Heavy Gear General: Duelist Edition

Heavy Gear is a game set in the far future based on the planet Terra Nova. The setting is home to a war game, RPG, Video Game, movie, and TV series.
>Website
dp9.com/
>RPG Developer Website
arkritepress.com/
>Books
mega.nz/#F!aMEziYQL!7lUPbf7rKMvwnXuqEvP8zg!bEdzjC4R
Heavy Gear Wiki
>hgwiki.net/Main_Page
1d4chan Page (Needs more stuff)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear
Drivethru RPG free rules download
>drivethrurpg.com/product/144759/Heavy-Gear-Blitz-Tabletop-Wargaming--Living-Rulebook

Book order
Heavy Gear 3e PHB
2e Life on Terra Nova
2e Technical Manual

Other DP9 games are also welcome here, the other games should be in the mega link as well

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

jestertrek.com/temp/heavy-gear/
hgwiki.net/GREL
hgbtools.infohell.net/
mediafire.com/?hvoa3nf64hc2v
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Asked in the old thread, reposting.

So wanting to build a Southern MP squad.

Buy the metals, or buy yet another starter set(or individual plastics when they release them separate) and then buy some shields and frag cannons? I was thinking I'll have at least 3 frag cannons from my north starter, maybe can grab a few from friends, and then I'd just need to buy a few shields.

Well if you want it now, go for the metals. May be awhile for the plastic mp squad to come out

A NuBlitz RP user here.

Playing with some numbers, the smallest difference in the number of hits it would take to kill a target at any given damage total (assuming consistent damage every round) is 1.5x PEN and AR, with H/S bumping up or down a category on the Standard Hull and Structure Table.

Things still get a little crazy the bigger the difference between relative stats, but it's still within a relatively acceptable range compared to what 2x does.

Well I could just grab a plastic startern some shields and some frag cannons. That'd get me some Mambas and a couple of Iguanas.

I dunno, I like the little police lights the actual MP models have on their shoulders and the protective camera visors

True, it does make them stand out a bit more.

I also tried to make a little shield for my Cobra MP, since he has the Shield 2 trait like the others, but doesn't, otherwise, come with an actual shield.

The final issue of Aurora, the Silhouette Magazine, is out and free to download. Read up on Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Gear Krieg, Tribe 8, Core Command, all depending on what our contributors submit!

Table of Contents
Kraut Patrol (GK Fiction)
The Journal Part 10: Ghosts (JC Fiction)
Grizzly (HG Gallery Image)
Alfie's Tenners (GK Graphic Novel)

SPECIAL PULL OUT SECTION:
The Forces of the CEF D6 Conversion
(Coming soon)

aurora.dp9forum.com

The magazine is going on hiatus, but may be back if there's enough demand (hint, hint)

Wow, that last issue has just zero content.

Would you fuck a Minerva-class GREL?

Would you guys recommend Lightning Strike 1st or 2nd edition?

Do GRELs evem have reproductive organs?

they do

I could have sworn in the new Blitz book it says GRELs can't reproduce, that they're grown basically. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, though.

But either way; no I wouldn't. She would fucking destroy me.

Can't reproduce =/= don't have sex organs.

Also there is exactly one half-human half-GREL child on Terra Nova. They're kind of a big deal and considered nothing short of the Messiah of the tribe they live with.

Could it be an Isabella instead?

Yeah all GRELs are at least +2 BLD and STR which is fairly strong.

After much work to get around/undo the reproductive block.

Just a Minerva? I mean, if I am going to have my pelvis crushed to dust then lets get the whole lot of female GREL.

Can't the old gen GREL that reached Terranova on their generation ship at least breed true?

I think the sand riders are descendants of the Prime Knights, not GRELs.

Were they ever explained? I thought they were just supposed to be one of those things left unanswered.

Technically it's unanswered but it's very obvious. In that super obvious "IT MAY BE THIS BUT IT MIGHT TOOOOOOOOOOOOTALLY NOT! WINK WINK WINK" kind of way.

Either way, the "theory" is the Koreshi are Prime Knights, which are not GRELs, but were something of a precursor to GRELs.
GRELs didn't even exist until WELL after the Koreshi were established, IIRC.

>Can't the old gen GREL that reached Terranova on their generation ship at least breed true?
Were there generation ships in Heavy Gear? Terra Nova is like 3000 light years from Earth.

>Either way, the "theory" is the Koreshi are Prime Knights, which are not GRELs, but were something of a precursor to GRELs.
I thought Prime Knights were super hardcore super soldiers, but a quick read shows that I guess Koreshi have at least inherited the remnants of their reproduction problems.

