EDH/Commander General

Your First Commander Edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/elemental-notions-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for be excellent to each other

I'm making a deck based around tutoring for the most extreme hate options I can find.
Obviously Boil isn't going to make you friends with the blue player, but what's he going to do? He doesn't have any lands.

>Is your commander not budget and are you trying to win? You must be a tryhard!

>Implying it would resolve

>implying it isn't protected by 2 pyroblasts and a guttural response

Don't put Damnation in your deck, you tryhard.

That wrath is fine though.

>Implying my deck doesn't consist of 90 copies of force of will

>force of will
>triggered

>not spending 5,000 dollars on your EDH deck
it's like you don't understand the point of this format is to prove you are richer than everyone.

You guys are retarded. There's a stupidly easy counter-argument
>I've been drafting almost every friday for 10 years
>I have gotten good cards this way
>My deck is worth $1k+
>I did not pay for singles just to make a tryhard commander deck

Cost of deck has literally nothing to do with how tryhard you are.

What does saving up has anything to do with tryharding? If anything, it only shows how much he is trying to win.

Real talk I once put a tarmogoyf in my karametra deck for no particular reason other than to see what reactions I would get. Card sucks dick in EDH. When I finally played it everyone just called me retarded for playing a vanilla 7/8. Then I slapped a behemoth sledge and sanic shoes on him and slapped some bitch upside the head and they commented that goyf was too efficiently costed. Kek and a lel.

This argument was made. Their answer was that given two of the same thing, one can be tryhard and another isn't based solely on how it was aquired. Literal retardation.

Somebody who budgets their money and spends it on a card that helps out their deck is not tryhard. That's ridiculous. If he got it as a gift, that's fine, right?

If people weren't complaining about your deckbuilding choices, it wouldn't be EDH.

its an 8/9 now

i groaned at a friend playing a deadeye navigator in his deck but then i somehow managed to beat him with grave betrayal and grave pact so it wasn't all bad

At that time it was a 7/8, we had everything but tribal in the yard.

Yes because clearly everyone has a counterspell for every threat they will ever face. This is why nobody plays large threats in EDH.

What's your favorite alter?

Some dude essentially getting a present for himself does not strike me as being tryhard in the slightest.

>someone who is trying too hard to win is not a tryhard
If you randomly assorted your cards, and somehow got an exact copy of a deck that won the last big tournament, you are not a tryhard. But if you know that, and still uses it against people who are playing with intro decks, you are just being a cunt.

What if that's the only deck you own? Are you expected to make sub-par decisions and just play like a retard to accommodate them?

Getting a present for yourself is not tryharding. But saving up money just to get a card that will give you the advantage against your opponents is.

In his post, he literally said that he bought that to have a better mana base, so it wasn't just a "present for yourself".

I would just say that it is the only deck I have, and if it is ok to use it. For example, in games like Go, it is a common tradition to give a handicap to the player with less skill(by letting him start the games with more pieces on the board), so that the game is more balanced and fun for both players, maybe I would try negotiating that, giving him 2 or 3 turns of advantage as a handicap.

Is this the ultimate evasion spell? The return creature to battlefield is just a bonus.

Though really, I run it just because the flavor alone gives me a boner every time I play it, and 5CMC is still viable for EDH.

well yeah, sort of

i have a monoblack deck that i unintentionally made so good that i intentionally have to slow myself down a bit when i play it. like sure, i'm holding a tutor right now and could probably end the game with a really strong synergy but i'd rather just mess around with the board for a while longer. my winrate is pretty absurd with the deck.

How is this tryhard argument spreading into this thread? It thought it was dying out in the last one. :/

Should I run Piya or P+K Nalaar in Breya? I'm also thinking of running some flicker effects in the deck.

Kind of, since you basically lose the creature if they counter it. I really like cards that exiles and then returns the creature at the end of turn as an evasion mechanism.

>2 or 3 turns of advantage as a handicap
This looks like a pretty decent handicap, I can see some of my competitive decks having a hard time beating weak decks if they are that many turns ahead in the game.

holy fuck this shit is going into my kokusho

The thing is, hardly anyone ever counters evasion. People generally have the mindset of saving counters for spells that would outright win the game or otherwise render the game solved. Especially that FoW when everyone's practically tapped out. I have never seen anyone counter Return from the Underworld.

gonna build Saskia and there's nothing you can do about it

People hardly counters evasion, because hardly evasion wins games. But if you want the ultimate evasion spell, it is because the creature you want to survive will be the difference between winning or losing, and that is the kind of card people want to counter.

