MTG: Modern General

$$$ COMPETITIVE MODERN $$$

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Anyone caught posting memes or making X work will be banned

The best thing that happened to modern this year after Nahiri

The last three sets have had something playable in modern. Think something in Kaladesh will start getting played?

Cathartic reunion ???

Ah, the classic Round 1 feature match with one woman/"woman" on camera just because, no matter the skill of either player.

That Infect faggot actually picked up Melira to read the card.

why is lantern control the most fun deck in modern with the highest skill ceiling?

Lets say that my opponent attacks with 2 creatures and I block and trade with 1 after combat damage is assigned and it dies, can I then cast Celestial Flare before the combat phase has ended and make him sac the other creature? Do I still take damage from the bigger one too?

I'm thinking about mainboarding Jotun Grunt in Modern UW Emeria.
It keeps Jund's Goyf's and Flayer's small, it dosen't die to bolt.
Keeps Dredge at bay with some support.
Slows down Delve based strategies, bashes Tron a little before Urza Tron is online. Mill is not a real thing but it's amazing against it.
I'm thinking about Fiend Hunter and Claw of Gix as well.
Anyone have experience with it?

Yes you can do it, and yes you take the damage
Creatures are still attacking/blocking at the end of combat step

I'm not an expert but that's how I feel it, you should ask a judge to be sure

Yes you can make him sac the creature before the combat is over, after the damage. But after the damage also means that you would take the damage, unless you killed his other creature with a first striker.

How does the dredge deck actually win? I get that you get a bunch of creatures into play but they're all 3/3s and 1/1s, it seems like any decent creature strategy would wrek that.

A bunch of 1/1s and 3/3s turn 1 or 2 is a big deal. Really hard to handle

this is the most secret tech ever user

Such as? Affinity goes wide but are mostly weaker than 3/3's, and that's about it. Elves if you've got a good hand maybe. Beyond that, what are these mythical 'creature strategies' with so many blockers?

Not that user you responded t, but I was thinking about conflagrate to clear the way once your opponent think he have stabilized

>The last three sets have had something playable in modern. Think something in Kaladesh will start getting played?

madcap experiment and platinum angel is a pretty spicy ad naus sideboard plan

How did FNM go for everyone?
What did you play?
Any specific highlights?

Modern is dead at my LGS and I live in a college town. Ive been pushed to MTGO to play

Where's the best place for Chinese fakes? Also, how do they do flip cards?

Villa Zheng YouTube
>Also, how do they do flip cards?
They don't. What flip cards can you not afford? None of them are overly expensive.

Post list? Unless you have a way of fueling your own graveyard i think he should just be sideboard against dredge and maybe delver. Two cards is okay but the cumulative upkeep is unsustainable and hurts your own strategy a little

pretty well. went 3-1 with Jeskai Nahiri+Geist. Could've taken that last match as well but misplayed

Also I got this bad boy out of my prize packs

Went 3-0 with sultai

>Villa Zheng YouTube
Avacyn, really.

I thought we were talking about modern cards.

Was ignored in the other thread

Can standard cards be made?

No

Went 4-0 with RUG eternal command

Tron: 2-1
Infect: 2-0
GW Hate Bears: 2-0
Mardu: 2-0

Had some pretty intense matchups and a lot of fun. Would recommend the deck

Mind posting a list? I've been looking for a good sultai build.

Chandra the Torch of Speculation will get played in Skred and Ponza.
I went 1-2 with infect. I beat a weird reanimator deck then lost to affinity and g/r ponza. The ponza games were pretty fun. I wished I was on dredge for the ponza match. I don't know how dredge beats affinity though.

The fug are all those literally who decks

Newbie here, I want to try this because it was described to me once as fucking torture to the opponent and my friend is a smug fucker who just keep stomping my shitty goblins with his 1000000 bucks eldrazis. Can you give me some pointers about how it works? I honestly don't get it.

Good ones clearly as they all took first place
The command deck is actually from the inception of modern, breh

It's a one trick pony that gets old really fast to play.
BUG MidrangeMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
// Land
2x Breeding Pool
2x Creeping Tar Pit
2x Darkslick Shores
1x Forest
2x Island
3x Misty Rainforest
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Polluted Delta
1x Swamp
2x Watery Grave

// Creature (14)
1x Scavenging Ooze
2x snapcaster mage
1X pack rat
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4x Tarmogoyf
2X banana man

// Sorcery (12)
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
1x Maelstrom Pulse
3x Serum Visions
4x inquisition
1X damnation

// Instant
2x Abrupt Decay
1X victim of the night
1x Go for the Throat
2X Spellsnare
2X dispel
1x collective brutality
1X cryptic command
3X thoughtscour

// Planeswalker
1x jace, architect of thought

Might have missed a card

My pick is looter scooter, I'm thinking about jamming 4 in [spolier]Faeries[/spoiler]

I've seen some Infect builds running Blossoming defense and I'm pretty sure almost every Dredge list runs Cathartic Reunion now.