Im not too well versed on actual lightning strike but if memory serves the second edition is the better of the two.

Not sure 100% what this is, Looks like a group's archive of Heavy gear related material, There are some pretty good equipment Spreadsheets and tons of HTML files for vehicles and Gears
jestertrek.com/temp/heavy-gear/

Have more Skelemechs

even better.

fuck a Morgana.

>Fucking and/or dating a Morgana

kinda loose on the HG lore what exactly are the different classes of GRELs?

Jan: Commander, tendency towards meglomania.
Mordred: Meathead infantry.
Morgana: Infiltrator/Assassins
Minerva: Pilots/Drivers, elements of 40K Ork speed freaks in that they like to go fast whenever they can.
Maxwell: Gunner
Isaac: Engineer
Isabella: Medic
Kassandra: EWar/Comms/GREL-Human Relations

There's also SLEDGE (human looking supersoldiers, probably retconned out at his point. Which is for the best IMO) and Flails, which are GREL brain jar power armour.

hgwiki.net/GREL

Classes

Every GREL belongs to a specific classification. Each class is bred with a narrow-focus of role in mind, with physical and mental traits adjusted to best suit that role.

Jan - Commanders and leadership roles. Prone to megalomania and hubris
Morgana - Assasination and commando variant. Typically very cunning, slender in build, prone to bouts of sadism
Mordred - Brutish variants designed with heavy lifting and combat roles in mind. All bulk, no brains, prone to stubbornness
Maxwell - Gunner variants. Extremely sharp eyesight and special processing, excellent snipers
Minerva - Tank/Frame pilots. Technically oriented, natural special processing for advanced pilot skills - to the point of becoming a reckless daredevil in some cases.
Issac - Technicians and repair engineers. Highly valued assets post-exodus for those looking to reverse engineer CEF tech...
Isabella - Field medic and surgeon. Will systematically exterminate a GREL who is beyond basic medical rehab
Kassandra - Communications officers and logistics. Purple office workers.

>Maxwell - Gunner variants. Extremely sharp eyesight and special processing, excellent snipers
I think that may be wrong, unless it got changed somewhere along the line.

Fair enough, My only source is the wiki, That's a way more solid source than what I had, the Wiki painfully lacks citations

Looking through the 2nd Ed Rulebook, Trying to get a grasp of the rules,

It appears that they made the Agility Stat far too powerful, Imo they may have wanted to split it into Dexterity (Fine Manipulation and Offensive abilities) and Agility (Movement related Coordination, Piloting, dodging, acrobatics etc.)

While at the same time, they could have combined creativity and Psyche, so that Psyche has some skills and Creativity has a stat, and also combined Appearance and Influence, It appears that Appearance only really governs seduction, and Influence doesn't have very many skills for being a stat unrelated to secondary stats

Am I missing something crucial? (i'm only about a quarter of the way through a thorough read, I've skimmed it a few times too)

Nope, those are the same issues everyone has with Silhouette's stats.

For my Blitz RP idea I'm still thinking about stats (among virtually everything else), but I know I want to combine Appearance and Influence into one Social stat, at least.
It always felt like Sil had unnecessary attributes with how little APP and PSY ever comes into play.

Darn, fair enough, I think the game has a very solid core mechanic, but a lot of stuff seems to make little sense, Silcore / Heavy Gear 3rd ed is what I'm most familiar with, but Skill complexity in that system was all sorts of messed up, 2nd ed seems more Solid, but still has a bunch of glaring flaws I can't seem to wrap my head around, here's to hoping 4th ed straightens things out, otherwise I feel like I'm going to need to spend a few weeks writing houserules, and a few sessions of playtesting before I'll commit to running a campaign with the system

So does anyone here have experie ce making army diles for Battlescribe? Thinking I might tinker with it today and see if it would be possible to make one for HGB.

I tried once for Dark Age but the free form army building made that damn near impossible.

Some more links for ya'll
Gear Grinder: An army builder site for NuBlitz
hgbtools.infohell.net/

And an updated HG Vassal mod:
mediafire.com/?hvoa3nf64hc2v

>hgbtools.infohell.net/
Nice find user, this should be added to the op

If I wind up makeing it again I will put it in there

Only thing it lacks is splitting things into units. Otherwise fairly handy.

Yea that is slighty a pain

Part of the reason I want to fiddle with Battlescribe.

