Strike Witches RPG Thread 3. No more rabbit tits edition

The SWHR v0.5.0 is ready for scrutiny, so it's time for a new thread.

I will be posting PDFs shortly.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oiyM3w_DxPv9IdXFKWppEe4k4k-6CKGelCpYUl1rfE0/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oiyM3w_DxPv9IdXFKWppEe4k4k-6CKGelCpYUl1rfE0/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Lots of new stuff this edition, so there will surely be lots of room for debate, discussion, and scrutiny.
If you see something you don't understand, or a typo; etc, let me know.

Updates will be slower than last weekend, but I'll be lurking so long as there's a thread.

I'm going to be away for a bit but I wanted to go ahead and get the thread in here before I go. I'll read up when I get back if anyone joins in.

>two threads up
Well this is awkward.

Reposting a question I asked over in the other thread:

Are the striker bonuses gonna be reworked for the house rules? I found that some of the bonuses get weird because they're supposed to work explicitly for the DitS rules, like the P-40 Warhawk on the China table, which gives a bonus for Guns (AtG), but doesn't work because skills are now separated by firearm types. Will a striker bonuses table be included, or some footnote of how they're supposed to change for house rules?

This record sheet mock-up was posted by NEA at the tail end of the last thread. IIRC, the spaces are the bottom corners are for Basic and Advanced skill lists.

Yeah just needs a bit more modification for a few things like in
I also forgot to add needs space for familiars.

Which one do we let live? The first or the one by the document maker?

I'm gonna primary be posting on this one since the OP from the older threads made it. Reposting shit from the other thread.

Reposting shit from the other thread

Witch Database: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oiyM3w_DxPv9IdXFKWppEe4k4k-6CKGelCpYUl1rfE0/edit?usp=sharing

Veeky Forums-created JFW:
Name: 509th Joint Fighter Wing "Mobius Witches"
Operation Base: Istanbul (previously Moesia but had to retreat after the Neuroi advance on the Balkans)
Theater of Operations: Near East and the Black Sea
Emblem is pic related.

I would actually make a note that the striker bonuses apply to using any gun-class weapon (so, not missiles or bombs) when engaging an airborne target, or a ground target instead. That's a much easier change than redoing the bonuses, and it keeps with my original intent that aircraft which were particularly hard-hitting against airborne targets got the AtA bonus, and aircraft which were notable for making air-to-ground attacks got the AtG bonus.

Good thing I refreshed the page before I posted that. I'm gone for the weekend (camping with no internet devices), but if there's any commentary or suggestions for the record sheet, I'd like to hear them and I'll pull suggestions out of the archive if necessary.

> the true calling

>not pantsu
not the true calling

>full-body pantsu
truest calling

So basically a one-piece?

truest

is this where /ak/ommandos go after death?

>there's any commentary or suggestions for the record sheet

There was some in the other thread. Mostly stuff you haven't gotten around to putting on the sheet yet; familiar, more speed information (accel, etc), HP, and the stuff that's being added in the homebrew rules. As far as I'm concerned your overall layout and general theme is completely fine. I like the fact that the bar containing the attributes isn't fuckoff huge like it is on most of the BL/FFG percentile system games. The external ordnance section can probably be reduced in size, but I get that it makes a pretty sheet to have it there and that large. I'd consider moving the Striker box to the left and putting an equal-sized Familiar box next to it. Underneath, reduce the Ordnance box and have Speed/Magic/Hit Points all in a row.

Good work (and good work on the generator in the first place; I don't think I ever told you that in previous threads).

Some user was wanting me to put my homemade rules for 2010 witches in the other thread. Would anyone else be interested in that as well?

