/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Playable Orc Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Volo's Guide to Monsters is in the Mega. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

Tell me about your VGM race character ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.sli.mg/TUQT3F.png
enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1319
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Fbq7v8pucJVENWZlE5Z2h1T00/view
reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j5qlg/final_version_of_my_5e_dm_screenplayer_cheat_sheet/
enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1141
enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1042
swshinn.com/dnd-5e/rules-summary/
imgur.com/a/47yHG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How'd you guys make Kobolds better?

Play a Bard.

I had the character idea of a Lizardfolk Barbarian who a Dragonborn Bard falls in love with, though a lack of emotions makes the relationship weird. Thus the Barbarian goes on a quest to try and find a way to let themselves love so they can go home and try and make the relationship work.

Probably would want to use a Glaive, maybe a Shield and some Javelins as a backup.

5mind? I could use some advice on something. I've got this idea for an NPC group I want to use in my next campaign. They're a band of "super-predator gourmands" - monstrous humanoid 'adventurers' whose uniting quest is that they want to try eating food made from every sort of monster and humanoid in the world. Sort of a more vicious take on Dungeon Meshi, in a sense.

Anyway, I've got two members of the band figured out already; a Lizardfolk and a Gnoll. For the third, I was thinking some kind of bugfolk, but I can't choose between Thri-Kreen and Aranea. Can anons suggest which would make more sense?

For those unfamiliar:

Thri-kreen: Humanoid mantises from the Dark Sun setting. Your stock-standard "cannibalism? It's survival; why waste good meat just because it was shouting death threats when it attacked us?" mentality. Memetically famous for considering elf-meat a delicacy.

Aranea: Sorcerous spider-folk (as in, giant spiders that evolved into humanoids) from Red Steel. Culturally reject the idea of eating sapient prey, but it is apparently a very tempting idea for many of them, and you hear stories about what happens to people who're stupid enough to attack them when there's no witnesses...

Also, suggestions on other races that could believably be part of such a group? 4e's Dungeon Survival Guide states that kobolds have a similar "if they tried to kill you, it's okay to eat them" mentality to 5e lizardfolk, but I don't know if that's true in other editions or not.

Why not both?

You're the DM, you can change the lore however you want. A kobold would be a good part of such a group.

As for the insects, I'd suggest the spider-folk, Thri-kreen don't seem to be in the way of eating people overall.

I like 5e art. If they released an art book I'd buy it

How will you play your lizardfolk?

>Kenku Shadow Monk
>Lizardfolk Moon Druid
>Goliath Bearbarian because I refuse to let this meme get whipped to death by Bugbears

I wanted to make a spoopy skeletal ranger who hunts humanoids, but ended up with a Skin Taker from Candle Cove. Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing.

Like Argonians.

Mexican lizardman best lizardman.

I'm very harsh about homebrew but looking at the pugilist it's actually pretty okay.

It's basically monk changed a bit and made beefier and strength-based, and I think that's good.

It actually gives you enough incentive not to go dexterity.

However, the grappling line seems a bit stupid when you consider expertise would give you (4x proficiency modifier) to grapple if the massive dragon you're grappling SOMEHOW escapes from your full-move-speed-drag-grapple then you can just make them fail it anyway.

Mind Flayers look terrifying

>spoopy skellington
>not an entertainer satire bard

Like scaly humans with autism.

5 and 6 would both be a lot of fun.

"Our town is being destroyed, my entire family is dead."
*laughs* "Don't let your food burn your mouth, we'll see what we can do."

Add in 1 and you can eat the bodies while you're there.

What do they even have in common?

Post a cat-person that would have the nickname "Mittens".

>I can finally play a Yuan ti

BLOOD FOR SSETH. HE SHALL RISE AGAIN. LET THE SACRIFICES COMMENCE

Yo, how do I introduce Kaijuus to be the neutral, alive hurricanes of the world?

Are Paladins any good? I think Oath of the Ancients looks pretty cool in particular. What should do I need to get the most out of it?

I'd the Mechanics don't fit, reflecting is a retarded option. I'm sick of hearing this bullshit when it doesn't fit.

>"i want to play an awakened elf owl druid"
>refluff halfling druid
>several orders of magnitude too big.
>has hands.
>no night vision or 360degree hearing
>can't fly.

Yes, that's hyperbole. Illustrates my point nicely though.

You can't refluff a human as a skeleton if it lacks the relevant abilities.

You can't refluff an ogre as a half orc, because you're half the size of an ogre.

Cant refluff a troll as a half orc because you don't regenerate, you're not weak to fire, and again, you're half the size.

