MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Cards You've Never Heard Of Edition: What's Your Super Super Super Super Secret Tech?

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ayli-while-he-watches/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/finagle/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/giselas-fng-pissed/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazy-warriors/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/?cat=&sort=cost
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-triggerman/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazezon-ii-return-of-legends/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jjjjjjjjjjjj-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-mill-landfall/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/fight-future-2014-12-12
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sandbox-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-the-great-game-ender/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My favourite tech is Hive Mind for Nekusar, 28 to everyone on the table is indeed wonderful.

So I was playing brago.dec with my girlfriend last night against her Giants.dec and I accidentally made her pass out on me. Is blue/white really that boring?

>In Hanna

Depends on deck really, Brago is kinda like that deck that isn't interesting to play against

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ayli-while-he-watches/
How many lands should I be running? Which cards are utter garbage, other than the Commander?

The trick to Brago is to solitaire playtest a fuckload and learn to resolve triggers very quickly. If you don't, your opponents will wish for death.

I just made a $200 order for most of the pieces I still needed for:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/finagle/
Quick, someone point out all the mistakes and omissions so I can spend another $200 trying to fix it.

You can spend 200 dollars on me sugar daddy :3

With your big hand size you could add Aeon Chronicler and Overbeing of Myth

My biggest mistake was spending $200 on a Muzzio stax deck, and then the week after deciding I'd prefer to make a Damia Storm deck and spent another $200. I'm lucky I pulled a Masterpiece Lotus Petal

It started life as a Leovold deck. I spent $150 on it before turning it into what it is now.

Aren't those a bit low impact?

I like your current list, seems fun to play against. My biggest regret is that it isn't easy to play against other user's, especially since I sold out of MTGO. I haven't played long term plans before, does it work nicely or is the exile ten a big deal?

Thanks man. I think you're referring to diminishing returns though. Long term plans tutors for a card and puts it third from the top of my library. I've only been gold-fishing and theory crafting so far so I haven't been able to play test it for real yet. In theory, it's an excellent card. Works well with top, library, scroll rack, and brainstorm. Should help me get combo pieces or whatever utility I may need at the time.

Oh yeah sorry diminishing returns is the one. Dead tired been through airports all day. Might order a copy when I get home and give it a test, thanks. Hope your deck works out

The long awaited pimp mizzet decklist picture is here. 100% of possible foil cards are foiled, although not everything is the best version, that's the next project.

Decklist here:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/

hypersonic dragon?

Don't see why I need that when I have Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation.

Mindless Automaton is my secret tech in my Angry Omnath deck. It's a subtle discard and draw engine that lets me pit h Ulamog to infinitely recure my deck. I've put over 100 lands onto the battlefield in one turn before because this dumb robot enables so much.

A little redundancy never hurt anybody. A little redundancy never hurt anybody.

Should I put the funds from pic related towards a Kaladesh booster box or Avacyn for my Sisay deck?

The party hat is covering the name, what's the enchantment called?

I saw you at /v/ fgt

Post pictures of your decks, your five favorite lands, and all the tokens you use in em, if applicable. Then other Anons try and guess what cards make those tokens.

Nah man, Aurelia's good but Gisela is special. Pulled her from my only avacyn restored prize pack from the prerelease. I appreciate the shared taste of Boros tho.

Yeah no one responded to my shit there

i should get tokens

Are there more cards like stunted growth and plow under? i kinda like the sounds of a a meme mono g controlish deck

Primal Command has the hidden mode of destroy target permanent.

Get those enchantments that make lands creature then overload a cyclonic rift.

*noncreatue though

Got a list? I was the user that said he wanted to convert Brion Stoutarm into Gisela and Feldon form last thread.

Oh yeah, that's right.

Chain of acid when cast when tempers are high and all polotics have broken down desyroys all non-creatire permanents. People just leep copying it out of spite.

>Planeswalker_with_more_money_then_deck_building_skill.jpg

Here you go mang.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/giselas-fng-pissed/

That's brutal, but personally I'm not a fan of cards with large variance

I like the full-art Winds of Change

Explain.