Well, no one can say for sure, but I am going to put Pia and Kiran in my deck, they look like will synergize enough, since they give enough thopters to fuel Breya right away.

This is also the reason I added Whirler Rogue too, and on top of that, Whirler Rogue second ability helps me getting through with creatures like Silas Renn, that helps the artifact recursion.

What does edhg think about The Great Aurora? personally I love it as a late game equalizer when everyone's board is nuts

Solid chaos effects in green, what's not to like. Broken may board more than once.

I love it as a card, and I built a standard deck around it during eldritch moon but whenever i use it in commander I always seem to end up with the worst board state after it resolves :/

My first big boy. I don't have that deck anymore, I kind of consider making one again sometimes but ever since I came to the realization he isn't some big fat happy squid it isn't the same.

>whining about someone buying a card
How does it feel being That Guy?

>came to the realization he isn't some big fat happy squid it isn't the same.
How is he not a big happy squid?

I'd rather just play o-stone/perilous vault. This doesn't help you come back if you're behind.

Hey guys what do you think of my Hoard Of Notions deck... Do I need to add more tap lands?

Fuck forgot to link deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/elemental-notions-2/

Where can I buy one

And

Is it legal

>whining
All I am doing is trying to teach retards the definition of an expression.
If being a smartass is That Guy for you, I guess I am That Guy now.

Are you kidding me

And

Are you dumb

>Getting a present for yourself is not tryharding.
>unless you intend to use it in your deck

I can't believe there is actually anyone who is insane enough to actually belive this.

I'm glad we don't share a play group. You sound insufferable.

You can't. Only one was ever made, iirc.

And it's not legal in any format.

No

&

Yes

You're not teaching anything. You're just being wrong.

>being a smartass
When we're you being a smartass? Or do you mean you were just intentionally being retarded?

Love these so much but are there similar alters for the other iterations of the titans?

I am also glad we don't share playgroups, because you can't understand that the same action can have different meanings under different contexts.

So, why don't you go on the internet and look at the very definition of a tryhard? You will see that it is a person who is trying hard to win, when the others are just trying to have fun. And that was the exact context of the original poster.

Google that card, and you will see why your question was dumb.

>Your First Commander
Part of me wants to put him back together now that I've gotten a handle on deckbuilding for a 100-card singleton format

>You will see that it is a person who is trying hard to win, when the others are just trying to have fun. And that was the exact context of the original poster.
Except it wasn't. How do you not understand that someone buying a dual land does not mean they're just trying to win and not have fun? That's the whole discussion that apparently went completely over your head. You can still have fun with a dual land in your deck. Buying a card does not make you a tryhard. Only retards think that.

Does your playgroup not try to win at all? Do they stop right before someone loses and pat each other over the back and congratulate each other on how much fun they had? If not, they must be tryhards because they tried to win.

And Bob over there got hid card as a gift, so that's cool. But Jim over there bought the exact same card, what a tryhard dick.

So does buying any card make you a tryhard, or is there a spending limit before tryhard status? Is it cumulative if you buy multiple cards? Is there an expiration?

Asking for a friend.

If you buy Magic cards that can cause or assist in the loss of your opponent or play the game and attempt to win, then you are a try hard.

Also asking for a friend-

He bought a card for a different format but now wants to use it in edh. Is it tryhard? I'm not sure if he intends to win with it or not. Should I ask him first, or just knock his deck on the ground right away?

Ok, what if I buy a card, don't use it in my deck, but then trade it for a card I do use in my deck? Is that tryhard? Wait, is trading in general tryhard? I think we need a pamphlet on this.

If he bought a card it is a sign that he could be a tryhard. If he tries to attack or interact with you in any way other than to jerk you off then he is a tryhard.

He's pretty fun in 3+ games, opponent attacks another opponent with fatty and it gets chump blocked you can bounce the blocker and give the other creature double strike.

You realize the creature would still be blocked even if you bounced the blocker, right? So the double strike wouldn't do anything.