Your can't refluff an elf into a Drow because you aren't resistant to magic, don't have darkvision, and can't make faerie fire or conjure deeper darkness.

This argument that refluff is always an appropriate option was stupid when 4rries did it, and it's still stupid now.

Lizard folk natural armor is how draconic bloodline armor should have worked from the beginning. Either you get the better of the two plus magic bonuses, or make it stack like in 3.X. I like this approach better.

The draconic sorcerer way was a failure.

Anyone know of any decent minis to use for aarakocra?

Paladin is one of the best

High str or dex, high con, high cha

>elf doesn't have darkvision
What did he mean by this?

That's always an option, sure, but if I had to choose between the two.

Huh, turns out that kobolds being cannibalistic/sapient eaters is in Volo's Guide, too. Also... that comment about thri-kreen doesn't make sense.

On a random topic... kobolds can apparently spontaneously change genders now. And, according to 4e's Dungeon Survival Guide, their reverence for dragons is such that even being eaten by a dragon is, in its way, an honor to them.

...When did kobolds get /d/eviant?

Elf OWL
Like one of these fucks, but using halfling stats.

>Your can't refluff an elf into a Drow because you aren't resistant to magic, don't have darkvision, and can't make faerie fire or conjure deeper darkness.
>elf... don't have darkvision

>kobolds are genderfluid vore fetishists

>LET THE SSSSACRIFICESSS COMMENSSSSE
ftfy

I like that new monster races add an even bigger possibility for an evil group campaign.
I have an urge to play a baddie now for some reason.

Drow can see in perfect darkness, without any light at all.
That was me not remembering 5e strangeness and remembering old editions where Elves still couldn't see shit in a dark tomb.

Okay, grandpa.

7 but friendlier. they see all humans as adorable. like that wives tale about how cats see humans as incompetent cats. He brings his friends fresh meat, bone tools, half dead prey, etc, to encourage them to learn how to survive. on top of that they are super interested in mammalian culture and love books, working for those over gold. they don't understand the concept of fiction either, so they constantly refer to what they think of as historical events but are obviously from myth or outrageous fictions, going so far as to think fictional characters are real.

Also, am reminded that Drow don't have deeper darkness anymore in the rules, just in the novels. Instead they just have shitty old "darkness".

When I say old editions, that is including Pathfinder and 3.5, not just 2e and shit.

Either way, point still stands. If the race you're trying to refluff lacks its defining features, it doesn't fucking work.

multiple weaker mortal tarrasques that rise up periodically and are recognizable/distinct from each other. could even be worshiped by costal peoples.

>scaly humans with autism
>feathery humans with autism
>damp humans with autism
>venomous humans with autism
>other feathery humans with autism
Most of the monstrous races are shit.

>hairy monkey with reach
>11/10 best race euw
every time

they know what's easy for the playerbase to roleplay

>some niggers don't use all seven

Get on my lizardevel

Holy shit, I just noticed 5e Drow aren't any kind of magic resistant. Have yet to use them, and just assumed they would have advantage on saves vs magic.

meanwhile snakes

Wouldn't be so bad if gnomes didn't have it
But no, they get sunlight sensitivity and no magic resistance

How can anyone else compete?

There hasn't been a Magic Resistant PC race in 5e until the Yuan-Ti Pureblood came out.

>Seven
do lizardfolk not number so good?

Gnomes get advantage on saves vs magic at least

>autism is monstrously inhuman

Can't argue with that

Oh, okay, misread that.

It's a Whip!
WHIP!

>How can anyone else compete?
They can't

Maybe they count on fingers but sometimes they get peckish and eat some mid-count

what race are you talking about>

burgerbear

Nah, that one is polearm + bugbear + lunging strike

Roll20 Volo user: You can access the 7 lair maps by making a new campaign and selection Volo's Guide as the base. If you can't rip the maps but are willing to share you can head to the Discord and I can liberate them for you. If not, I appreciate the art and token rips anyway, thanks for that.

Lizardfolk barbarian on its own seems like an interesting concept. How would they channel a traditional 'rage'?

Maybe a super-focused state or something
Primal instinct?

I figured it might work well as an expression of the fight side of typical flight or fight, although it could also be interesting to have them sort of be channeling ferocity of a totem animal known for aggression. Sort of just a learned behavior to throw away their caution and be as ferocious as possible?

Supposedly they were magic resistant in the "alpha phb". Is that in the mega somewhere? Do they mean one of the next playtest documents?

I'm making my first character a divining wizard

What can trips and spells are generally useful? Since I have a limited amount

none of the new maps are any good though

What source is that in, not the phb.

How would you guys recommend playing a Mystic Theurge style character? It and the Summoner classes are the only two classes i like from Pathfinder but i'd really rather not actually play that game.

