MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Underrated Golgari Edition

Previous Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-goodstuff-4/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Pentavus.

Yes! That thing needs more love

Thanks for the Help Guys! I'll see what I can throw together for Thromok's "GET 'N MAH BELLEH" deck.

So I had a weird Pentavus scenario come up last night:

>mazirek is on the field
>drop Pentavus while Ashnod's Altar is out

Does it go infinite? I'm pretty sure it does because:
>sacrifice one thingie to ashnod's get two mana
>you get an extra +1/+1 from Mazirek
>use the two mana to pop off a +1/+1 and put it back on
>you get an additional +1/+1 token each time
>repeat this process as many times as you want

2015 commander decks are the way to go for a commander beginner, right?

Yes and no.

Yes the commander products are good in general, and 2015 has some of the best assembled ones.

No because it's more important to pick one with a style you like, than one that's from 2015.

Well I was thinking about the green/black one from 2015, I would like to eventually assemble a zombie-recursion deck that's monoblack and kill people with like living end/living dead and boardwipe with damnation (since I have one laying around from the time spiral times).

Funnily enough I also have a sol ring around which I heard is pretty much a must include in every commander deck.

I own the Meren one, and it's a quality product, but why not buy the 2014 mono black one if you plan on building monoblack and have some good cards already?

The problem with the Meren precon is that 10,000 people at every store bought it, and play it. You're pretty much shoehorned into one particular strategy. Mazirek, on the otherhand, comes in that deck and is very fun to play. Same with Jarad.

It's also worth noting that in around a month a new series of Commander preconstructed decks will be available. They will have four colors in each deck.

Admittedly that's even worse for the idea of making a monoblack deck out of a precon, since at most a fourth of the cards you get will be black.

On that note: How the heck are they going to do the mana base for these upcoming four color decks?

>since at most a fourth of the cards you get will be black.

Not actually.
They've said the most elegant strategy they've been able to come up with so far is making the 4-color Commander decks primarily 1 color with 3 side colors. So, one of them will be primarily Black.

Obviously they'll be reprinting original duals and every fetchland for each deck.
Alternatively, Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Darksteel Ingot, Manalith, and a billion signets. For the nongreen deck, weeping.

Well I guess it's worth waiting to see how these decks will turn out first, maybe they will be strong, maybe just junk.

On another note I was thinking about fireball and similar X spells, anyone tried to make decks around it?

Vivids. Vivids and artifacts everywhere. Maybe even colourfixing generic artifact dorks.

Supposedly they're mostly focusing on a single color and the other three are going to be splashes.

So the mana bases will probably focus on uncommon duals that provide the primary color. Also the Shard/Wedge/Lair triples.

On the bright side this means we'll probably see a widespread reprinting of the Tainted cycle.

>1 color with 3 side colors.
>yfw it's all phyrexyan mana

Translated from Wizardspeak, they said that they don't feel like giving it a good manabase.

I wonder if they'll go so far as to put Urborg in the Primary Black one. Maybe reprint Chromatic Lantern or Prismatic Omen in some of them.

They can't put a "good" manabase in something with a $35 MSRP.

I'm thinking two trilands, four vivids, evolving wilds, terramorphic, transguild promenade, rupture spire, and command tower.
Probably a decent amount of budget duals, but hopefully of the gainland flavor.

Do you guys think they will make 4 color guild gate style lands? Comes in tapped but produces RUWB for example?

They probably aren't going to put four Vivids in each deck. I'm sure they'll put the one for the primary color in, but that'd probably be it.

Probably not.

Say for instance the deck is primarily White with Grixis sides, they'll probably just put Crumbling Necropolis in.

If they did that, who would crack packs for lands to sell on the secondary market to EDH players?
Ech! Goyims.

Maybe we'll get checklands, that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

If they launched commander products with duals and fetches in them, it wouldn't tank the price of them, it would just make it so scalpers would buy them up and resell them at a profit. It would be impossible to find them at MSRP after the first week.

Either way, the jews win.

Yeah, this combo has a lot of interchangeable pieces

>wotc announces fetches and shocks and such in the commander products
>not a single unopened commander deck is ever sold from an LGS
>instead you can buy "commander 2016-lite" which comes with every card except the fetches and shocks and fastlands etc

What are some other spicy combo things I can do with mazirek, outside of the normal persist stuff?

Speaking of C16, I remember someone saying there would be a MaRo article about it today. Where's it?

No MaRo said he was WRITING the article today and it would come out in a week or so.

Not so much combo, but don't underestimate the synergy with Innocent Blood, Barter in Blood, Tribute to the Wild as well as Seals and the like.

Not so much a combo as just synergy, but you could run some of the Spike creatures, like Spike Weaver or Spike Tiller.

