ITT: Times when things got too wierd with your party/GM

ITT: Times when things got too wierd with your party/GM

Other urls found in this thread:

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Reign_of_Winter
d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Explain to me how these guys don't get shot to death?

PF Iconics are fucking Mary Sues

>DM is my roommate
>me playing female character
>party is trying to expose a "respectable businessman" as the scoundrel pirate that he will is
>party's brilliant plan to have me pose as a wealthy stupid merchant and get him to try to mug me
>me hitting on my roommate
>NPC accosts and tries to romance my character
>my character almost gets raped
It was really fucking uncomfortable.

>Playing D&D with some buds.
>DM is giving us the worst kind of railroad. Instead of just pushing us along the way he wants, he just keeps coming up with bullshit reasons that we can't do things until we stumble on to a hook.
>Every npc we meet is either a jerk or an idiot.
>Every quest we're given is an overly complicated fetch-quest.
>Over the course of one campaign, we go from bright eyed, enthusiastic heroes, trying to make the world a better place...
>To marauding mercenaries and rapists who are just getting the job done and getting the fuck out.

It's all your fault, Mike. If you just new how to go with the flow as a game master, instead of trying to passive aggressively force us to do MACGUFFINQUEST 2, we wouldn't have become a bunch of savages.

What's even going on here? Why are official PF characters in what appear to be WWI Russian trenches?

Seriously, I'm genuinely confused.

>now, now you are ready to game in the real world.

Baba Yaga (Slavic folk story) attacked Golarion once or twice in the past, the PCs follow her through a world, then they land in Russia, 1918.Also, fuck you, Rasputin is her son.

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Reign_of_Winter

It's happening right now, and I need some assistance:

>Deadlands
>party is in a hostile town, 3/6 are jailed
>looking like 1 or 2 characters may die, have to roll new sheets
>I'm hosting
>had a shitty week
>GM's had a shitty week, BUT I'M LESS FORGIVING
>no issues with the game being entertaining prior

So. What is the best case scenario for me?

>for me

Clarification:
I don't want any butthurt from any deaths, or just a buzzkill session in general.

Oh fuck. If I thought that our GM had written such a shitfest intentionally, then I'd have to say he was a genius.

We turned a simple romp through D&D into Medieval Blood Meridian. We don't mention that campaign anymore.

This is the problem with rape in D&D nobody ever brings up. You want to think you're doing things realistically, with all the grittiness and danger pursuant to it.

Then you find yourself having to get into character as having been fucked against your will. That's a fun time. Especially everyone else around you, your compatriots, trying to respond appropriately to you , as a thing that got fucked against it's will. That's a real fun get together, that session.

Unless, worst case scenario, you are playing with the kind of angst-hole who actually gets into hardcore poor- me victim-playing... I think I'd find that to be the most irritating scenario of all

>Maid RPG
>Groups first time trying anything this anime
>One of the other Maids(players) kept getting really creepy around me
>Eventually followed me into a room and locked the door, then tried to rape me
>It took the GM Fiat of our Master kicking the door down to get him to stop

We kicked him out about a week later, because this was not the first offense of him throwing weird or asinine bullshit at me

There was another game going on at the same time, of Pathfinder, where I was playing an Arcanist, and having to put in WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT to try and make a homunculus. Meanwhile, another player joined and immediately found the shadow dragon egg he'd written into his backstory as something his character was searching for. And I couldn't even get the town's alchemist to let me borrow his shit without going on a multi-day long fetch quest for stupid bullshit.(We were in a colony on the coast of an unexplored continent, I didn't bring an alchemist kit with me, and the only alchemist in town hated me, but he was just fine doing shit for anybody else.)

I'm saving this post. It seems like it could be handy later on.

Wow. That sounds soul-drainingly terrible. Like, "it hurt to read those last two sentences" terrible. I empathize with you; if your group were my PCs:

>you'd be shown a hook, designed to at least interest one party member, but that's it; autonomy of the group must be preserved i.e. you chose to follow or not
>NPCs would, at minimum, have some kind of personality applicable for who they are, not just angry "fuck yous" from a railroading prick
>quests are generated by the PCs and their own goals in life. sure i'll throw something here and there, or reintroduce the forgotten main hook, but say the fighter wants to go find "the perfect blacksmithing anvil" or whatever, boom! there's the quest
>you could remain the bright eyed heroes you wanted to be, not the twisted murderhobo that lurks within us all made manifest

Seriously, GMs who cannot get their heads out of their asses about plot lines and PCs derailing them are my biggest pet peeve. So what if the PCs want to ignore what I present? Let them go do something that they'll enjoy while the world keeps turning. Life goes on without them (but would be better served by them being there). I mean, what's the worse that could happen other than nothing really, unless they pulled the whole "i wanna campaign for social reform while the lich builds his undead army" bit. Then they deserve every last skellington jammed down their progressively large pie holes.