They only get advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves vs. magic, not all saves vs. magic.

Gnome Cunning gives advantage on INT/WIS/CHA saves against magic.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Well, if you want something closer to an actual Theurge, I would suggest taking a level in Cleric and the rest in Wizard. Spells scaling to the slot means you'll have cure wounds scale up with you, as well as having a fair bit of utility from the base levels of cleric.

1st level?

Cantrips
>Most things that do damage (poison spray is probably the worst one)
>Minor Illusion
>Light if someone needs it
>Mage Hand

1st level spells
>Mage Armor
>Shield
>Magic Missile
>Chromatic Orb
>Sleep
>Grease
>Thunderwave
>Silent Image
>Hideousness Laughter
>Alarm (Ritual)
>Identify (Ritual)
>Find Familiar (Ritual)
>Detect magic (Ritual)
>Comprehend Languages (Ritual)

I normally take a few rituals when playing a wizard, as you will always have more spells than you can remember and rituals mean you can still cast them

Ah. Yeah that's basically the illusion resistance they used to have, but now it would cover charms and compulsion as well.

Doesnt protect them from fireballs or the like though.

you'll want at least one offensive cantrip

Dancing lights
Minor Illusion
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand

1st
Grease
Sleep (at low levels anyway)
Magic Missile
Charm Person
Burning Hands
Thunderwave

these are some of my cantrip level 1 faves. consider what your party is composed of though. especially if there's other spellcasters in the gorup.

True, but it sure beats the nothing at all drow get.

cheat sheets for DMs and Players:

* i.sli.mg/TUQT3F.png

* enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1319

* drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Fbq7v8pucJVENWZlE5Z2h1T00/view

* reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j5qlg/final_version_of_my_5e_dm_screenplayer_cheat_sheet/

* enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1141

* enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1042

* swshinn.com/dnd-5e/rules-summary/

* imgur.com/a/47yHG

Yeah.

Im no stranger to rewriting racial writeups.

Ill be giving my Drow magic resistance and deeper darkness.

Sucks if you're ever in a game where the gm runs them by the book though.

Thank goodness there's light in the cave.

Get find familiar.

You don't need to prepare it, and you can regenerate your familiar every short rest. Get a flying snake to do fly-by helps, and use it to give somebody advantage every turn. If it ever dies, it's only 10gp to replace.
The only cost to you is that short rest, 10gp every time it dies and a single level 1 spellbook slot that'll never be prepared, when you can write down more spells in your spellbook anyway.

I'm not really a power gamer, but does the Volo's kobold look a little weak to anyone else?

+2 dex, -2 str, instead of the standard +2, +1.
Disadvantage to attack and perception checks in direct sunlight.

Only thing they really get to make up for it is a once per rest group AoE against enemies within 10', which doesn't seem to off set it.

Kobolds are meant to be bad. Orcs have no excuse, though.

I don't allow drow at my table at all. Half-orcs need a really good fucking back story. I only allow 1 rare race per 3 common race players and my table max is 5 players. If more than one person wants to play a rare race then they have roll agianst each other for that slot

Wait, how'd he get up to 20ft?
Isn't it 15ft

"You've got to cut the wheat before you can bake bread. We will help you."

Pack tactics is pretty nice.

they get pack tactics you silly man

We need a comprehensive list of meme builds
Of the top of my head, I can think of:
>Goliath Bearbarians
>Aarakocra Grapple Ranger
>Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky Feat
>Bugbear with a Whip
>Two Weapon Lancer
>Thief Rogue with the Healer Feat

What else is there?

5ft normal attack
+5ft for whip
+5ft for bugbear
+5ft for lunging attack

see It's a BM maneuver

Put in a PC race as well.

A wood elf barbarian who took his father's teaching of "Eat or be eaten." a bit too far.

whats memeish about a healer rogue?

Sonic the Tabaxi

Eh.

I don't have a standardized races rule I follow. I allow whatever fits the campaign.

I'm an underdark campaign, Drow are certainly on the table. Otherwise it will depend on the times of the campaign and the region it's set in.

If you're in the dale lands, there is (or at least was, depending on the era) a large Drow noble house living in the forests.

Small race beastmaster, for riding pets

arcane trickster healer + healer's kits on belts

>monk
remind me why they suck please

They can be a little squishy compared to other melee combatants.

>Aarakocra Grapple Ranger
how does this work?

>Small race beastmaster, for riding pets
I think it enters in:
>Two Weapon Lancer

Are you sure it isn't El Fowl?

CARLOSSSSS!

I think it's the "summon thorns, grab enemy, drag them through thorns over and over" one