Sorry, should have added that the time that this had happened the creature had trample.

>Except it wasn't
He literally expressed his friend concern that what he was doing was not fun. So probably his friend thinks that he is trying too hard to win by making a deck too strong for their playgroup.

>You can still have fun
You say that as if tryhards can't have fun. Some people have fun in tryharding, and some people don't have fun around tryhards, and that expensive dual land was in his friend definition of not fun.

>everyone tries to win
This is why the term is called "tryhard" and not just "try", there is a difference between someone trying, and someone trying hard.

>Same card gift argument over and over again
You somehow have it stuck in your head that the card is what makes a person a tryhard, when it is the attitude of the person.

I'm thinking of picking up the Null-Black Commander 2016 deck when it comes out. It's looks like it's pretty good out of the box, manabase aside, but I'm still probably going to put about $50-$60 into it. What cards should I cut first from the precon list? I know I'm probably taking the shitty partner legends out, but other than those, I'm not really sure where to start.

So his friend gets to decide whether or not he's a tryhard?

>Some people have fun in tryharding
But you seem to have an extremely low bar in what is a tryhard. To the point where the vast majority of the magic playing community would be a tryhard by your definition.

>there is a difference between someone trying, and someone trying hard
Explain again how the simple act of purchasing a card shifts from just trying to trying hard.

>You somehow have it stuck in your head that the card is what makes a person a tryhard, when it is the attitude of the person
You somehow have it stuck in your head that purchasing a card or having an expensive card in your deck makes a person a tryhard. Buying a card does not create an attitude of tryhard.

I bought a card when it was super cheap, then it shot up in price. At what point did it make me a tryhard? Will I stop being a tryhard if the price goes back down?

What commander deck do I give to my son when he comes of age so that I can play with him and the wife?

I think it's pretty clear to everyone that the guy is a moron. Can we please stop arguing about this?

I feel bad for those sad losers who had goyf back when he was under 20$, now they must be uber tryhards

Brago, Meren Or Oloro

>play mimeoplasm with focus being self mill and reanimator to get good creatures to copy with him
>find myself barely casting mimeoplasm and winning through reanimation or just going aggro fast

Should I switch to Tasigur or keep at it?

Two words. Divine Intervention.

Tryhard is anyone who is trying too hard to win when their playgroup is just trying to have fun. It is usually used as a derogatory term because it usually ruins the fun for the others, since the tryhard will win almost all the time.

>his friend decides
His friend has a better grasp of their playgroup meta better than us, and he expressed that adding dual lands would ruin the fun for the others.

>extremely low bar in what is tryhard
By definition, tryhard doesn't have an upper or lower bar. If someone is netdecking and making a deck too strong for his playgroup, he is a tryhard, no matter how much he spent on the deck, how he got the deck, or how strong the deck is compared to tournament-level decks.

>purchasing makes you a tryhard
It's the attitude, not a single action alone independent of context.

>purchasing a card or having an expensive card
Quote me exactly where I said any of those, because I never said it. In the context of the original poster, buying those cards were tryharding, but I never said that anyone who buy cards are tryhards.

>Buying a card does not create an attitude of tryhard.
He had to save up money beforehand because the card is expensive for him, bought the card, told his friend, and his friend showed his concern towards it, and even then it didn't seem like user was willing to give up on that, so by all means, he is trying too hard to win.

Why don't you bring up an objective and solid argument instead of samefagging? I know you can't, because any reliable source of information is going to tell that you are actually are wrong on what a tryhard is.

Two words: thirty dollars
I wouldn't shell out for a card that loses its appeal after the first time it's used.

>His friend has a better grasp of their playgroup meta better than us, and he expressed that adding dual lands would ruin the fun for the others.
You came to this conclusion by literally one line of "Isn't that supposed to be a fun deck."

>It's the attitude, not a single action alone independent of context.
And you have little to no knowledge of the attitude of that person. Just that he bought a card. The fact that he bought a card and his friend made a passive aggressive comment about it is literally all you are going on in calling him a tryhard. It's pretty clear that you think the fact that he bought a dual land made him a tryhard.

