Cyoa General

Previous Thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Well, I'm done with page two of this. Page 1 has been updated as well. Changelog to follow.

I would, again, like to stress that while this is technically a work in progress, it's perfectly playable as is.

Builds and feedback of any kind are much appreciated.

And page 2

Changelog for page 1

Tweaked augment costs.
Somewhat altered the mechanics of Swarm and Ouroboros augments.
Added drawbacks.
Added notes complete with interactions between various augments.

Again, apologies for how slow all this is. I have precious little free time and, I'll admit, it's difficult for me to find the will to use it for anything even remotely productive.

As always, I'm here to answer questions/address concerns.

B)

Please explain the cancer stuff from Ouroboros, and how it's affected by Clockwork, in greater detail.

never liked meta's much, they sorta can hurt another cyoa's flow, horrifically.

That said, choose your own adventure.

Colors will probably be complete today, in like 2 hours.

It's pretty clear. It fucks up your tissue to give you cancer. Clockwork reduces the chance to get cancer because you have less tissue.

Rolled 87 (1d100)

>Overcome adversity: ???
>Undergo physical training: No
>Under 28: Yes
>Any of those disorders: ???

(128%)

>Siren (119%)
>Swarm (112%)
>Man of Steel (100%)
>Horus (95%)
>Sherlock (84%)
>Farsight (81%)
>Ouroboros (73%)
>Clockwork [Heart, Liver] (68%)
>Caliburn's Scabbard (65%)
>Thrallherd (54%)
>Pheidippides (49%)
>Atlas (41%)
>Super Soldier bonus (53%)
>Remove "certain organs" (63%)

This is gonna suck.

I meant regarding the chances. Is the cancer risk a flat +0.1% per year? And does Clockwork only give a flat resistance percentage (i.e. up to a few years guaranteed freedom of said cancer, after which it starts ticking up again), or does it affect the yearly rate (i.e. two Clockworks is enough to fully counter the cancer risk, assuming it doesn't mean "0.05% of the base 0.1% risk")?

fuckin wot

is mostly right.

The main reason we think the Hayflick limit (thingy that means the more cells divide, the more their DNA degrades to the point of non-viability) is there, is to stop cells from dividing too much. Stem cells don't have that, they just keep dividing indefinitely. As a result, they're far more likely to turn into cancer cells.

As for clockwork, well, if you have no liver cells you can't get liver cancer, can you? Previous versions had more stringent costs because I wanted to avoid everyone going for the immortal option by default. Unfortunately, most anons were doing it regardless, so I decided to make things cheaper to encourage creativity.

Will add to notes in next update.

what?

Oh, neat. I literally died.

Oh.

Yes, it's a flat 0.1%/year. It doesn't go up.
Yes, taking clockwork once halves the risk and taking it twice nullifies it.

Hmm, that seems to happen a lot.

Maybe I should add an option for the doctor to revive you at some cost or other. So you can mulligan your roll at least once.
Thoughts?
What should the penalty be, if yes?

i just wish you figured out a way that didn't require rolling.

It'd be cool if when you did "die" you had a list of "aww shit, you fucked up" options.

>that feel when you're missing only 1 point to get everything you want

I've never been so close, yet so far.

A

Make some kind of undead abomination CYOA where you get as many points as you failed the life/death roll by. For example, with a 60% chance of death, and you died by rolling 80, you would get 20 points.
This way, they can be reward by fucking up monumentally and spectacularly, as opposed to playing it safe and losing anyway.

Whoops, I meant 60% chance of living

What was your build lad?

fuck my idea, this guy knows whats up. But it would require some interesting balance so everyone doesn't WANT to die.

Legend - Dragoon

Strength 3
Precision 2
Regeneration 3
Endurance 3
Improved Lung 1
Beast Eye 2

I wish there were proper Legend drawbacks though, would be able to get what I want and probably something extra too.

Hmm, well the primary concept could be that you're basically a slave at that point.
And maybe have the starting number of points come with drawbacks? For example, if you start with 20 points, you will be missing a voicebox or arms or something, and you can spend points to get your shit back.

Posting updated build. Also recruiting the last SINK member.

