Simple as fuck trpg

what is the most simple trpg you can think of that is also good and fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PFxFRqNmXKg
breitbart.com/tech/2016/09/13/hillary-google-bias-confirmed-experiment/
friatider.se/muhameds-comment-while-raping-twelve-year-old-ida-black-dck-expensive-gets-away-22-days-community
ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fate Accelerated and Apocalypse World are nice. Just don't play Dungeon World no matter what Veeky Forums tells you.

my idea was to run a very light game for my little cousins, because they have seen me doing sessions with friends and got curious enough to want to try it

also, if it is fun enough maybe to run one quick session with premade characters with friends

What is wrong with Dungeon World and why aren't you allowed to say it in public?

It got a lot of hype when it came out so regardless of how good it was, a lot of people here are going to hate it

It's pretty middling in reality. The ideas behind it are really appealing but the execution is pretty disappointing

That said, I'm not aware of a system that does a better job than what it's trying to do outside of outright OSR (and I mean, I actually don't know, if anyone else does, please share)

Everyone is John

Barbarians of Lemuria. Character creation takes five minutes or less. The number to beat in a roll is almost always the same. It only uses D6's. I can't recommend it enough for your needs

this sounds really good, I'll give it a try

d02.
No typo.
It just needs a fistfull of coins, paper and a pencil.
And for you to be willing to cheat every time the game master isn't looking.

Dread.

Of the ones I've played, probably Risus. Very simple mechanically (you only roll d6s, the amount depending on how many points you have on an ability), but it's still functional.

Fate is awesome and the only game our group plays, but it does take the right group of players. One powergaming faggot thet likes to goof off and derail everything can ruin the experience for everyone else. Also It's good for roleplayers with a little more experience. I wouldn't recommend for people who you are trying to introduce the idea for the first time.

A GM-less game me and my friends invented on a road trip played primarily through yes/no questions, but we haven't made the rules publicly available yet.

Aside from that--Lasers & Feelings, which is even simpler than Risus.

Risus.

FUDGE.

F.A.T.A.L

LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOOOO

>Lasers & Feelings
can agree, played it last night and aside from some early comprehension problems it was pretty fun

Anyone who actually played this?
I love the concept but I'm way to uncreative to get the most fun out of this.

Freeform, "roll a d20 for actions, relaxed damage system."

You can try Baron Munchausen for something a bit more grounded

If the super-light games that have been suggested so far don't have enough meat for you, Ryuutama with Picnic Rules.
The entire system is designed to be a beginner's first game, both on the player and on the GM side.

Bliss Stage.

Somebody created a sane and sober version based on the 1e rules, but I can't find them right now.

I'm so glad that there's already 4 different versions of Time Wizards.

Time Wizards 1e, Kroft-Edition Time Wizards, Time Wizards sober and Sober, and Advanced Time Wizards.

Maybe they are the same Time Wizards, but just at different points in an altered timestream?

How mechanically different are the various editions?
Does each edition just add different homerules additionally to the original ruleset from the screencap?

Which edition is the most ridiculous?

my nigger!

1e was based on only the story of dm Kroft, and I took a good number of inspiration from improv and a surrealistic game called Itras By, and bashed them together with the brainstorm that Veeky Forums had in one of those "Remember when Veeky Forums was fun" threads that had the screencap of dm Kroft and his Time Wizards. It also has two different versions, first one bodged up by me, and another one based on the first and just made beautiful.

Kroft version is made by Kroft, and it's the collection of the original rules used by his group when they played Time Wizards.

Serious and Sober is an attempt to make 1e into an usable game, where you don't hurt your palms on d4s, and it actually attempts to be a modern role-playing game.

Advanced Time Wizards is what happened when I saw Krofts version, the prettied up 1e version, and decided to once again have a go at it and combine these two games into one hodge podge of stupidity, trough the power of whiskey.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't exactly like this. I didn't do any kind of file, just created a flowchart of the gameplay and wrote the rules into a pastebin, and then someone else made them into the first edition.

Damn it's been so long...

Thanks for the write up, this is pretty interesting to read.

I think I'll try to pitch one of the versions that include the part where you have to slap d4s to my group, they are exactly the type of retards that would enjoy hurting themselves for the novelty of it, and so am I.