>not knowing eternal command
what the fug dude

Lost Legacy is a pretty cool sideboard tech.

I really like lost legacy with eternal scourge.
You just keep playing them and letting them eventually hit the yard. Then jam a lost legacy and draw 4. Alternatively you just cast it turn 3 on yourself, name it and watch and you get 4 in exile to cast and 4 cards in hand.

bit off-topic but didn't want to make a new thread just to ask this:

does anyone here use MTG studio? I can't figure out how to "flip" dual face cards to see the full art

Inventor's Fair and BG fastland already a staple in Lantern Control, Blossoming Defense in Infect, fastlands in general for midrange, Cathartic Reunion in Dredge.

Post list please. I can't find anything current and the guys on mtgs are retarded

You don't draw unless they are in hand, so it's not nearly as good as you think. Still cool though.

Played Dredge. Went 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, ID.

I had lots of great opening hands.

In one game, I missed a Prized Amalgam in my graveyard (brought 2 out of 3 back), and it ended up winning me the game after an Anger of the Gods.

>I really like lost legacy with eternal scourge.

Sadly it doesn't work like this, as need to have eternal scourge in your hand to draw a card.

>just noticed the from hand Clause
Ugh

>tfw no dredge in top 8

Eat a dick leddit/modern nexus/mtgs

The fastlands are all seeing varying degrees of play, Madcap Experiment is seeing play in a few combo decks, Cathartic Reunion is so good in Dredge that it could be banned, Chandra is seeing play in some Jund lists as well as Skred, Filigree Familiar is also seeing play in Blood Moon Jund.

>tfw eternal command guy never posts his brew

t. dredge player

Dredge's power is always going to be inversely proportional to how popular it is because of how much efficient hate exists for it

Jokes on you, Im an Elves player. People just need to adapt.

Easy to say when you can just CoCo into 2x Shaman of the Pack for a free win.

t.analpained Nahiri player

Played eggs, went 3-1
2-0 against G/B Elves
2-0 against dredge
0-2 against infect
2-1 against 4 color company. THE guy playing the deck got 36th place with it at GP Indianapolis. I am beginning to like eggs, it has been serving me well in this meta.

Share your list.

no modern fnm at my shop
I played standard and lost to 14 year olds, all the adults were playing cube and they didn't want to do a pod with more than 8

is bant spirits worth building, been playing it a bunch on cockatrice and it's a lot of fun

I don't think it's possible to do well with the deck if you're not caleb
he's streaming right now, you should just ask him what his thoughts on the deck are

how's Naya Evolution then? Was thinking of building Bant Spirits, Naya Evolution or making some homebrew based around Restoration Angel and blinking things repeatedly

If the attacking opponent has prized unicorn on the field and attacks with it, and with another creature or two and I have for example a 2/3, and a 1/1. Could I just kill it off with the 2/3 and use the 1/1 to block the other creatures he/she has or will it just end up tapping the 1/1?
I'm sure there's other cards like prized unicorn but I'm trying to figure out the ability of it

If the card doesn't make sense, read the card
The card's ability explains how the card works

the 1/1 still has to block Unicorn even if the 2/3 kills it

I mean kiki chord seems like an okay deck to build but I would probably go for something simpler if you're new to modern

okay, thanks. it doesn't end up killing the 1/1 does it even if it blocks second?

I've only been playing magic for about 4-5 months and I play tron anyways. I just want a 2nd modern deck that plays different from RG Tron

yes, all of Unicorn's combat damage gets assigned to the 2/3, so the 1/1 lives

if you want something fun and kind of competitive then go for it

if you want a real deck then build infect and pray it doesn't get banned

much appreciated

I already have a friend with Infect in my playgroup, so I'd rather not build Infect

I'm still leaning on Bant Spirits but Naya Evolution might happen instead

The Unicorn's damage is assigned by its controller, so in the vast majority of cases the unicorn and the 1/1 would die in this scenario

Why does every ad naus list run different approaches to lands. And why aren't there any utilizing the new lands already. I really want to get to building one but I can't decide on what land base to run.

boy, you don't bother master zheng with a paltry 15$ card
you do it for 6 Revised dual lands, 3 goyfs and some lilianas

I want infect to leave modern

I built bant spirits and I've gotten top 8 twice. It's not that cheap to build and it's only recently seen play so if you're willing to invest in it, it's an incredibly fun deck. It deals well with every deck besides tron if they're online by turn three and suicide zoo. Jund is 60/40 in their favor. Infect is a breeze.