Or if Gear Garage came back that'd be nice, too.

I ended up with AGI, BLD, DEX, PER, CRE, INF, KNO, WIL as my stat line up.

Skill complexity was pretty odd. btw what other flaws did you find 2e to have? I'm putting together a little d8 edit of silhouette for my own use, so odd like to hear what other problems you found.

My first test colors for my South forces. Thinking of getting a second, darker, green to add some pop. Also debating if the ash grey on the upper arm and hand is too subtle.

Yea, I wonder if they will release any new kinds of gears anytime soon? We still got to get the ones we have out in plastic, but wondering if the numbers are right if they try for something else.

I do hope that instead of grabbing new awesome gears, they instead do something for the other planets.

I'm fine with the Terra Nova factions having plastic starters, and then having them start expanding to other worlds.

I just want my plastic Peace River starter and I'll be happy.

Guys, two things.

1) The thumbnail of this post looks like a mouth licking something, I cannot unsee it.
2) I am a new player, why are there so many rulebooks and which one is the one I am supposed to be using.

the thumbnail is kind of disturbing

1) I see a horrible de-nailling...

2) The living rule book that's in the OP. Yes, there are multiple editions. The game dates back to the mid-90s.

depends on what you are wanting to play, the rpg or the tabletop? If it is the tabletop then the rules for it are avalible for free over on drivethru rpg. Otherwise there is a read order in the op

I meant which of the current free rules, there is the locked and loaded, the living rulebook, and the field manual books on drivethru. But the Living Rulebook is the one I need, cool.

I am not worried about the RPG or read order, I have been following the storyline since I saw the cartoon when I was younger and have the RPG books.

I'm thinking "AGI, FIT, BLD; KNO, CRE, WIL; INF, PSY PER" for Blitz RP. I know I should split AGI and DEX but I wanted to keep the Physical/Mental/Social stats an even 3/3/3.

I'm also thinking of cutting down the skills list, Blitz follows a simplification and streamlining philosophy, so I think Blitz RP should, too.

Do you need fit? I just use agility to determine how fast people move and let build take over entirely as the indicator of strength.

My logic is fit governs health, build governs strength, and agility governs speed and coordination.

Maybe it's the D&D mentality leaking in that having separate strength and constitution stats makes more sense to me, plus why split one stat into two just to combine two others that have a more tangible difference than DEX/AGI.

I'm also toying with the idea of oversimplifying things into a tri-stat system. Physical/Mental/Social done.
But that might be a little much. Most people are drawn to Silhouette for the depth as well as the simplicity.

That's not the intention of the stats from what I've seen. Build is just literal size while Fitness is muscles (so you can have a fat unhealthy guy by giving them a high build and low fitness). So in that case Fitness would work better for strength, and Build would work better for endurance or health.

>plus why split one stat into two just to combine two others that have a more tangible difference than DEX/AGI.
Trying to reduce AGI's god stat nature. I also feel that for the most part players probably won't make characters with low FIT but high BLD and NPCs with that can just have the trait "Fat" instead. Also let's me get rid of STR as a derived attribute.

However since you're working with NuBlitz rolling/attribute/skill system it may not be as much of an issue.

>That's not the intention of the stats from what I've seen. Build is just literal size while Fitness is muscles (so you can have a fat unhealthy guy by giving them a high build and low fitness).
I'm well aware I'm essentially re-defining them to fit the D&D-esque Strength, Dexterity, Constitution mold.

>So in that case Fitness would work better for strength, and Build would work better for endurance or health.
That does make sense.

>Trying to reduce AGI's god stat nature.
I'm not sure if that'll end up being TOO much of an issue as the way I'm doing things is attributes are bonus dice rather than a +# bonus to the total, so while they increase your chances of a good roll they don't necessarily guarantee success.

>I also feel that for the most part players probably won't make characters with low FIT but high BLD and NPCs with that can just have the trait "Fat" instead. Also let's me get rid of STR as a derived attribute.
I never really liked the STR derived attribute and also want to it. I think user above made a good point of switching BLD to health and FIT to strength.

>However since you're working with NuBlitz rolling/attribute/skill system it may not be as much of an issue.
Like I said, the idea is that attributes will add dice to relevant skill rolls, like how Blitz changed most +# mods. Attributes will average 0 and rarely exceed +1d6, and I'm thinking at character creation completely disallowing raising a stat above +2d6.