Already did friendo. Or well, linked to my post in the other thread.

do eet

Strikers

Su-25
T +5 +2 armor to all locations
Hardpoints: 4
Chaff: 2

F-16
A +10
Hardpoints: 2
Chaff: 5

F-15
T +5 +1 to Armor on all locations
Hardpoints: 3
Chaff: 3

Su-35
A+5
Hardpoints: 3
Chaff:3

Harrier
A+5 T+5
Hardpoints: 2
Chaff: 3

Missiles:
AIM-9L R 60-180 D 1D10+3 Air to Air, Heat Seeking I

AIM-9R R 60-180 D 1D10+3 Air to Air, Heat Seaking II

AIM-9X R 60-180 D 1D10+3 Air to Air, Heat Seaking III

AIM-54 R 60-BLOS D 2D10 Air to Air, Lock on! II, Blast (2)

AIM-120 R 60-BLOS D 1D10+3 Air to Air, Lock on! I

Mavrick R 40- 180 D 2D10+5 Air to Ground
Heatseaking (I, II, III) The person trying to defend against a weapon with this quality takes a -10% penalty for every level the weapon has.

Lock on! (I, II) Firing this missile, the user must spend the number of turns specified to locking on to the target.

Chaff: Using Chaff gives a +20% to dodge actions vs missiles

Afterburn: Spend 1 magic point to double your agility bonus

Lance weapons:

These were the bare basics we came up with.

Sorry it wasn't much or very good

So our first session last sunday night went pretty well for introduction. The party is going to be based in Iceland, allowing for scenic vistas, mountainous dogfights, and relaxing hotsprings for the 510th Joint Fighter Wing, who has yet to figure out a name for themselves.

The plan is to run this sunday at 5 Eastern.

Oh fuck me I would've joined in if I'd known.

Is it on roll20 so we can watch?

It's on IRC, on Rizon's server. I've got a flight of 5 though, which is probably the most I'd want to GM at once.

No I understand. I'm content for watching.

Dang, I meant to watch that, but I had an essay due that night.

Eh, it was mostly silence since we're still trying to figure out the characters, first session awkwardness and all that

I might save and post logs at some point.

There's no space for "color of panties". C'mon, you're slipping.

user made a passionate defense for leaving the color and design of panties up to the player's imagination

Also, either there won't be enough space for it, or nobody wants to hear you describe your underwear that's stepping dangerously close to ERP territory

like pre-20s girls walking around w/out pants 24/7 isn't

>Someone saved my speech
I'm tearing up a little.

So would anyone be interested in a bit of "make them bleed for every inch of ground" action in a campaign of delaying actions across the Balkans? I might be able to start running it in a couple weeks.

Uh, drawfag and Vittoria Minguzzi's player here. Just realized there was another strike witches thread, so bringing over the second draft of the 509th emblem.

Sounds comfy. Does the 510th need an emblem?

I would.

I would be quite interested. What days/times are we talking? I'm in Mountain timezone, but my sleep patterns are odd. It might be hard to fit me in depending on when you're looking at playing.

Now now, it wasn't that bad. Someone just needed to make the first move.
I think the end result is at least entertaining.

Weekend nights probably, West Coast time. I'm thinking Saturday nights right now.

My Saturday nights are pretty open and West Cost time is similar enough to my own.

I could probably make it work, I'm Central.

I'm totally down.

Saturday works for me. I'm mountain time. I'm by the way.

Yes, have been waiting for this the whole week!
Here, have some below average drawfaggotry I started when the last thread was up but couldn't finish before it went down.
Anne S. Lehtovaara, proud suomi, also known as Erika S. for some (for reasons).

I also saw just after starting to draw that apparently I rolled the height in the old system, and ended up being 1,78m tall... but well I kinda went with that just because my weapon is already an astonishing 2,20m long, I didn't want the size disparity to be *that* big.

And i capped you.

Alright. I'll get started on all the necessary campaign notes.

>roll up witch based on IAF ace because there aren't many Ottoman aces
>pilot famed for vision, roll magic antenna
>then I remember that all the Abrahamic religions are dead
fucking Japs

>IAF
Israeli Air Force? Iraqi Air Force?

And the pilot could just be Neo-Zoroastrian or something

Israeli

>Iraqi aces
[Tomcat noises]

And why would Neo-Zoroastrians be in the nottoman empire rather than in the not!Persia?

