favorite cards playable in both legacy and vintage edition

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

--------------------------------------------------------

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Dragon Stompy
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Manaless Dredge
>Affinity

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moonless Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?pli=1#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also, should we add this to the OP? it's a big list of budget decks some good some bad.

docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?pli=1#

If so with what caveat?

maybe add it under
>Fun budget deck ideas (discretion is advised)

I've been out of the loop for the past few sets.

Has anything from the past few sets made its way into Legacy?

oh we have such sights to show you

>favorite cards playable in both legacy and vintage edition
well...

Yeah, it's nice getting new cards.
Meanwhile, poor plateau plummets to even lower prices.

Are you guys being serious? I'm kind of excited now.

DnT at least got a mono w imperial recruiter, and a 3 cmc chalice on legs.

yikes

I play pox anyway, DnT is never a bad matchup

Probably basic island. I wonder how much Dick I'd have to suck in order to get gush unbanned

>I play pox anyway, DnT is never a bad matchup
I think I've only lost to pox with D&T once, is your list weird or just difference in experience?

Funny story: I know a guy who's a little erratic. Several months back, he asked me what trade-targets I had, and I told him that I was looking for a number of dual lands like Underground Sea, Volcanic Island, and Tropical Island.

He promptly went out and got a Taiga and a Plateau, then started shopping them hard to anyone he could. I traded for the Taiga anyway because Belcher.

Regarding the OP's queston, seconding Chain of Vapor. Excellent card is... well... excellent.

Is there a way to incorporate scapeshift into a legacy deck? I'm not talking titan post, no. I literally mean a revamped rug scapeshift deck making the modern version better.

I have no idea, possibly there is an existing deck right now but I doubt it. If not, we'll fuck it do what you want it's legacy. Make your own meme deck and smash people with it

Let's make this thread great again.

Pick any decent card database and start looking new cards to make the combo faster.

probably a meta thing, lots of DnT where I play so I get to have massacres in the board

also I play a loam version, which lets me have pernicious deed, tabernacles, and cabal pits in addition to the normal goodies

creature matchups in general don't feel too hard

the way my matches go, I feel like they can never really get momentum going

I've played around with a version of nicfit which uses scapeshift and prime time

I haven't really put it through the grinder to see how well it does or finely tune it, but it was fun to fuck around with

I'm trying to see if I still have the list saved somewhere

You could probably build a lands deck with scapeshift. Would play differently than modern scapeshift but you'd get to scapeshift people to death.

oh shit
check out SCG twitch
it's a legacy open. Coverage starts at 10:30 so it''s some other shit right now. Forgot this was this weekend.

this punishing maverick guy has the ugliest board state I've ever seen

yeah I was triggered

Khans block gave us Dig Through Time (RIP), Treasure Cruise (double RIP), Monastery Swiftspear, and Monastery Mentor to name a few.

Battle for Zendikar block gave us an entirely new archetype in the form of Eldrazi, a deck so busted that the Modern format was in Eldrazi Winter for 4 months.

I don't think Shadows over Innistrad gave us anything new except MAYBE the new Emrakul?

Kaladesh sucked dick.

I heard combustible gearhulk is good in big red

>load up the stream
>see an energy counter in play

>Kaladesh sucked dick.

At least vintage got Paradoxical Outcome, Fragmentize, and Ceremonious Rejection.

wow this infect player is punting so hard

lol he just topdecked for the win at one life

I fell asleep for a while. Anything good on stream?

Eldrazi.

Guess who just finished Deadguy Ale?

EXPLAIN TO ME

TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

I JUST NEED TO KNOW.

Wait wait don't tell me.... you?

Oh I know, it was Timmy.

I have a Daretti/MUD deck that has a couple. The red gearhulk is hilarious when it doesn't matter if the cards go to the yard, and dome the opponent for 6+.

Pic related.

