Xalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

>What's with the slow release schedule?
Onyx Path is run by raksha who have only a vague concept of human time.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

reactiongifs.com/r/bth.gif
docs.google.com/document/d/1OubMlMtnKczECOKHcrCpISAYv423yCB7u2fJCo1kzbQ/edit
tinyurl
web.archive.org/web/*/www.exaltedcompendium.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What's with the slow release schedule?
>Onyx Path is run by raksha who have only a vague concept of human time.

That or they use Valve time.

OP fucked up edition.

What are some of the more interesting spirits that have appeared in your games?

Can a lunar bring allies to help kill the target of a sacred hunt?

What animals would you target to fill out the most versatile/rounded out heartsblood library with the fewest hunts?

traits you'd want:
special senses like eccolocation or shark sense
a form for stealth,
something that could fly
something with gills,
something strong
something inconspicuous
something absurdly venomous,
something very quick/fast/nimble
something with a large amount of soak
something flashy/attention grabbing

and ideally many of these triats would be found in the same animal to keep it streamlined.

but what animals specifically?

I know you'd often want a spirit shape with very high physical stats, but I'm thinking I'd go with the heartwasp potential cheese over boring tyrant lizard cheese

unrelated question but would it be assumed you can't hunt essence spiders?

So, I'm creating an "Idol" Solar Exalted. Contacts 5: Adoring fans across Creation. Performance Supernal and likely Nightingale style, maybe.

Anyone wanna give suggestions to character artwork/appearance or charms I should pick up?

I was playing a game set in a region exposed to an absurdly-powerful elemental had driven him mad and enslaved him to the tide of the seasons.

During Fire, it bathed the landscape in heat so intense that anything left unattended outdoors during the daytime would rapidly dry out and then spontaneously ignite, quickly burning the surface of the region to ash. Then, five days of temperate calm and celebration, before the seasons of Air and Water, where the surface lands got frozen too brittle for life to survive outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time, barring exceptional protections from cold.

Earth and Wood turned temperate and verdant, with life exploding up from the land as frogs and insects burrowed out of where they'd been hibernating, trees grew to full-sized in a single month and old growth sized in a single season, and the crops grew faster than people could reap them. Then Fire would come again, and wipe the slate clean once more.

The people of this region lived in deep vaults under the earth - natural, deep caves whose entrances they sealed up, and whose natural curves they smoothed and carved into streets, expanded into tunnels and rooms, and built entire cities stretching down into the earth. During the seasons of Fire, Air, and Water, they'd seal up the entrances to their cities like people under siege, letting the depth keep their temperatures semi-normal while they lived off of stockpiled food and underground farms of fungus, fish, and livestock.

In the end, my group decided to slay the elemental to free the people from that destruction, but though the mortals celebrated the disruption to their culture's annual cycles proved far more deadly. Without the hyper-verdant growing seasons, they couldn't feed their cities. Famine set in, and then civil war and banditry, before people started fleeing those lands en masse to try to settled in greener pastures somewhere else.

Exalted: unintended consequences.

I'd grab a microbat for special senses, flight, and stealth.

Some kind of dolphin, whale, or shark capable of both fresh and salt water for my aquatic form.

A tyrant lizard for something strong, soaky, and attention-grabbing.

Some kind of shepherd-breed dog for inconspicuous and fast overland speed.

And some kind of tiny viper or absurdly-poisonous spider. That or go 'fuck it' and grab a box jellyfish or something.

Shouldn't a yeddim is good for strong and to travel?
Also can a Tell be the tip of your hard?

Are you drunk, or less-than-fluent?

Further Question:

What charm(s) allow you to change clothes instantly so I can have a transformation sequence.

reactiongifs.com/r/bth.gif

>What charm(s) allow you to change clothes instantly so I can have a transformation sequence.
The armor-donning charms in Resistance.

Well then, cheers, or your regional equivalent. Yeddim aren't super fast, and I'd prefer to have 'strong' and 'fight an entire army battle form' be the same form.

I still don't know what a 'tip of my hard' is, though.

Sorry, I was phoneposting, I mean the tip of hair

Sure, I guess? Tells are barely important conceptually, since they're hidden through passive magic.

does anything in 2e break if I let somebody have multiple familiars? the background seems weak enough I'm leaning towards just letting them throw the points away if they really want to

Trying to decide if my Idol should be deliciously brown (from the south) or have adorable wild mutations that are 'part of the outfit/character' (devil horns/tail, or catgirl stuff, or whatever).