Wait, someone made a Roomba knockoff called iRobot? Isn't that like naming your pesticide company Silent Spring?

why does google never work anymore?

sauce?

Google has been messing with the search algorithm to make it more... politically correct?

They're coincidentally also changed their motto from "Don't be evil" to "Do the right thing". A couple of months ago it was near impossible to find anything on the open criminal cases against Hillary for example. This coincides with Obama handing over the top DNS to NATO, allowing them to censor the internet. Kickasstorrents and many many other sites deemed "not in line with the program" have been taken down.

As for trpgs, I find Everyone Is John is best for quick sessions and new players due the freedom it gives you.

3:16 Carnage Among the Stars

You mean, it was impossible to find evidence /pol/ was right. You're an idiot conspiracy theorist and you're talking shit. Also, not enabling people to commit crimes has nothing to do with political correctness

Only like one person on Veeky Forums even like dungeon world. I don't think it's the much of a worry.

DW is really not bad, it's mediocre at worst. It just misses the point of some mechanics from AW, but it's still entirely playable, has a good GM section, and is a pretty nice beginners game overall.

But OP is asking for good games.
By your own admission, DW is not good.

It's called playing pretend.

Strike! is pretty light, has simple but guided character creation, it's pretty fun if you would like a gamey sort of RPG.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

_____GURPS_____

Sauce on pic?

2nding Fate Accellerated, though it does require non-powergames since fate is a really light scaffold system.
good for giving lots of choice though, and it's got a sexy bell curve too.

I generally like more robust systems, but the basics of Cthulhu Dark can literally be explained in a couple sentences.

Ebb is also pretty good.

I like PbtA games in general, and include Dungeon World in that. I'm even in a campaign of it now. I just recognize that it's not the most cleanly-designed of the games that came from Apocalypse World, and purposefully takes features from D&D that don't necessarily mesh well with the base system. A fair bit of the acclaim does likely come from it being fantasy based, more than anything. It's meant to be a love-letter to OSR-era D&D (and literally came out of Adam Koebel and Sage LaTorra struggling to get new players to learn the rules of AD&D), more than it's meant to be a faithful adaption of AW to a fantasy setting. If you want that, there's Vincent Baker's own Fallen Empires.

Stop acting like a child.

It's not so much powergamers you need to worry about with Fate Accelerated, what you need to worry about is the GM failing to convey that you can't use every Approach for every situation, and that different Approaches will give you different results, and have consequences.

Not him, but Strike isn't even remotely close to fitting the OP's criteria, and while it may not be you personally doing it looks mighty suspect how it keeps getting dropped into threads where it's not even relevant.

Like, you know, a fucking shill.

It's the new GURPS.
Now you don't even have to tailor the game to the setting, you can just refluff it, because Strike!'s mechanics are apparently universally applicable.

It's simple and I think it's good and fun. How does it not fit OP's criteria?

Not really. It's only fitting if you want to have/like gamey, tactical combat. If someone wants a more simulationist game, or something horror themed, or a bunch of other shit it, doesn't fit.

I found it was more intuitive for players who had no RPG experience. A lot of gaming conventions are discouraged in Fate, and my experienced group needed more adjustment.

I'll also definitely agree on the whole powergamer faggot subpoint because it's easy for someone to start shitting up the place.

this, character creation takes one 6D6 roll. setting is generic fantasy, every player creates a goal they have randomly.

How exactly does one "powergame" in Fate when you have to have weaknesses and have to accept failure in order to ever get fate points?

This is a meme, you dips.

WaRP is nice

Make your NPCs cute anime girls and traps.

Then your players will always give them attention!

What about World of Dungeons?

It isn't powergaming in the traditional sense, more attempting to have every situation and aspect interpreted in the best possible way for their character. Which gives a lot of power in Fate as so much is up to interpretations.

It's only really a problem if the GM and everyone else at the table is a spineless whimp. However someone trying to play the game in a way it's not really meant to be played means they won't have fun, and that'll bleed over into everyone else's enjoyment.

Usually these people will struggle to bring up a free invoke from like 3 sessions ago that has since been narratively invalidated, or justify this continual re-use of an Aspect that's only relevant by an extreme leap of logic.

I guess it's not actual powergaming; more or less, I'm complaining about petty, gamist cunts that will slow down the game.