Name: Sapphira Ilise Nova
>New Arrival New Arrival (100)
>Age: 15
>Gender: Female
>Location: Atlas
>Semblance: Witch
>Will (90)
>Fear (80)
>Beauty (70)
>Intelligence (60)
>Agility (40)
>Precision (20)
>Tracking (0)

>Battle Rifle (800)
>Collapsible (750)
>Dust Mod (700)
>Weight Reduction (600)

>Scroll (600)
>Rebreather (550)
>Dust Collection (450)
>Armor (350)
>Targeting Lenses (200)
>Dust Charges x4 (0)

Will seriously consider this.

For now, though, UPDATE.

Rolled 59 (1d100)

> Sub-28
Yep
(8%)

Mover (-6%)
Zeus (-15%)
Ouroboros (-23%)
Swarm (-30%)
Sherlock (-41%)

[Induce] PTSD because it's highly treatable. (+56 or less for survival.)

better yet, since you get more points if you die, you get WAY more fucked up if you die with lots of points.

Like the prison's cyoa's, it'll be like trying to make the best of a bad situation but the situation gets so much worse if you risk it.

JUUST finished the build!

What's in the update?

SINK information officer reporting for duty!
>History
Guardian (10)
>Name
Koh Cliquot (Colour: Coquelicot, trying to keep with the in universe naming scheme with a colour that it's reasonable for a fox to be. Sadly, there's not many good names that haven't been taken.)
>Age
>Race
Faunus (Fox, with ears, tail, & eyes)
>Starting Location
Mistral
>Semblance
Doormaker
>Gifts
Intelligence (10)
Memory (20)
Agility (20)
Energy (20)
Guile (20)
>Weapons
1) Dual Katars [150]
Mods: Collapsible (folds back to armguards)
2) Compound Crossbow [350]
Mods: Dust mod, Weight Reduction
>Gear
Scroll [0]
Wilderness Gear [50]
Dust Charges [50]
Rebreather [50]
Targeting Glasses [150]
Spy Drone [200]

Using a combination of his semblance, drone, glasses, and crossbow, it's almost impossible to tell where Koh will attack from in a fight.
He loves to set traps for unsuspecting grimm, and the occasional teammate as a prank.
Outside of fights, he tends to act as recon with his drone and ability working in tandem, he can reach areas inaccessible to most and memorize any building's layout.
When not on a mission (And often when on one) Koh is lazy, he prefers to just lounge around and let other people do the work.

Fine, dad. I'll drink the Gatorade and eat the apple slices. Also do you have any of those little animal crackers? Those are my jam. Except in my mouth instead of my ears.

That's what I was getting at, sorry, I got distracted before putting the second half of the example and ended up just posting.

Throwing Clockwork * 2 to both lungs. Still surviving though.

Added clarification on Ouroboros. (See notes)
Added an option to mulligan your roll. (See the rules just after the drawbacks section)

Yeah, I've prepared all kinds of snacks for my kids. I mean, for my fellow team members.

Yay! You're appointed to team dad. Hi dad!

And the sneaky foxboy! How do you like our new team dad? He's got snacks.

No love for page 2?

My google fu has weakened, how does one find an anime picture of an item without getting actual items?

try booru

They're great, we really need someone with a good work ethic, they can set a great example for us by showing us how to do stuff properly. Might take me a few attempts at watching before I'd be confident enough to do anything myself though.
Plus the snacks are neat.

Can you straight up eat shit made out of iron for atlas?

yeah, expect fierce delays on the last two pages of colors.

after that I'll actually work on a full cyoa before releasing it.

I'm guessing choosing lungs counts as 2 organs?

It's great. Now we have two mid-range fighters, and a long-range sniper. If we can, having a melee fighter for our N member would be nice. We're all ranged types so far.

Rolled 26 (1d100)

Stay with me, kid, and you'll come far. I'll whip you into shape, and turn you into a soldier.
That's "Sir Dad" to you!

>26
I survived. Yay.

十--(已—已)/

Eh.

What's a good way of making a 'shrug'?

What kind of mods do the companions have?

If you choose both lungs. Choosing just one lung counts as one.

I can melee if needed, with my katars, I'd just prefer not to.
Getting hit hurts, yo.

Left lung and right lung are separate, yes. You can upgrade both or just one.

I can be a patient CO. Hell, if you do well enough, you can even call me "senpai".

They're all just... people. Barring Sophie, of course.
I'm thinking you can choose 5 augments for Sophie at half strength.

They're not companions as much as optional waifus/husbandos, though they do have bro potential. Companions are coming on page 3.

Somebody thought I should make a build for this, so here it is.

