What's the different between Paladin and Crusader?

What's the different between Paladin and Crusader?

A paladin defends people from evil

a crusader hunts down evil and kills it before it requires a paladin to defend people from it

A PALADIN'S A VIGILANTE ASSHOLE WHO'S BEEN MANDATED BY THE CHURCH TO GO AROUND TOWN NOT MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS AND STARTING SHIT WITH PEOPLE HE DOESN'T KNOW.

A CRUSADER DOES THE SAME BUT IN COUNTRIES THAT AREN'T HIS OWN AND IS SENT WITH A FEW HUNDRED BUDDIES.

WELL BROTHER I'M GLAD YOU ASKED.

A PALADIN IS A FUCKING PUSSY WHO DEFENDS SHIT AND PLAYS ALL NICE WITH THEM WHILE BEING A COMPLETE HYPOCRITICAL ASS CLOWN

A CRUSADER GOES AND MURDERS THE /FUCK/ OUT OF WHOEVER
DOESN'T FUCKING COMPLY WITH THEIR GOD OR IS A GODDAMN HERETIC TO THEIR RELIGION

Paladin is a shitty class that is also a fall-bait for shitty DMs. Crusader comes with the only good 3.5 splatbook and is everything what paladin should have been.

>samefagging this hard
Most people try to hide it user

A paladin was one of Charlemagnes Knights, while a crusader was a armed pilgrim fighting to regain the holy land.

A crusader is a warrior who undertakes a divine purpose. The deity may grant the warrior a divine favor or powers, but the core tenant of a Crusader is that they go on a crusade. They need a task to fulfill, even if it's something like, "purge all that is evil"

A paladin is a holy warrior who draws strength from a divine entity. Whether they stay put or go out into the world, it is irrelevant to the paladin. He or she has trained to wield the divine power of his or her deity against whomever they deem worthy of smiting.

One's an asshole with a blunt stick the other's an asshole with a sharp stick

Crusader: A knight who crusades.
Paladin: A knight with bad footing.

crusader implys a more specific long or short term goal to be accomplished
Paladin is for when one is striving towards an ideal

Paladin: Defensive warrior monk
Crusader: Offensive warrior monk
If you want to go with magic setting ofc.

Reality
Paladin: One of the 12 knights in service of Charlemagne.
Crusader: Any fucker who went into the crusades, some low life shithead to the nobles.

>what's the difference

It's the same thing that differentiates a squad from a patrol. Paladins defend against trouble and Crusaders go looking for it.

>Someone is butthurt
>Someone had a bad experience

So if I wanted to play a character that actively purges demons and heretics, all the while being granted holy fire abd zeal by his god, I'd play a crusader rather than a paladin? Do crusaders get holy Boones or are they more about serving their god with standard martial strength? Because essentially I want to build a character that is a half tiefling that carries a holy torch of his order, so that he might crusade eternally and purge the wicked to atone for his monstrous ancestry.

the crusader crusades
the paladin paladins

A crusader is what you call a class that you make up late in the life of a system where better names have already been taken

A paladin is a giant flying fire-breathing reptile with four legs.
A crusader is a giant flying fire-breathing reptile with two legs.
It depends on the setting and the system, asshole.

A paladin is a holy man fighting for the spread of the Truth
A crusader is a sinner who wishes to become a holy man

Sounds more like an inquisitor to me

Hmm, could an Inquisitor wear dented up, tarnished plate armor and set himself on fire as penance frequently? Also, what does an Inquisitor do?

>What's the different between Paladin and Crusader?
Depends entierly on the context of the question.

For example, in 3.5e a Crusader is a class that is dedicated to an ideal, usually an extreme, where a Paladin is dedicated to a deity.

In real life, as has been mentioned, Paladins of Charlemagne, and people who went on Crusades.

So, as usual, what fucking setting are you asking about?

Acceptance of cannibalism

A Paladin is a righteous, questing knight doing good deeds and defeating evil wherever he finds it, a wanderer ad protector.

A Crusader is a man on a fucking mission to wreck some very specific evil he probably has personal or religious or even philosophical uber beef with, he can and will decimate other evils that hamper him in his attaining his goal, but his focus is upon a single mission of righteous wrath.

One has a specific goal, the other doesn't.

The Paladin might say 'I seek to do good in all I see to weaken the hold of Drakanos the Serpent Lord of Nightmares on this land', it is a very broad and generalized goal, but the Crusader will say 'I am off to personally beat Drakanos with my mace, out of my way'.

Crusaders are more direct, wrathful and ruthless than a noble, questing Paladin. Crusading implies some zealotry and fervour.

First answer best answer.

This is a paladin

This is a crusader

Paladin's are holy warriors

Crusaders are holy soldiers.

A few hundred years of warcrimes and many foreign diseases from travel