Ever had a single player ruin your entire session??

Let me just begin by saying that this was my first time ever DMing a series of sessions. The sessions I headed were branched off from our main campaign, where 4 characters from the party ventured off to get supplies from a village and were sealed inside because of a plague that popped up overnight.

The first two sessions were great–no one suspected what I was doing, the players were making mediocre rolls. Basically, most everything was going to plan.

We were relaying what had happened in the first two sessions to another player when he said, “I want to join the next session!”

This player is the DM of our main campaign. This should have been a red flag to me. But no. I had to be Mrs. Nice Guy and say, yeah, I could incorporate his character into the next session. It would be great fun, I thought to myself.

We will refer to this person as Diablo, one reason because that is what we call him, and the second reason because after this experience i truly saw Lucifer in his eyes.

I successfully get his character into the quarantined village, he reunites with his party members, and together they all find out that the village had been cursed by a devil worshiper and they had to find out who the person was.

This is when I realized I had made a mistake.

They had stumbled upon an enchanted box, protected by a ghost-like creature, and Diablo kept rolling natural 20 after natural 20, doing things like casting certain spells on the ghost that would give them a disadvantage. The ghost was dead before the first turn even ended

Even then, I thought, “Okay, whatever, this is just a bump in the road.”

Clearly I was wrong.

As if Diablo’s presence had made Jesus Christ himself cry on the dice, everyone began to make great rolls. The person who had the worst rolls in the sessions was now rolling 15s and 19s. These god-forsaken players used this stroke of luck to take a letter with some words smudged out and pester me to let them rub it with charcoal or some shit to see what it said.

I adamantly refused. I put my foot down. I said, “Hell no, we can beat around the bush til the cows come home, I’m not allowing it.”

You all have to understand, it was 5 peoples against one, and eventually I just said, fuck it, do it. I prayed that they would get a shitty roll. I prayed to every deity there was.

My hopes, however, were squandered when DIABLO STEPPED UP TO TAKE THE ROLL. And what do you think this asshole rolled? That’s right, tater tots, A NATURAL 20.

I'll be nice and bump, but you best ask a question at the end so we can keep the thread rolling.

Time s”emed to stop. I flipped off the players as I read what the letter said. They immediately figured out who the villain was and went to confront her.

And this tittylicker Diablo, upon the villain revealing herself, was like “I CAST ELDRITCH BLAST ON HER LEGS SO SHE CAN’T RUN AWAY.”

This time I really did put my foot down.

“HELL NO. SHE TELEPORTS AWAY BEFORE YOU CAN DO THAT.”

Diablo, at this point, for the rest of the session and onwards, rolled anything above a 15. You can probably see where this is going.

So the party makes their way down through a secret passage and they have the final confrontation with our villain, who is trying to channel the devil she worships.

Before the battle even fucking starts, Diablo says, “I cast hex on her.”

For those who are unaware, “hex” is a move that, if successful, gives its victim a disadvantage on wisdom saving throws.

I should have said, “diablo, wait for the battle to start.” I should have told him no. I should have done something. But I was desperate to just get this show on the road. So I let him do it.

He rolls. I am at the edge of my seat. For a moment, Diablo puts his face in his hands and heaves a sigh. My heart leaps in my chest. Such a face could only mean a shitty roll, I thought.

Diablo then turned, looked me dead in the eyes, and said, “You’re going to hate me for this.”

Natural. Twenty.

He saw the sorrow in my eyes. I accused him of flipping the die. He proceeded to take a picture of his screen and send it in our Skype group chat.

Sure enough, it was a natural 20.

In that moment, I had never wanted to hit another human more than I did Diablo.

The battle begins. Diablo rolls initiative. Of course he gets like a 19 so he’s the first to go. And you know what? This moldy piece of goat cheese used moves that required a wisdom saving throw.

AND THE WORST PART IS, THE PLAYERS WERE FOLLOWING HIS LEAD.