> unless they pulled the whole "i wanna campaign for social reform while the lich builds his undead army" bit. Then they deserve every last skellington jammed down their progressively large pie holes.
Why?

I suppose at that stage I just can't tolerate blatant ignorance like that. I mean, there'd be SIGNS and PORTENTS and SKELETONS BURSTING FROM THE GROUND as tip-offs that shit is getting worse. If they keep ignoring it...well...it's on them? At best, they'd get one final chance to find the MacGuffin and try to fix it all.

The example itself is pulled from an image macro that floats around every so often. Maybe another user has it. It's a decent story for a laugh.

That sounds like the kind of retarded homebrew module you'd find non some dead blog.

But if the players want to play a campaign where they campaign for change in the kingdom, why can't they? Its not as if the lich is actually real. The GM can alter the campaign for them.

If you're particularly lazy, you could even say the lich is just a notorious gaybasher.

>The example itself is pulled from an image macro that floats around every so often. Maybe another user has it. It's a decent story for a laugh.

Lol I just dug through about 3gigs of saved photos on my SD card before giving up the search. Someone else get it. It's good.

This should be printed on the inside cover of the DMG, imho

I have to concede defeat here and admit you both have excellent points.

The only thing stopping me from doing either of those ideas is my own stubborness and contrarianism (pelor damnit guys i told you bha'nelruk the everdying was coming back at 6th level when that madman stood outside your inn all night screaming and again at 15th with THE SAME MADMAN).

If I set up such a blatant hook that will EASILY be seen as vital to the existence of the world (and would have probably gotten the PCs approval before the start through asking if they're ok with a save-the-world plot), then they deserve it. Plain and simple, they deserve their skellington dickings.

>5e game, party has flown their airship to limbo, is attempting to infiltrate a Githzerai monastery.
>Monastery is surrounded by a cloud of psionic energy.
>Eventually the party decides fuck it and flies into the cloud.
>I ask them all for a wisdom save.
>The rogue fails.
>He gets hit with the phantasmal killer spell.
>"Hey rogue, what's your character's greatest fear."
>He goes quiet for a good minute.
>Finally he says "A pile of shoelaces".
>We all stare at him for a moment.
>"Okay then, shoelaces start to pour out of your mouth, take 28 psionic damage. "

He always was a weird one.

They should have stated, out of character, that they really were not interested in the plothook.

They should have asked if they could just focus on this social reform thing to let the DM know that this is what they wanted.

If players do not mention it in the slightest beyond some small talk, and a lich killing kingdoms WILL get some small talk between the players, then it is like they are waiting for it to get personal or get bigger.

so much

Amazing

A friend of mine was playing a bard and started hitting on the barmaid, trying to take her back to his room by serenading her in front of everyone at the bar. That night there was a knock at his door and when he opened, the 6'4" 250lb swarthy barkeep pushed his way in. Two failed persuasion checks later and his character was getting split open like a coconut. I only slightly described the unspeakable acts but it became very consensual very quickly and the whole table had plenty of laughs from the descriptions.

Rapey scenes can be funny if your table is cool. They can be appropriate for plot bullding but should probably not be described in detail. I'm not sure two of my players would be able to take their character being raped seriously, and the two that would, I would never foist that on them. It's unnecessary.

Well, to start it off, I just want to say that our DM warned us he had a weird idea he wanted to run with, and we said sure, let's try it (We had had some great campaigns prior, so we were willing to give him a chance, even when he said we might not enjoy this one, but he wanted to experiment with DMing)

We start off as essentially the equivalent of level 1 NPC classes, real weak. And we're part of this country, Neretar, that's at war. We're reservists in the military that got called up, issued some basic equipment and a bit of training. We get asigned to this elite fort, the sort of place where any one of the regular soldiers training there could probably beat our party of six.

