GW jobs

Recently I've been talking to a lot of sculptors and other people that have worked in the industry that have tried to work for GW, all of which have tins of experience and great work but never got hired.

Does GW not hire anyone outside of the EU or UK anymore?

They obviously need talented staff and there's plenty of talent out there, but they won't get hired.

Why is it so hard for talented, qualified people to get hired by GW?

I forgot to add, I think there is an issue with the jobs page.

If you apply for a position once, you can't apply for that position ever again. So, for instance, if you apply for the trainee miniature designer position and don't get hired, but months later your skills improve and they list the position again, you can't apply for it.

People improve, so why don't they let people reapply later on?

How many months?
Less than 12 tends more toward pestering.

It varied, but a few guys I talked to applied back in 2016 for a position, they posted the position again last month but it wouldn't let them reapply, stating they had already applied for that position.

That just seems weird to me.

I'm considering applying, but it feels like they don't hire anyone from the USA anymore, or at least to work at the HQ in the UK.

>It varied, but a few guys I talked to applied back in 2016 for a position

Are you from the fucking future?

With Brexit looming, it's pretty much a given they'll only be hiring from the UK from now on.

Your retarded is showing.

Tom "we hire for attitude, not for skill" Kirby is not CEO anymore but still has pretty big word at the board. Rumor has it they purposefully schedule decisive meetings to overlap with his planned vacation.

>bringing in foreign help after deliberately moving to cut off foreign help

Uh huh

Sufficiently qualified people will still get work visa / work permit just fine.

>Are you from the fucking future?

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 2015.

Roundtree is responsible for that. Rumor has it RT's been pretty instrumental in GW's changing tune as well, from their fluff blogs and reintroducing hobby elements, to tournaments and reworking 40k. AoS was too far down the pipeline to stop, unfortunately.

>AoS was too far down the pipeline to stop, unfortunately.
Ever since the generals handbook I've heard nothing but good things about AoS from the people who play it. I even saw a buy-in AoS tournament a few weeks back that had every table full.

Not sure if that was planned originally for AoS or not, but either all, all the other stuff Roundtree has done has made me think they are serious about changing the status quo in the hobby.

>EU
>Help

I just think it's odd that I've met a lot of people that have great work but GW hadn't picked them up.

>America is in the EU

>on't hire anyone from the USA anymore
After the huge hack that is jeremy vetock? such thing was a huge mistake.

Well, Kirby was up his own ass, and was pulling "dying business 101" type stuff on GW since he basically got into power, feeding his ego while cutting off parts of GW to keep it afloat.

Roundtree seems to at least somewhat understand the games portion and its appeal, so he's been trying to rebuild all that Kirby destroyed that drive sales and keep the game alive.

>jeremy vetock

Huh? That guy goes all the way back to the early 90's when he ran the Laurel Center Mall GW.

He's been part of GW for a really long time, one of the "Old Guard".

Why's he hated now?

Because nerds like to get upset over nothing.

>After the huge hack that is jeremy vetock? such thing was a huge mistake.

HAH!

You want hacks? Go to work for Privateer Press. After 2-3 months of working there you'll wonder how the fuck they managed to stay in business this long.

why would I work there to begin with? lol

Problem is the talent of the industry it's all scattered now. It used to be concentrated on GW but they got fed up thanks to fucking kirby the faggot. I dont know how someone didnt shot him before he stepped down.

I think the real problem with what happened with the industry is that more and more companies are small start-ups that outsource their manufacturing to China, so the company itself is 5-10 friends working out of a garage or studio.

Even PP has reduced their staff recently. I think the days of large gaming companies is over.

Next to GW, I think the only large players are (I think) Warlord, Mantic and Battlefront, and even those guys are fairly small.

GW are humongous penny pinchers. As in to an extreme degree and part of that is paying the absolute bare minimum for staff and not being willing to pay more for experience/talent.

Why is PP bad?

If you have inside info, can you also tell me why their models all look like shit? They've been the #1 contender to GW's throne, and is fast being overtaken by x-wing thanks to their shit-tier miniatures.

I think alot of people forget who we are dealing with. It's GW, which is business first, quality after.
When this happends in a company (i.e, your sufficiently holding yourself in the profit range), then tend to hit the maximize income button.

A good sculptor, one who makes Fucking great stuff, isn't what they want. What they want is someone who can follow a formula: most buck for least bang. Can you skirt the "acceptable model that rides hype" without it taking alot to make? We have all seen it: models are easier to produce yet cost the same/more.

Imagine a billboard company wants to make an orange juice add. Do they look for the generations Michelangelo, pay him what he's worth and end up with a work of art the target audience wont appreciate? Or just get the guy in college who needs some freelance bucks, puts an orange on a board and gets the point across?

We live in a shitty place we're "oover qualified" actually leave you in career purgatory

No, but I had a couple roommates that worked for them and it seemed the hated going to work there everyday, but they needed the paycheck.

I wasn't really interested in the details, but overall they said it was filled with incompetents and the owners seemed to lose interest after they had moved to LA.

Are you sure it's not just your former roommates being the kind of people that just hate going to work in general.

>Are you sure it's not just your former roommates being the kind of people that just hate going to work in general.

No, it was the company, or more specifically some of the people there.

I've heard far worse from other staff that have left and also on some forums.

Which blog is this

AoS, from what I've seen in anecdotes, does pretty poorly in the US outside of major cities where it does worse than 40k, X-Wing, and Warmahordes.