Should have gotten a warning, it's impossible to miss the amalgam triggers

Collective brutality is a Sorcery
Also you have 7 inquisition in your list

Instead of asking g a competitive thread about something as basic as reading the fucking card, why don't you ask the Ask A Judge thread? Seriously, why the fuck do newfags decide to come to the thread with competitive and $$$ in the fucking OP and ask stupid fucking questions. People like you should get a fucking day ban for asking a question as fucking stupid as the one you just asked

Probably one of the inquisitions stacks supposed to be thoughtseize.

Blossoming Defense was a card made by wizards to push infect to the top of the meta so they could have a legitimate excuse for banning it

What single piece could wizards ban that would make infect unplayable? Your reasoning is flawed user

Any of the infect creatures.

The pump spells are redundant but you really need an infect creature that comes down early. Past glistener elf and the blue unblockable one, the relative power level goes down fast.

Defense is just Vines of Vastwood 5-8. It's not going to push Infect into bannability. The possible T2 win that the deck has isn't enough for them to
Elf/Agent would work.

There is a zero percent chance elf and/or agent will ever get banned in modern

If it wins the GP and kills on turn 2/3 multiple times on camera I can see the possibility of it

>There is a zero percent chance elf and/or agent will ever get banned in modern
I know, I was just answering his question.

Vines is defense 5-8, for one mana you get protection and pump where you only get extra damage with Vines if you kick it

Cards like become immense and apostles blessing have more of a chance of getting banned because they enable those fast kills. Elf/agebt ban would completely kill of the deck, which isn't wizards ban philosophy

>which isn't wizards ban philosophy
>what were twin and pod

Banning either of those would kill the deck.

And your answer to my question was a bad one

Anybody who is calling for an elf/ageny ban has no idea how the ECU decides bans. They try to nerf decks, not completely kill them. The two outliers are pod (which deserved to be banned) and twin (which was banned because it was boring to watch on camera. Now that there aren't modern pro tour I see no reason why it should remain banned)

Pod is fucking broken. Deal with it

Twin was banned due to the constant mirror matches on camera

>has no idea how the ECU decides bans.

How to fix modern (even though it's not broken and fun and engaging if you aren't a shitbrewing faggot whose meme decks will never put up results):

1. Unban SFM
2. Ban batterskull
3. Reprint Baleful Strix in MM17

At least Maro gets it. And why the fuck does my phone auto-correct DCI to ECU. The fuck is ECU?

>And your answer to my question was a bad one
What question of yours did I answer? Elf/Agent ban would make infect unplayable, like he asked.

>The two outliers are
There's also Bloom and Eye recently. They stop being outliers at this point, user.

>They try to nerf decks, not completely kill them.
They're okay with killing decks. Abzan Company is nowhere near Melira Pod, just like Kiki Chord is nowhere near Twin, just like Azusa is nowhere near BloomTitan, just like Bant Eldrazi is nowhere near the Eldrazi Winter lists.

You don't even need to ban batterskull. Artifact hate is rampant in sideboards and Kolaghan's Command is a card

>What question of yours did I answer?
The question you replied to? "What single piece could wizards ban?". That was my post, dipshit

>Bloom and eye
Eye of ugin was what made eldrazi,i fucking busted and gave tron insane inevitability. The banning of it needed the decks, but didn't kill them. Do you even play modern? Bloom ban needed the deck, but didn't kill the archetype. Do you even play modern?

>Last part
You just agreed with me there. All those decks are less Powerful versions of the old deck, while still being playable. What the fuck are you talking about?

>What question of yours did I answer?
Man I have to go back to this. How fucking stupid are you? Do yoi think every post is a different person or something? How fucking autistic are you?

Just reprint counterspell

>The question you replied to? "What single piece could wizards ban?". That was my post, dipshit
You should read your own posts.
>What single piece could wizards ban that would make infect unplayable?