A monk needs help

So i started out as a monk in the second session of a d&d campain and I realize i kinda fucked up with this one as monks are very hard to start with.

I am not going to kill off this character for no reason and I refuse to reroll another one.

I am unarmed, have no armor, a flint and steel, some alchemical fire, and a keg of gunpowder.

What should I do?

What the hell are you even trying to do?

>...a flint and steel, some alchemical fire, and a keg of gunpowder.

Think you answered your own question. Become gunpowder monk.

what edition anyway

I am trying to do a monk that uses a mix between grappling, hand to hand combat and eventual weapons that are assigned to a monk.

Either a quarter staff or a biw and arrow. Maybe other weapons to use as i develop him more.

3.5 ed

What is a gunpowder monk, if I may ask?

Prestige Class, 5 levels, 4/5 advance your monk bonuses as you level. Get to blow things up for fun.

Pre-requisites:
Improved unarmed strike
Stunning Blow
Acrobatics 5 or 7 or something.
Must own flint & steel, alchemical fire, and a barrel of gunpowder.

I forget the rest. Look it up.

>I am trying to do a monk that uses a mix between grappling, hand to hand combat and eventual weapons that are assigned to a monk

>3.5 ed

I'm sorry to say this, but you're basically fucked, especially if you don't really have one specific focus.

sup taytay

>Monk
>Bow and arrow
Monks aren't proficient with those

Something that doesn't exist

Oh well fuck me sideways

Thank you. I will look this up

So in your opinion, what should I focus onif I don't do the explosive tossing monk?

> Playing 3.5 at all
> Playing non-caster, to add
You fucked up, user. Switch to 5e, if you want to have fun as a monk.

Either in fighting with monk weapons or unarmed. Still, being 3.5e, you'll suck whatever you do because monk is the weakest class in their 16 years of history.

It'd be easier for him to switch to Pathfinder and play an unchained monk.

Base monk still sucks in PF, but the unchained version is actually pretty good.

Here's what you do

Tell your GM that you feel like you made a mistake in choosing Monk and ask if you can please retcon into another class. Then become an unarmed Swordsage from Tome of Battle or, if your DM hates fun, a Cloistered Cleric so you can be more like a Friar Tuck monk rather than orange-robes-punching-sand monk.

OR

Burn 3.5 books, murder DM, murder group, play another edition or Not D&D

Because Monk is a shit-tier class in 3.X that suffers from every bad design choice of the edition: MAD, broken economy of actions, underpowered/useless feats, worthless capstones (what the fuck monster is seriously gonna die to your Quivering Palm), and wholly outdone as a warrior-type by any spellcaster

Relatively speaking, base monk in PF is actually worse than base monk in 3.5 unless you minmax the shit out of it and use archetypes, you have to use archetypes in fact or is impossible to do anything.

At least in 3.5 you could pounce at first level and deal +1d12 to every unarmed attack on a charge and other shit, in PF there isn't superior unarmed strike, there isn't improved natural strike for monks, there isn't pounce till midlevels for monks, etc

Is extreme hard mode, but let's try.
Look for decisive strike on Player Handbook 1. Then go for improved natural attack.
You can now increase the damage dice and then double it for a single attack.

If possible, ask the GM if allows you to use it as an alternative to Flurry, and as a standard action instead of full round. Is what it should have been.

Do you have access to Dragon magazine stuff? Things like the garrote could help, especially against casters (yes, I know, but the GM could not always play them at full potential).

Does your GM allows the improved trip + knockdown combo (there was the 3.0 errata, but then it was reprinted as-is)?

>At everyone
God damn it all to hell.
Thank you guys for your information and I will try to power game it to the best that I can.
The dm said that he was thinking about changing the game and setting next session so there is that. So might regurgitate this character back up again.
Thinking about just becomming a grappler or killing this character off as he is still level 1.
Again, thank you guys for all your insight and information.

Yeah grapple, trip, and kciking them ehen they were down is more or less ehat my strategy was going to be.

If i become to usless I'll try and do this.

Maybe your GM is a sensible and smart fellow and has some homerules to fix the monk, there's always hope.

Thirsty Monk pretty good

I did kinda make him into a homless alchoholic

so keeping with the 828 vibe

Yeah, which Is why i am more leaning on rerolling or changing my class.

houseruling little thing would help, like that imp trip + knockdown thing, or houserule that decisive strike is included with flurry, or let the monk add wisdom to the maneuver rolls.

Ask to add the bonus feats like in pathfinder. Keep the 3.5 feats like other observed. The flying kick could help the damage at lower level, while you build up to add damage to the unarmed strike. Can someone cast enlarge on the character?

Maybe import Vital strike from , but let it scale automatically with BAB. Generally it sucks, but you can combo it with size, improved natural attack, decisive strike, for something.

Does someone has the old file from candlekeep for the Dragon Magazine feats? they would help immensely, there was even a feat to make 1 unarmed strike a turn as touch. That helps for the average BAB.

bard busker
drunken boxer monk
floridian tourist monk
vow of poverty hitchhiker monk
brewery goblin

Okay, yeah drunken Master for sure. Reading it up it seems like a lot more fun than what I was planning on doing.

this is now an asheville only thread

beer, mountains, and homelessness only

What about vodka, whiskey, moonshine, wine, mead, ale, abstinithe, and other forms of alchohol.

we have a number of distillerys, vinyards, and meaderies in the area. but beer is king, with over 100 breweries in the immediate area.

only 3 gamestores and one is almost exclusively MtG

Damn. Doesn't sound like fun place to live.