After a bit of trundling around the fort trying to find out what's going on, we learn that it's essentially a shell game. Neretar has some very important noble families, despite being mostly parasites, and one of them managed to request an "elite half squad from fort [name] to guard their manor. We're sent through just long enough so they don't have to send a real elite unit, and we get sent to this manor.

Once we're there, we meet the man we're supposed to be body-guarding, who is in his sitting room, talking with another aristo. Both of them remark how we very much resemble the assistants of another noble of their mutual acquaintance, and our GM takes away our character sheets, hands us much higher leveled ones, and says these will be what we're using for now. We're pitched into the middle of a dungeon (and no indication of how we got in) and told that we have to stop the demon summoning before it's too late!

1/2

2/2

Well, long story short, we have a VERY railroady, story/adventure, where we get clues narrated to us by the two NPCs on the basis of what really happened to these other guys we resemble. That's actually how we find out many of the secret things that we're supposed to have known and are key to our successes. At one point, during an ambush, the two of them are arguing over whether the band of brave heroes were attacked by lizardmen or troglodytes, and our GM keeps switching out the models and their combat stats, every 2-3 rounds or so. We also had this one bizarre dream sequence which addressed stuff going on in our current timeline, and at the very end, get our first glimpse of an NPC who would come to be a major recurring character, but that's another story entirely.

The worst part about it, though? The GM took offense any time we tried to make suggestions. After the first session, I gave him a bunch of resources to read and even bookmarked some articles that could help him out.

He didn't touch any of it and got upset because I was "patronizing" him. This is after his first session where he asked for open criticism.

Got you up pal

Huh

That's kind of the artsy/experimentalism kind of thing it seems like a forever gm could easily fall into after one too many generic dungeon crawls.

see

>DM is my gf's sister
>playing a fairly classic sort of Paladin archetype hero
>she starts pushing a political aspect to the game, okay, sure, whatever, we were getting too big for dungeon crawls anyway
>Paladin is nobility because of old noble bloodline but minor house in present day
>NPC princess takes a shine to Paladin, becomes patron, he becomes knightly champion at king's behest, apparently she's a bit impetuous and flighty but "just needs someone to keep her on a straight path"
>gf laughs it off when discussing game, says not to worry
>keeps trying to corner me at court and stay close by, always close by whenever party is in town
>asks me to shift rooms closer to hers in case she's attacked during the night (technically true, there was an assassination plot), seems disappointed when I move entire party and refuse the room with a door that adjoins her suite of rooms
>feels like she wants to ERP
>wound up leaving the group eventually, but mostly because of work getting hectic and no longer having time for game night

Sometimes I wonder. But I've known that girl since she was 10. Was a bit creepy, she's practically a surrogate sister.

It could have been a feeler attempt to see if you liked her, and considering your gf's attitude they might have been playing the long game to get you into a threesome.

I remember a series of screencaps/threads about a group whose games routinely devolved to sex. Masturbation for each other, blowjobs, a couple penetrative acts.

Not sure if true, but it was both weird and hot.

The only way to get out of prison is to suck dick. It's the only reasonable answer user.

Since when does PF have Nazi Commies?

Possibly, though it could also have been a strictly in game fantasy play on her part just for the satisfaction of having it happen in play as opposed to reading about it.

I would not be particularly surprised if you were correct though.

The gang got molested by a Chadra Fan.

That looks pathfindery to me but I know of no pathfinder books for WW1 / 2 / Cold War stuff.

During one of the last parts of the Reign of Winter path adventure, PGs are sent to WW1 russia to find Rasputin for Baba Yaga.

Please tell me they have all kinds of stat blocks and shit because I would LOVE some fucking WW1 rules for pathfinder.

Not actually my group, I've just saved the screencap.

Well, he was definitely our forever GM, but we only had one real "dungeon crawl", most of his campaigns (brilliant ones, I might add) were either a lot of investigation and intrigue, or some sort of hard choice we had to make that involved huge repurcussions everywhere. I mean there was fighting, to be sure, but most of the time it was relatively open and interlaced with a lot of friendly NPC interaction. The one we had immediately before that, I'm pretty sure we spent more time exploring and trying to figure out where we were, and interacting with friendly NPCs than we did in combat, it really didn't have all that much.

But yes, he did say he was experimenting, and I'm not sure what were the impulses behind it. Guy was a genius though, so I don't want to try to chart out his thought processes too much.

