/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous session What will you be running for Halloween?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
docs.google.com/document/d/1kloyX_I_8wP9WGzwzKj-tJMh-TfyGcotrIu7xuHUjF8/edit
dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
pastebin.com/uqFhfhPn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kinda want to run the Brewery infested with Oozes from Quests of Doom. Gotta make maps though.

Here's your Planar Bestiary.

glorious. thanks so much.

Curse of Strahd still, no need for a special session there.

Speaking of which, Vallaki was an epic cluster fuck - the inn was almost burned down, the vampire spawn are everywhere, Izek killed a player, another has his belly spilled open but is stable in the church, Rictavio skipped town, every result on the urban chase table has been seen, and the party was literally split down to the individual for basically the whole session.

Hey can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes to run Death House? Wanna run a Halloween one-shot but our sessions are limited to about three hours.

I was expecting owlbears but this is fine too I guess.

More details: 3 players plus me DMing, they're not super experienced with 5e but I've been able to keep things rolling pretty smoothly. Just wondering how many 3-hr sessions I should expect it to take.

Probably 2. It took my group 2 sessions, 3 hours each. Of course we weren't rushed into the house, so you could trim a lot of time with that. But we're also experienced with DnD, so add time on yours since your group will constantly be asking how to do things.

If you workshop it you could probably shave it down to one session.

I bought it specifically to spite that guy. Totally worth it.

Thanks. Probably gonna let it be two.

What do people think of this?

I think you should post it in an imgur album instead of uploading each page individually.

Conceptually and in-practice, the magus is covered by the Eldritch Knight or a wizard multiclass. Making specific mechanics for an idea can be fun but in-practice sticking with the tried-and-true core and reflavoring is better.

But this is assuming the core rules are infallible and can cover that concept.

Because the magus doesn't do a damn thing that can't be covered by reflavoring of what already exists.

So a few friends are coming over tomorrow for a boardgame day/night thing and we were thinking of looking into something D&D. None of us has any experience. Is there something we can maybe look at to start?

Check out the Starter Set. It has premade characters, the basic rules, and a decent-sized adventure that's good for starting out. It's a great introduction to the system and RPGs in general.

Starter Set is amazing to start with. Has an adventure in there to last you a few sessions. Took me about 5 sessions to do it with about 4-5 hours each time but some of the time was spent eating, joking around and looking stuff up. Enjoy it man, 5e is amazing.

Starter Set is actually good. Make sure you get the one with the green dragon on the front.

Most of the modules (prewritten adventures) officially published for this edition have been pretty good, too.

Please be for naming my hunter in new games that are coming. Low magic, high energy!!

Anyone got some good ideas for races to make nations of? I'm trying to homebrew up a setting, and I've made a world consisting of a continent of men, a larger continent consisting of a human-run empire that includes several different races (including all the standards), a small elf state that's basically a reservation, a large orc region, a gnoll warband region, a human cultist region, and a goblin region. I have 5 states unfilled and a continent I was going to make largely uninhabited by any sovereign state.

Clint of the Eastern Woods

Curse of Strahd or a converted Rise of the Rune Lords as my group's next adventure?

>Clint
that's my irl name lol...

Hobgoblins. Always hobgoblins.

Halflings played as Tolkien hobbits.

You forgot Dwarves.

Argoran

I'd recommend Strahd if you expect it to last till halloween. Otherwise Rise of the Rune Lords now, CoS on hallow's eve.
Well as I was stating, the dwarves are going to be part of the human empire. I was kind of hoping that one player's dwarf would be a bit of a rebel. The hobgoblins are part of the goblin state. I might add a small halfling state in the south, however. Thanks.

who the f*ck is this clown

Flint of the Eastern Wood.

Going for Strahd then! Was actually looking to have a nice halloween themed adventure written up but CoS will be perfect.

Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?

Thanks, Ill look out for it.

What have you done to spread the good word, /5eg/?

Peter
Philip
Isles

T'nilc of that small patch of trees.

What makes 5e good?