You have vary few ways to interact with enchantments or hate bears that come down early. Look at the cards posted, then look at how many cards they shut down in your deck.

My previous experience with EDH are pretty much limited with playing with people's spare/extra decks. I'm looking in getting my own shitty meme with pic related. Landbase not added because that's my last step and also dependent on how heavy each colour will be. I feel like I even with this guy just went with "everyone looking vaguely synergestic" from what I have.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazy-warriors/

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazy-warriors/
Error Code: 404

To be fair he is in UR and has no way to deal with enchantments other than countering them or chaos warp.

He can bounce+wheel any of those, but you are right, he isn't even running chaos warp. Pongify is also pretty good spot removal.

Try to find room for one of those foil user. Personally I would cut one of your counterspells, since they fulfill largely the same purpose.

Whoopsie, had it set to private.

(Not who you were responding to, but)
Aurelia and Gisela go into each other's decks quite easily.

I've been running an Aurelia deck since she was released, and she's one of my favorites.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/?cat=&sort=cost

I need to cut non-lands for 2 more basics and 2 shit non-basics for Game Trail and Cinder Glade.
What should go?

Predatory Focus.
I never see anybody use it and any time I use it to win my opponents can't believe it exists. I don't understand why it hasn't caught on.
Overwhelming Stampede sees plenty of use.
Overwhelming Stampede on legs sees plenty of use.
Kamahl sees plenty of use.
Or you could just skip the formalities of subtraction and beat them square in their faces.

Will the 4 colored commanders be people who we know of but never had a printing, do any of you think me may possibly get an Urza?

>common ETB lands that are not Halimar Depths or Bojuka Bog.
This shouldn't even be a question.

Not sure why you have Geier Reach Sanitarium in there, maybe that?

Also more fetch lands is always a good idea with landfall.

If you're looking for another anthem, Shared Triumph naming "Sand" does the trick.

Oh also Rampaging Baloths is much more amazing than Zendikar's Roil, although I haven't played the later one.
It also synergies well with elemental bond if you put it in. Just like Omnath.

Innistrad - Flip commander.
Takir - Commander with 3 hybrid mana abilities.
Zendikar - Devoid Eldrazi
Kaladesh - Janky Energy Commander
Theros - Gemini God(s)

Five of the sub commanders will be 2 colored from Ravnica.

The other Five will be tri-colored and will be OC or characters who do not have a card yet.

>ETB lands with a repeatable land-bounce commander is bad

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/?cat=&sort=cost
>turntimber basilisk
For what purpose? Irresistible prey and taunting elf do the same thing much cheaper.

>Ulrich
I am not impressed by him, have you had success using him?

>Akoum Hellkite
Bad. Really really bad. I get that you're going to double down on the landfall trigger, but it just wont be worth it.

>Conduit of Ruin
Again, or what purpose? To get you 2 cheaper on your creatures and tutor one of your eldrazi? Might as well throw in Thran Dynamo or Worn Powerstone. Even Fyndhorn Elder seems like a better option. You could always just tutor them up with any of the various cheap tutors.

>Worldbreaker
Newlamog is strictly better, and I think you can pick one up for like $13 bucks? Even Bane of Bala Ged might be a better option unless you're using it for MLD, and but still it's just not better than Deus of Calamity.

>Horn of Greed
Now that's spicy, holy shit. With a basic land ramp subtheme you could do some hilarious stuff.

I'd cut:
>Gruul Turf
>Looming Spires
>Worldbreaker
>Akoum Hellkite

Have you considered Elvish Piper, Ruric Thar, and Phyrexian Hydra?

Don't forget this badboy.

I don't even get why someone would spend so much money on such a passive deck. For the most part, every games just going to be dump rocks>draws cards and slowly ping people to death> counter anything that affects the board state.He pretty much just spent a lot of money to play nekusar without black.