Remember that the Neuroi poured out of the Black Sea, so several hundred kilometers north of Istanbul is gigantic super hive that the combined navies are probably doing their hardest to suppress enemy forces coming out of that area

Because the not!Ottomans aren't going to be Islamic anymore, and since there's no Muslims to overthrow the Sassanids, I figured Zoroastrianism would stick around way longer

The timeline split leads to a lot of interesting stuff.

I was gonna have them be Tegrist, but then I remembered that the Seljuks converted to Islam in OTL when they left the rest of the Oghuz Turks and moved into Persia, so in this timeline with Zoroastrianism still around they'd probably convert to that and take it west into Anatolia and the Balkans.

Fucking hell, Japan, why'd you have to kill the Jews and make everything so complicated.

Aye, another interesting part is that the lack of communism in this world leads to weird after effects. Karlsland has no radicalism, Orussia is still inefficiently absolute monarchist, no Communist Party to oppose the KMT thus creating a united China.

If there's gonna be a parallel Cold War, the conflict may instead be monarchism vs democracy or something

But that's enough historical speculation back to posting witches

I've got "constant urban holding action in western Istanbul to keep the Bosphorus open so the ships can get in and out when shit goes bad" and "constant struggle to keep the Neuroi from getting a foothold on the eastern and southern coasts of the Black Sea by Nottoman and not!Russian forces" so far.

Also maybe ethnoreligious conflict being only barely held in check by the Neuroi that are RIGHT FUCKING THERE Spanish Civil War-style.

fuck that alternate history only no items final destination

>tfw the Byzantines are an offshoot of Roman paganists
>tfw there's no Protestant Reformation to fuck up European politics
>tfw the Greeks follow a weird mashup of Greek and Roman paganism
>tfw the Liberion motto is "In Odin We Trust"

>not having the Greeks be Greco-Buddhist but separated from the Indian Greco-Buddhists and have a religious schism between them
>Brittanian colony following a Nordic religion rather than a weird mix of Nordic, Celtic, and Roman religion as befits the weird mashup of language they speak

You gotta be even more imaginative, man.

>Late Roman mystery cults are still a big thing
>religious conflict between unified Germanic church and former Roman lands
>mongols and other turkic groups spread Tengrism across Eastern Europe

It's a shame that there can't be Manichaeism because there's no Christianity for Mani to get inspired by.
>Iranian dude takes Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity, mashes them all up, and makes up his own bits
>this is an actual competitor to Christianity for a time, and spreads as far as China

Just a question, what will we be using to run the system?

DitS and improvisation.

Oh durr, I should've stated that better. I mean IRC/Roll 20.

Oh, I'm thinking IRC? I don't really know roll20 that well.

Okay that works for me. Its been years since I've used IRC, so I'll brush up on it.

I haven't been this exited in a long time

I've actually never played over IRC. How does it do rolls?

We'd need a dicebot.

Looks super cute. What's her magical ability again?

Just want to say that I really love this emblem. If only I could get a patch of it.

Deflection Shooting

Here's the spreadsheet someone put together last thread of all the witches

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oiyM3w_DxPv9IdXFKWppEe4k4k-6CKGelCpYUl1rfE0/edit#gid=0

One of us could possibly order up a set for people from one of those custom patch places someday.

That is a thing I'd be interested in playing depending on the timeframe IRL

Yes.
Some step closer to being a stand-alone game I intend to do a little research and re-stat the strikers. It's low on the priority list though, not only because of the time-consuming nature, but because most of them can be worked around easy enough for the time being.

Sorry that it took me so long to answer. I've actually been back for hours, but because the other guy had already responded I didn't realize the post was bout the house rules.

Since I'm not a history buff, how many points of divergence are we looking at here? Note that 'disturbance' and Ratsel means Neuroi.

A hell of a lot. Julius Caesar survives the Ides of March it looks like, Judea wrecked prevents Christianity from existing, Rome doesn't have to worry about German invasion, Romanized Germans become the WRE, regular romans become ERE, the not!Germany is actually the >Holy >Roman >Empire (how the fuck did I not notice this, this changes a hell of a lot of things), Fuso doesn't go isolationist because their huge resource island because TIME FOR WARCRIME DENIAL JAPAN NEVER IN CHINA (and colonized Liberion, goddamnit Japan), Brittania is still a monarchy?