Alice Fairfax
>New Arrival
>Human
>Female
>20
>Haven
>Fast Mover
Gifts
>Ferocity 10
>Beauty 20
>Agility 40
>Energy 60
Talents
>Combat 100
Shop
>Melee (Katana) 100
>Ranged (Colt 45) 300
>Weight Reduction x2 (1 for each weapon) 500
>Armor 600
>Parachute and Grappling Hook 750
>Wilderness Gear 800
>Rebreather 850
>Targeting Glasses 1000

Look innocent and not threatening, but can suddenly move super fast and slice up grimm with sword and gun skillz. Be from Mistral and not afraid to assassinate and do dirty work for shady characters, but when the world needs (anti)heroes, then be ready to do what's right and have no problem doing what's not-so-right for the greater good.

Ah. Still neat.

Rolled 73 (1d100)

Will there ever be an option for changing/adjusting your physical appearance (even once)?

>Not picking Vale
>Not picking a name starting with "N"
Dammit. We need one more member for team SINK.

Yeah. I could possibly engage with my telekinesis, but I don't really have any skills beyond being agile and being good at shooting.

Skills at melee, that is.

Ah, dang. So close to having a full SINK.

Well, consider the fact that by the time you escape you'll have been there for several months, undergoing intensive testing and physical trials.
If you just wanna be Veeky Forums you'll probably be Veeky Forums by the time you get out.

That being said, page four will have items and perks and what you described, or something similar, will be an option.

RWBY autists, remind me again what groups are there, and what members do they contain? I might join one of them.

Hey angel, hows it going?

When might this be getting an official sort of name?

Well, in last thread from what I saw, there was SOLR, CATS, & SINK
SOLR & CATS got filled then two of them started erping for a bit and the other 3 members of each team stopped posting.
SINK was formed with the intention of being a speshul snowflake team, with a member from each kingdom, and still needs someone from Vale with a name beginning with N.

I think the new ones are SOLR and our SINK. SOLR is full, but we've got one last place for a Vale person in the SINK.

Also, I'm calling it as canon that SINK's team dad looks exactly like soldier 76, pretends to be 17, and everyone just sort of goes along with it since technically they can't disprove it.

One day they actually get someone with a semblance that can tell his real age, and he's actually 17 with the body of a middle aged man. No-one knows how or why.

Am taking any and all suggestions.

Finally got around to finishing this.
17, 3, 20, 20, 6, 11, 8, 3, 14, 9, 14, 17

>Age: 17+4=21
Aw man, I want to enjoy the sweetness of youth again...
>Height: 3: Very short
This does not look good.
>Skin: Unnatural - roll again - metallic red
OH MY GOD WHY?
>Eyes: Pale Blue
>Hair: Dirty blonde
>Identity: Mentally a guy, gut feeling of what to do
>Personality: Quiet
Well, no change there
>Considerations: Loose ends (no loose ends), Fashion Show, Friends and hobbies, Weirdness filter (2 Minor dispensations left), Bloody hot (from Major dispensation)
I desperately need the Weirdness Filter thanks to the skin color.
Then I'm spending the last Minor dispensations to get to Caucasian-level pale skin. I'm still super short, but I can manage.
Turning the Major into three Minor
>Trade-in: Rich (two Minor dispensations from the Major)

That was... very far from what I wanted.

Any chance of an exo cortex for an increase in say focus or attention or split attention (say by applying repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation to areas that may disengage focus, ear implants for language translation, or having an upgrade for the sherlock system for AI assistance for displaying calculations of mathematics problems, translating text, accessing the internet, as well as writing and running programs (thus being the only way a swarm user can use a computer).

Cognitive upgrades would make these systems incredible. My current build includes super solider plus all clockwork upgrades (except skin) plus I asked for lymphatic and glymphatic upgrades, ouroboros, and swarm. As I understand alittle about human physiology and alot about neuroscience, with with build I would be far more cognitively healthy, given toxin and waste products will efficiently be removed from the brain, while there will be a significant increase in absorption and metabolism of things needed to sustain stable and continuous neuronal firing. So plenty of lactate, glucose, and creatine for my brain. Stable hormone systems via the endocrine upgrade should ensure a far more stable mood.

