/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

War Elephant Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/file/l89833jkw643x3u/Osprey - CAM 007 - Alexander 334-323BC.pdf
mediafire.com/file/1cwhkfsggz24ka2/Osprey - ELI 042 - The Persian Army 560-330BC.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p5tszfntd0bpubt/Osprey - MAA 148 - The Army of Alexander the Great.pdf
mediafire.com/file/uw529mhs1hug3ab/Osprey - NVA 150 - War Elephants.pdf
mediafire.com/file/rv7s77djdiajs48/Osprey - WAR 103 - Macedonian Warrior.pdf
strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=266&M=F
strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=268&M=F
strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=267&M=M
mediafire.com/file/bi5yzqc67f6h2jg/summer2016special.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

.>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Kings of War Historical

1st October in military history:

331 BC – Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of Gaugamela.
1787 – Russians under Alexander Suvorov defeat the Turks at Kinburn.
1795 – Belgium is conquered by France.
1814 – Opening of the Congress of Vienna, intended to redraw Europe's political map after the defeat of Napoleon the previous spring.
1827 – Russo-Persian War: The Russian army under Ivan Paskevich storms Yerevan, ending a millennium of Muslim domination of Armenia.
1887 – Balochistan is conquered by the British Empire.
1918 – World War I: Arab forces under T. E. Lawrence, also known as "Lawrence of Arabia", capture Damascus.
1938 – Germany annexes the Sudetenland.
1939 – After a one-month Siege of Warsaw, German forces enter the city.
1943 – World War II: Naples falls to Allied soldiers.
1947 – The North American F-86 Sabre flies for the first time.
1961 – The United States Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) is formed, becoming the country's first centralized military espionage organization.
1985 – The Israeli Air Force bombs Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) headquarters in Tunis.
1991 – The Siege of Dubrovnik begins.

It is 2,347 years since the Battle of Gaugamela (also called the Battle of Arbela), which was the decisive battle of Alexander the Great's invasion of the Persian Achaemenid Empire. Alexander's army of the Hellenic League met the Persian army of Darius III near Gaugamela, close to the modern city of Dohuk (Iraqi Kurdistan). Even though heavily outnumbered, Alexander emerged victorious due to his army's superior tactics and his deft employment of light infantry. It was a decisive victory for the Hellenic League and led to the fall of the Achaemenid Empire.

Having beaten the Persians at Issus in 333 BC, Alexander the Great moved to secure his hold on Syria, the Mediterranean coast, and Egypt. Having completed these efforts, he again looked east with the goal of toppling Darius III's Persian Empire. Marching into Syria, Alexander crossed the Euphrates and Tigris without opposition in 331. Desperate to halt the Macedonian advance, Darius scoured his empire for resources and men. Gathering them near Arbela, he chose a wide plain for the battlefield as he felt that it would facilitate the use of his chariots and elephants, as well as would allow his greater numbers to bear.

Advancing to within four miles of the Persian position, Alexander made camp and met with his commanders. In the course of the talks, Parmenion suggested that the army launch a night attack on the Persians as Darius' host outnumbered them. This was dismissed by Alexander as the plan of an ordinary general and he instead outlined an attack for the next day. His decision proved correct as Darius had anticipated a nighttime assault and kept his men awake through the night in anticipation. Moving out the next morning, Alexander arrived on the field and deployed his infantry in to two phalanxes, one in front of the other.

On the right of the front phalanx was Alexander's Companion cavalry along with additional light infantry. To the left, Parmenion led additional cavalry and light infantry. Supporting this front line were cavalry and light infantry units which were echeloned back at 45 degree angles. In the coming fight, Parmenion was to lead the left in a holding action while Alexander led the right in striking a battle-winning blow. Across the field, Darius deployed the bulk of his infantry in a long line, with his cavalry to the front.

In the center, he surrounded himself with his best cavalry along with the famed Immortals. Having chosen the ground to facilitate the use of his scythed chariots, he ordered these units placed at the front of the army. Command of the left flank was given to Bessus, while the right was assigned to Mazaeus. Due to the size of the Persian army, Alexander anticipated that Darius would be able to flank his men as they advanced. To counter this, orders were issued that the second Macedonian line should counter any flanking units as the situation dictated.