The villain was technically dead before the first turn ended, but I had had it. I screeched at them that this battle would not be over, that these asstitties had ruined my session, they’d really stirred my pasta in the wrong direction. So I kept adding HP to a level 5 villain and I kept screaming whenever these assholes made a roll.

So I had MY character make the final blow. But the damage was done. That battle was supposed to have lasted at least three turns. It ended in one. The villain only got to make one move. I was devastated.

To this day, I have nightmares. I lie awake at night wondering that if I hadn’t let Diablo into this game of Dungeons and Dipshits, things would have been better. Perhaps I could have put more meat into the session instead of having to improvise every five seconds when Diablo ruined my plan. I had so much planned. But, in less than 2 hours, my plans were thwarted, and as I crashed to the ground, screaming to the heavens, Diablo laughed over my crumbling body.

And the worst part is, I’m probably going to DM another session. He’ll probably join it.

What should I have done differently, Veeky Forums?? Should I kick him from my group?? How do you deal with jerk players??

You sure it's not just a problem with some weighted dice?

>rolling for hex
this story is made up.

>“hex” is a move that, if successful, gives its victim a disadvantage on wisdom saving throws.

hex doesn't affect saving throws, famalam

The story is made up anyway, it's beat for beat formulaic.

Right. Ability saves, not SAVING throws.

The problem isn't a player, OP, its you being a fucking dumbass who doesn't know the rules of the fucking game.

Aside from the, "no, OP was teh That Guy" tweest. Maybe it was supposed to be parody?

Also, hex isn't rolled. Its just inflicted, instantly when cast.

Of course, if this story is true at all OP is just a massive asshole in every single way, but!

If this isn't a fake ass story (which it is) then you're just a fucking poor sport

Aside of the questionable validity of this story, you OP, are a really sour bitch of a DM.

>MY character
>DMPC
I rest my case.

Probability that OP lacks this much self-awareness and is actually this much of a railroading faggot < Probability of him being a troll

>What should I have done differently
you should stop being a little bitch. They literally did nothing wrong.

>jerk
>for rolling dices

>He proceeded to take a picture of his screen and send it in our Skype group chat.
>Sure enough, it was a natural 20.

You know, if I didn't already think this story was fake I would think your retarded.
5/10
Make the "op was that guy all along" twist less obvious and i will give it a 6/10.
overal its ok.

>A Die
>A Dice
>A set of Dice

Dices however is fucking wrong.

>This player is the DM of our main campaign. This should have been a red flag to me
Wat

Are DMs inherently bad players now?

As for the rest of the story, the impression I got is that this individual powergames slightly more than the rest of the group, which can be annoying but is ok once you know pretty well what you're doing. Maybe ask him to tone it down a bit in future.

Also apparently people having a run if good luck is somehow his fault?

>This moldy piece of goat cheese used moves that required a wisdom saving throw.
What was he supposed to do, set up a weakness in his opponent and then not take advantage of it?

The amount of effort you put into this makes it hard for me to tell if this is bait or actually serious user...

Who do you think you're fooling?

>MY character

>jerk for rolling lots of 20s
Running SpergTranslater...

>What should I have done differently, Veeky Forums?? Should I stop dming entirely?? Why am I such a shit GM??

I must admit that this is an amusingly piquant pastiche of the typical Veeky Forums greentext tale, OP. I for one tittered daintly as I reapplied my beauty mark.

You're a terrible DM and you should stop.

The entire point of DMing is to be able to roll with the player's actions. Never assume the players won't fuck up your campaign. Have backup plans for everything and never ever put all of your plot eggs in one basket, because if there is a way RNGsus can ruin your carefully crafted plotline, he will.

Go home, put your Dungeon Master's guide away, never take it out again. You obviously can't handle it if you got this upset over some good rolls messing up a pretty bog-standard plotline.

WOW.
Dude.
This is a masterpiece of a trainwreck of bait.
This passed obvious, circled around twice, then landed in shit.
Let’s turn this story into an Obvious Bait Drinking Game:
(Gonna let the “??” slide as I don’t know if everyone finds that as annoying as me.)

