/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

DMs: What are your concerns/fears/expectations/etc. with what you know about Volo's regarding PCs, monsters, etc. in your campaign?

Players: What's that crazy PC concept you have in mind from Volo's PC races? PS: I'm sorry Kobold fans

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hPHKP6dNqe8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's split between the players. The guy's making like 7 bucks an hour.

How would you stat Brundlefly in 5e?

>Players: What's that crazy PC concept you have in mind from Volo's PC races?
Kobold monk.

i'm so sad about kobolds, i really like the whole no negative modifiers thing that they had going, the least they could do was give it +1 charisma as well

Outlander ranger, because life finds a way

Speaking of whips...I made a spiked chain/kusarikama that is basically a 2hd 1d6 whip that works with PM, yay or nay?

Whip and dagger have very niche uses, but aren't entirely useless. Greataxe is niche. Club is niche. Spear is niche.

Darts are completely redundant, worse than dagger.

Greatclubs are completely redundant, worse than quarterstaff.

Blowgun is completely redundant without DM giving effects to it.

Sling is pretty much redundant.

Sickles are pretty much redundant, under daggers.

Trident is redundant, under spear.

Flail, morningstar and war pick are pretty much redundant, under rapier.

>You plan great session for your group
>they decide they don't wanna do it
>fuck

How do you experienced DMs improv a rewarding session for your players when you've got no plans?

Worst and least common weapon is the sickle, prove me wrong you can't.
It's too complex for dumb humanoids to make, it's too weak for smart humanoids to purposefully wield, at best a farmer might wield it but then they have the option of tons of other farming implements to wield.

>farmer picks up broom
>quarterstaffs are better than sickles
yeah sickle has no place unless you ambush someone who's cutting their wheat

Also, fuck you whoever said nets are useless.

They're like a grapple, except you don't have to drag the enemy with you and you don't have to have a good grappling score, just a good to-hit.
Not to mention, 'restrained' is better than 'grappled'.

It's not great if you have extra attacks that aren't shared with a pet or if you have a really good athletics score, but it gives almost anybody the ability to restrain a creature as a simple attack versus AC.

There's a couple good videos on this subject, I like Matt Mercer's, but a few points I've learned are to keep track of what happens in the improv session and build on it later for rewards, try to have NPCs and generic esque loot info sheets on hand if you want in in session and if they go places you have no good notes for, try to just describe it from your mind as best as possible, focus on the five senses, give good description. Oh, having some good flavorful encounter tables is useful too.

i honestly can't believe whips couldn't be monk weapons. there's so many long chain weapons that were used in martial arts, but i guess it would just be too strong....

>Darts are completely redundant, worse than dagger.
What would you think about giving darts the ammunition property, thereby allowing them to be drawn ad infinitum as part of your attack, but destroying half of the darts used after a combat? I just want throwing knives to be viable, and this is as close as we're gonna get.

nets have disadvantage at all ranges though
I use a RAI as nets don't have disadvantage in melee, but RAW they suck ass

Why do you guys say quarterstaff is better than sickle? Isn't it just d8 vs. 2d4 dmg? That actually means the expected average dmg by quarterstaff is 4.5 per hit whereas the expected average dmg by sickle is (2.5x2)=5 per hit.

Am I missing something?

How do you handle tavern fight encounters? There are times my PCs want to find boxing rings in the city and if I go RAW, having PCs roll for 1 unarmed strike damage is just going to be a long time esp if the PCs are at level 13.

I'd rather it just add a rule saying 'when you throw a thrown weapon (not improvised, unless you have tavern brawler), you may draw another thrown weapon immediately'.

>Being able to attack at 10ft
You'll need to spend at least 1 ki point for the turn or else is too broken for a monk

Because sickle is 1d4, not 2d4
which is also why dagger makes it redundant as someone else pointed out

Have punches vary by different fighters is what I do. A dexterious fighter might be a 1d6, a burly guy a 1d8, doing 1 damage a punch takes for fucking ever

On the subject of monks, do you guys let your monks use fist weapons a la Final Fantasy?

>PCs just want to go around boxing random dudes
>As level 13 heroes
That aside, I wouldn't make it a traditional combat, make it an athletics roll or a few.

If the fight isn't to the death make the player and NPC take CON saves every turn with a DC of 5. For every point of dmg taken give them a -1 modifer to that throw. Whoever fails the CON save first decides its not worth it and concedes.

Also implement creative in-house rules for different types of punches and grapples.

I wouldn't say it'd be too strong, seeing as you'd be unable to deal the unarmed strikes from 10ft, ja?

