/osrg/ OSR General - Trove Rehab Edition

>Troves
WIP.

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Links
pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

>Previous thread:

Answering last question, no, Mirrorshades wasn't in any of the troves.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!Z9cxRArC!i3qYS9xwllhlZAgz0xNgVQ
pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC
critkeeper.site88.net
99percentinvisible.org/episode/making-up-ground/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oahu Spine Rehab sounds like a metal as fuck OSR dungeon.

I'm thinking of a menacing Oahu Spine, a gigantic mental facility carved across the mountain range, where crazy godlings, supernatural beings and heroes of old are held by the combined forces of various clerical orders with some Celestials directly overseeing it.

While trove is slowly getting back up, here's the most recent contribution: DCC Halloween module.

Need the full color poster map from FR16 The Shining South.

Guess I should've used a classic one, now the thread is dead.

Nope. We're just a little slow.

What's everyone working on?

Black Hack was pretty popular here for a while. Did anyone actually run a game with it? Seems like something so ultralight might be too flimsy for more involved games.

I agree. It's slick, minimal, it's a nice game, but I'm somewhat surprised it spawned tons of hacks not unlike *W in its day.

any tips on converting stuff for beyond the wall?

What stuff exactly?

monsters i guess.

BtW is similar enough to most other games that you can just wing monster conversions.

I was prepping for a slightly modified White Box play by post game but it's been about three weeks and only one person has rolled up a character. Every time I ask people to make a character they always tell me they're too busy.

I just want to introduce my buddies to OSR despite their wonky schedules.

Three things of note:

1) Monsters have different HD, so goblins use d6s and giants use d10s and all of that. Also attack bonus isn't always equal to HD, sometimes it's lower or higher by 1 or more (rare) points.
2) Maximum AC value in the bestiary is 18. It's rare.
3) PCs are a bit more buff, 4d6, fortune points and bigger HD than usual.

But you can just import stats directly from anything OSR and it's okay.

Come on now. Trying to piece all these 1 inch = 30 miles maps together. I find the electronic atlas / paper atlas to be lacking in style and color.

Is there a general opinion on Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea?
It seems interesting and pulpy, but somehow seems more complex than it looks to be.

So I'm making the first "Alpha Stage Playtest Packet" for my OSR game right now and I'm starting to get a little excited. Thing is, I think I want to hammer out most of the stuff focusing on the humans right now and then once the first phase of playtesting/reviewing is done to then focus on adding the other races and their own unique takes on classes (not unlike ACKS but a little more, well, unique after my own taste).

Is this a good design concept or should I instead work on the demihumans as well?

not a bad idea to get the core Human classes hammered out first, but at the same time don't take too long for the nonhumans either(which races are you including anyways?)

Finished properly writing up my houserules google doc last week. Now I'm reading a bunch of OSR stuff for inspiration when I do a second pass over it.

I enjoy the game quite a bit, but I don't think it hurts to toss some of the more finicky AD&D bits. That goes double for the high fantasy tropes like Orcs that somehow managed to sneak into what's supposed to be a pulp swords and sorcery game.

>That goes double for the high fantasy tropes like Orcs that somehow managed to sneak into what's supposed to be a pulp swords and sorcery game.
honestly I prefer that kind of stuff being in, cause if you're going to go full S&S you might as well use something that isn't D&D(not to mention 99% of the time straight S&S that's not from Howard is boring as hell and is basically just historical fantasy written by people too lazy to research actual history)

Suit yourself. I'd at least call them something other than Orcs, but that's just me.

What are some of your favorite objects and trappings that don't get enough of screen time?

Dwarves, Elves and Halflings. Might add some more later on.

What OSR products (or blog posts?) describe a good system for generating a sandbox either on-the-fly or in a manner that isn't super time consuming?

I'm thinking starting with a small village, then being able to generate hooks for adventures in the surrounding area, and then from that going ever outwards into a larger world.

I have Scenic Dunnsmouth, but that seems very specific to running the same village over and over. Has anyone hacked it in to being a useful tool for making new villages as players explore?

I've had a success with using Vornheim as a generic city builder.

Haven't found anything for generating worlds at the hexcrawl level.

Need maps.

Red Tide from Kevin Crawford is what you're looking for.

With An Echo, Resounding for a bit more crunch to the world. It's pretty sweet and full of useful advice and rules gubbins.

"My first dungeon" after having ran Tower of the Stargazer. Trying to make a list of some cool monsters and dangerous stuff, and stuff worth stealing. Following Goblin Punch's "Dungeon Checklist".

Sample of some stuff:

A magic sword loaded with a "Fireball" spell, that is lit aflame as long as it still has the spell, but is too hot to handle without protective gloves.

Orcs competing who is the bravest and who can collect the most skulls, walking around with giant cleavers, but prone to bickering and counting even orc skulls into the tally should one of them have to much back chat.

A long wall that has an iron gate, flanked by two lazy looking statues. One of the statues is leaning on a spear, the other is holding a bow and arrow. When walking through the the gate the spear statue only shifts position slightly, leaning the other way; the arrow statue shots you with its arrow.

