I have a few questions about the Adepta Sororitas

I have a few questions about the Adepta Sororitas.

First, is it possible to leave/be kicked out via any route other than Repentia once you've joined?

Second, what happens to a progena who has the technical skills to join the Sisterhood, but winds up washing out due to personality problems (being too independent, for instance)?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Sisters_of_Battle_Order_Creation_Tables
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>is it possible to leave/be kicked out via any route other than Repentia once you've joined?

Older Sororitas retire and become instructors or serve on Shrine Worlds. Other than that, not that I'm aware of. Any Sister who broke their order's code in such a way would probably be executed rather than excommunicated.

Though it's possible that one might be recruited by an Inquisitor, slowly lose a lot of her single-minded zealotry over years of service, and eventually go her own way when released from duty.

>what happens to a progena who has the technical skills to join the Sisterhood, but winds up washing

They might go into one of the non-Militant Orders; Famulous, Dialogous, Hospitaller, or the smaller ones. Either that, or they'll be broken through indoctrination and brainwashing.

>They might go into one of the non-Militant Orders; Famulous, Dialogous, Hospitaller, or the smaller ones. Either that, or they'll be broken through indoctrination and brainwashing.
I more meant if it was noticed before she was placed in any of the orders.

Also, so many times I've asked about Sisters of Battle, so many times I've forgotten how hard it is to make them interesting.

1)I don't think so.
You can change orders in some circumstances, though. So it's possible to find a nice job somewhere else, like librarian in a dialogus order, or relic-keeper on a remote planet.
Also you can join the inquisition, which is technically a way out.

2)The point of the schola is to mentally break down recruits into servants of the imperium, so anyone that doesn't fit despite the training would probably end up as casualty.
Nonetheless, if it's a borderline case, the Ecclesiarchy will probably pass up on you, and you'll get into another organization, like an assassin or interrogator trainee.

>how hard it is to make them interesting
In what area do you find them lacking?

>In what area do you find them lacking?
They seem very one-dimensional, so indoctrinated that they have no real character of their own, and with no room for deviation from the norm that isn't immediately punished. Even the Space Marines allow more room for individuality, and the Imperial Guard is of course astonishingly diverse.

They didn't got any significant fluff after third edition, what do you expect? Even the novels were action-oriented.
Of course they're gonna lack character if nobody writes about them. Even major orders aren't defined beyond "cool-headed one" or "resolute one".
At the same time, units below the order, like preceptories (SM chapter equivalent), commanderies and missions, have no fluff at all. We don't know of their rites and organization.

Nonetheless, the imperial creed can contain basically any religion possible, as long as you have a figure on the top that you can link to the Emprah.
Even with schola standardization, the distance between two systems (or segmentums) is gonna ensure that there is a lot of differences between orders or isolated units.
You could have all the divergences you want: Sisters on a feral world going native, sisters specialized in keeping the pilgrimage routes open and boarding actions, sisters praying with LSD...

I think the main thing is that they're not meant to be a force in the same way Marines are.

They primarily stick to whatever worlds (particularly shrine worlds) they are established on and join conflicts when they come to them or when an inquistor needs to bring the heat to a particular situation and overall just be female bodyguards.

I mean, you could make stories about them the same way you do Custodies because they generally stay put on Earth but otherwise unless the story is focused on a sister seconded to an inquistor it's going to be just drama within the ranks of the Order.

One of the Cain novels had a retired Sister who was drinking and fucking around.

So yes. Sisters can leave the coven after a set number of years and do whatever. Like any army job really.

She was a canoness assigned to schola training, IIRC. So still part of the SoBs.

>The point of the schola is to mentally break down recruits into servants of the imperium, so anyone that doesn't fit despite the training would probably end up as casualty.
>Nonetheless, if it's a borderline case, the Ecclesiarchy will probably pass up on you, and you'll get into another organization, like an assassin or interrogator trainee.

Cain didn't seen to be mind broken. He loved life and wasn't that dutiful or that much of a zealot. You are exaggerating things

>sisters confirmed sluts

neat.

All right.

One of the ideas I had was specifically a criticism of their rigidity by having a Repentia go heretical, albeit with a great deal of nudging. I know the idea's a cliche on Veeky Forums, and I'd want to make it not be stupid, so if that's impossible and it'd be better with a female cleric, let me know.

do the scholas train imperial officers?
is there any way that soldiers can rise to the top?

They train commissars, stormtroopers, and SoBs.

Here's hoping we get more lore on this with the new plastic sisters.

so what about Commissioned officers in the imperial guard?

don't they also train navy guys?

She wasn't fucking around. As far as we know, she was in a monogamous relationship. Just one that was being kept secret.

>and fucking around.
She was in a committed (if secret) relationship with an Administratum instructor at the Schola. She wasn't whoring it up or anything because you sure as fuck know Cain would have hit that if she was

>don't they also train navy guys?
Not that I recall. The Navy has their own schools and training programs, given how radically different the Navy is compared to most other institutions and the way they wage war.

Musn't translate well into english, sorry.
What I meant was "making it so every student fits into the mold and you create an homogeneous and malleable group", like any school or military training course. Schola begins at a very young age, so it helps too.

It's written in Amberley's footnotes. Something like "contrary to popular belief, not all sororitas orders have chastity vows, but they are forbidden to marry".