Simplicity for new players, with a fairly decent range of options for the DM.

Familiarity for returning players, many people are familiar with the basic concepts presented in 5e, because they are similar in design, but different in detail, to things from former additions.

Math is more consistent, most rolls come down to rollings a d20, adding a stat, and then adding proficiency or not.

It's simple enough for new players without being too dry for experienced players, it works out of the box, it's easy to DM for, and easy to homebrew for.

Not having to bash my giant fucking statblock against another giant fucking statblock in order to have fun.

It's more balanced than 3.5 without dropping everything and turning into 4e.

The quickness of character creation

The ease of learning the system overall

The relative balance of class options without sterilized rules presentation

The ease of use in-play both by RAW and adjudication by the DM

The ease of using variant rules (both in the DMG and homebrewed) to adjust the system to suit specific tones and tastes without it completely falling apart.

The relatively lax NPC creation rules for DMs

Expanding character creation past just race and class to include background and encourage more interesting character choices

The lack of magic items being required for character progression making it easier to adjust the system to suit tone, taste, and setting

The lack of splatbooks making the core game much easier to run

The number of good adventure books for running long-term campaigns without a ton of prep work (and for stealing ideas from)

And finally, just how goddamn many people play it despite it only being out for two years now.

Is this you personally converting Rise of the Rune Lords or is there a pdf conversation out there?

Interested only because it's supposedly one of the better modules out of Pathfinder.

Someone has converted book one and I think two others ones. I'm working on converting some myself.

Has anyone played/ran an OotA game where players butchered humanoids for food?

Could you post it?

Is there a link to said conversion?

I have literal 0 desire to learn Pathfinder after getting away from 3.5. At most all I want to do with PF is take any classes from it and convert them to 5e, but only if my players have a gigantic boner for those classes and we can't make them in 5e.

docs.google.com/document/d/1kloyX_I_8wP9WGzwzKj-tJMh-TfyGcotrIu7xuHUjF8/edit

Can I use polymorph to become a swarm of bats?

>Only Arcana clerics can get scag weapon cantrips

Arcana clerics best melee clerics?

No

Why? It's categorized as a beast.

no, its categorized as beastS

Anyone got a Ciri-like character or know where someone might've made some Ciri pregen sheets?

No they are swarm of beasts not beast

Thanks heaps, brah!

Can I wildshape into a Pack of Wolves

What the fuck is pic related?

It's a Pokemon.

No really, Lickitung is a Pokemon.

A really gross drawing of a lickitung. They original art is way cuter.

In my opinion, female red skinned double horned tailed tiefling rogues are the most cum draining characters in 5e

Does anyone here know a website that sells D&D miniatures and ships to Europe at a reasonable price? Most retailers seem to be in the US for some reason. They don't have to be from a specific line but I'm looking for the pre-painted ones.

How useful is Minor Illusion during combat? Say I want to make a 5 ft wall to hide. Would I get sneak attack? What are some creative ways you've used it in or out of combat?

That art is completely terrifying.

hey as a DM has a players spontaneity ever inspired you?
when i started my adventure one of my players took the "mysterious coin" keepsake, and upon telling me that i though of one or two ways to include it in the story i had already crafted. but then he said "i already decided that its got a picture of cthulu on it" and at first i was taken aback cause my story and setting at the time had no room for that. Cthulu wasn't in the pantheon i had created, not did it's themes really fit in the greater scheme of my setting.
but thinking on it it turned out i needed some great calamity to kill off the ancient 'first age' grand high elf kingdom in the history of my setting and i though that a war against old god esqe elemental titans worked great!
and so Cthulu became a titan of old and possibly the progenitor of Slaadi!
my player inadvertantly helped bake backstory for my setting and thats pretty neat
in addition his character is also from Neverwinter, which because i was trying to craft my own setting, was suddenly part of the landscape because it was part of my players backstory and i didn't account for that.

the unintentional give and take is super neat

Nope

Enemy still knows you're there, you just chanted some words and made a gesture and a wall appeared in front of you.