I'm okay with that. I was hoping for a 5 colour devoid eldrazi, but 4 colour could be just as good.

Neat, a free boardwipe against target player if anyone messes with my man.

Looking for any kind of feedback for my Karlov deck I just finished building. Any cards that stick out like sore thumbs? Any auto-includes that I've missed?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-triggerman/

>He thinks a 0/1 Plant or making a creature unable to block (when he is already giving shit trample) is worth it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazezon-ii-return-of-legends/

check out my list for inspiration (although it's a bit outdated). I cut the scapeshift nonsense and am currently going for more of a sac playstyle, much like Prossh. (Martyr's Bond and the like)

You're running some neat things my man, but outside of urborg/cryptghast and few your rocks, how do you plan on ramping hard enough to use some of your things? I find b/w is notoriously slow most of the time, and I was running Ayli with a full suite of tutors with top.

>pimped out deck
>has disgusting alters

How about no

>how do you plan on ramping hard enough to use some of your things?
I'm honestly not sure. I think what I hope to do is stall the early-game with removal and Karlov. Playing in a fairly casual meta probably helps. I'd love something like Land Tax for the deck, but it's currently a bit out of my price range. Probably got some tweeking to do after the first few games in either case.
Anything else I should think of?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jjjjjjjjjjjj-2/

Currently building this and still need to cut a couple of cards, but feel like there may be some cards im missing / have taken out but shouldn't have done.
Also anything that is terrible and shouldn't be there still?

That doesn't bounce the lands, just because they are creatures they are still lands (that's why the card says "they are still lands") and cyc rift specifically says "nonland"

Will the Tarkir commander be Taigam?

I wanna make an American deck but I don't like any of the commanders in it. I want a RWU blinker, fuck.

>Turntimber Basilisk
It's for potentially killing 2 of my opponents best threats. The deathtouch is the important thing there.
>Ulrich
Currently just testing to see if he works within the deck.
>Worldbreaker
Disagree with you there, my meta has few exile-board wipes, so getting him back again and again is a huge plus, the reach is also very good against the weak fliers here.
>Akoum, Smoldering Spires, Geier Reach
Noted and cut

With only 28 creatures, Ruric is a bit too dangerous for me.

So /edh/, do think WotC will print more usable vehicles/pilots/dwarfs and energy stuff in the next set/future.

Or will they drop both them for something else?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-mill-landfall/

Any great suggestions for me? I know it still needs Life from the Loan. Also Sylvan Library is gonna go out for Sylvan Scrying, cause Rashmi is in need for the former.

Would horn of greed be worth in it? Or not really neccessary?

After they learned their lesson with how popular clues were, I don't think they'll drop them completely.

Wasn't everything for Kaladesh set in stone by the time Return to Innistrad arrived?

I hope so, playing energy was lots of fun during sealed. I'm thinking about extending it to a standard/casual deck.

Source?

I don't have source but in pretty sure they said they design and develop the cards 2 years in advance to keep the schedule going on time

>my meta has few exile-board wipes, so getting him back again and again is a huge plus
But really user, if you're hardcasting something that's 7 mana again and again, you might as well just wait and drop blightsteel to win the game. He's neat, don't get me wrong, and if you have one you might as well use it, I just think it has really niche utility because it only exiles one thing. You could run all sorts of MLD wipes for that much mana, particularly the ones with "destroy" in there if you get OG Ulamog out and things could be pretty spicy.

>It's for potentially killing 2 of my opponents best threats. The deathtouch is the important thing there.
I think you have better options for removal. Fall of the Hammer is 1R target creature deals damage equal to it's power to another target creature. You could even swap it out for Enlarge or Armed and Dangerous for basically the same effect. Bow of Nylea is also good for the force-block-deathtouch kind of shenanigans.

As for creatures, I like Urabrask in Gruul, but he requires protection or he will be removed quickly.

Sure, I'll take a look in a second here.