You should try to get the earliest testable product you can get. If leaving out demihumans allow you to get something out into the hands of people so they can test and play it, do it!

There's supposedly some really good articles about this in the Links to Wisdom (google the name and it'll show up) under "Location-based resources"

I want to buy the Chris Perkin's AD&D 3rd edition player's handbook but he doesn't seem to have it on print. Any suggestions?

Back.

mega.nz/#F!Z9cxRArC!i3qYS9xwllhlZAgz0xNgVQ

Hope it doesn't get taken down this week cause I just don't have the time.

He can't legally publish it.

Good work mang

Why in gods name did Raggi not include a Fireball spell in LotFP?

Thought it didn't fit what he was going for, obviously.

Well, I suppose that's as good a reason as any. I was just bummed out I had to open up another book for a rule suggestion for a big splashy fireball spell.

>a rule suggestion for a big splashy fireball spell

Not to be a dick, but oldschool Fireball is 3rd level spell, 1d6 damage per caster level (so it starts at 5d6), save for half damage and it, you know, burns stuff. I can't imagine who didn't memorize it by now.

Someone who just started playing? Everyone has to start out somewhere. No reason to be a dick.

Any ideas on simplifying encumbrance rules for systems where everything is statted-out in lbs? I don't want to make my players add up every little piece of gear. But I also don't want the elf to go into the dungeon armed with 20 throwing axes and leave with 50 silver ingots in his pockets.

Try using either this

or this.

A) Just wing it. If somebody looks like they're carrying enough to weigh themselves down, they are. You could maybe give them the option of doing the actual math to prove you wrong, but they won't want to do that because 1. it's a big hassle and 2. you gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first place so it's probably fruitless.

B) Use something like the system in the pic here . One advantage of it is that if you ever want to precisely stat something out, a stone is 14 pounds, so you can do that without shifting to a completely different system.

Noice. Thanks a bunch.

Here's the MCC preview.

beyond the wall has some stuff

Running a DCC Road Crew game tonight. I'm loving the free swag they sent the group. They're pretty cool dudes.

>Links
>pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

I wonder if the author of this is still around, a couple of those links are busted.

Which ones? Except the trove which is kept alive by CUTT.

Well the Trove obviously but we've been having issues with it recently.

Line 7, Critkeeper. It's moved to critkeeper.site88.net
Line 41, Sword and Wizardry White Box
Line 68, Dark Dungeons

what are some expected places you find inspiration? recently heard about the town made of ships that san francisco used to be from a podcast on design. it really sparked something in me 99percentinvisible.org/episode/making-up-ground/

Usually various blogs and Veeky Forums. Sometimes tv shows and rarely books, I stopped reading non-professional literature ages ago. Turned my memory capacity and attention span to absolute crap by now. Sometimes ideas just pop in and I'm quickly stitching them together, hopefully so I can use them in a game soon or at least masturbate to them actually being coherent.

Am I correct in assuming OSR are like old tabletop RPG editions that fall in line of "public domain"? Cause when the troves were up, I saw a lot of old D&D rulebooks and material and folders to other RPGs of old so I'm assuming OSR is like a legacy thing? I'm sorta new to this whole tabletop RPG culture and shit, by the way.

OSR is broad term, mostly associated with pre-WotC D&D editions but it's also about oldschool styles of play, refining of practices that made those games enjoyable, new ideas and whatnot.

Bumping the trove message, by the way.

For the most part, no, it's not in public domain. In the broadest sense, OSR (Old School Renaissance/Revival) refers to a style of role playing games from the '70s-'80s, in the same way you can group music by the year it came out. There are similar mechanical tendencies that even games of different genres would share, that shifted through the ages. Again, just like music. The term OSR includes those old games, and also games trying to emulate them.
However there do happen to be a large amount of new OSR games that are free or have a free version (like a book with no art), so it's understandable why you might think that.

Thank you. I'm going to download this and keep it backed up, so I can reupload it if needed.

You can't since it calls itself D&D and is not owned by WotC or TSR. Best you can do is to print it out but it would cost a bit unless you can get it done super cheap/free somewhere.

printme1.com will do 175 pages for like $11.99, and $0.039 per page above that. OfficeMax will also do print on demand, for a little more.

Maybe make a clone of it without the LotFP stuff?

The most recent takedown had nothing to do with LotFP, it was New Big Dragon Games Unlimited, who made the PX1 basic psionics book. Dinks.

This seems like a pretty good compromise, I'll give it a shot.

I need /osr/'s wisdom.

In a recent session I DM'd myself into a corner, had to "think fast", and had my players know the location of a certain dungeon, on an isolated island in the middle of the ocean.

I had to come up with a name fast and called it "Palace of the Silver Princess" because I had just read B3, but I just stole the name. No relation.

Essentially, the backstory would be that from an ancient and advanced civilization was crippled when a star fell from the sky (a fragment of a spaceship, but the PCs only suspect this) crashed into their capital. From within the flaming wreck emerged monsters and creatures that they were not equipped or prepared to fight.