Sickle is 1d4, not 2d4. Also, unlike daggers, they have no throwing range.

>Make everybody better than monks, that's what I do
Slow clap

I believe by RAW you could technically make an improvised melee attack, dealing 1d4+strength damage AND restraining them and giving no disadvantage on your 5ft attack against them.

>What's that crazy PC concept you have in mind from Volo's PC races?
Fat and lazy tabaxi, not sure which class

It was a joke, user, fire snake is a ki power that for 1 ki allows you to melee attack at 10ft for the entire turn which is a shitty power nobody picks but wotc is perfectly balanced

Ay but now we have bugbears so problem resolved.

It's amazing how long misconceptions stick with you when you've played with someone who played incorrectly. Woops.

Alright, I worked through this:

A) Only ammunition weapons count as improvised weapons when making a melee attack.
B) The net is a ranged weapon and deals 1d4 damage if you make a melee attack with it.
C) The net's property is that when it hits, it restrains the creature. Nothing says the net does not deal damage, and the 1d4 overrides the no damage in the weapon table.

It is completely allowable by RAW to deal damage AND restrain a creature within 5ft without disadvantage.

Holy fuck how has nobody not noticed nets are overpowered as fuck yet.

The first line of your post completely invalidates monks.

The second line is a good idea. Back in 3.pf we had a houserule wherein monks could get silk handwraps; they cost 300 gold (same as a masterwork weapon back then) and could be enchanted, and added whatever magical properties they had to your unarmed strikes. The Amulet of Mighty Fists was a terrible idea anyways.

I know, I was just saying I guess

Can you make an improvised weapon attack with something that is an actual weapon, not an improvised one?
I think an improvised weapon attack with a net would be something like a wet-towel slap that doesn't restrain as well

Ebin, if a "monk" is participating in a bar brawl, he can be sized accordingly too if you want. Point of a wrastlin match is often cause two non monks want to fight.

>Draw net
>Attack
>Use net
>No more drawing actions this turn so your restrained enemy either takes no more hits or you whip him with your net some more
It's balanced.

Make him a werefly, duh.

Since I'm a DM:
>a monastery exclusive to Kenku. The monks are only capable of saying ~four things because they spend so much time away from society.

As a player, i'd probably end up playing a Hobgoblin Battlemaster, with emphasis on being a tactician and stuff. He was beat out by a wizard, and left hoping to get better and one day kick that guy's ass.

>Can you make an improvised weapon attack with something that is an actual weapon, not an improvised one?
You mean like slapping someone with the flat of a sword to deal bludgeoning damage? Sure. A shortsword could be used as a club, a lnogsword as a mace, and a greatsword as a greatclub.

>Players: What's that crazy PC concept you have in mind from Volo's PC races?
I'll be playing nothing but kenku with a Soundboard at my disposal
Maybe also a kobold worshiping bahumut

Supreme edgelord master looking Fallen Palock but in reality he's optimistic, mild-mannered, generous, happy-go-luck and even naive person

Unless you do something weird like use a Handcrossbow so you can shoot them with a bonus action.

Sounds like a pretty good build for a Drow to me.

>Everybody is punching eachother for 1d6-1d8 damage
>Monk suddenly enters
>Everybody deals 1 now

Like I say here , not trying to invalidate a monk in a bar brawl, but leveling up fist damage is nice because it goes quicker. It's either that, or do skill challenges basically. Set out how many punches someone can take or whatever.

My point about fist weapons is like, knuckles or claws or whatever, that help modify a monks martial attacks. I often see the meme that monks can't wear magic armor, but they can if you make it clothes they can wear, or weapons, but you can if you make that fancy axe a knuckle that boosts their flurry. You could even two for one it and make gauntlets of monkness (though this is a bit of a cop out but I love FF monks so)

Yes, I just read the section in the phb a bit more thoroughly and it actually states that all things you can hold in your hands can be used as improvised weapons. I'd still say that wouldn't make the net restrain someone though

No, all improvised weapons, whatever was the intended use, deal 1d4.

DRUIDS
R
U
I
D
S

I think the more likely thing would be to give the monk a d12 on top of their normal damage.

The goal was to ramp up the damage dealt so the bar brawl doesn't last forever.

Unless they resemble an existing weapon, in which case you use the stats for that weapon.

A druid can use a dagger
sickles confirmed obsolete
makes more sense to have a knife than sickle if you live innawoods anyway

Here it is.
I'm just about to search sage advice and eratta.