With everyone talking about Mazirek I feel the need to post my deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/

Well actually I was thinking mostly of combos involving ghave/pentavus, and Mazirek is one of the more interchangeable pieces that could instead be juniper order ranger, cathar's crusade, doubling season, or something

But as far as Mazirek combos go persist is the main thing, but etched oracle and mindless automaton can probably do spicy things with mazirek, fertility and festercreep too maybe

With a sac outlet and Mazirek, noosegraf mob just keeps making zombies for every spell your opponents cast, but obviously you're not actually gaining zombies here, you're only gaining whatever you get from your sac outlet

So, how are my commanders?

Wort: Goblins (Girlfriend)
Wydwen: Faeries/Instant.Dec (Girlfriend)
Meren: Almost the Precon (Girlfriend)
Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Artifact shenanigans
Daxos the Returned: Enchantments Pillowfort
Ezuri: Mighty Morphin Power Morphers
Ob Nixilis: Monoblack Control.

And with the pictures because I forgot like a dummy

>You're pretty much shoehorned into one particular strategy. Mazirek, on the otherhand, comes in that deck and is very fun to play.

Wut. Mazirek is much more particular about what he wants to than Meren is. Meren can be used in a variety of ways she's just a value engine.

Mazirek want's to do one thing and one thing only, sac tons of tokens.

Not necessarily. 90% of Meren decks are exactly the same, due to generally crappier people constructing them and reading up on EDHrec on what they "should" be playing. Mazirek on the other hand, is almost always homebrewed, and there are a lot of neat interactions you can use.

Sure, token sacing with Endrek Sahr and Awakening Zone is probably the most common approach, but you could play it with Smokestack and Edicts for a stax-style setup, you can make it an infinite mana combo engine, you can Helix Pinnacle, or Exquisite Blood/Sanguine bond, or you can just build a straight b/g goodstuff beatdown.

There are lots of things it can be used for, you just need imagination.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-goodstuff-4/

Any suggestions?

Who's your least favorite commander to play against /edh/?

Who is that one commander that, when you see it across the table, makes your eyes roll into the back of your head?

Maelstrom Wanderer or Vendillion Clique.

Narset, followed closely by Oloro.

>oh look how original and unique I am, I don't use creatures in my deck

Fuck all those Dave hipster douches.

Maelstrom Wanderer or Narset

clever impersonator over clone?

Stunt double could also work for that sweet Flash value.

Aside from obvious ones like Oloro and Narset, I'd have to say any 5 colour legendary. I've only ever played against one interesting 5c deck, usually they just play superfriends or goodstuff and I just don't find that interesting.

Reccomendations for Card draw and mana fixing for a R/W deck?

Either Purphoros or Oloro.

Purphoros because
>I'm just gonna spam tokens until people die because my commander spends most of its time as an indestructible enchantment

Oloro because
>Don't even have to cast it to get value from it
>Esper colors can answer literally everything
>Look how original I am! I did nothing but durdle this entire game and won off Exquisite Blood+Sanguine Bond

Oloro. He's never even cast, gives value wherever he is, and his colors give the deck answers for literally everything you could possibly throw at them.

I would love too, but it was apart of my collection that got stolen a few weeks ago. :(

I just use clone cuz it's foil, to be honest.

If you want card advantage then why the hell are you playing RW?

Best I can recommend is Skullclamp, Howling Mine and Temple Bell.

>Mazirek want's to do one thing and one thing only, sac tons of tokens.
He also wants you to drop edicts, crack fetches, sac artifacts, seals, spellbombs, vessels, capsules, etc

Remember, it's "player" and "another permanent" not "you" and "creature"

Probably because a few card draw sources are good in ANY deck.

Oloro is only going to get more cancerous now.

>implying that's a big deal
I just don't play people who play Oloro. It's the same reason I built Uril instead of Maelstrom.

Oh FUCK. I didn't realize just how dickish this card is. It's especially dickish with pic.

Narset or Derevi. I got super satifying game against the former a while back though with my Mogis and got a T2 Æther Flash and the other guy either didn't run removal or didn't draw any. He ended up losing pretty bad, since he relied on the commander.

>Narset with no enchantment removal
It's like he wanted to lose to Moat effects

Prosh. I hate that fucker.

>lol, let's just shit out tokens and a sac outlet. Rotfl gg no re

Meanwhile I'm sitting across from this fucker playing UR watching this bastard sequence his food chain combo correctly. Another friend makes him do it every time, because the Prosh player has messed it up before.

So instead of just shuffling up another game, I go out and smoke for 25 minutes until their done.

>Oloro
>not using that glorious piece of jank in Sydri

So I asked last thread but didn't get any answers. Are there any cards that increase power/toughness with cards in graveyards besides wight of precinct six and consuming aberration. Someone at my LGS mentioned some cards that do that but for the life of me I can't remember what they were.

I'm trying to put a Phenax deck together so basically anything that can grow with mill works.

