few of your fellow coworkers that you know somewhat-well-enough sit at a small, round table that tilts when you lean on it. A familiar rapport and banter go back and forth amongst you, small talk for working class men. In the center of your meek table lies a slatted redware plate used to request refills used commonly in Hlaalu establishments. Despite the place being owned by an imperial, there is a mild leaning toward dunmer stylings. Orcs and Altmer insult each other’s taste in women on the other end of the small room, several accents clatter against the walls.

You put your tan, foggy glassware upside down on the slatted refill plate. It’s a calm, quiet way to request a refill in these joints. You shoot the Argonian barservant a glare and she catches it, you can see her left eye lock onto your empty cup as she manages to look over her shoulder. She’s diligent because she’s afraid of abuse, she wants out like everybody else but is afraid to change.

She lifts your cup and begins refilling it as you stare out into space. The barservant gradually loses her composure and scurries away after slamming your drink down. As your table comes back into focus before you, a fine brass ring is sitting upright in the slat under your where your cup was. The table’s eyes are on the ring, which immediately lets you understand one thing: the barservant didn’t put it there. What is this ring, and where did it come from?

What do you do?

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502266-The-Mortal-Coil-A-UESRPG-Game&p=21259150
PbP UESRPG game. Get in here, fa/tg/guys.

That's a very nice intro

Ysgramor didn't acquire Wuuthrad until after the night of tears.

But that's a later representation, probably drawn by Nords generation past him to illustrate his legend. The Axe is his attribute, he's going to be drawn with it regardless if he actually had it at the moment, kind of like the drawings of Christian Saints.

So were the Nords, once.

And Wulfharth wasn't one of the 500 companions. But if you hear divine tell that story, he'll sure as Shor be there.

>It is decentralized by the inevitable embellishment and narrative entanglement of millennia of oral tradition. Most Nordic myths contradict each other, using anachronisms or elements co-opted from other cultures, or repeat themselves under different guises. Sometimes they do all of this, and purposefully so.

>Indeed, the Nords freely admit their mythic haberdashery, and take great delight in mish-mashing their legends together (and the legends of others, even their historic enemies, the Aldmer and Orsimer) into “whatever just tells a good story at feast time.” As their Clever Men are fond of saying, “The snows melt and then freeze again and in the end it is all still so much water. Legends are the same.”

>water
It all comes back to water=memery

Do Orcs even worship the Aedra?

There surely are some that do, but as a race I think they're devoted solely to Malacath.

If they worshipped Dibella would she make them not shit, beautiful shit, or shit that fucks well?

So what, you think that picture is literal or something?

The Return happened after the Night of Tears.

She'd just hook them up with some scat fetishists.

I'm interested. How do I do this?

Gonna join as soon as I get a character ready. Which year is is?

Run it in this thread, don't wanna have to go set up an account somewhere

>Run it in this thread
Do you have any idea how unpractical that would be?

Not him, but he is onto something. Maybe not the lore thread, but we do have dice on here and on /qst/. Why not make a thread and link it here?

I'm fine with anything, though.