Fate breaks when you have one person who recognizes that free invocations from CaA mean you can go on success chains and basically never fail.

Or, you build DOOM on this concept and proceed to rip and tear until your luck finally runs out

If your luck runs out, it is only a matter of time before you can get another CaA free invocation up and running.

Lore, Empathy, Notice, and other knowledge/perception skills are great for this.

What are you even talking about, there are videos all over from when Google was altering search results and the CEO of google is a friend of Hillary.

youtube.com/watch?v=PFxFRqNmXKg

Literally the first hit on ironically, google:
breitbart.com/tech/2016/09/13/hillary-google-bias-confirmed-experiment/

Political correctness does enable crime:
friatider.se/muhameds-comment-while-raping-twelve-year-old-ida-black-dck-expensive-gets-away-22-days-community

GET THE FUCK OF Veeky Forums YOU PIECES OF SHIT.

Wouldn't this require you to basically only really act every other round?

Seems much more inefficient than you're thinking it is.

>more attempting to have every situation and aspect interpreted in the best possible way for their character
But that would end up with you never getting Fate points, which would make one twisting the logic of Aspects completely pointless as they wouldn't have any points to get any benefit from them.

>Usually these people will struggle to bring up a free invoke from like 3 sessions ago that has since been narratively invalidated, or justify this continual re-use of an Aspect that's only relevant by an extreme leap of logic.
1) You can just point to the rules that says you can't do that and situational free invokes go away
2a) As said before, if they're not letting compels happen they're not getting fate points, so its not like those aspects will matter.
2b) You can't invoke the same aspect twice on the same roll
2c) So what? Trying to come up with innovative ways your character's aspects matter to a scene is half the fucking point of the game.

>I guess it's not actual powergaming; more or less, I'm complaining about petty, gamist cunts that will slow down the game.
Honestly it sounds like the problem here is more a shitty GM who doesn't know how the game works than a supposed powergamer.

Or the player is giving that bonus to help someone else's character, in which case they are merely buffing their fellow party to high heaven. Also, it's not as if the GM can't do this with NPCs too.

Well then don't ask questions.

Try Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple. It's Fate's kid friendly edition.

No turn limits out of conflict.

Spam those CaAs whenever you get the chance.

You know the advantage has to be an actual named thing that makes sense, right?
And that time doesn't just stop as you're running around creating advantages even outside conflicts, right?

The GM still has the power to say "no, that's stupid and doesn't make any sense."

That's not quite how the game works, please read chapter 7.

>Hey GM, lemme see if I know more about this. CaA with Lore.
>My character takes stock of the situation with a quick look. CaA with Notice.
>My character sizes up this NPC to get a better read. CaA with Empathy.

>Sputnik News

Dropped.

Again, please carefully read chapter 7.

Its not so much as you're wholly wrong (just partially wrong) as it's you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Players cannot possibly always be in a challenge/contest/conflict.

In fact, players are only in a challenge/contest/conflict the minority of the time. You can carry over your stocked up free invocations into them, no problem.

That's both powergaming and metagaming at the same time. And something that no sane gm would allow, also stocking up invocations wouldn't work if the aspects aren't in play.

iRobot is the company that makes Roomba.

Like Chevrolet makes the Silverado.

>metagaming

It's obvious when players are in a challenge/contest/conflict.

Challenges/contests/conflicts are a minority of playtime going by the examples in the skill section.

If it's a situation so minor it doesn't merit a challenge/contest/conflict, then whoopdie doo if they stack in CaAs. Congrats on passing a check that at worst would have been an inconvenience if you failed. Again this is not a big deal at all.

They only carry over stocked CaAs if it narratively makes sense, but good on your players for being smart and entering a situation prepared. They're not breaking the game, they're being justly rewarded for their efforts of preparation. That's not gaming the system at all, that's the system working exactly as intended. This is the game that advocates failure as always "failing forward" for fuck's sake.

Honestly user Fates got problems, but everything you're saying isn't one of them.

I repeat: mountains out of molehills.

>They only carry over stocked CaAs if it narratively makes sense, but good on your players for being smart and entering a situation prepared.

1. It's not hard to make it narratively make sense.
2. It's not even "entering a situation prepared," it's just doing passive bullshit like remembering things, noticing things, etc. that in other RPGs would just give information, not give you huge bonuses/rerolls on important actions later down the line.