Don't try to cheese sneak attack, it's easy enough to get.

If you crit when using Booming Blade do you double the damage dice if the enemy willingly moves and takes damage

naw

since it's part of the same spell, I'd say yes.

no, the secondary damage is not part of the melee attack which would be the part that could possibly crit.
this is the consensus online but ask ur dm

Honestly, this sounds pretty amazing.
How does combat run in this system?

>How does combat run in this system?
fast

Really fast and way less mathy than the other systems. You pretty much just roll the d20 and a + proficiency if you're proficient with the attack you're using. No more adding 9 numbers to a roll based on position and all that shit.

If you know the system, it can go pretty damn quick. As usual, with less experienced people, it gets bogged down.

and a modifier + proficiency. Damn insert button.

Anyone got a good low magic setting? Something that is largely medieval in nature? High military. Hmm actually the setting of the The Deed of Paksenarrion is pretty close, might modify that. Doesn't have to be super detailed or super fleshed out.

Sweet as, brahs, this'll go down well with my friends who seem to be despising the long, drawn out combats of PF and 4e.
Are the combat actions similar in this edition or did they introduce new concepts?

Dragonlance.

Actions in combat are much simpler; you have one move and one action each turn. Outside of that, there's only bonus(1/turn no matter what, only granted by feats / class features / spells), and reactions(1/round).

As far as the whole 'how many actions does it take to do this', they killed full-round actions and free actions. No more five-foot-step(and that's significant because a lot more spells are concentration-based now).

I found something absolutely amazing.

>No more five-foot-step
I kinda miss that, it made AOO clerics hilarious.

Is there an ability score limit for beings other than mortals?

Yeah, but it made the mechanics to counter full-casters fucking pointless.

p. sure immortals can have whatever stats and not care.

Bump

What are your favorite myths, legends, and tales related to witches? I'm trying to put together a witch homebrew.

so far, some of the things I'm pulling from:

>baba yaga and her moving house
>fairy tales
>wiccanism
>some greek legends, medea and circe in particular.
>some modern takes, like good horror movies about it.

the overall goal is to spice up warlock class options, by adding one or two patron options, one or two pact boons, and a whole heck of a lot of invocations.

So, is there actual rule for kingdom building somewhere ? My player would like to do something like that and I don't wanna play Pathfinder or adapting their rule.

No, 5e doesn't have rules for anything outside of combat yet, stop asking.

starting Curse of Stradh in a few weeks. Though we've been playing AL curse of stradh for months now, so I can hardly say it's "for halloween"

Speaking of, what's a good way to adjust the dificulty of COS for a party that's going to start at level 7-8?

I'd look into some of Soul Sacrifice's lore. That game has amazing spell casters that are really witchy/warlocky and it's where I'm getting a lot of inspiration from for my characters. Has a lot of old fairy tales with a horror twist to each.

I made the "boss" characters be a match for the characters if they weren't already. Like Izek is pretty weak... and well that's kinda it.

There's not enough CR 7ish encounters - just high and low CR creatures.

Just add more creatures

Do all classes have options other than 'I go up and hit them with my sword'?

That's why i switched from Pathfinder to this. A lot of classes have way more they can do besides "I attack". Clerics can actually use attack cantrips to fuck shit up for once.

I'm designing a dungeon for my players tonight, I'm thinking of having an aberration theme to it, with possibly a mind flayer or two as the final boss. I was thinking of including a menagerie with all sorts of things locked up the the mind flayers would study and eventually consume their brains. Any tips for encounters, traps or puzzles that would fit this theme? Everyone is level 6 or 7, and there's 5 to the party.

Just don't be martial, sure

Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

Trying to whip up a few Wizard Archetypes loosely based upon Divinity:TOS's magic themes. Finished Hydrophist so far and I'm looking for a bit of feedback. Trying to go for a combonation of minor healing abilities and environmental advantage, and I'd like to know, in your opinion, whether or not it's OP or completely inferior to something like Divination Wizard or Mystic Theurge.

>pastebin.com/uqFhfhPn