WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_0d4XDOFUow
games-workshop.com/en-US/Battlefield-Accessories-Set
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/40K-Barbed-Wire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really, nothing to post in WIP today?
That's unfortunate.

I guess - the kit wants me to make a metal space angel of some sort now.

The Stalker is probably just making a snow angel or something.

Finished up my rooster rider. Was looking at pictures of chickens for inspiration but I couldn't emulate the sheen they have on their feathers. I'm sorta happy with him. The next one will be better I hope.

Embed EMBED, even!

Last thread, some user asked:

>what do you guys store models in?

Just so happens, we're getting rid of the spare bed in the computer room today, under which I store nearly all of my painted models, so, now that they are exposed to the light, I thought I'd include a picture along with the explanation:

I have one large old-style GW carrying case, and two of the smaller ones, as well as the box from an HP monitor I rescued from the "recycle" pile at the office and fitted with custom foam I carved myself to carry tanks, attack bikes, and dreadnoughts.

Is Dawn Power Dissolver safe on resin miniatures?

Basing ideas for my Genestealer cults, cast your votes:
Volcanic/lava based mine
Standard rocky/muddy mine
Moonscape mine

leaning towards moonscape, so any links to tutorials or guides for this type of basing would be great

Haven't gotten sound to painting yet today. Sorry mate.

not he same guy, but I like my models on the shelf. The dust still irks me though. What to use to clean dust from models without damaging the paintjob?

No worries, it's just that I created the new thread and I actually had to bump it once myself to stop it from falling off the page before anyone had posted anything.
So I was a bit worried so to speak.

>Embed EMBED, even!
yeah, my apologies, I simply copy-pasted the whole first post from an archived thread, with predictable results unfortunately.

your cock rider you mean?

moonscape mine

Im building a ghetto Genestealer Goliath because they're 100 bucks Australian which is ridiculous.

I should have scraped off the ork glyphs before priming but meh.

A dry puffy brush.

Does anyone have tips on creating a metallic/pearlescent pink? I want my oc donut steel Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine warband to really stick out.

Anyone got How to Paint Genestealer Cults?

Want to scope out some of the colors and techniques.

When's the last time you cleaned your workstation WIP?

>Does anyone have tips on creating a metallic/pearlescent pink? I want my oc donut steel Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine warband to really stick out.

Scale 75 SC-77 Kunzite Alchemy is a pink metallic, SC-70 Amethyst Alchemy is a purple one (though fairly light).
SC-76 Tourmaline Alchemy is a brighter pink metallic.

Thanks. And yes, Darker Days Radio is one of my podcasts and also my blog.

I can second these suggestions. The Scale75 paints are a joy to work with.

Been working on a ZOE inspired Ritpide Wing.

Maybe i'll do that now...

Almost finished, what do you think guys?

Looks nice and neat. I would perhaps suggest a touch of a blue wash in places on the skin, just to add more depth to the colour and to make the skin seem more translucent.

Any of you guys got experience painting boardgame-type models?

I got a bunch of D&D ones cheap, they're sort of rubbery. Do you reckon I should find a self-etching primer or something?

Lovely jubbly

youtube.com/watch?v=_0d4XDOFUow

THIN YOUR FUCKING PAINTS

give them a wash, but most primers should hold just fine on that soft plastic.
The downside will be that if someone bends them, the paint will probably crack.

Don't worry mate, it's not like I'll ever get the chance to show them off to anyone ;_;

That's awesome, I've still got two boxes worth of HeroQuest minis in the original box somewhere.

You're australian and don't buy from china?

Neat, bigger pic wouldn't hurt.

I've got to admit; I love the cock.

The hell? They're really well thinned

3 weeks ago, packed everything for a move. Didn't unpack since.

does anyone have that pic from forge world about how to make bases?

today actually.

I'm trying out a color scheme for the cult, but I'm not sure if I like it. Here's a 4th gen hybrid...

...and the base colors of a 2nd gen Hybrid.

first - apologies for the bad photos. Also, should I paint all of the rubber/armor with the same grey color? or just the main armor, then keep the ribbing black?

this one?

yeah, thanks man!

Happy to help.

Either or works, your painting is good enough to carry both. Personally I prefer the 4th gen with the lighter armour.
Damn, all the people getting GCs are really making me want to break discipline from my never-ending guard army.

bruh, I've got a Genestealer cult, an old Ogre Army and three types of Nurgle armies. it never ends.

It truly doesn't. I recently went through all my backlog and made a spreadsheet out of it. I cringed. Keeping discipline with my guard is the only thing I can be proud of. My WFB Empire is a disgrace, there must be 5000pts unpainted there. And I can't seem to finish my second crew for Malifaux, it's like three dudes goddamn.

Oh hey I got the purple ones and the complete game!
>tfw had it for like 13 years and never played it

I have the expansion too with the barbarian and dragon

What model my dude?

Anyone got some helpful videos on how to make cool scenery? Wanna spruce up the table next time i play with friends.

thank you user. the limo is a kitbash based on an old lindenberg '37 cord 1/24 modelkit

Apparently it's quite a nice little game. I bought these guys blind, I'm not really clued up on the various D&D board games and miniature ranges, but it was £10 for the full lot of models, plus the 4 heroes and Hobgoblins from the MB game Dark World, which I did want.

Hacked one of the wraiths (?) off the integral base, he can join my little warband of various hooded evils after a quick paintjob.

is for

Why does it seem like even otherwise good painters will still have problems thinning their paints??

#
I finally remembered where I've seen that face before.

My workstation doubles as my dining room table, so every day. Most of my supplies live in a pair of tackle boxes.

What material do you use for sculpting these bases?

Current wips. Any advice esp on the rat appreciated.