>implying you need to attack them
You've just dealt 1d4+strength damage AND restrained an enemy, and the enemy must spend an entire action to get free (or possibly less than an action if they have slashing abilities). Not only do they need to use an action to get free, but any teammates before your enemy's turn get advantage against them, and the enemy has disadvantage to make reaction attacks.

Furthermore, a rogue can sneak attack using the net.
A rogue with booming blade can:
1. Throw a net, deal damage.
2. Apply booming blade effects (more damage, secondary effect if they move)
3. Deal sneak attack damage
4. The target is now restrained.

I meant for flavour though, druids use it to gather herbs and shit

Well, you know, many players like the explanations of whats going on in a combat, like what do their hits do to their targets and what enemy attacks do to them, not just "you get hit"
I guess my point is that various "plot armor" explanations, like when you don't actually get hit when you get hit in a game, do not work that well with a game system.
I think this went out for too long already, lel.

Stat me.

Do you know anything about druids
>He wants to use a dagger for the mistletoe
You instafail all spells with material components and Daghda now wants you dead. The end.

>craziest pc concept
tabaxi traveller constantly being lead around the world by her own curiosity for rare stories. one day she delves into a forbidden library and finds herself drawn to an ancient black tone. as she reads the insane scribblings they imprint on her mind. she feels compelled to keep the book close to her. she still travels the world, constantly chasing her fleeting curiosities like before, but now, though she does not know it, her whims are no longer her own...

she's a tabaxi girl great old one warlock that slowly becomes consumed by a lust for knowledge that isn't her own

Large monstrosity, unaligned

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 59 (7d10 + 21)
Speed 40 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
20 (+5) 12 (+1) 17 (+3) 3 (-4) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages —
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Special Traits
Keen Sight and Smell: ~ has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.

Actions
Multiattack: ~ makes two attacks: one with his beak and one with his claws.
Beak: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) piercing damage.
Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage.

youtube.com/watch?v=hPHKP6dNqe8

Quite a few of the moves in this fight are hits, note how only the last one is a major wound.

Can someone post the dinosaur stats (specifically brontosaurus) from the new book?

Probably mixing Fighter and Radiant Fist monk on a Scourge Aasimar. Basically have them be a burning source of radiant energy encased in heavy armor, opening small gaps to fire blasts of energy out of it, or exposing it more fully to scorch everything nearby.

Basically just playing a living pillar of death-light.

I see your point, but I don't think you quite get mine.

>crazy pc concept
A kenku warlock that sold its soul for a creative spark. The fiend gives him a familiar that comes up with creative ideas for the kenku.

Just checked through errata.

Net does not normally deal sneak attack damage because it does not ordinarily deal damage.
However, since you're making a melee attack with a ranged weapon, you're now dealing damage.

No errata or sage advice I have found seems to say any of this is not RAW.

Well, great. Enjoy the new meta of barbarian-rogues using net+shield.

Also worth noting you do not lose the net from your hand unless the enemy destroys it with a slashing attack.

Someone should ask one of the ruleymans at wizards about this stuff on twitter or somesuch

I feel like it would be better to go for Dual Wielder so you can have a second weapon to stab them with. Also helpful for Rogue in case the net misses.

I would suggest Trident + Net just to be thematic

Cleric with a weapon and shield in hand and I cast a spell with somatic

Do I have to sheathe my weapon first or something so that I have a free hand?

"When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction
to attack with a net, you can make only one attack
regardless of the number of attacks you can
normally make."
Wording is a little ambiguous since it doesn't specify per turn or per action, but it says a thing

Technically speaking, it isn't a ranged weapon. It has Special and Thrown properties, but that doesn't make it ranged. Thrown is for weapons you CAN throw, not have to, otherwise daggers would be ranged only. So it makes a melee attack without improvised damage.

Actually then again you'll want BB/GFB to go with the net, so barbarian isn't so great because you can't use them while raging.

Not to mention, you don't need extra attack.

Fighter1/Rogue19, Fighter2/Rogue18, Fighter3/Rogue17 ... Whatever. Just make sure to get net and shield proficiencies, alongside medium or heavy armour proficiencies.

Unless you skew the rules to apply 'you add both dex and str to damage and to-hit', but that's an entirely different paradox.

Dual wielder oddly doesn't work because the net is a ranged weapon, not a melee weapon.

>Fighter/monk
For what purpose?

Mainly just one or two levels of Fighter to get Heavy armor, with 3 in Radiant fist to shoot lasers.

It's more for thematics than for any sort of optimization.

>Armor
>On a monk
You'll be hindered beyond imagination

The full plate is their wisdom bonus!

