So what's the main appeal of Dungeons and Dragons now that 'generic fantasy' settings and games are a dime dozen...

So what's the main appeal of Dungeons and Dragons now that 'generic fantasy' settings and games are a dime dozen? By this point all the mystery and novelty has been sucked out of the theme. Even the clichés are becoming parodies of themselves.

slay monsters, get loot

A larger than average player base and brand name recognition to name two.

Each one's a little different, a little unique. Some ARE very, very hackneyed and cliched, but others have a distinct vibe and appeal to them.

The largest player base by huge margin and simple concept so it's very easy to get into it and stay here

It's easy to find people to play with and people refuse to play anything else

Marketing
That's about it. It's a very simple system that ever since 2nd edition has been made for the sole purpose to make money first, content second.
Though I don't understand why everyone's a dragonborn or some other non-standard race these days.

>Also nice image of europe

I figure that people just wanna be special and dragonborn is the new cool thing because media has normalised elves and dorfs to a high degree ever since the LOTR movies came out.

Brand recognition, huge player base and ingrained cultural familiarity.

Cynical, but true.

i like hanging out with my friends and rolling dice

the game only has to be good enough that its terribleness doesn't distract from the good times of socializing and quoting monty python

I want all of you to try to explain me what's [your favourite TTRPG] like if we all were on coffee break at the office and if I didn't know anything about RPGs. It shouldn't be longer than two sentences.

Dungeons: The Dragoning is basically a pile of nonsense and high-octane adventure that works surprisingly well. You play a mishmash of various exotic superpowers and travel the stars having needlessly-complex adventures.

It's the biggest and best-known, so a lot of people assume it's the best.

Other people play it because lots of people do, as has already been said.

I play it a little more often than most games because it's what I got started on so I'm used to it, and I tend to look at new editions in the same way I look at new sequels to games I like.

I haven't been paying much attention to the official settings, save for some of the gimmicks they came up with for switching editions (which were mostly stupid as I recall).

Jeez user but how are you playing ? How does it even work ? Do you use a computer ? Is it a movie ? I'm genuinely intrigued as I sip my coffee but my mind slips when Jenny from accounting comes in, dismissing you as a meth smoking weirdo.

Name a definitive alternative, that is worth switching from the system people are usually more familiar with.

It works. Nothing to puzzle over.

GURPS

>So what's the main appeal of Dungeons and Dragons now that 'generic fantasy' settings and games are a dime dozen?

That *is* the main appeal of Dungeons and Dragons. It's well-trod ground and people like the familiar. That's why the top three games on Roll20 are three different editions of D&D, and there's two more editions of D&D and one D&D imitator (Dungeon World) in the top ten.

For you, maybe.

Certainly not for people who just started playing.
Not for me, even though I've been playing for 15 years, because I like the genre, and every game I run is cooler than the last one. I like doing other things for variety sometimes but I'm not even close to tired of generic fantasy.

DnD has brand recognition and a commonly known system.

I prefer to make my own settings, though.

>are a dime dozen
Your opinion is now invalid, thread saged and hidden.

I don't mind kitchen sink fantasy. I'm just sick of the worn out archetypes and old hat tropes.

because people have varied opinions

like you being a faggot