>4 characters from the party ventured off
Never split the party! *DRINKS*

>players were making mediocre rolls. Basically, most everything was going to plan.
That DM planning on mediocre rolls. *DRINKS*

>This player is the DM of our main campaign. This should have been a red flag to me.
DM’s are shit players *DRINKS*

>But no. I had to be Mrs. Nice Guy
TOGTFO *DRINKS*

>Diablo kept rolling natural 20 after natural 20
LOL NAT 20! *DRINKS*

>These god-forsaken players used this stroke of luck to take a letter with some words smudged out and pester me to let them rub it with charcoal or some shit to see what it said.
Players coming up with ideas is bad *DRINKS*

>I adamantly refused. … You all have to understand, it was 5 peoples against one, and eventually I just said, fuck it, do it.
Wishy-washy DM *DRINKS*

>And what do you think this asshole rolled? That’s right, tater tots, A NATURAL 20.
LOL tater tots! *DRINKS*
LOL NAT 20! *DRINKS*

>this tittylicker Diablo
LOL Creative cursing! *DRINKS*

>“HELL NO. SHE TELEPORTS AWAY BEFORE YOU CAN DO THAT.”
That DM pulls bullshit to save villain *DRINKS*

>I should have said, “diablo, wait for the battle to start.”
What is initiative? *DRINKS*

>I should have told him no.
That DM prevents PCs from using abilities. *DRINKS*

>Natural. Twenty.
LOL NAT 20! *DRINKS*

>He proceeded to take a picture of his screen and send it in our Skype group chat.
Totally not cheating! *DRINKS*

>Sure enough, it was a natural 20.
LOL NAT 20! *DRINKS*

>In that moment, I had never wanted to hit another human more than I did Diablo.
Good rolls deserve violence! *DRINKS*

Gotta pause to get more drinks…

>This moldy piece of goat cheese…
LOL Creative insults! *DRINKS*

>…used moves that required a wisdom saving throw.
That DM hates PCs for using abilities. *DRINKS*

>AND THE WORST PART IS, THE PLAYERS WERE FOLLOWING HIS LEAD.
That DM hates PCs for using abilities. *DRINKS*
Players coming up with ideas is bad *DRINKS*

>The villain was technically dead before the first turn ended, but I had had it.

>I screeched at them
Good rolls and tactics deserve screeching *DRINKS*

>these asstitties
LOL Creative cursing! *DRINKS*

>they’d really stirred my pasta in the wrong direction.

>So I kept adding HP to a level 5 villain

>I kept screaming whenever these assholes made a roll.
Good rolls deserve screaming *DRINKS*

>So I had MY character make the final blow.
DMPC *DRINKS*
That DM has DMPC kill villain *DRINKS*
(technically OP was presumedly playing PC in the game this split off from, but it counts)

That battle was supposed to have lasted at least three turns. It ended in one. The villain only got to make one move. I was devastated.
Being upset over a two turn difference in battle length *DRINKS*

>To this day, I have nightmares.
Having nightmares over a poorly CR balanced villain and good rolls *DRINKS*

>I lie awake at night wondering that if I hadn’t let Diablo into
Blaming player for good rolls *DRINKS*

>this game of Dungeons and Dipshits

>I had so much planned.
Railroading! *DRINKS*

>Diablo laughed over my crumbling body.

>What should I have done differently, Veeky Forums??
Asking Veeky Forums open ended question of what you did wrong *DRINKS*

>Should I kick him from my group??

>How do you deal with jerk players??

Is that 38 drinks? Damn.

I don't get it, why does OP have a character if he's the DM???

>Mrs. Nice Guy
>All "diablo" does is get lucky
>The villain only got to make one move. I was devastated
>I have nightmares
>So I had MY character make the final blow.

You really expect anyone to fall for this shit? Still, amusing story OP. Please throw yourself in front of a bus.

I have alcohol poisoning now, thanks.

Anyways, I guess you tried to combine all of the bad gm traits into one single green text OP, so it was kind of worth the read.

>Man plans, God laughs.