Because that's not the campaign they signed up for. They signed up for a campaign that's about defeating a lich. Want a different campaign? Talk with the GM like fucking adults or find someone else to GM for you.

Hit Points

Actually, I just want to amend that statement slightly. He wasn't ForeverGM in the sense that he was always the GM at our table. He usually alternated with another guy, Adam.

The thing is, when Adam was running something, he wouldn't play, he would be planning out his next campaign, and he would put a lot of work into these things; so every time he interacted with us he would be GMing. Not quite surei f that counts as foreverGM or not.

When you agree to play a game with a GM, you agree to play within the context of the story he wants to run. Do whatever you want within the context of his game, but actually play the story he agreed to run.

My character turned into a female centaur to let the barbarian chieftess have a ride, since mounts were scarce in our setting. She started fondling my character's chest while riding around the courtyard. I didn't much care since that was the whole point, keikaku doori but the rest of the group barring the GM were understandably a little weirded out.

Were you playing It's Always Sunny on Yavin 4?

I'm honestly impressed by the fact that the soldiers have period accurate gas masks.
Guns aren't, but that's akready a nice effort.

Good old "fade to black".
And for aftermath and having to role play victim, well your PC can also be a victim of worse torture or mutilation ending in being cripple, also unpleasant.

To maintain grittiness you don't have to go into detail of horrible acts, saying that something happens may be as good.

Essentially, yes.

Noice.

One time I was fucking a prostitute in our campaign and my friends (chaotic evil) were just like "Fuck it, lets rob this bar!" and they got fucking destroyed by the Half-Orc bouncer, so one of them had to crawl over and break down the door to my room with his warhammer, and I had to fight a 8 foot tall half-orc with my cock flopping about.

Had a character get dosed with an aphrodisiac in what was otherwise a vanilla game.

Good story.

Glad you aren't my GM. You sound like a complete fucktard.

This.
Don't be a faggot. If she's hot now, get that threesome.

Wasn't that the one of that one cuck who started dating some slut at an ERP game and then watch his friend fuck her in the ass.

And I'm glad you're not my PC. You sound like an ingrate.

This sounds like a whizbang campaign. You are a very lucky person.

Rape isn't fun

For some reason I thought the filters were canteens filled with vodka

5th book in Winter Witch AP, Rasputin Must Die where you travel to earth 1918 to, well, kill Rasputin.

Never heard of Paizo before?

Oh, I know. And it was neat, as hell, and had some great mechanical balance, although I think it was one of his weaker campaigns. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but he came up with some absolutely fucking amazing stuff, and "whizbang" comes in below average for him.

>making a plot so that you can go on /the/ and talk about how you "totally owned some sjws" or something
>"i-it's what muh setting would do..."

tried playing RIFTS when I was 9
no idea what was going on

Veeky Forums Pass user since October 2016.

W-what would I search for to find them?

Catan

It's the Game Master's game. He's choosing not to play to enable you guys to play his game. If he likes where the players are going, he will permit it. If he doesn't, he had every right to say "I am not running a game where you guys run a kobold brothel" right when you started down that path, and he still holds that right when he sends paladins after you. Sure there's being an asshole railroading GM, but there's also being a doormat, and a good GM should be neither.

Yes, absolutely.
d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms

>I suppose at that stage I just can't tolerate blatant ignorance like that. I mean, there'd be SIGNS and PORTENTS and SKELETONS BURSTING FROM THE GROUND as tip-offs that shit is getting worse. If they keep ignoring it...well...it's on them?
A reasonable GM would just scrap his plot or maybe have it be something like.
>Gay marriage and shit
>Oh no skeletons
>Now you have to help defend the new republic you founded from the lich
The whole post just makes it seem like the DM was butthurt that they didn't want to follow his genetic kill the lich quest.

Ultimately however, a game is a cooperative action between each individual player, the GM, and each other individual player. If the players want to do something different that the GM doesn't want than the players should either bite the bullet or find a different game. Likewise if the players want to play a campaign you don't want to run the GM is well within their rights to say "No, I'm not running that campaign." If the DM really hated the campaign idea he should have forced the players back onto the rails or told them to find a new DM. However the post implies that everyone, the DM included enjoyed the campaign but the DM just decided to be a dick and give everyone a big fuck you for no real reason.