>Quote me exactly where I said any of those, because I never said it.
You are trying very hard to convince yourself and everyone that a post about someone buying a card made him a tryhard. Again, him buying the card and a short passive aggressive comment is literally all you're going on in making the tryhard conclusion. This implies that you think buying an expensive card makes you a tryhard.

.He had to save up money beforehand because the card is expensive for him, bought the card, told his friend, and his friend showed his concern towards it, and even then it didn't seem like user was willing to give up on that, so by all means, he is trying too hard to win.
His friend made a lame little comment. If my friend made a stupid comment that was off the mark, I would be confused also.

>samefagging
Nope. Nice try though. I'm sure it makes you feel better to think I'm the only one who thinks you're an idiot, just like it makes you feel better throwing out tryhard.

You sound like an idiot. Please stop shitting up the thread again.

You're being trolled. Please just stop.

Whatever. I'm tired anyway.

The guy is fundamentally wrong and there isn't any convincing him, so it's just a waste of time.

>pic
Says the guy who edited the page script in inspection mode. But now you will have to reply to me multiple times, otherwise you will be found out.

>"Isn't that supposed to be a fun deck"
He asked that because he doesn't think that the deck is fun anymore. And by user complaint about his mana base, it is exactly what it is implied there.

>It's pretty clear that it is because he bought the dual land
Strawman. Did you even read the post? I literally said that it doesn't matter what card it is, or how he got the card.

>buying the card
Strawman, I already said that it doesn't matter if he bought it or not, it is the context.

>I would be confused also
user showed little confusion towards it, since he said "Why do some people think "for fun" or "casual" means having a shitty mana base and bad cards?", so he knows exactly what his friend is talking about.

This is such an arbitrary notion that really isn't worth exploring.

If you are that concerned, pay close attention to your playgroup. Find out who continuously dominates games and see what is different from him and other players. I can almost guarantee it isn't just expensive cards.

Remember, the best way to approach problems is communication, so speak DIRECTLY with your group about any issues you may have, maybe even in private if appropriate.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/

Deck for reference. Not really seeking feedback but if you know better replacements I will appreciate them

>not really asking for feedback
>asks for feedback

uhhh...

You've posted this before as well, so I'm not really sure what you want. If you want a reanimator deck, I'd say put Sidisi at the helm instead with a bit of tweaking.

btw Glissa's scorn still only destroys artifacts.

I always thought he looked different than his art let on like some fat towering kraken thing and dug it. He looks mighty pissed in the art but to be fair he could be basically playing in a bigass bath tub with wood boats instead of rubber.

>buying cards
What a tryhard. I don't even buy boosters, I scout under the tables for all the cards that people throw away.
I got my dices that way too.
But uh.. they paid for the cards, is that tryhard? I once found Demonic Pact, is it paid for the FoW moneys?

>still forgot to update the list

Fuck my bad and sidisi a shit.

Says the guy who edited the page script in inspection mode. But now you will have to reply to me multiple times, otherwise you will be found out.
I have no idea what that means. I'm in incognito mode if that helps. But keep thinking I'm the only one that disagrees with you. That's cool.

He asked that because he doesn't think that the deck is fun anymore. And by user complaint about his mana base, it is exactly what it is implied there.
Doesn't think the deck is fun anymore... Because of the inclusion of a dual land. Really? That's retarded. If that's the case that shows that the friend has the attitude of a whiny little kid, not that the purchaser has the attitude of a tryhard.

>Strawman. Did you even read the post? I literally said that it doesn't matter what card it is, or how he got the card.
Your entire argument is a strawman based on reading way too much into a post. You are coming to the conclusion that some user is a tryhard based ONLY on the fact that he bought a dual land for his deck. That's literally it. A logical conclusion from that would be that you think buying a dual land is being a tryhard because that's literally all you're going on.

>Strawman, I already said that it doesn't matter if he bought it or not, it is the context.
The context is only that he bought a dual land for his deck.

>user showed little confusion towards it,
user showed a lot of conusion. "...It is (still a fun deck)."

>he knows exactly what his friend is talking about.
He is asking why is friend is being whiny and complaining about something so minimal.

Being a tryhard is always subjective to your playgroup. Just ask your friends what they think is fair and what they consider tryharding.

In my playgroup we have agreed that our deck total shouldn't pass $100, so we don't have any butthurting because of price, and if one deck start winning too much, the game starts as archenemy whenever that player uses that deck because of multiplayer politics. So far those rules worked pretty great for us.