>Like I said, the idea is that attributes will add dice to relevant skill rolls, like how Blitz changed most +# mods. Attributes will average 0 and rarely exceed +1d6, and I'm thinking at character creation completely disallowing raising a stat above +2d6.
One thing to point out is that skills and attributes will have a lot os synergy in your system (if I'm understanding it correctly). Attributes give you more dice and then skills make those dice worth more, so like you said it might be good to keep them under control.

We should be careful we don't get our streams crossed too much though since I'm doing d8 Sil and you're doing BlitzRPG.

>>the way I'm doing things is attributes are bonus dice rather than a +# bonus to the total

I'll be honest I'm not a fan of this idea. One thing I loved in the Silhouette system is that attributes are natural benefits that improve the maximum results of what you do, but skills are less about improving maximum results and more about improving consistency.

Also I'm not sure how a system like what you're describing would work with negative attributes. If you've got -1 in something and a 1 in the skill do you roll as if you're unskilled? Seems a bit rough, and it means players won't bother putting anything in skills they have a -1 in, since both 0 skill and -1 skill are equally shit

>One thing to point out is that skills and attributes will have a lot os synergy in your system (if I'm understanding it correctly). Attributes give you more dice and then skills make those dice worth more, so like you said it might be good to keep them under control.
Yeah, I liked the idea of putting more value on skills and less on attributes. Early on I even thought of making the system entirely skill based and just scrapping attributes entirely.
My current train of thought for character creation is you only get 3d6 to distribute among the 9 attributes, and the option to trade ONE attribute to be -1d6 for another d6 to allocate, and capping attributes to +2d6 out of the gate.

That way you can at base have 3 good attribtes (ideally one from every category), or one exceptional attribute and one other that's good, or 4 good and one shit, or 2 good one exceptional and one shit.

>We should be careful we don't get our streams crossed too much though since I'm doing d8 Sil and you're doing BlitzRPG.
True.

Download the Living Rulebook of the Blitz Beta and read the NuBlitz rolling system, it doesn't work at all like how you seem to be imagining.

>and the option to trade ONE attribute to be -1d6 for another d6 to allocate
Just to check would there be any point in buying skills for an attribute you have only 1 dice in? Would you still be using the unopposed/opposed split system from NewBlitz?

>Just to check would there be any point in buying skills for an attribute you have only 1 dice in?
Theoretically it would mean increasing the chances of not totally failing every roll. You'll still get outside dice bonuses like situational modifiers and equipment bonuses, and I'm still debating on keeping Emergency Dice a thing.

Also skills can still use different attributes for different uses.

>Would you still be using the unopposed/opposed split system from NewBlitz?
Yes, which, again theoretically, means that if you have -1d6 in an attribute there is still value to put points in those associated skills so you'll at least pass unopposed tests on a basic level.

this is probably how the sheets should end up if we make our own system

I just looked up the new blitz dice rolling system. I'm not really a fan of that, to be honest. It looks like it would be fine for a wargame, but I'll stick to the old silhouette system of rolling die for the campaign I've got planned.

What video games do you guys reckon the GRELs would play?

Mordred: Call of Duty 270
Jan: Call of Duty 270, but they try to tell everyone else what to do.
Morgana: Metal Gear Solid/Splinter Cell
Isaac: Kerbal Space Program, but they never actually fly the rockets.
Minerva: Wipeout
Maxwell: Gunblade (helicopter rail shooter)
Isabella: Surgeon Simulator

That's fine. For me it's just for the fun of it. Heavy Gear has always had the wargame and RPG elements intrinsically tied, so I thought it'd be fun exercise to make an RPG side to the NuBlitz wargame rules.

>Call of Duty 270
Pfft. Everyone knows the last good CoD was 256. They really gave up on the series after that.

>Pfft. Everyone knows the last good CoD was 256. They really gave up on the series after that.
GREL Ops 129 is pretty good. Bit sci-fi though.
In all seriousness HG is set in the 62nd century. Even Activision would have to stop milking the series after 4,000 years of nonstop CoD.

Do you really think EA wouldn't milk the same license as long as it possibly could? There'd still be madden games in that far flung era I bet.

I am suprised that there are that few CoDs in that joke

I got my kickstarter stuff last week.
I don't know anything about the game, but love the gear designs.
Unfortunately, everything else seems really cartoony, and the fluff, at least at a glance, seems really uninteresting. The fact that nearly every weapon profile is a mishmash of acronyms is also not enticing.

And even if the sport of football hadn't changed in the slightest people would still buy them.

The acronyms mostly just help keep stat blocks from being huge and filled with a milion words. You learn most of them pretty quickly.