Because the party needs to be free to start a halfling harem and topple a royal family to seize the power to establish said harem at the expense of the DM's story, when they asked if you were interested in playing a game where you need to stop the Fabled Dread Dragon from destroying the kingdom.

As the flames of her maw cover the land in fire, you stand among scantily clad tiny women and wave your arms in the air, inarticulately screeching with rage.

Because you won't come out to your DM with what you want to do, just agree with what they say about the story and then ignore it. You are the worst kind of player. I'd rather a minmaxing asshole than you; someone who ruins every combat encounter with OP moves or builds, because then at least the party would end up fulfilling the story they agreed that they wanted to play, and there would still be NPC interaction and puzzles and skill checks for the rest.

There was this time when I made a character that was a wizard/fighter and was based on the Red Mage class from final fantasy. He tried to master as many schools of magic as he could, as well as the sword. We also had a female elven ranger, that was often hitting on male npcs to try to weasel out of doing things she was supposed to. She tried that once with a bard npc, and he actually tried to rape her, but it was in a super humorous way. It basically wound up with him, nude, chasing her benny hill style through the castle we were staying in. My character was studying at the time and heard a frantic knock at the door. The ranger explained everything and my character was all "All right, I'll take care of this" and stood in the doorway with arms crossed. Guy comes running down the hallway dick in hand, and stops in front of me. I said something like "Alright, guy. If you mess with her, you mess with me. And you don't want to mess with me."
His response was "OHHH. You want in too?" with a giant fucking grin.
My character slammed the door shut, eyes wide open, and started pushing furniture to block the door.

GM in that green text story didn't say "I don't like this idea, I'm not going to do it", he went along with it until the very end so that he could say "lol gay marriage got OWNED by zombies".

Hey, guess what, the players in that story seem to have clearly indicated that they had other thoughts about what kind of story they would like, and the GM still seems to have wanted to give them a last minute bit of bullshit because he wanted a gotcha! moment, even though it was all by his arbitrary fiat.

>mu-muh setting...

>give everyone a big fuck you for no real reason.
I'm pretty sure the reason they got fucked by the lich is because they ignored the lich. there's consequences to letting evil go unchecked.

>muh setting

>Hey guys, want to play a game of D&D
>Sure!
>Yeah, sounds good.
>I'm in.
>Alright, well I was thinking of you saving the kingdom from a great evil. A powerful lich lies behind his army of the undead, summoning a dark power to raise all the dead and wipe the land clean of mortal life. So... what do you think?

Regular players:
>Cool! Sounds fun!
>We are actually genuinely interested
>Plays the campaign, defeats the Lich

Those players:
>Cool! Sounds fun!
>We're agreeing but only because we don't actually care about any of that, we just want to sandbox
>Completely ignores main plot in favour of doing their own thing

You:
>I have other thoughts about what kind of story I'd like. Insert your bullshit you want instead.
>GM: I don't like this idea, I'm not going to do it.
>You're on Veeky Forums because no one likes to play with someone like you who loves to take the game off the rails so you can play at something else entirely

Maybe try a game with this DM.

>things already established should be retconned

A dragon doesn't won't be any less willing to eat you just because you want to ignore it's existence. A lich isn't going to sit back and wait for you to finish what you want to do before trying to enact his plan. A vampire isn't going to stop drinking people's blood just because you aren't around to oppose him. If you walk into a room with a beholder, it's not going to vanish because you'd rather check every brick on the walls for secret levers first.

Go step on some d4s.

Look at how the DM didn't object at all and actually went along with it so that they could have their arbitrary fiat gotcha moment. It's the equivalent of saying "rocks fall, everybody dies" and thinking you're really clever.

I think, but he was fucking her too and it was a libertine arrangement, so no cucking technically happened.
user, I wish I remembered.

Okay, listen. You're playing a game with a party of people. You're off trying to seduce a noble so you can marry into power, so your next character in the campaign can be the son of a noble, lol.
You joined this game because you heard it was going to be about stopping the Demon Lord, a new threat to the world. The DM started the campaign about a month ago, and you've had four sessions so far. In game, it's been about a week. Two sessions ago you heard about Orgoz the Eater, a demon that appeared in the town of Smalton. You brush it off, because whatever, demon, pfft. Got nothing to do with that Demon Lord or whatever. Besides, the party is all into making heir babies too, or whatever.

