Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

What's something goofy in your game that wasn't supposed to be?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Kineticists of Porphyra IV: End of an Era playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1XTgiUdDSrTCvATEDeDJ4MnbDgS6KEBLu2e9mjj5fwaw/edit
Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo---investigator-archetypes/empiricist
theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What's something goofy in your game that wasn't supposed to be?
My GM attempted to get an NPC to romance my character. Both characters (and players) were so awkward that the rest of the group was in stitches for the rest of the night.

Yokai kitsune ex-princess (male) as a inquisitor (sanctified slayer)

Kill yourself my man.

I'm looking at making a Shroud Adaptive Gunner Marksman in gestalt, and am wondering at what to use on the other side. I'm leaning towards Stalker or Mystic since they're both Wisdom based initiators. Stalker has the advantage of being able to take Rogue Talents, which means I can get an Essence Pool without spending a feat (Font of Power talent) to power Armbands of the Conqueror to amp Hand Cannons damage. Other than that though I feel like Stalker doesn't have much synergy, the Ki abilities are fighting for the same swift/immediate actions my boosts and counters want, and Deadly Strike doesn't do much for the one big shot fighting style of Adaptive Gunner. The Mystics glyphs are pretty neat and let you use your move action that you usually don't care about as a ranged character, but I'm not sure I want to deal with another resource in animus, and I hate the random maneuvers. Not to mention potentially using the move action to charge psionic focus instead so I can keep making my one big shot a touch attack through Fell Shot.

Thoughts? Should I maybe look at something more passive like Aegis or a Monk dip for Wis to AC?

My character's family relations and what they have done to his character. They started out as random nobodies that are barely mentioned, but since the group is now hanging around Magnimar, where they live, things have gone full sitcom family. Character's wife has been given a +15 circumstance bonus to intimidate and will saves whenever my character is present and they do nothing but argue with each others with the wife complaining about how he has become a weirdo during his travels and how his friends are equally odd. The adopted daughter is a money drain by being a daughter and the not-adopted daughter is a cohort for my character who have now formed a sort of an alliance between the two to hide every nasty detail from the wife so that they don't get murdered. The son of the patriarch is eyeballing my character, who as meta is know is possessed, but in character he doesn't know so he thinks that the patriarch-to-be has the hots for him (they are cousins). The family interactions are now the comedic relief when they come up.

Ok, so I am designing a city for a game.

Right now I am doing it from the top down. I go from city map, to districts, to things in districts.

Right now I am filling in the following district. I have a lot of features, but would love to take suggestions for NPCs, businesses, etc.

>Name
Mott Side, AKA Low Harbor, AKA The Salt Pan
>Description
This area of the city exists on a bend in Mott River, just before it heads inland from the bay. Numerous piers and docks, occupy this bend. The shore has been artificially increased by numerous buildings and the like collapsing into the water. Often the tide will bring the water over the dilapidated levees and flood the district to roughly ankle deep salt water. Once this water dries and drains under the intense son a rim of salt is left behind, along with numerous small sea creatures. This is one of the poorest districts in the city.
>Major Industries
Mott Side plays home to most of the canning factories that send fish up river towards Capre, and out of the bay across the Mordroth Sea. It also has one of the three red light districts in the city, the poorest one. As well part of the harbor is dedicated to the military force popularly referred to as the Canker Fleet. A non-aggression force they exist solely to root out smugglers along Mott River and the shores of the sea. Their shipyards and shipwrights employ many.

So, anyone want their super special NPC or organization included?

How can you refluff Manyshot to work with Crossbows? The only way I can think of is either
1) You come to battle prepared, a bolt ready to fire at a moments notice. (Really only works once without taking a down turn and still requires another attack roll)
2) Double crossbow, but that means every attack is a manyshot, which isn't what I want.

Why famalam ?

You're trigger finger is just that good.

You don't. Manyshot shouldn't be a thing.

From Pathfinder games that I have run:

Ivory Pipe enchanted with the Shadow Weave
Sandwich duels (Iron Chef + mage dueling rules from UM) at sea
Troubadors, so that the Aasimar Paladin of Mystra doesn't have to brag about himself
Gestalt Monk / Free hand Fighter discovers silk clothing with gems, and journeys to discover more

How else will I get a total of 7 arrows into my enemy at once?

... zen archer?

People dab instead of bowing.

By dual wielding. OH WAIT.

Why can Zen Archer get Rapid Shot and Manyshot as bonus feats if he can't "use" them?

Aegis.

So making an Investigator mostly core PF but GM might allow some third party.

Stats array can go in any slot:
12, 15, 17, 9, 16, 10

Thinking Str 10, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 12

may swap cha and str not sure.

I'm not sure what race I should take I was thinking of going human because it looks like being Investigator is a bit feat heavy.