Ahoy, /wip/. I need ideas.

I want to buy a Praetor Armored Assault Launcher (pic related) and magnetize it, such that the missile rack can be removed and replaced with a triple-barreled mortar, as per the Dominus Siege Bombard (which is built off the same chassis).

There's no official art or model of the Dominus, so I'm wondering what bits or such could be used to make a triple-barreled mortar cannon.

Could bash together some Griffon guns.

I did entertain the possibility. But where would I get the Griffon guns, short of ripping up some farm-fresh Griffons?

Kitbashing is thrifty at heart, and I'd rather not drop nearly $100 on bits.

In addition, I've seen the heavy mortar and it seems a bit small for the Dominus's statline (S10 AP3).

I have a barely used bottle of this and I'm almost tempted to throw it out already.

It's awful. The pigment and the base seperate rapidly, so it has to be shaken all the fucking time, and there are fucking -always- bubbles in it.

Adhesion to the model is inconsistent, no matter how much I clean it beforehand. Tiny bit will flake off raised edges with only minor provocation.

Coverage isn't even good.

I have literally nothing positive to say about this bottle of watered down spunk.

What could work is getting some demolisher cannons from the baneblade kit. They're hull mounted so they can be bashed together with some plasticard to look like emplaced guns

I spot a Rogue Trader land raider, and that makes me happy.

That's on the shortlist, then. I can get the bits for rather cheap, too, though the gun is a bit short for my liking. I might lengthen it with some PVC. Any other thoughts?

I use that with my airbrush and love it.

*shrug*

Huh, I've got a bunch of those things. The purple ones. Plus an assload of monsters.

>I spot a Rogue Trader land raider, and that makes me happy.

It was one of the first Games Workshop tanks I ever painted.

yea it's worthless for brushing on, works fine with an airbrush though.

And a peanut dread!
I want to play against this army.

Man, painting all this flayed flesh makes you thirsty...I'm taking a break for a bit. Next is touch ups on the bases and armor before armor highlights.

Well another option is to slap 3 leman russ turrets together to get a similar look to what the tau'nar has on its back, like a battleship turret/

Thirsty for the suffering of your foes?

Is there anything GW has rules for, but hasn't made models for yet?

I'm in the mood to sculpt something, but don't want to make something existing.

Preferably 40K related.

Or did the CHS suit teach them a lesson?

also, if you want a rotary cannon, you could use one of the dreamforge Leviathan arms as a starting point, similar to the new Tomahawk launcher that being installed on the virgina class subs. You'll have to do some converting to make it a base, but it might look cool when you are done

Yeah. There's a lot of stuff that have rules but no models, though it's mostly FW and 30k stuff though.

Cork, maybe?

theres a lot of terrain items, until a fortnight ago the 'voidshield generator' didnt have a model

It did have a model but it was resin.

Any ideas what I should look up and make?

I need to practice my digital sculpting work.

Until we get a new codex ice cream and dr.pepper will do.

a lot of the smaller items in the book like escape hatches, ammo dumps, basic barricades and tanglewire fences dont have models, and no one can ever agree on how big exactly an ammo dump should be-
an ammo dump would be a good idea, something like a 60 or 120mm base model of an ammo cache, plenty of room for creativity.

Make sure you play against imperial guard, they are super weak against rape eldar... Or I should say any kind of Eldar, Space Marine, Tau, Orks, Maybe Chaos, Daemons.

I'm an AoS player who was talked into trying Kill Team. Consequently, I've been converting the space marines into squat marines. Compromise!

I have a Necron scheme in mind, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it, and I'd like to hear some feedback/ideas.

>Overlord painted up very fancy. Gold and silver, shiny, glowing green, proper gem paint where possible.
>Elites in similar condition, but minor wear. Some heat stains, but minimal. Duller green glow. Heavy and Fast Attack in similar condition. These guys will vary a bit within the tier.
>Basic warriors/Immortals heat-stained all over, blasted by sunlight and UV radiation. Once were ornate gold and silver, now bare, heat-stained metal.

Would this be unified enough to use in a single army? And how would I go about doing it? I imagine washes over Leadbelcher?

Mumak Crew, taking shape. Experimenting with the brighter purples on the robes. I wanted to keep the robes and things very dark, but sort of liking the way the purp came out on the one spear dude.

Group shot

I dunno. Give me a bit to think.

>Ammo dumps, barricade, tank traps
games-workshop.com/en-US/Battlefield-Accessories-Set

>tanglewire
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/40K-Barbed-Wire

What type of bases look best with default space wolves? I want to have a theme before deciding how to paint my terrain and table, but I am struck with indecision!

Did you not say you would quit /WIP/?

Use even more dwarf bitz. You're a hero to us all.

those are worse then the mumak. please go to your FLGS and ask for a lesson.

user it's hard to to make out the details in your models when you post shitty pictures. It looks like you put some effort into your models so why not just take the few extra mins to make a decent picture.

>KIL

I need some help with paints.

Are there any paints that are reasonably thin with good coverage right out of the tube?

I've got about 500 Ork boyz to paint (got them from a friend) and I'm trying to reduce the steps needed to paint them as much as possible.

i'm looking at improving my vehicle weathering, i was wondering what's the best way to have bare metal and rust coming through under the coat of paint?
I want it to look like the paints being worn away instead of it looking like i just painted rust over the paint.

I've never seriously done anything before. Tell me how terribly I'm doing.

Just simple Silver Spectres with gold in the center.

theres the option of priming white and then just painting with washes
i used it for these nurglings and had them done in one layer.

That's...an interesting way to do it.

It'd probably take more than one pass for what I want to do. And GW washes are pretty good right out of the pot.

>I've got about 500 Ork boyz to paint

Holy shit, are you actually going to field them?