>that in other RPGs would just give information, not give you huge bonuses/rerolls on important actions later down the line
You realize that's intentional, right? The writer intentionally made it so you'd get tangible benefit from being proactive and at least pretending to give a shit about the story and world.

I think your problem would be solved if you stopped trying to play Fate like it was Pathfinder. It's a wholly different style of game, with a wholly different mindset, and I think you not fully grasping that is what's causing you to see problems that aren't there.

>Fates got problems
Such as? (Genuinely curious)
>2. It's not even "entering a situation prepared," it's just doing passive bullshit like remembering things, noticing things, etc. that in other RPGs would just give information, not give you huge bonuses/rerolls on important actions later down the line.
Just doing "passive bullshit" shouldn't grant an advantage, since creating an advantage is supposed to be something which does require proper effort.

>Such as? (Genuinely curious)
The Fate point economy can be a pain. I honestly get tired as a GM having to keep track of how many points are flying around and having to tailor the fucking story around making sure the players don't run out of Fate points by the middle of the session. Self compels are great if your players remember they can even do them, but then that's just another thing you have to keep track of.

Shit I'd be fucking ecstatic if my players actually took more advantage of CaA instead of relying on Fate points so much.

Knowledge- and perception-related skills (Empathy, Investigate, Lore, and Notice) having major issues when it comes to overcome and create an advantage actions is a problem directly acknowledged by one of Fate Core's main designers, Ryan Macklin:

ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/

Ryan Macklin also proposes a solution to this in the same article: introducing the Discover action, which explicitly does not grant a free invocation.

>If I could go back in time, I would add this to the ruleset.

Adding the Discover action to Fate, as Ryan Macklin suggests, makes the game significantly more airtight against free invocation hoarding. This way, if players want to stockpile such free invocations, they must apply active change to the world rather than simply observe with Empathy, Investigate, Lore, and Notice.

Thank me later

Good I love world of dungeons. Can we have a world of dungeons thread. It did so many things right, it's my new favorite game.

>”A scenario about gang rape is not meant to be fun to play.”
Well, it's not fun for one of the players, I give you that.

Well the majority of people enjoy it.

>§2 Playing ironically, over-the-top or
trying to laugh things off is not allowed.
Better then to stop playing, or not play
at all.
Why?

>Additionally, and naturally, the game is also about admitting that we all have the capacity to fantasise about these things. And just maybe, or so I imagine, you might find nuances of things in here that actually turns you on. For some, control can be a great turn-on. Naturally, I am only saying this to raise the stakes of playing.
I just found the perfect role playing game for the local BDSM meet.

> The entire game, the rape in particular, can be played without touching, for whatever reason.
>But it wont save you.

The designer really thought people would somehow be shocked by role playing something. Fantasy is fantasy, reality is reality. If you somehow mix them in your head, then you are mentally fucked and should already be showing instability.

>why
Because they're swedes who are desensitised to rape on the news all the time, this is an awareness raising kind of thing, way I saw it

>The designer really thought people would somehow be shocked by role playing something. Fantasy is fantasy, reality is reality
I wouldn't feel too comfortable describing how my character rapes/how they're being raped. If you're OK with that kind of thing, fine, but I really doubt the majority is.

>I wouldn't feel too comfortable describing how my character rapes/how they're being raped. If you're OK with that kind of thing, fine, but I really doubt the majority is.

I wrote a huge rant about Tommy boy, and video games and their connection to sexism and violence, BDSM and GTA and all that. But who gives a shit.

You just gotta realize it's in the same category in your life as killing goblins. It's not real. Never will be, unless you are a rapist. And just thinking about something, even getting a hard on about it, doesn't mean it will be reality. Fantasy is always just fantasy.

And this is coming from a schizophrenic.

I can't personally attest to it, but anons often reply with Risus in this scenario

As is GURPS. Your point?

fucking beepsky

some asshole tunned the lil shit to be trigger happy with people carrying weapons, put it in the scape shuttle hallway and left like three dozens of baseballs scattered around
everyone getting tazed before they knew why the fuck there were so many bats around

tsurezure children

its great

I don't understand your argument

THIS

this is fucking perfect for what I have in mind