Kenku seem fun, except for the in ability to be creative. Why would telling players not to be creative ever be considered a good idea?

Only if the spell has no material component by RAW.

Yeah, perhaps it might be better to just ask my DM if I can fluff them as wearing some sort of metallic shell like that.

I just like the idea of a bunch of radiant energy trapped in a shell like that.

Here's my suggestion; if the rules seem undecided about something, and if you have to hunt down odd special-case rules that don't seem to really fit or make much logical sense if employed,then maybe you should make a ruling that does make sense and go with that.

Does it make sense to you that hitting someone with a net deals as much damage as shanking them with a knife?
Be honest.

Xerath fanboy detected

Who?

Shitty moba meme

Back when I played Pathfinder I wanted to make a Catfolk monk who specialized in rope darts, like a feline who would get distracted by its own weapon.

Thinking about reviving the idea now that Tabaxi are a race, though I might just have to fluff the weapon bit or just go with whips since it doesn't look like rope darts are in 5e yet.

There's nobody questioning that if you tried to do this in a game the DM would just say 'lol nope' but the only thing being questioned is if it's allowed by RAW, and I say yes.

I finished the rough draft of that bard archetype I mentioned in the last thread. There's also a druid archetype I finished a while ago but I don't know if I've posted it anywhere for review yet.

Presented here are the College of Miracles and the Circle of Venom.

Snazzy, but why are the ability scores in the 1e order?

I appreciate the creativity but jesus christ the clutter is too much.

I'm planning on buying the 5e books in December. I know everyone hypes 5e to be the best edition there is, but is there anything bad about it i should know about?

i literally cannot parse this without visual strain. 2/10 unironically

Maybe for a more horror-themed game.

Nothing too pressing. Be aware that the ranger is considered fairly lackluster; there's a UA version that fixes a lot of the problems. (I'd argue it overcorrects in some cases, but it's still fine.)

I'm also not a huge fan of the monster design, but 4e spoiled me in that regard.

There are a few areas where 5e is a bit dull, but nothing terrible.

You can get the Basic Rules for free on the Wizards of the Coast website, if you wanna preview it.

Bugbear Satire Bard

>6'8" clown descends from the treetops
>Grab an enemy (for 2d6 free damage) and tumble back into the canopy

Not sure if counts, but it did make me think up a vaguely Dungeon Meshi-inspired band of NPCs to use in my next campaign, consisting of monstrous adventurers (and one human party face/straight man) roaming the world to try exotic delicacies made from as many different monsters as they can. Including humanoids, if they're stupid enough to pick a fight.

...Actually, I could kind of use some help refining the character concepts for said group. Can I ask for that kind of thing here?

Hey guys.
I'm having fun designing an adventure where a doppelganger takes the appearance of BlipDoolPoolp to use kuo toas for its self interest. the village the Doppelganger operates, she takes the apperance of a priestess of Chauntea to gather informations and manipulate the local population (her end goal is to take the Count's place).

To fuel this fire (and to fill her pockets), she's setting up ambushes with Kuo Toas against passing caravans.

> Question:
I'd like the players to be able (as quickly as possible since it's supposed to be a one-shot) to unravel the connection between the kuo toas' agressivity and the priestess (or to the doppelganger directly, then to the priestess). My players are pretty new so they won't suspect a doppelganger-fuckery, so I kinda need to be obvious-ish about it.

There will already be two others ways to connect local "accidents" to the priestess, but I'd like a third.
Any idea ?

What class(es) would best fit a phoenix-themed Scourge aasimar? Light Warlock? Dragon Sorceror?

Light Warlock might be good. I'd say to use Magic initiate to pick up Cure wounds and some other fire cantrips.

Go with both.

Depends, do you want to do Radiant Damage or Fire Damage?

More importantly, how do you want to embody the Phoenix? As a cleansing flame that destroys all evil? The fire of creation that brings light, life and hope to the world?

Because I can see ways to spin both your suggestions as the former, and Light Warlock & Oath of Nature Paladin as the latter.

Slight update to the Bard's Bonus Proficiencies.
>You gain proficiency with all standard gaming sets (dice, dragonchess, playing cards, and Three-Dragon Ante). If you encounter a new type of gaming set, you can spend one hour playing the game in order to gain proficiency with it.

Do the super saiyan monk from SCAG

How come fallen aasimar seems like the least edgy and limited character from lore perspective?
Like protector and scourge both looks like soul-less evil-slaying machines, and the thing with fallen is just "he is kinda evil"