Now, should the DM just throw out all the preparation for the Demon Lord campaign and redo everything for Medieval Baby Maker RPG? Should the DM gently nudge the party back onto the rails with an urgent plea for help to the Noble being wooed, requesting aid against Orgoz the Eater, since he finished eating Smalton and is headed for Biggerton? Or should the DM try to throw you forcibly onto the rails by having Orgoz show up and eat the target of your affections? Or maybe they should talk to everyone out of character, before the next session, and ask whether they want to continue with MBMRPG or their Demon Lord Campaign?

The answer?
>muh setting

Because you're mentally incapable of discussing this topic. You just want to make a snide joke and feel better about yourself.

Except they knew from the very beginning that the rocks would be falling. They had plenty of time to avoid the rocks, but decided to stand right under them jacking off instead.

You must be one of the special snowflakes from said game, I don't see why else you would be so ass blasted about it. If you stand on the railroad tracks and decide to turn away from the train coming right for you, you're still going to get run over, and it would be no one's fault but your own.

inb4 his only reply is
>muh setting
again. because settings are over-rated and unneeded in rpgs or something /sarcasm

I've played a game of Triune Legacy with some shit players, including my own brother, whose character concept was murderous college student with weeabo knives bought on eBay, and a guy who literally played an illuminati/lizard person(they're a race that has controlled the entire world since they made humans of clay) whose society standing was a hobo, job was a magical inquisitor, and magic that was based in shadow.

We were on the trail of missing persons. We had discovered very early on, several warehouses linked to the kidnappings. Hitting them, we learned where we could find a cult base. From the cult base, we learned where the captives where taken from there, a mansion.

Now, as a PI character, I kept telling the party, the longer a person is missing, the less likely they'll be found alive. When the game started it was a week to the full moon. But after every warehouse, four of the five which we hit, we would take a full 24 hours to rest. I suggested we maybe blitz the warehouses, since the opposition had been so light, and I reminded them, time was a factor. "Nah, the important thing won't happen until we get to it" I was assured. It won't matter, they said.
We hit the cultist base on the fifth day, after we had messed around with the first four warehouses. We helped one of the captives escape, one of the illumizard people, and they helped us fight our way out with the information of where the mansion was. "Let's go now, before the full moon!" The character whose job it was to find missing persons before they took this job to find missing persons. "Nah, we got time!"

On the sixth day, we went to a nightclub, had a bizarre sequence, and then went home, instead of carrying on from there to the Mansion. So on the night of the full moon, we met to plan outside the mansion.
1/2

Look at all these made-up details! By the reckoning of the story, they had only just started. Why do you assume everyone was really gung-ho about the lich thing until the derailing detail came up; since the story indicates that the first questions asked were about the setting, it could be that everyone rolled up characters up to session 1, upon which time the DM started working out details with the party and they decided they wanted to do something else with the setting.

Now, if there was anything to indicate that the DM was opposed to this turn of events, point it out, because the DM indicated that he was all along for the ride, probably just so he can get in his gotcha moment. If there was anything indicating that the DM was trying to get them back in track at any time other than the very first, point it out, because it looks like the DM wanted to build up to this gotcha moment with his "clever" line.

In building up to this clever moment, the DM gave them no chance to deal with this new consequence, with many possibly paths to explore. How does the new democracy handle this existential crisis? How will it conduct war when the traditional war-making caste is gone? Perhaps the gay couples, invested in a new way in the nation, enlist en masse in a new fighting unit. But, alas, the DM's clever gotcha moment was more important. Consider , for example, the anger that people feel when the DM goes after characters in the players' backstories to "create drama" with no way for the players to prevent it when it is mebtioned, but the DM justifies it by saying "well, you knew that the BBEG knew who you are, you should have taken steps to protect your loved ones!" Or even more simply, consider when the DM puts you in a no-save, just die situation of any kind.

It is
>m-muh setting

Because you think having a backstory or even just DM fiat gives you the wherewithal to be an ass at the table, like how the edgy player at the table uses their backstory to be an ass.

We wasted the first two hours of the session in argument over tactics and strategy. I was all for anything to get into the place and get going, but no one wanted to just go for it, they wanted to discuss how best to do it, and we wound up with a split party of myself, the illumizards(one of which was a illuminati cop who was actually being serious, wielding two shields as weapons and shields, their magic manifested as shields and bubbles, and could adjust what they let in and out accordingly), and the only other character who could use a firearm.