Went 3-0 in an 8-man local event tonight with Elves. I knew someone would be on BR Reanimator, and the meta is usually super fair, so I put 4 Serum Powder and 4 Leyline of the Void in the board. Got lucky:

R1: BR Reanimator
- G1: play Deathrite, die on his first turn to Tendrils.
- G2: Board in 15 cards, open 2 Leyline, win with Dryad Arbor beats.
- G3: Open Leyline, win easily.

R2: Lands
- G1: Eat his Tabernacle with Deathrite, kill him with Glimpse T3.
- G2: Board in 4 Leyline, he keeps a slow hand, hardcast it T3, grind him out.

R3: DDFT
- G1: Play the aggro game, put out a fast clock coupled with a hardcast Craterhoof T4.
- G2: Blow him out with a Surgical (he didn't have time to get discard because I was threatening a kill the next turn).

Good games overall, Elfu is waifu.

Glad to to hear someone is still playing elves

Yep, I'm still here grinding away. Terminus is always rough, but against every other deck Elves still feels insane. I think if anything makes Miracles weaker Elves just becomes a DTB again instantly. The raw power level of your cards is just so high in a vacuum (when compared with something like, say, D&T or Canadian Thresh).

I also play Turbo Depths and Maverick, if you remember me from the first few threads. Not a big fan of namefagging, but the community here is nice.

I thought about building Elves a year or so ago when I still owned a couple of Cradles. I decided to go hard grixis colors, but I really like the deck.

I'm in total agreement with you, if miracles ever falls out of favour for whatever reason, elves will be there to ruin everyone's day

What do you think is the most budget I can make a D&T deck while still remaining competive at a fnm level?

I'll upgrade it as I play, but what is the most bare requirements to operate how the deck wants to operate.

Alternatively, are there any non-combo decks in legacy that are cheaper than DnT. Oops all Spells and Belcher just don't interest me too much.

Glad to hear this. I wanted a fun backup deck and decided to go with Elves! Also I wish I could make a playmat with that toil to renown art

D&T is one of the worst decks to "budgetize" just by cutting stuff because there aren't good replacements and the mana denial is sort of a cohesive package: each part makes the rest better.

Other cheap stuff:
Burn is cheap but boring. (~$500? not sure)
Turbo Depths is a combo deck but it has a lot of play. Plays like Steel City Vault in Vintage if you're familiar. It's 95% as good with 4 Blooming Marsh instead of 2 Bayou + 2 Verdant (keeping 2 fetch and 2 basics, stops Submerge even), and it costs like $300.
Manaless is getting a lot better with Prized Amalgam and it plays like an aggro deck (also $300 or so).
UR Delver is playable with 2 Volcanics ($750-ish).
Nic Fit is just an EDH deck, just play random shitcards with Vet and Therapy.

Really just go on The Source and ready Spooky's new budget primer.

>Nic Fit is just an EDH deck, just play random shitcards with Vet and Therapy.
That's wrong. It's very dependent on deck building skill and meta adjusting. Playing "random shitcards" will get you nowhere in legacy and you should know it.

Manaless is technically full frontal combo; depending on how you define combo.

There really isn't that many non combo budget decks to be honest. In a sense grixis delver is cheap, since only thing expensive in it is duals and force of will. Rest can be bought under 5 dollarinos a piece.

To be honest, big portion of the decks are not exactly that expensive beside few single cards that hold the whole thing together. For example maverick ain't too bad either, if you don't get bayou and more expensive fetches.

Playing random shit is completely viable in some shells (read: braindead mana acceleration) just due to the nature of Legacy. Veteran Explorer + Therapy is one of them, Sol Lands + Chalice + Trinisphere + 3-mana lockpiece (bloodmoon, b2b, choke, etc) is another. All that matters in those decks is that you have creatures will power and toughness; sure, the specific choices can improve your odds, but it's 2-3% maybe. Does it really matter if you're playing Moggcatcher over some random shit common from Ravnica block or something when every game you win is just a free win from Chalice or Moon anyway? Does it really matter what french vanilla 6-drop you play on turn 3 after you've ramped a bunch and stripped the opponents hand?