Just gonna combine these twoStarting powers from here.
Name: Sanguine Redsun
Power level: Legend.
Specialization: Big Game Hunter(Rank 2 Hook and Rank 2 Earth Belt free)
Powers: Rank 3 Strength(-7), Precision Rank 2(-5), Endurance Rank 2(-5), Regeneration Rank 2(-5), Improved Lung Rank 2(-2), Beast Eye Rank 2(-3), Sentient Sympathy(-3).
Companions (5 tokens): Armor Knight(-2), Bizarre Lizard(free).
Equipment (20+3 from unspent companion tokens): Rank 3 Earth/Air Belt(round up to paying 5), Rank 4 Hook(-3), Rank 3 Weapon Battle Ax with Explosive enchantment(-5), Mythril Plate(-10).
New Arrival, Male, Human, 17, Beacon Academy, Vale.
Semblance :Unstoppable
Gifts: Memory, Intelligence, Will, Combat, Tactics.
Weapon shop equipment: one Variable heavy machine gun and shotgun, with Dust Mod.(-450). Brought my own ax this time.
Item and assorted goods: Scroll, Motor Bike so I can ride it out VTOL(-300), Wilderness Gear(-50), Dust Charges(-50), Rebreather(-50). Pocket the last 100.

Hah. That's awesome.

If the maker of this is around, I got a question.
Regarding the lust curse, just how horny are we talking here?

Like how many hours of lewd/day would be enough to keep me satisfied?
How many hours to keep me functioning?

Rolled 85 (1d100)

120%

-Adversity: Y (+8%)
-Under 28: Y (+8%)

Suffer From OCPD and Paranoid Personality Disorder. (+16%)

End Result: 152% compatibility

OCPD is pretty much hand in hand with his PPD. He's constantly double-checking lists and people's statements for contradictions to prove if they're lying/trying to manipulate him.)

156%

Maker: 144%
Mover: 130 %
Ouroboros 122%
Sherlock: 111%
Farsight: 107%
Clockwork: Heart 105.5%
Horus: 100.5%
Swarm: 93.5%
Zeus: 86.5%

So Roll below 86% and I'm ready to go

It can be as often as it would take you on a lonely Friday and Saturday night put together, so a few hours to jerk off at most. You will run the risk of popping a bonner at the smallest physical contact with a female.

I'm totally on-board for that!
>I'm not a young man anymore
>What's that, 17?
>N-nothing!

>spoiler
Ozpin being a troll?

Wew! I survived but only by the hair of my balls! I knew I kept them for a reason other than fun.

Sounds legit.

I'm sorry. Maybe I could head over to Vale after I'm trained and help out...

Nora Fairfax?

Ok. How about you?

SOLR SOUND OFF! Also done with the sex rollplay, got it out of my system last thread.

So what is the edgy and tragic backstory this time? Also I am proud of you for being creative and not using that pick for your raped Super Soldier build.

My grasp on neurology is shaky at best so I try to steer clear of such. Far as I can tell, most augments are classifiable as hard sci fi, and I'd have a hard time coming up with something that fits that bill.

That being said, I will certainly consider adding another row for, shall we say, mental upgrades. You won't get everything you described, but you'll get some.

I saved the current iteration as "Augmentation CYOA".

Angel, sweetie. Why did you put weight reduction on a pistol? Are you so week that a toddler can hold you down?

Would Mover work on the subatomic "gloop" from Maker?

Made a math error, but I can deal with a little pain or amnesia (probably a blackout of the entire month+surgery process so I get to "discover my powers").

Once formed into a cohesive substance, yes. It will not work on the gloop as is.

That would be two Nora's and I don't think her friend would appreciate the headache.

Actual RWBY spoilers: Don't worry, they only have to put up with it until the Vytal festival.

Hey did that one fuy finish his manga-themed cyoa where it was black and white and used manga pages?

>what is the tragic backstory this time?

Nora is an emotionally scarred orphan girl who got locked up for accidentally killing her own sister while trying to protect her from their abusive stepfather. While locked up with seemingly no escape, she was offered a chance for a new life on Remnant by the (God?) that is looking for heroes for that world. So of course she accepted, but she ended up in the dark criminal underworld of Mistral because she had no history in remnant and had lost much of her empathy and moral compass from her abusive youth. But she'll totally choose what's right when the world's existence is on the line and become the heroine Remnant needs! Or is it all in her head?

>your raped Super Soldier build

?

Because I want to use it with one hand with sword in the other and big pistols are heavier than they look, and even though you can shoot them with one hand it's really not the best way if you actually want to be accurate?

My cousin is a gun nut and I shot some of his guns including the exact kind Babydoll uses.

Nelly?

What? Nothing happens to [Nora

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ....no idea.