Team melee went in for the front gate, and managed to spook their guards into fleeing the mansion with Ring-like psychic horror from the murderous college student. We took the backyard, and after a total shitshow the shadow caster literally made the shadows bleed and the ground wound up unhallowed and cursed. But that's another story.

So rushing upstairs, searching for the missing people, we arrive in the top floor ballroom, converted into some fucked up magic circle/torture chamber/ritual sacrifice. Using a blood red diamond for a focus, the villain triumphantly cast his spell, set in motion the seeds of an apocalypse, and killed anyone who was mortal and hooked into his circle.

We saved the missing persons we needed, since they were illumizards, but all the rest died. In a room of 66 people, 6 survived because they were the necessary lizard people needed to serve as focuses.

Because we wasted two days on un-needed warehouse searching, because we didn't press on when we were mostly unscathed, because they didn't think the DM would really enforce a time-limit on a time specific ritual sacrifice, these people died. The DM sadly told me I recognized several faces; As a private eye in a bad part of town, I knew a waitress, a burglar, three hobos, a hooker, and a junkie.

The campaign largely fizzled after the next session because a player and the DM had a serious falling out unrelated to the game.

(cont.)
But because you want the "clever" DM gotcha moment against the sjws so much, you're willing to ignore what it is: DM fiat at its very worst.

This is obviously a different case, because not only was the DM giving hints about a time limit regularly, a player was going with it as well, and the players are given chances all throughout and after to prevent or mitigate the effects of thr setting. Whereas the green text story has it so the rocks fall, everyone dies moment occurs juuust when the law that so offended the DM is signed, as if to make a point, and the campaign ends there without a chance for the players to try and stop what is occurring from continuing. Gotcha!

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I didn't propose or question anything about the story itself, I simply made an example of your reaction based on your opinions, and how I'd get you to get back to the main quest. That yes, the campaign starts with the evil Demon lord, and his evil plan, and you need to stop him, and what happens when you ignore it. You in this case could take a number of options I listed, from reacting to the news of Orgoz the Eater, to talking to your DM about campaign direction, since you'd want to retcon Orgoz and the Demon Lord since you prefer your special stories.

Instead, you go on a tangent about new consequences for dealing with, gee, what appears to have been an evil ritual for ultimate power. Generally you need to stop the BBEG before he wipes life off the world, not after. I mean, right there, an age of eternal darkness and an unsleeping undead army. I mean, if the lich had been planning on blowing up the sun and annihilating the planet, then you couldn't argue "Where from here?" once the dead of the world have risen to snuff em all out, because the world would have just been gone. You're tiredly arguing semantics when I'm asking, what could the DM have done to reassert the campaign?

Straight up, everyone dying because they ignored the threat was kind of funny, in a dick way. But as a DM, my options would have been:
>Lure them back into action with Orgoz
>Have the Noble request they deal with Orgoz, so that the player goal is advanced by the story goal
>Have a demon named Orgoz the Eater show up and eat the Noble, making it a revenge thing
>Talk to the players out of the game and arrange things to their satisfaction
A) By retconning it into their vision
B) By nerfing Orgoz and the Demon Lord and having them as a side quest to advance their primary motivation
C) Telling the ungrateful fucks to get out of my house and keep their feet off the coffee table, the animals

Six options

>and the campaign ends there without a chance for the players to try and stop what is occurring from continuing.
You mean besides all the chances they had during the sessions leading up to it? If they were told what was going to happen in the very beginning, he doesn't need to keep reminding them. They should know that a clock doesn't stop ticking just because they aren't looking at it. You're getting awfully butthurt over this.

>DM never told us about a time limit
>DM never had questgivers give us a time limit, other than as soon as possible
>DM only pulled back the "Veil" (magic) in our second session, our second day
>DM only had an NPC bring up ritual magic when asked about why someone would need people to cast a spell
>DM only told us about the full moon when we asked about it in game
>DM had an NPC tell us that full moons are the best for ritual magic only specifically after my character asked about the significance of the full moon

As to the whole mitigate the effect idea, we got a new player, and she only joined us in game after her character had visions of rains of blood, fire from the sky, and a great demon rising. We had no clues or leads on any possible solutions before the game ended permanently.

You're too in love with yourself, dude.