I was thinking of grabbing Student of Philosophy and taking the Empiricist archetype so I'm using Int for pretty much every skill.

d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo---investigator-archetypes/empiricist

My Oracle for a RotRL game is a 24 (or so) year old half-elf. As a joke, I made him the uncle of my half-elf alchemist from a Shattered Star campaign, which had begun a few months earlier. The alchemist was 26 at the start of THAT campaign. It is only much later that I realized, in-universe, RotRL and SS are MUCH closer together than I thought. These two would've born less than 4 years apart from one another, going by their ages at the start of each campaign, and they probably would have grown up more like brothers. This is made even MORE ridiculous when I realize the GM is highly encouraging me to bring the Oracle's sister in, a full-blooded elf, as a cohort.

Having literally all my PC's be related to the same family of elves in some way is a wild, wild ride.

who the fuck knows

God damn Strange Aeons is such a fucking bad adventure path. So much railroading.

How much would it impact class balance as a whole to give Martials a free combat feat every even level? Can't imagine it would be too much for casting-gods to handle. And it would make martials feel a bit better.

No, you're onto something.

One player was really bad about comment on conversations that his character wasn't present for, so we decided he'd developed the super-natural ability to appear in any conversation, insult people, and vanish just as quickly.

Of course, I never let him abuse this when things mattered. It was just for shits and giggle in non-story related conversations.

theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/

Bonus feats are good and all, but martial need the feats *now* to come online. Using these should help out martials a ton.
Story time?

What race and class is this?

So this is related to 3.5 but I have a question concerning my Cavalier
So I'm level 10 and riding a celestial magebred ghost tiger and charging things with my +1 valorous lance and easily putting out 80-120 damage on the charge
But with that in mind, whenever I'm not charging I'm not really doing much of anything and outside of that one trick my character isn't very versatile though I do quite a bit of speaking thanks to my diplomacy score and sense motive score.

So what are some things I can do whenever I am not able to charge or put into a situation where charging just isn't an option, I do have a +1 greatsword in case I get knocked off my horse or need to dismount with a animated tower shield

Off the top of my head, the issue with martials isn't their damage, it's utility. So that wound just fuck up combat CRs more than anything.

Not a bad idea, though.

It wouldn't really make a difference in the long run, because they would still only be able to move and attack, or full attack.

This is why we like PoW, or anything that gives them a few more options in combat (granting extra actions, counters, healing, movement modes, teleportation, bonuses on saves, etc.).

>This is why we like PoW

I thought you guys liked it because you could go into a level 1 game with an initiator, BTFO every combat encounter with fucktarded damage, and then yell "TOTALLY BALANCED tier 3" until, like, level 8?

So, you mean like... literally any character that tries to do combat can?

You're right we should just move and power attack every turn. So fun. Why should non-casters get options?

for fucks sake here we go again

>implying 1pp martials are anywhere as as encounter breaking
Please.

>You don't like PoW so you must be in favor of caster supremacy!

>PoW is balanced in combat any martial can wreck encounters!

Where the fuck is that bingo card?

I think that bingo card was a "PoW did nothing wrong" one.

This is purgatory

Limbo!

No, those are vampire tits

>Wizards don't have any control spells
>Bards don't
>Maguses don't have any burst
>Ranged combat in general isn't a joke
>CMB/CMD isn't broken and worthless
>Barbarians aren't good at meatgrindering things
>All the other classes don't do anything
Why do we even play this game, then?

No, because you can eventually get out of Purgatory.

This is Ravenloft.

Those are dragon tits

I could do that with ToB and it was still by far the best book ever written for 3.5.

You were specifically implying that people like PoW because of power level rather than versatility. I called you out on being an asshole.

In search of Sanity part 1 summarized
>start in a dream sequence
>a doppelganger fully kitted out with magic gear hunts down and murders everyone in the party
>everyone wakes up in prison cells with amnesia
>have to steal a key off of another doppelganger
>kill doppelganger and escape
>oh shit you're in an asylum
>oh look other survivors - too bad they wont help you until you kill 3 or more doppelgangers
>Pharasma is the main deity it seems and the only one who protects your char from nightmares
>Sarenrae is apparently a major religion in Ustalav now
>first third of path is dealing with doppelgangers and haunts
>second third is exploring the asylum
>final third is fighting a cult
>railroading the entire time
>one room the GM had to cut out because it had a CR 17 in it and we were level 2
>paizo cannot into psychological horror - how they implement it in the path is just pure AND THEN THIS HAPPENS TO YOU AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT NOTHING YOU DO MATTERS

I'm playing Part 2 right now and what we've learned:
>one PC despite being from Andoran worked as a random mook for the Count for years
>the entire town dislikes us because the whole party was actually mooks for the Count
>one PC apparently picked a fight with a member of the sleepless detectives
>one PC beat a man to death on the orders of the Count
>the Count was the one who put us in the asylum on the first point
>the party has been banned from renting from the only place in town due to something that happened in amnesia period
>apparently, one of the PCs used to gamble and go drinking despite that being out of character for everyone in the party

Everything is a fuckfest, we have pretty much just one ally in town and now we gotta kiss ass to the sleepless detectives to get people to like us.

>theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/

I like these, but I'm weary of trying to change game balance, in the fear that I'll cock it up worse. Has anyone tried playing with any of these?

>Implying I'm him.

>Also implying that people can't like things for different reasons

He was still a baiting asshole and you were playing into it.

>Barbarians aren't good at meatgrindering things

In Path of War, you can be a barbarian with maneuvers!

Game balance is an illusion.
There's only the balance the players mutually agree on and the GM enforces.

All the rules in that link work fine and I'd even say some of them are too conservative.
(Eg instead of merging precise shot with point blank shot, the precise shot penalty and feat should be removed entirely)

>Learing of fucking up balance
user, if you really care about balance, tabletops or vidya is just not for you.

Pretty much this.

And you still implied that any martial could wreak the same kind of shit as PoW, which is a lie.

Bait is bait, but people can choose to stop baiting. You can't choose to stop being stupid.

General thoughts:
>Pathfinder is imbalanced, and the developers on a whole are unlikeable
>DSP is also imbalanced, but the developers are a bit more likable (some of them)

Honestly when I include PoW I do not see a marketable change in balance. So I include mostly because some people want to play it. It breaks the game in simply different ways.

Admittedly I have stopped allowing certain party mixes when I want "serious combat" games. Mainly in that you can't really include PoW enemies because they're too deadly, and I don't allow most tier 3 and below non PoW characters to mix with PoW characters. Tier 3 characters die way too easily compared to PoW characters.

That wasn't me, asshole.

My group started a game that was basically "Here's a giant dungeon with 100 floors, go nuts and conquer the place!"

We ended up taking a mission above ground first to gather up some funds before we went down and in doing so coordinated a rescue mission for a girl that was kidnapped in an abandoned mining refinery. After we cleared out the thugs (except for one girl we spared that later became my character's waifu) we took a look at the refinery and thought to ourselves, "Man, this place is actually pretty cool. Wouldn't it be fun to make this place into an inn for the people travelling to and from the dungeon city?"

Cue literally 4 HOURS of research into learning all of the intricacies and expenses required for making a tavern/bar, and by the end of the adventure we did the calculations and we learned that after putting over a thousand gold into the place per person, we would make about 17 gold a month back in profits. Cut to all of us having a moment of realization when we let that sink in, followed by another half an hour of nearly laughing ourselves to death when we realized all of the absurdities behind everything we had gone through in order to make this tavern. In the end we called it The Smokestacks and the realization of what exactly we'd done changed one of our player's characters from being the town hero to a surly, penny pinching psychopath.

Well then surprise! Everyone on the internet is an idiot!

That's pretty great user!
Having a place to return home to is worth the money in gold!

Any ideas on how to make the least shitty pfs legal martial build using a doru and phaleros possible?

Don't.
No, really, I don't care how desperate you are for a game. Don't play PFS. It is legitimately that awful. Go play in fucking Oustomia before that, and even as terrible as that shitpile is, you'd STILL have more fun.

>PoW is imbalanced
No. Fucking. Shit.

1pp martials are imbalanced, casters are imbalanced, Pathfinder is motherfucking imbalanced.

An initiator can scale themselves back while still being useful and fun to play, a paizo martial is either overpowered (damage-wise) and boring, or useless and double-boring.

Anyone who honestly thinks initiators having the potential to shred encounters means that PoW is bad or that it's liked for only that reason can fuck off back to the paizo forums to go fellate Buhlman.

shhhh

>An initiator can scale themselves back while still being useful and fun to play, a paizo martial is either overpowered (damage-wise) and boring, or useless and double-boring.
Casters can scale themselves back. Martials CAN be interesting.

>Anyone who honestly thinks initiators having the potential to shred encounters means that PoW is bad or that it's liked for only that reason can fuck off back to the paizo forums to go fellate Buhlman.
No, it just doesn't deserve any special praise. It's in the same pile of imbalanced stuff I put the rest of 3pp and paizo's drivel in.

At level 12 a lich's touch attack is 6d8+6 right?

I'm reading it as 1d8+6

>Anyone who honestly thinks initiators having the potential to shred encounters means that PoW is bad or that it's liked for only that reason can fuck off back to the paizo forums to go fellate Buhlman.