With his men in place, Alexander ordered an advance on the Persian line with his men moving obliquely to the right as they marched forward. As the Macedonians neared the enemy, he began extending his right with the goal of drawing the Persian cavalry in that direction and creating a gap between them and Darius' center. With the enemy bearing down, Darius attacked with his chariots. These raced forward but were defeated by Macedonian javelins, archers, and new infantry tactics designed to lessen their impact. The Persian elephants also had little effect as the massive animals moved to avoid the enemy spears.

As the lead phalanx engaged the Persian infantry, Alexander focused his attention on the far right. Here he began pulling men from his rearguard to continue the fight on the flank, while he disengaged his Companions and gathered other units to strike Darius' position.

Advancing with his men forming a wedge, Alexander angled left toward the flank of Darius' center. Supported by peltasts (light infantry with slings and bows) which kept the Persian cavalry at bay, Alexander's cavalry rode down on the Persian line as a gap opened between Darius and Bessus' men.

Striking through the gap, the Macedonians shattered Darius' royal guard and adjacent formations. With the troops in the immediate area retreating, Darius fled the field and was followed by the bulk of his army. Cut off on the Persian left, Bessus began withdrawing with his men. With Darius fleeing before him, Alexander was prevented from pursuing due to desperate messages for aid from Parmenion. Under heavy pressure from Mazaeus, Parmenion's right had become separated from the rest of the Macedonian army. Exploiting this gap, Persian cavalry units passed through the Macedonian line.

Fortunately for Parmenion, these forces elected to continue on to loot the Macedonian camp rather than attack his rear. While Alexander circled back to aid the Macedonian left, Parmenion turned the tide and succeeded in driving back Mazaeus' men who fled the field. He also was able to direct troops to clear the Persian cavalry from the rear.

As with most battles from this period, casualties for Gaugamela are not known with any certainty though sources indicate that Macedonian losses may have been around 4,000 while Persian losses may have been as high as 47,000. In the wake of the fighting, Alexander pursued Darius while Parmenion rounded up the riches of the Persian baggage train. Darius succeeded in escaping to Ecbatana and Alexander turned south capturing Babylon, Susa, and the Persian capital of Persepolis. Within a year, the Persians turned on Darius and conspirators led by Bessus killed him. With Darius' death, Alexander considered himself the rightful ruler of the Persian Empire and began campaigning to eliminate the threat posed by Bessus.

Before the battle the Persian war elephants made such an impression on the Macedonian troops that Alexander felt the need to sacrifice to the God of Fear - but according to some sources the elephants ultimately failed to deploy in the final battle owing to their long march the day before. Alexander was deeply impressed by the enemy elephants and took these first fifteen into his own army, adding to their number during his capture of the rest of Persia.

Gaugamela is one of the greatest battles of antiquity, and an essential "must-play" for the ancient wargamer. The Persians have the numbers and a staggering variety of troops, while the Alexandrine forces have their mobility and their commander's genius. There's no terrain to complicate things; it's a battle of manoeurve where generalship and troop quality decides the day.

mediafire.com/file/l89833jkw643x3u/Osprey - CAM 007 - Alexander 334-323BC.pdf
mediafire.com/file/1cwhkfsggz24ka2/Osprey - ELI 042 - The Persian Army 560-330BC.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p5tszfntd0bpubt/Osprey - MAA 148 - The Army of Alexander the Great.pdf
mediafire.com/file/uw529mhs1hug3ab/Osprey - NVA 150 - War Elephants.pdf
mediafire.com/file/rv7s77djdiajs48/Osprey - WAR 103 - Macedonian Warrior.pdf

>F-86

I still don't know if this or the P-51 is the more horrendously overrated fighter.

The ME-262.

eh, I wouldn't call the Schwalbe overrated. More like a design that never really got a chance to shine.

I just hear so much P-51 WUN DA WAR shit.

I mean as far as maintenance and reliability it was freaking atrocious.

But I can't write down how many people I hear say GERMANS HAD BEST FIRST JET, IF HAD IN 1941 THEY WOULD WIN WAR! HOW COME ALLIES DON'T JET?!

Because Meteors and P-80s don't real apparently.

By the standards of its contemporaries it was mediocre, but is much more popular because Germany was desperate enough to press them into service.

At least the P-51 was comparable to its contemporaries and fairly competent. Not the best plane, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that it had glaring flaws like the ME-262.