Hellkite Charger is great next to Savage Ventmaw and Sword of Feast and Famine (and Bear Umbra).

Mystic Snake with Surrak on the field is an uncounterable counterspell. I also run Stubborn Denial for Temur flavor.

I've really loved Flameshadow Conjuring and Flamerush Rider in my list.

I don't really like Boartusk Liege, and I don't think you're doing anything busted with Murkfiend Liege, so you might want to try Overwhelming Stampede and Pathbreaker Ibex in their place.

Simic Sky Swallower doesn't seem like it does enough, same with Frost Titan and Engulfing Slagwurm. Inferno Titan is best remaining titan in these colors.

Keeper of the Keys looks pretty sweet. That and Regal Behemoth definitely deserve some testing.

Off the top of my head there's Bonehoard, Wreath of Geists (it's green though) and Nighthowler.

Any reanimator general... No, your Meren deck isn't unique or special snowflaky just because you switched 4 cards out for a fetchland, a terastadon, and two more mana rocks...

>So instead of just shuffling up for another game, I go out and smoke for 25 minutes until they're done

I have that exact same problem with my playgroup and it's why I fucking hate combo decks. You want to play solitaire? Fine, you don't have to interact with the board.

But fuck you if you think I should have to sit there for 10 minutes waiting for you to set up your infinite and then another 10 to execute it. It's masturbation at that point.

Nighthowler and Mortivore only look at creatures, but it's in all graveyards.

Sewer Nemesis is just one player.

Don't be hatin on mah dragon tribal

Friendly reminder that black is the best color.

So why was pic related banned?

But when someone does show up with Scion it's never dragon tribal. And then someone else comes along with Reaper King and there's not a single Scarecrow in their deck. I always end up disappointed when someone shows up with a non-sliver/generic 5c general.

Did you even read it?

Because it's a dumb card that leads to nothing?

You spelled green wrong, my dear friendo. But you're forgiven since black is second best.

It leads to winning the turn or the turn after you resolve it if you aren't retarded.

itsabigone.jpg

My LGS has not many smart men. One guy lost to Pithing Needle naming Mayael.

Sounds like the problem isn't the Prossh player, it's your other friend who's butthurt about Prossh.

I literally have Dragon Scion built, thankyouverymuch. Sometimes it even wins.

Because of this:
>Exile some creature, like pic related, with an enchantment
>Cast worldfire
>Next turn attack the oloro player and everyone else loses.

But user, people are retarded.

Also the main way to win with it would be effects that deal damage when creatures leave the battlefield. Or library manipulation. Or blink effects, but that would take too much mana to set up.

Pretty much it's a toy for jhoira and griefers. Jhoria gets one less toy to stop shitbags from durdling, and that's fine. It's not an efficient way for spikes to win the game, but typically that's not what they ban for, they usually ban for feelbad stuff, not stuff that wins you the game.

Suspend.

Should I throw this in my Xenagos deck?

Give the whole table card draw? Are you retarded?

That's a little harsh dude, wheel of fortune is banned in legacy and it draws your opponent 7 cards

I happen to agree that it's not great in Xenagod but I don't think it's so obvious that you should be calling him retarded

It's getting worse the more opponents you have. It's really suboptimal, especially when you have green. Also og wheel can be a surprise, this makes people dump their hands because they know exactly when they will draw.

I'd rather have Soul's Might and its ilk

*Soul's Majesty

I agree it's not worth running in Xenagod I'm just saying it's not retarded to ask if the Jank version of one of the best cards ever printed is worth running

That's fair. I had fun with it in Shu-Yun voltron.

Yet, instead of explaining it like that, you called the guy retarded for wanting to get more draws in Xenagos, a deck known for blowing through your hand at the speed of light.

It's not a bad choice if you can tap/destroy your opponent's lands before it hits, particularly since your opponents are going to be planning for 7 new cards.

Because you can float mana and modify the life total after a wipe. In a sense, Worldpurge is pretty much the perfect wipe when it comes to balancing.

I'm not the same guy, friend

It's terrible. Tried it out in my Xenagod Dragon stomp, and it was just bad. It hurt me more than it helped. People can plan, and if you dont don't have a backup , you just get blown the fuck out when your three opponents have new grips.

Go with wheel of fortune. Or incendiary command.

Sorry pal, I'm feeling awfully salty because of various nazimod shenanigans.

How do you feel about the budget red draw cards like Tormenting Voice and Wild Guess? I've been brewing Uril cantrips, auras, and cost reducers, but I'm not very familar with how to draw in red and green.

Are any of the Commander 2015 precons worth the MSRP, or would it be better to just pick up single cards?

Red does not have much, and it's usually looting, which is meh. Pic related is really fun in Uril.

Have you tried Faithless Looting? It has Flashback, so it's almost like having two copies of a spell in your deck.

Also, you know, Fecundity.

>Fecundity.
In Uril? Are you mad?