Honestly, unless you're running 10 pieces of ramp, you'll get frustrated with a durdle-first strategy. I know I did. If you want to speed things up, you could go re-animator as a backup plan? What I'm struggling with is it seems like you have a lot of good things, but other stuff like Hex just doesn't thrill me like it should.

Maybe you could slap in a few tutors, some things like Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual too to speed things up?

Also, have you considered Sunbond? And tree of perdition is exceptionally spicy with whip of erebos.

It's well known that Magic's creation cycle works around two years in advance, maybe more by now. Source:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/fight-future-2014-12-12

It's in the first paragraph of the "Reacting to Real-World Results" section.

Frankly it's a miracle that the market research on expeditions got in quickly enough to commission art for the Inventions.

I think it was the last State of Design that MaRo said they're less likely to change up mechanics between sets (in a single block) based on feedback from BFZ

I dunno if that's enough time to make it into KLD though

I think you need more haste enablers and more ways to double up Hazezon's etb. Strionic Resonator is a good add because you can copy the etb then copy the delated trigger at the next upkeep too. The revilliark/karmic guide combo with a free sac outlet like ashnods is infinite.

I'll post my list for you to look at if you're interested.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sandbox-3/

Horn of greed only draws off of land drops, not land etbs.

>Frankly it's a miracle that the market research on expeditions got in quickly enough to commission art for the Inventions.
I think they had the masterpieces planned for a while.

What I'm more surprised about is that Hangarback Walker got a masterpiece. That card was printed only a year before KLD. It lit Standard on fire for a few months, but did they know it would be a powerhouse when they first printed it in ORI?

>crystal vein
Oh, I like this. It's going straight into Mazirek.

>Dakmor Salvage
Glad to see this is in there.

>Crawling Sensation
I don't really like this card. It seems low-impact and in general I'm not a fan of the whole self-mill thing.

> Fork in the Road, Animist's Awakening, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Nissa's Renewal
I don't really like your ramp package. I do like harrow, but I'd run things like Primal Bounty, Far Wanderings, Peregrination (though that's more of a pet card in tricolour decks), Explosive Vegetation, Rampant Growth, sakura tribe elder, and similar things.

> Life/Death
I don't like this. It's too low impact, unless you're planning on swinging with your lands.

>Your creatures
Are you running these as specific support to Gitrog? They seem... lackluster in my opinion. I like the big stupid demons, but that might not be your style. Mazirek would also be amazing in this deck.

Maybe think of a few edicts to help control your opponent's board? I always like Deathreap ritual and Phyrexian altar in these decks. I do have a standard black draw package if you find yours is a little lackluster.

Maybe, I mean the gearhulks also got a masterpiece invention version. So it looks like they know what they're doing to some degree.

>did they know this card they printed that makes tokens when it dies and grows itself would be good

Yes

The days of accidentally making broken cards are gone, every good card was pushed to be good

WotC has a pretty good grip on what will be the best or impact standard, albeit 12 hour changes (Siege Rhino) or oversights.

Even though they claim they don't look at modern at all they clearly orchestrated Eldrazi winter with the MM2 reprints and the low cmc Eldrazi in Gatewatch.

Almost forgot, I don't really like Satyr Wayfinder, grisly salvage, and grapple with the past. Cards are going to wind up in your yard through the course of playing. Deadbridge chant is good, so is buried alive and entomb, but the lower impact ones always seem really good, until you realize that the slot would probably be better used for some actual ramp, or a tutor or something.

But that's more personal preference, things seem pretty solid. How does your deck do in your meta?

Maybe this works a little better in my deck because it's more focused on drain, but I've found Wound Reflection to be a killer.
Also, Archangel of Thune.

Self-milling basically enables some nice card draw with Gitrog. It also prepares for Splendid reclamation+big landfall triggers.

> Fork in the Road, Animist's Awakening, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Nissa's Renewal
Well, Fork in the Road has the perk to put one land into my graveyard, which is essentially a draw and preparation for Splendid Reclamation.
The two forests which go in hand from Nissa's Pilgrimage are either easy to play through Gitrog himself or can be useful for retrace effects.