>but you'd be hard pressed to argue that it had glaring flaws like the ME-262.

High wing loading, notoriously prone to deep stalls, filling the tanks all the way completely screwed the center of gravity, armament in the wings instead of in the centerline, no cannons, generally tricky to fly well...

The P-51 was not a particularly good plane overall. It owes its kill record largely to the actions of heavily tried pilots engaging badly trained opponents while also outnumbering them. Most of its opponents could easily outmaneuver and outhandle it, and usually had superior firepower to boot. But the best plane in the world can't make up for shit pilots or being outnumbered 10 to 1.

*heavily TRAINED pilots, that is.

How is your non-combatant project coming along, for those of you working on it?

Happy birthday Veeky Forums. You're finally a teenager.

Not at all. The civilians were too expensive to buy so I just said fuck it.

Yeah people tend to forget that air combat is mostly dependent on the pilots themselves. You can have the best aircraft in the world, but if you dont know how to fly or how to use E against your opponent, you will be shot down by an average pilot in a below average aircraft.

Got the minis but haven't had a chance to do anything with them. I've got to travel for work next week so no progress for the near future either.

When's it due?

Not meaning to restart the shitflinging from last thread but I'm considering to start up a Bolt Action army. I want a big, fat and good tank I can base my army around.
Which army has the best big tank?

>I want a big, fat and good tank I can base my army around.

big fat tanks in Bolt Action are not good. They are expensive in points and usually can't do all that much.

If you need to have a heavy tank as center of your army, simply pick the one you like the most they all perform nearly similar.

My choice would be a KV-2, just because it looks great.

In the end a T-34/76 or 85 or Pz III or IV are better choices.

I should find my pilgrims and make some camp followers for my Napoleonic French army...sadly I was a lazy fuck and didn't do the previous group project.

Seconding my request for WW1 German rifle and sturm platoon organization, couldn't find anything since then.

IS-2 Tank. Since you don't seem to care about historical accuracy go with the IS-2 since it's the best tank in BA.

Doesn't seem to have been very popular compared to previous months.

Why not play a game that focuses on combined arms with more than 1 tank instead of infantry? Battlegroup, Flames of War, Ostfront...

There's some really great games out there that let you use whatever tank/s you want and still be balanced.

I don't participate because i don't have a fitting miniature at hand and can't justify buying one this month either

Which is why it's bloody important to get your good pilots out of combat and teaching the newbies.

I made a sheepherd with some sheep on a little base, pretty happy about it.

Fucking garbage m8.

I can't paint skin for shit. I need to invest in new paints and brushes.

Really though, life has just been a ball ache this month.

How did you go about painting that skin? It looks like you have just tried to paint fleshtone straight over black?

Yeah, before I've tried to work up from brown with equally poor results, so this time I thought I'd just slap some down and ink it later, but the paint either has poor coverage or is too dry.

This is how I do skin

>Brown over black basecoat (mournfang brown)
>dark skintone (cadian flesh)
>brown wash ( agrax earthshade)
>dark skintone again but don't paint the recesses and heavily shaded parts
>lighter skintone (kislev flesh) highlight cheeks, nose, chin, rims of the ears
>even lighter skintone (kislev flesh mixed with valejo light flesh) highlight even smaller parts of the previously highlighted buts

And done! I need to paint some more meditareanen types in the comming months, anybody know how to paint that skintype?

post results please? sounds good.

>build miniatures
>plan how to paint them
>realize i need paint x and paint y
>order them
>stuff arrives

>5 days later
>no mini painted

W-Why ;_;

Churs bro, I'll buy the paints soon.

I need to paint the Indians again soon. Any suggestions?

If it's suggestions for Indian skin you want I can tell you how I do mine:
>Dark brown over black undercoat (Rhinox Hide)
>1:1 mix of Mid brown with dark brown (Skrag Brown into Rhinox Hide
>Pure Mid Brown
>mid brown mixed with medium skintone (Skrag brown with cadian fleshtone) The ratio is a not strict here.
>if you had a primarily brown mix in the last step, mix some more mid flesh tone in, to about 75% fleshtone, and highlight with this, this is a "darker" indian, if you had a primarily fleshtone mix in the last step highlight with pure fleshtone for a "lighter" indian, this gives some variation to the army.