>Sidisi a shit

WOOOOOOOOOW, I respect your opinion.

If it feels like it's working, I'd keep at it and just keep tuning the list to better use Mimeoplasm while still playing towards your reanimator strengths. Best of luck, Sultai bro.

It depends on how big you go with your mana. Great with Wolfbriar Elemental, Grave Titan, Darien King of Djeldor, Prosh etc. Special mention to Avenger of Zendikar, who usually dies but people ignore the plants. Anything that helps you put more stuff into play, usually tokens, but also land rampers like Azusa/Oracle of Mul daya, Crucible of Worlds or Rings + Fetchlands, or reanimation effects like Sepulchral Primordial.

I've seen games go either way. It deals with the board in many situations, sometimes people draw for 18 and only get three lands and sadface, other times it helps a screwed opponent get back into the game with lands and action whilst also removing serious combo threats off the board. Also be aware that it may be Reverberated/Twincast etc, giving everyone more mana to use after the shuffling is finished. Time Stop hurts.

Expensive, Powerful, Unpredictable. Awesome card

Its not that I dislike Sidisi its just that I don't want to make the typical sidisi deck. I'll try switching with tasigur and see what happens.

Did you really just accuse someone of editing the page script just to samefag you?

Just wow.

>Because of the inclusion of a dual land.
It is more than that, it is the fact that user is willing to save up money just to make his deck more competitive, regardless of what his friend considers fun.

>ONLY the fact that he bought a dual land
>this is the only context
Did you forgot the part where his friend was concerned towards the deck not being fun anymore?

If all user posted was "I bought a dual land" it would ok, not much could be implied here other than he bought a dual land.

But the fact that he tried hard to get the card to make his deck stronger, his friend said he didn't consider it fun, and dissatisfied with that, posted it here showing no regard towards his friend opinion, this is where I implied he is a tryhard.

Do your playgroup consider that whatever are you doing is trying too hard just to win? If yes, you are a tryhard, if no, you are not.

>It is more than that, it is the fact that user is willing to save up money just to make his deck more competitive, regardless of what his friend considers fun.
How is putting a few bucks aside in order to buy cards for a hobby you enjoy being a tryhard?

>Did you forgot the part where his friend was concerned towards the deck not being fun anymore?
No I didn't, I mentioned the one passive aggressive comment that you're basing your entire argument on many times.

>But the fact that he tried hard to get the card to make his deck stronger
Again, adding a card to your deck to make it stronger is not tryhard. That's what tweaking your deck is. Are people who ask for advice on better cards in these threads tryhards? By your definition, they are.

>his friend said he didn't consider it fun
One passive aggressive comment that made his friend sound like a whiny kid.

>and dissatisfied with that
For very little reason.

>posted it here showing no regard towards his friend opinion
His friend's opinion was shit. It's also one friend. It's a multiplayer format. If his other friends had complained, it's reasonable to think he would have mentioned them as well. More than likely they didn't think twice about it.

>this is where I implied he is a tryhard
And you were just wrong, as explained many times.

On second thought, you're right. Buying a card for your deck shows that you're an obvious tryhard. Slowly adding cards to your deck as you come by them wanting to make your manabase more consistent is blatantly being a tryhard. It wasn't just a buzzword thrown out in frustration like rationalizing babies often do.

You got it buddy, we're thoroughly convinced. Good game. I'm going to bed.

>How is putting a few bucks aside
This part here is pretty important " regardless of what his friend considers fun."

>No, I didn't
Then why do you keep forgetting, and saying that he only mentioned buying the dual land?

>people asking for advice
As I said before, no context. Could be, or could not, it depends.

>More than likely his other friends
Now you are just making this shit up.

>And you were wrong, as explained many times
It wasn't. You kept on going about how you think that I think that people are tryhard because of dual lands. I even went and explained exactly what I implied from that post, and you did nothing to say where I was wrong in it.

>accuses of samefagging
>screenshot of not samefagging
>but you messed with the script just to fool us!

What a special little guy you are.

OG commander was B/G goodstuff with (barely) some artifact synergies. Eventually she turned into the GitGud Toad and now is one of my best decks.