Jesus Christ (got killed by Neuroi)

>Brittania is still a monarchy?
I think the bit in the timeline is the whole mess with Charles I.

Liberion wasn't colonized by the Fuso. Fuso becomes less isolationist under Nobunaga and as a result industrializes/modernizes earlier. The not!Japanese never go imperial and colonize China they do engage in two wars with Britannia though.

>the not!Germany is actually the >Holy >Roman >Empire
Seems to be on-time though. Napoleon can still be inferred to gone through fighting them, and the not!German Empire is still established in 1871.

Look at the 1620 entry.

FUCK OFF PLANEFAG!

>northern Liberion continent
Faraway land is not Liberion

>Britannian and Gallian settlers vs First Nations samurai

>samurai wearing beaver fur riding moose
PAST SO BRIGHT I GOTTA WEAR SHADES

>pagan cowboys vs samurai indians

>IMASINE

It was a typo

There anyway to join a game at this point? Not very familiar with trying out sessions online.

There's that one proposed campaign up in the thread, not sure if they're still taking on players

I'm not sure how many people want in, so I guess it's still open?

>Dances with Wolves and the Last Samurai are the same movie now.

>Liberion love of guns was influenced by the samurai bringing over a fuckton of muskets

How would that effect the martial disciplines in Liberion? Because we kind of have a very different idea of where martial prowess comes from than the Japanese. Less about inner energies and more about the power of the weapon we hold.

Probably the part where Japan vigorously used guns, cannons and primitive rocket launchers for warfare

I mean, like Japan's martial disciplines often focus on the strength of the user, whereas the discipline of using guns is one of the power of the weapon being used. Blah, brain's not working right.

How would the remaining (read: non-Abrahamic) religions react to the existance of Witches? They seem to have been friendly to the Witches, because there are a metric fuckton of them.

That's because those disciplines you're thinking of all are for close combat. Everyone's disciplines for close combat put a lot of focus on people's strength, because in close combat that's a very, very important thing.

It's also a very important thing in archery, but there's it's a bit more limited since it's a single motion that you're looking it.

For muzzle loading guns you're going to find focus shifting to various ways to make the user just stand there upright and calmly go through the long list of reloading steps, because handling a lit match and blackpowder in close proximity makes that very important. Though that can simply mean falling back on all the material you had already developed to help people not shit their pants as they were walking into combat with older style weapons, and is almost guaranteed to build heavily on your local religious and cultural practices.

But if you want some kind of US-Japanese mix here for martial valor based on musketry then it's the guy who stands there with a Clint Eastwood stoneface as bullets zips past, or through him, because he has already accepted his own death, and will simply do his duty (against his lord, the Lord, the community, or whatever) for as long as he can.

Which is pretty damn close to what chivalry originally was all about (though there a few good spirited jokes may be called for, like thanking the enemy for busting open an artery in your arm since you were pretty thirsty), or the laconic temperament cultivated by the Spartans.

Movie says that humanity and the witches have been fighting Neuroi for millennia, so it seems that most cultures are friendly or support them

>Roman legionary witches putting down Neuroi in the deserts of Judea

That's kind of what I was thinking. The combination of valor and reliance on stuff outside you.

Would martial arts even exist as we know them? Martial arts are suppossed to give you an upper hand if you were fighting another human, but the current enemy can't be properly punched to death.

Also, if the Neuroi existed well before WW1, what form did they take? Catapults? Various other lazor firing siege weapons?
Maybe even the most powerful weapon of the medieval age: the Chevy Cobra?

>I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.

>I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

>I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.

Movie showed off artistic representations of the Neuroi, which apparently looked more bestial than they do now.

Though the Africa doujin has the characters uncover an ancient Neuroi hive buried by the Egyptians, and when the Neuroi get released they look about the same as the Neuroi they're fighting today, possibly implying that the stranger designs the Neuroi come up with are a part of them adapting to fight the technology of WW2

And considering world history still happens despite the occasional Neuroi attack, I'd say martial arts are still around and probably developed similarly to real life. Official timeline already shows their history has mostly human vs human wars.