I painted the same Perry civilians as you and posted in the last thread (or maybe two threads ago) and they start with a very thin coat of screamer pink (the same colour I use as the base for the purple clothes in pic related) followed by the mid brown mixed with this pink. You couldn't see it in the pictures but this means the depths of the facial features etc have a purply hue rather than dark brown, which I quite like. obviously hightlighting comes all the way up to light fleshtones (kislev flesh/elf flesh or whatever).

you tell us?

> V&V release new Saxons
> They're very pretty
> Check scale
> 40mm

y tho

anyone have he congo rules? Not after a scan but do need to know what the unit choices/limits are for white men as i'm ordering the book at the same time as the minis.

Hello, captains! I am very interesting in some book about british armed merchant (or auxilliary cruiser, whatever) in WW2. May you help me, plz?

for some kind of fun viking skirmish game?

Also any lad want to wade in with basing recommendations?

At the moment I use warlord lipped bases and cover over the metal base with greenstuff but i'm finding this is too time-intensive, i'm thinking texture paint or something but have no clue, i'm UK based.

Polyfilla

I use Penny's with PVA & a bird grit mix.

> Pendraken recently released a 10mm 19th century marching band

AHA TIME FOR TINY TOOTS

They're clearly, uh, 28mm ogres. Small giants. Whatever.

Buy them.

Pictures make it look a lot shittier than it looks when you are holding it.

If you want to make it look like the real mini, shrink it down in your browser to 30-25%

Plus white background plus decent lighting.

Yeah I know, I am the dutch guy duming Naval and English Waterloo army here but I don't have the time today to do it properly

Brother is getting married tomorrow

have some 6mm building as compensation.

>Posting images of models you are holding
Stopping this is stage one on the road to good photos.

They'd be perfect for some kind of Viking dueling game or maybe a variant of Pig Wars

It seems like the only books I can find are all on Axis auxiliary cruisers.

If only you'd read my the post right above yours, that guy wanted to see how it looked, the sooner the better I geuss, so I took some quick photos because I don't have the time to set things up properly today

Shit, forgot my image here.

I'd advise changing the colour of the water. Little puddles like that are usually not blue.

Och laddie tas a'wee Scottish poond

depends on the color of the sky. water is never actually blue

Wee Scottish ponds are usually almost clear anyway

I think I read somewhere that if you got a very big white tub and put water in it it would be very slightly blue.

>Raleigh scattering: how does it work?

But that's more or less how all objects get their colour, by absorbing/scattering certain frequencies of light.

If Rayleigh Scattering means water isn't blue then it also means that the sky isn't blue.

Strelets will release some big boxes soon for dark age in 1:72. If anyone wants to get into SAGA cheaply, 20GBP will give you more than 6 points - maybe you'll need some extra archers, that can be supplied from either the Norman Archers set, or some metal manufacturers.

strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=266&M=F

strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=268&M=F

strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=267&M=M

Not every included figure is pictured, each boxes will contain some already released sprues. I think they listed it on their forum.

Got TFL's 2016 Summer Special and thought I'd share it.

Remember to consider buying your own copy if you like it - it's not super expensive and TFL are cool dudes who deserve support.

mediafire.com/file/bi5yzqc67f6h2jg/summer2016special.pdf

Fantastic, thanks user

In the very most basic sense, yes, but some material only get color from how they reflect/refect light, others have color based on crystal/molecular structure, type of bonding etc. Red feather will fade over time because color is due to their pigment whereas blue will not because color is due to physics

>Finish SU-85 I've been working on for 5 days
>Final matt varnish coat cracks up when drying
WHY
WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Because you won't stop touching yourself.

Is that the victrix elephant?

It's purty

Get a hygrometer. A cheap one from China is like $3. Don't attempt varnish if the humidity in your workspace is very high or low.

You *might* be able to salvage it by spraying with a gloss finish then reapplying the matte though it won't be presentation quality it should look somewhat better. Worth trying at least if the alternative is stripping.

Never had an issue with it in the past, as I'm using airbrush applied polyurethane varnish. I've tested that stuff in the height of summer and in winter, and never had it happen before. I think that it must've been a residual coat of something I used previously reacting with it, if I'm honest. I've just finished up with the final wear (I apply pencil graphite for worn metal after varnish so it retains the shine) and the varnish coat is only really noticeable if you look for it. Maybe one day I'll try fixing it, but today is not that day.