See pic

Reminder that sisters are not required to be chaste, and the emperor ain't got nothin' against purest love in his name

You might want to look at 3rd edition repentia, that had more to it than "have eviscerator, will go berzerk and die gloriously"

apparently, they do

Normal dudes. Usually nobles.

Cain never cheated on Amberly. Probably because he was terrified about what she would do when she found out.

Come to think about it, he never cheated on any of the women he had sex with. Before Amberly, when Cain left a planet, his relationship with whatever woman he was sleeping with ended because neither of them ever expected to see each other again.

Amberly was probably the first woman who could follow Cain when he moved from one planet to the next.

That makes me wonder: What happens if a repentia is the only surviving Sorotias on a planet after all the enemy have been slain.

How well could she handle herself among the guardsmen/civilians until she can return to her order ?

What if that keeps happening to her ?

Text next to the drawing, for those without access to zoom.
>A member of the sisterhood may be stripped of all rank and rights, reduced to a Sister Repentia. They are banned from Holy Service for the duration of their punishment, and may suffer other castigations in the form of frequent physical punishment, onforced feasts and confinement. Often Inquisitors will take the services of a Sister Repentia, who may be more «free-thinking» than her Sisters.

Find a group to attach her to, then go on another warzone, I guess.

Now I'm imagining a repentia trying to convince a Commissar to let her tag along with his regiment.

Why wouldn't he accept? He finally someone that won't run away from fights. That's an excellent role model for his troopers.

I guess you could have a Gotrek-like SoB that has become so experienced that she's virtually invincible, seeking death without success across the Imperium.

1) Sister for life.
Even Repentia are Sisters, they don't get to leave.
That being said, there are positions that are considered retirement, like honor guard on Shrine Worlds for example.

2) A Novica is only selected once the Scholar has determined they will make the cut for the Sisterhood. Not before.
A potential Novica who lacks the pure faith needed to be selected will likely find themselves in Storm Trooper training.

Repentia are even more Jealous then normal Sisters.
Repentia Sisters are not questioning their faith, they are reaffirming it.

>First, is it possible to leave/be kicked out via any route other than Repentia once you've joined?
Probably by joining the inquisition or becoming a rogue trader.

>Navy and commissars are boys only
Literally to what purpose, especially given that most Imperial ships are thousands of years old and crew are raised from birth to man a specific post?

Because the Sororitas would want all the girls who reach that level of toughness?

>Jealous
Zealous
How did I make that mistake? J and Z aren't even near each other.

It's old fluff, l thinks it comes from a desire to ensure that the sisters have a lot of recruits.
We've got examples of female ones in novels, codices and FFG rpgs.
Even got a female commissar mini.

While I'm here, do we actually KNOW what living saints a la Celestine are?

As I understand it, they take females also and that was just stupidly worded.

However, the Sisterhood will be taking the lion's share of the female graduates who are at Commisar or Navy standards.

Woudn't the Ecclessiarchy sent a few promising recruits in other branches just to have a nice network of spies in the right places?

The Emperor's daemon princes. Powered by faith and belief instead of raw emotions like the other daemons.

Someone who has been declared a Saint WHILST they are alive.
As you need to preform a Miracle to recieve sainthood, it would have to be pretty fucking glorious to have everyone agree to Canonise you before it's debated so long their children's children reach a verdict.

>That makes me wonder: What happens if a repentia is the only surviving Sorotias on a planet after all the enemy have been slain.
>Find a group to attach her to, then go on another warzone, I guess.

not necessarily. saint celestine was a repentia who absolved herself of all sin and turned into a holy genocidal machine aka living saint.
whatever the living fuck that is.

>J and Z aren't even near each other.
say what?

>Wouldn't the Ecclessiarchy sent a few promising recruits in other branches just to have a nice network of spies in the right places?

I imagine they'd fully train sororitas as normal first. Then if necessary they'd fudge documents or whatever to insert them as naval officers if they wanted to spy on the local navy. Or imperial guard general staff officers to spy on the imperial guard's activities.

Commissar position probably isn't the best for spying since everyone is naturally guarded and careful of their words around you. Not to mention that female commissars are probably primarily assigned to female regiments which are primarily rear-echelon where nothing interesting happens.

Famulous Orders are 'spy' Sisters.
They don't even need to fudge paperwork, just assign one to a ship citing that she is to oversee the faith of the crew and act as a third party overseer in negotiations and suddenly, the Ecclesiarchy has their spy sitting right where they want her and the Navy can't do a thing about it but try and Lima Syndrome her.

You can always create your own.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Sisters_of_Battle_Order_Creation_Tables (far from complete, but it's a starting point)

The point of a spy is usually that people don't know its presence.

Those are the worst eyebrows I've ever seen on a GW model.

Yeah but Cain is pre-shit fluff. Noow commissars are drugged up friend-murdering killmachines that blow their own troops brains out for looking nervous and not, you know, political officers and advisors.

>but winds up washing out due to personality problems (being too independent, for instance)?
I'm led to assume they follow the imperial standard: broken into compliance.

>The point of a spy is usually that people don't know its presence.
Most spies aren't from an organization in your own government that ranks higher than you in the chain of bureaucracy.

The point of a spy is to report information back to her real employers, almost always whilst under a disguise fooling her victims.

The current Repentia are 3rd edition as well.

Actually they are called Living Saints because you can only become a saint after you die, but because Living Saints are fated to burn out early, their death is a self-fulfilling prophecy.