>Does it really matter what french vanilla 6-drop you play on turn 3 after you've ramped a bunch
Yes. Yes it does. Quite a fucking lot actually given it not being completely a match in your favor.

Those decks don't win on the backs of those cards. They get free wins from the actual good cards they play, and then need to actually finish the game off somehow, doesn't matter how. Each and every one makes Legacy less enjoyable and less skill intensive: Chalice punishes players for playing good cards, and Nic Fit punishes players who think they might have a chance to play against a good deck.

I would rather play against Belcher with Lands for 10 rounds then play against Nic Fit, or Stompy for a single game. At least Belcher is an exercise in ingenuity and interesting deckbuilding. Those decks are just BIG DUDES LMAO. All of the shitheads playing those decks do a disservice to the format and just make it closer and closer to the garbage that is Standard. If you want to play aggro, at least have some respect for the format and play Merfolk or something, not that nonsense.

Where did the veteran explorer touch you?

Just demolished a Miracles player on MTGO. I killed them after they tapped out for Jace both games. in game 2 they had 1 card in hands so i went to combo and he cast surgical extraction on dark ritual in response to Doomsday. totally blew it.

Honest question, why are there so many arrogant douchebags among legacy players? Even compared to other formats/other competitive games. Is it just some form of buyer's remorse from all the fuckexpensive cards?

Not meant to slam legacy players by principle though, I'm sure some of you are chill guys.

I've actually had a much different experience. Most legacy players I've met have been chill as fuck, if sometimes a bit awkward. The bad ones are really bad, but that's probably because they're adopted or something.

in my experience the only people playing legacy are reasonable adults with decent jobs who are chill and fun to play with.
edh players are the worst. maladjusted weirdos that say "net decker" like it's a slur.

Hey now, EDH is the one format where you can be reasonably successful even with clunky weird ass chaos combos, I can see how excessive netdecking could take that janky homebrew magic away from the format. Though extending that to other formats is just being dickish.

>not mentioning lands or depths

actually it's quite the opposite. legacy has by far the chillest people

luckily there's a quite big legacy community here in Buenos Aires (we get players for 5 rounds every saturday)

i play mostly reanimator, maverick, grixis delver, or jeskai stoneblade

but yesterday I felt in the mood for sleeving up Goblins, went 4-1, beating 4 colour delver, Esper stoneblade, DnT, grixis delver and losing to storm.

people think DnT has to be cheap because it doesn't play duals, but the 8 mana denial lands (4 wasteland 4 rishadan port) are a must for the deck.

it's a pretty fun deck to play, I encourage you to get those card and then get the 3 Karakas as you go. Wastelands are pretty cheap (specially MP/HP tempest ones), Rishadan Ports are a bit more expensive but nothing completely out of reach.

I advice you to at least get those before starting, the deck can't work with them, and Ghost Quarter is suboptimal.

Unless your have turbo depths blood moon fucks your shit up.

No bother playing it

Being a Legacy player on a college budget is way tougher than I want to admit. At least I'm not playing Standard; I'd be dead broke trying to keep up with all the new cards.

>Being a Legacy player on a college budget is way tougher than I want to admit.

I wonder if I pet my deck enough my shivan reefs turn into Volcanic Islands.

I have $200 in store credit at Card Kingdom. I don't own any Wastelands or Force of Wills, but they're on my to get list. I'm hemming and hawing about if I should just pick up the 4 wastelands first and just keep the store credit around on the back-burner and try to get Force of Will's later, or if I should go for the Force of Wills first even though I can't get a full playset right now even with the Store Credit. What do you think, /legacy/?

Why not equally both. 2 FoW and 2 Waste. That way you can ogle both.

Definitely Wasteland unless you know you'll be playing a deck with Blue in it.

Do long term legacy players hate new Eldrazi players or Infect more? I assume Eldrazi, but I think I would rather start with that because of how different infect is compared to modern.

I've been play testing cascabalance on xmage and holyshit it's fun!

Do you guys know of any similar decks? Anything that's 'evil' or annoying would be fantastic.