Or just brush the varnish on. It might be annoying, but if the weather won't allow spraying its better than doing nothing.

>You *might* be able to salvage it by spraying with a gloss finish then reapplying the matte

Either this, or applying a small amount of white spirit on the affected area and rubbing a little bit with a q-tip. (not to much so only the varnish is affected). Then re-apply matte.

Crappy photo related; I'll try to get a better one tomorrow morning when the light is nicer.

Holy shit my phone's camera actually sucks. You can't really see it in that image at all, but it's mostly around the external fuel tanks and the gun mounting bolts.

>airbrush applied polyurethane varnish

I hope you're wearing an organic vapor respirator!

organic as it gets.
I open the window and hold my breath

Please leave your toy soldiers and grogbooks to me in your will.

>dude plays bolt action
>american army
>all his models for regular and veteran infantry are white
>all his models for inexperienced infantry are black

What wargames are best for modeling the Spanish Tercio?

Early or Late?

Am sure there's a suitably specialist game I don't know of that covers Tercio based fights exclusively.Probably in something like 2/3/6mm so you can get the massive units and still have room to use them as a single entity.

Early-ish. Early-mid 16th century.

looks fine man. Soviet tanks can look crusty and shitty, its not an issue.

Yeah I'll be honest that's probably a better paint job than most real Soviet tanks had out of the factory.

LAV-75

UAZ

There's a real dearth of good strategic-level miniature wargames for the 16th century, which always bothered me as a fan of Elizabethan England and the Eighty Years' War. But most pike and shot systems will cover Spanish practices of the era, in their own abstracted ways. I know it didn't work well in DBR, historical formations actually tended to be sub-optimal in that because of its clunky rules.

I was once told to check out something called
Warfare in the Age of Discovery but I've never been able to find a copy, pdf or otherwise.

just got powercucked in bolt action by an all cavalry warlord chinese army lads

What's your opinion on Foundry's Rules with no Name, the paid version? Is it worth it, compared to free one?

who were you playing as

Edition 1 or 2?

how.... is that even a thing? cavalry should get wrecked by LMGs, and any decent WW2 equipment/vehicles when did the Chinese even use cavalry in WW2? from what I've read they mostly used infantry and small caliber AT guns.

Is there even a list for that? I don't see them in my France and the Allies book.

>when did the Chinese even use cavalry in WW2?

Cavalry provided a major element in the Chinese armies of 1937-1945. Both the KMT Army and the CPC Army used cavalry for patrolling, reconnaissance and direct conflict as mounted infantry with the Japanese forces. Mongolian ponies provided the bulk of horse-stock in Chinese armies with larger Ningxia ponies sometimes used. As late as the 1940s the Chinese People's Liberation Army included approximately 100,000 mounted soldiers, grouped in 14 cavalry divisions and considered as an elite.

Powergaming is what plagues historical wargames of the mainstream.

no idea, I steel well clear of BA

I assume it's from the Chinese army builder in the recent Empires in Flames sourcebook.

Surely they would have still been wrecked by any decent force with MGs and Light tanks though right? I mean the Japanese did conquer large portions of China using mostly that.

the new Warlord US Airborne plastic set is awesome. I was able to kitbash me a Ranger LMG and USMC MMG Team with the Airborne sprues.

They look nice, but
>moldlines

cavalary in Version 1 was pretty broken.
especially the Poles with Lances.

>>moldlines
yeah I know. I didn't really notice until I took the photo... but well you don't notice them when on the table mixed in with other stuff.

Its interesting because from the Polish people I've talked to the cavalry almost always dismounted to fight, and the one time they were accidentally in the same place as some panzers and mounted, they had more of a disorientating effect on the tanks, who withdrew, instead of actually inflicting damage or having a real combat-style victory. The germans were probably thinking "why are there cavalry around us!? we must be in the wrong place, move to the next field over"

Being broken is pretty much what I expect from ex GW designers who didn't really know what they were doing with regards to WW2. Cavalry might have been super effective in the early middle ages, but since WW1 and the advent of the machine gun, it has been much less effective.

pic is the kind of "cavalry" I would take in a WW2 polish force ;)