The heir to the civilization (that the PCs know simply as the Silver Princess) left the civilization and traveled via sea seeking... something. possibly help, or a secret weapon, or maybe just evacuating.

The PCs might end up exploring the place. And I guess I could design this dungeon.

The problem is that I am really, REALLY lazy.

Can you suggest me a published adventure module that features an appropriate or adaptable dungeon? Possibly not an excessively long one.

Party level is 4-6, and we're running B/X (actually Labyrinth Lord).

(And yes, that ship is the one from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and I hope it'll be relevant later in the game)

What the hell is attack rate and weapon speed.

Honestly one thing I am trying to work more into my games that I always have difficulty with are festivals, holy days, funeral processions, weddings, or other public celebrations that add life and colour to a city. Even though their occurrence would be less frequent in smaller premodern populations, this is sort of counterweighted by the fact that they're generally pretty public occasions and make up a very big part of everyday life.

Not clear on the question. Are you looking for a dungeon in addition to Barrier Peaks?

Has Perdition shown up in any of the smaller troves yet?

I haven't seen it yet. Unfortunate, because I'm very interested.

Does ACKS have a second edition, or only just the one?

Anyone got a copy of the Rad-Hack to share?

Need that Shining South map. FR16 pdf is incomplete. Trove is incomplete as a result.

Just the one, how could they improve upon perfection.

So guys, any of you know any resources, blogs, ect. for sci fi old schooling? I want to Starships and Spacemen it up but, I am finding none of the infrastructure I am used to with fantasy old school.

There's an errata and maybe a second edition will eventually be in the works (likely just incorporating the errata), but there's a lot of products the company wants to work through first, like an Auran Empire setting guide or the like.

I wouldn't say the system's flawless. I think spears need a bit of toning down in the game, and the domain system is rather clunky in practice, but it's definitely full of resources that have broad application and are easily portable to other rulesets. ACKS has something of use to almost any campaign you can run.

What are some cool permanent powers PCs could get after adventuring and surviving for quite some time? Stuff like water breathing or improved senses and such.

>I am finding none of the infrastructure I am used to with fantasy old school.

Welcome to the sci fi ghetto, user.

Yeah, I figured... thanks...

How do people generally feel about Basic Fantasy Role Playing? I picked up a hard copy a while back, but I haven't done very much with it.

Like most Basic clones, it seems fine to me. Attack bonuses and ascending AC are more straightforward than THAC0, and are pretty common changes. It does kind of irk me that they kept the old school ad hoc saving throw categories and didn't use a similar "die roll + bonus vs. target number" system for them. If you're going to use the d20 mechanic, why would you only apply it in one place? That actually makes things less consistent.

I'm not a fan of splitting race and class, but you may feel differently. Other than that, it's pretty much standard fare. It's not one of my favorite systems, but neither is it far behind those, and with a few tweaks, it could be made virtually identical to them. And there's pretty much no chance that I won't make at least a few tweaks to whatever system I'm playing.

Hit up traveller general, if those still exist.

yeah old school runescape is pretty good

Feats of strength--three times in their life, they can do something like Hercules could. Flatten a mountain, pick up a river and change its course, throw a rope to the moon and climb up it, etc. Strictly for insane mythical bullshit, not just picking up a big rock or something.

After the third action, they die (or something. Maybe their strength drops to 5 after that and they're enfeebled for the rest of their days).

Some stuff for thieves.

These maps are sexy; Forgotten Realms box set?

Piecing together every 1 inch = 30 miles map from every True AD&D Forgotten Realms accessory. That's from The Horde boxed set, others are Al-Qadim Land of Fate box set, Great Glacier expansion, Jungles of Chult expansion / adventure, Anauroch expansion. Some are too big to upload. The map in the campaign setting itself covers the Realms proper. Trying to piece all these together so I can add them on to it and make a mega-map. Need FR16 The Shining South pdf with the map included so I can connect Lands of Intrigue maps to Jungles of Chult and Zakhara.

Here are the maps from The North boxed set.

It's been a blast from the past; I got into D&D in part through (of course) the classic Drizzt novels and the 3e Forgotten Realms book. However, now that I've gotten into OSR stuff, it's really interesting to see how they reflect 2e

Is this too big? Testing.

You can see all the Drizzt areas in The North map, from Ten Towns and Reghed Glacier to Kelvin's Cairn and Icingdeath's lair to the Trollmoors and Longsaddle to Menzoberranzen and Mithril Hall.

Here's when Drizzt sailed to Calimshan.

Here are the two Al-Qadim maps stitched together.

Reply ending in 7 names my (upcoming) RPG blog

GO GO GO

Hopeful content: brainstorms for a couple of systems I'm working on, OSR hacks and houserules, fluff galore, and some Dungeon World business.

Stars. Without. Number. As a game, it has all the infrastructure to run a game that you might want. Also, Classic Traveller.

Yeah, blogs, though. Eh.

Spellbound boxed set, map 1

Map 2

Lands of Intrigue boxed set.

cheatingrobotarm.blogspot.com