Dude, you can shred the fuck out of fights with just PoW:E.

My group had this same issue with Warlock's (Vigilante archetype) blast-thing. We decided that it's so unclear, it's up to interpretation, and chose to interpret 1d6 + 1 per level as Xd6 + X.

I would be a lot less annoyed by this fucking stupid bullshit if the people complaining knew anything about 3.5. You could make martials in 3.5 that did far more damage than PoW did. Didn't make them broken.

Warlock is definitely not the latter. They didn't want the awesomeness of blasting ALL DAY

This just makes me want to try it to see if anything could be as bad as the hype Veeky Forums has built up for it.

That's what I was sayin', but they argued "1d6+10 at level 20 is so terrible, there's no way they meant that, even if they accidentally wrote it."

To which I said that's the same as you might expect a fighter with a short sword to do at high levels, but they countered: "but a high level short sword is going to have hella enchantments, which the blast can't get."

I decided I wasn't sure, and it wasn't worth arguing.

>You could make martials in 3.5 that did far more damage than PoW did. Didn't make them broken.

Bitch, no matter what anyone on /pfg/ says, Pathfinder full casters aren't ANYWHERE as broken as full optimization 3.5 full casters.

Abrupt Jaunt conjurers with Uncanny Forethought and ALL the broken spells of 3.5 core and splats, holy dickballs.

That and no more wish loops and no abusing ice assassin.

Yea it's explicitly NOT the latter.

And your players would be right, because needing to spend a swift action every turn in order for each bolt, which does ENERGY DAMAGE, to do 1d6+5+5 damage, is FUCKING GARBAGE. IT IS SHUT DOWN BY BASICALLY ANY ENERGY RESISTANCE. AND REQUIRES YOU TO BE WITHIN THIRTY FEET.

I recommend you sift through this post:

Having actually played in it, yes, it is that bad.

in Terms of combat styles, Which have the most synergy; Assuming a Monk of Many Styles fuse style ability.

I'm mostly going with three style combos. Anything extra is just icing on the cake.

So far i've found that Dragon + Pummeling style is pretty decent..

Can you even afford the feats for three separate styles?

master of many styles can

>You will never get to play a Drow Noble who uses crossbows and alchemical items effectively

You still need the feat pre-reqs for anything past the initial style feat.

Why is it that a skeleton from the bestiary has -3 to hit with a single claw attack, but +2 to each attack to use both claws in a full attack? It has no special feats, BAB is 0 and a +2 STR mod.

Paizo being fucking stupid and counting the single attack as a secondary natural attack.

"At 1st level, 2nd level, and every four levels thereafter, a master of many styles may select a bonus style feat or the Elemental Fist feat. He does not need to meet the prerequisites of that feat, except the Elemental Fist feat."

Not true, only the wild card style slots work like that.

Because the claw is a natural attack following the scimitar making it a secondary attack.

It's to do with their broken armor I'm pretty sure. Broken supplies trash your usefulness pretty hard.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats

Yeah, the only ones with the label [style] are the initial feat for each style.

I'm doing shenanigans to get maximum style. Lets assume i do qualify.

snake+panther if you have high dex can be dumb

Ahh good point, i should post my stat block I Can tweak it still, but this is currently what i got.

Str17
dex15
con14
int10
wis19
cha7

Tell us all about your recent kitsune characters, /pfg/!

They don't exist.

And your meming ass deserves to be shot.

Why would we talk about nothing?

Non-existent!

Don't got any.

Yes, I know that's grammatically incorrect, it's called a colloquialism and it rolls off the tongue.

He was an asshole with a shit-eating grin and no sense of right or wrong.
Yet for some reason my group STILL LOVED HIM, WHAT THE FUCK GUYS.

Anyone got Horror Realms or Blood of the Beast? I'd love to see some spoilers.

It was a special kind of kitsune wizard that didn't have ears. Or a tail. Or any magic. In fact they were mundane. They couldn't even shapeshift they were human all the time. And they used a sword to cast spells like 'cut' and 'slash'.

Well I am currently crafting a kitsune Warlock vigilante that was going to have her hero identity be known as 'The Jade Lotus' and wear fantastic green and gold robes with a wide brim hat and mask covering her eyes. A Youkai one, specifically, from the Infusions book so they can doubly hide their identity maintaining a small fox form pretending to be the party 'wizard's' familiar they are actually a sorcerer who is scared of her natural talent with magic.

She would appear in a gust of green winds and gold autumn leaves, with the help of Prestidigitation, for that special flare.

He was a sociopathic trickster spirit essentially.

Bump

>tame lion mount, specifically a male lion

That's gotta be expensive. Considering how hard it is to get lions to heel, then the difficulty of them bearing a rider's weight in armor, and of course the care and feeding.