I would assume they hate Eldrazi more, because it is newer. Infect still plays within the realm of legacy, i.e. brainstorm, force, etc ...

Eldrazi is kind of dumb, and doesn't allow people to play their decks like storm and delver. I am obviously painting with a wide brush. Personally, I am an eldrazi sympathizer.

All the players I know don't give a shit really. It's the same thing in different package every time, so why bother being butthurt by one.

>a tier 1 deck comes out of one single set
I mean...

It's it just replacing mud though?

I'll never give up on MUD fuck you artifacts forever ;_;

not at all. mud is an entirely different animal.
eldrazi is a chalice stompy deck and mud is an artifact prison deck. completely different aside from a few common cards.

Nah not even. MUD does ok for the most part against Eldrazi because MUD can play Lodestone Golem which taxes them harder than they tax you plus you have the option of comboing out with Staff+Metalworker. Eldrazi stompy decks for the most part can't do shit against a resolved Platinum Emperion game 1.

lol did anyone else just watch miracles get rekt by lands playing super tight?

G Fab also just got his shit pushed in with Waste/GQ.
Tasbo's Web seems a lot worse than BtB.

Yeah I think that matchup proved that tsabos is a worthless sideboard card. The lands player just ignored both of them and went on to win.

Also shows how potent recurring land destruction is against miracles.

Hoping for a lands mirror in the finals. And skred might win go dallas. WHAT a time to be alive

I don't know if Tsabo is worthless as a sideboard card entirely, but it doesn't do the job against Lands, that's for sure. It's more suited to stopping decks that rely on man-lands like Mishra's Factory, Mutavaults, or decks that make repeated use of utility lands like Port.

>all these people getting murdered by lands
i haven't lost a match to Lands since i was able to say the phrase 'Sanctum Prelate on two'

Im dying, found an old scg article...

So what the hell is Sun & Moon? Did Nintendo sponsor a Legacy deck?

Lands usually beats miracles, gotta get real lucky with miracles to beat lands I find.
This makes me actual want to play in GP Vancouver main event (modern) instead of just doing side events, since I play skred red

well I'm glad neither lands deck won. mirror or bust. I wish there were more interesting decks in the finals though. Enchantress made top 32, which is cool. I wish I could have seen that.

And shardless wins.

wow no one saw that coming

I was watching some legacy videos from 2012, and I was wondering what happened to Dream Halls Combo? Did it just get replaced by something that did the same thing, but better?

I now own all the cards in grixis delver except for Force and duals. Aka, I still have about 3/4ths of the decks price barrier to go. god damn it.

>spend $100
>have 11/12ths of a deck
>remaining cards have value > $1000

What do you guys think about high tide?
is it still viable?

If so, what variant? Spiral or Reset?

I really love reset because of it's ability to win at instant speed.

on a similar note, do you guys know a good place to find recordings of legacy games?

sneak show omnitell

I like High Tide with Time Spiral. Of course my main problem with High Tide is that you need 4 Candelabra of Tawnos in order to make the deck truly work to its maximum. I wish I could afford picking the deck up on my budget, it's something I've longed to have in paper.

candlesticks being around $500 a piece is one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards building reset high tide.

What puts me off a little though is that's an old deck that hasn't gotten much new life (epically since the banning of dig) and it is very difficult to pilot

Im the user building Reanimator from edmonton, and i also run Skred. Do you think something about Snow-Covered Mountains just calls to us canucks?

I remember reading that as well and thinking how these guys don't know a shit.

Perhaps, though last time I checked Edmonton is super flat. it's really the only deck I have a remote amount of fun with in modern. Glad to see it do super well.

It's a R/W control deck.

Edmonton is indeed incredibly flat. We're not incredibly far from the mountains, though. Maybe i'll catch you in a Skred mirror in february!

If that happens I'll die a very happy man

"Skred my reckoner for lethal. Response?"
"Skred my reckoner for lethal. Response?"

Etc. Etc.

I actually have no idea how AIDS that mirror would be