>Life/Death
It's a good alternative to get the frog back. Haven't swung with it yet, but it is an option.

>Creatures
Most of them have their reason, but I might take out some of the mana generators, they don't fit too well most of the time.

Would a gitrog monster landfuck deck work? Completely based on effects that ramp him out, dismantle opponents mana base, and clobber them to death while they're trying to recover

Should I make Brago, Queen Marchesa or Shu Yun?

No.

If you're using it to bring back the frog, why not Animate Dead, or Victimize so you can double down? Whip of Erebos and Nim Deathmantel are good options.

In terms of mana producers, I always divide my deck into sections. I have 8-10 draw cards, 8-10 things that will ramp or make mana, and fill in the rest around it. I prioritize things that put multiple basics onto the battlefield, then things that generate multiple mana on a fast curve, followed by things that fish basics onto the battlefield tapped, and rocks that fix your colours. Dorks are usually a last-resort option because they're easy to remove and can't be used the turn they hit the field.

As for your creatures, I've never really built gitrog so I'm not too sure how to spice things up for you, but Archfiend of Depravity is my favorite card, and I'm a big fan of Sidisi, Undead Viser, and Deathrite Shaman. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is pretty spicy, and unlike the previous user, I think Worldbreaker would fit well in your deck. Herald of Leshrac is also pretty fancy.

How are you exactly going to destroy your opponent's lands in BG?
Besides, you can do much better things with him than just beat face. He's obviously efficient in combo builds, but nothing special if you want to beat face, since Jarad or Mazirek are far better for that in colours.

Thanks man, added most of your suggestions to maybe board for now. Will probably add them if I get the oppurtunity.

Archfiend of Depravity sounds cool, but doesn't fit with Gitrog, since they both wanna stay on the battlefield, leaving nothing for others who want the same.

Grim Flayer is easily a 4/4 trampler which can draw a card or prepare your next mill/draw
Groundskeeper is very neat mid game
Ishkanah is one of two creatures with reach
Nyx Weaver not only mills for more draw, but can also get me a card, even at high cost
Terravore can be insane
Undergrowth Champion is similiar
Woodland Bellower looks for some of these, mainly Grim Flayer, Nyx Weaver and Reclamation Sage who's in as removal.

B-but I want to have fun

I think you misread Archfiend. He only makes your opponents sacrifice things, you can have as many creatures as you want. He basically reads: "At your opponent's end step, they can only have 2 creatures."

I just dropped 450 dollaridoos on fast rocks Kozilek, how'd I do?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/

Anyone think Taigam will be one of the four colored commanders?

I'd put the new Kozilek at the helm. His abilities are far more relevant, and since you dump your hand so fast, he usually nets you more cards than the old one.

You could also try things like Soul of New Phyrexian, Bane of Bala Ged, Wurmcoil Engine, Colossus of Akrosa, and Steel Hellkite.

I also run Omen Machine in my Kozi just because I love top decking drops that make the board state go haywire.

Here's my Kozi build. I need to update it I a bit, but this is what it was a few months ago.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-the-great-game-ender/

Hah yeah, I made this deck 3-4 years before Nekusar came out. I realize it's just a bad nekusar without black.

And I know I made it to be non-competetive, if I wanted to make it stronger I'd take out most of the cards and just put in removal / cantrips and curiosity, ophidian eye etc. But that's not fun. I do have most of the cards mentioned (Chaos Warp, Pongify, etc) available, I just haven't had a need for them.

Just think of it as a really pimped out 75% EDH deck. Honestly, with all the draw and ramp in my deck, Capsize and Cyclonic Rift are usually enough to handle the cards mentioned above. I should probably put in Chaos Warp though, got a commander's arsenal one.

>alters
>NOT pimp
The fuck is wrong with you. Also, those cards don't exist in foil.

I have an Animar deck that has 97/100 foils (Missing foils are Animar, Cradle and Taiga), if you think this deck is bad, you'd lose your mind when looking at that one.