I mean, I might as well own this ridiculous concept.

Remind me which charms allow GSP to expand mote pool

Alternative: take LSD or BRR (you can homebrew a bit for more mutation points)

LSD? BRR? The abbreviations aren't coming fully to mind.

Oh derp, Infernal charms.

Sadly, I only have access to Solar ones atm, though custom ones included.

Those are Infernal charms, Loom Snarling Deception and By Rage Recast

What's the minimal defensive investment a mid-ranged thrown-type character should have?

Shadow Over Water and Leaping Dodge Method.

Half the starting charm investment?

SOW and LDM are only 5 Charms between them; you get 15 to start.

In any case the minimum-minimum investment for any combat ability is 3/3 and one Charm for the Excellency (seriously, don't underestimate the Excellency), I was just trying to cover both your bases.

You can probably do without one or the other, depending on which is more important to you: avoiding onslaught or not getting caught in melee range.

thanks, I was thinking similar(had a cat for the inconspicuous, but I like the dog better)

By singing the song of your soul upon activation of your form.

docs.google.com/document/d/1OubMlMtnKczECOKHcrCpISAYv423yCB7u2fJCo1kzbQ/edit

/wodg/ was talking about Paradox cancelling all it's licensing agreements with OPP. It's fucking with their release schedule (they actually have one, unlike our useless devs) too

So would that mean Exalted would go back to using in house WW developers? As in they'd actually hire some?

More likely they'd scrap the gameline

White Wolf doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't oWoD, the game would be dropped immediately.

Even oWoD doesn't seem to be getting much actual RPG attention; so far all they've done is whore out the license.

>Even oWoD doesn't seem to be getting much actual RPG attention; so far all they've done is whore out the license.

It's Dracula's grand plan to make a multi-media, modern World of Darkness. Which has the same aesthetics and mindset as it did in the 90s, where nothing has changed and everything has been reset, and where his fucking LARPs in Scandinavia railroad the metaplot of the entire gameline.

If they did that I'd be incredibly pissed to the point where I'd do Exigents myself.

Por que no los dos? People from the East are brown too.

is Dracula pseudonym for particular writer?

On semi-related note I hate larps because they are circle-jerk of inner circle while everyone else is there to waste their time because they aren't important "players in the story".

Dracula's basically the head man of Mind's Eye Theater.

He's the guy in charge of our whole little world now, called Dracula because he was literally the model for him in one of the WoD books. Scandinavian LARPfag

Any good homebrew for Malfeas charms?

I could kiss you right now.

Supernal Performance Nightingale Zenith, who's a regional and growing in popularity musical idol in the East,and has a magical girl transformation artifact that enhances her Nigtingale martial arts.

Hmmm, what would actually be better for a Nightingale user.

Supernal Performance?

Or Supernal Presence with just a really high Performance score as well?

>Appears as a simple yellow shirt

Was the original Exigent Freddie Mercury or something?

I might modify this into a Song-Sword (or other weapon) instead of an Artifact Armor.

Hmmm.

Okay I want to build a Warstrider and pilot it like Armored Core, what should I do? Is there any charm so I can hide it somewhere and summon it whenever I need it?

>What charm(s) allow you to
in 2e one of the resistance charms did that. you had to commit essence to keep it hidden, but then you'd be instantly wearing it once summoned iirc

does loom snarling deception replace your appearance for social combat?

The way disguises interact with Appearance is a nebulous and conflicting area of the rules.

In general I err towards disguises not being able to affect Appearance, but I also treat it as a predominantly non-physical stat more analogous to "sense of aesthetic" rather than "how symmetrical is your face."

Why did the last thread get archived so fast?

Nobody posted

There were some posts from Saturday on there, is it seriously like a 12 hour time limit?

There's no set time limit. If the thread gets pushed off of page 10 because other threads are more active, it's archived.

Just imagine a board like a ladder. Each time someone posts in a thread or makes a new one it jumps onto page 1. Inactive threads are slowly going toward page 10. Last thread was started when people weren't really active (different timezones, maybe sleeping, off to work etc.) so it was archived.

did anything from www.exaltedcompendium.com/ get saved? I've seen it referenced in old archived forum posts but the site too is gone

that way makes more sense, thanks. it's what I would have thought too

> tinyurl com/ztkwju7

>It's data is lost forever, because its creator refused to open his code and data format.

A'ight, thanks guys. I was the one who posted that last thread so I was afraid I fucked something up.

Thanks, it was a guilty pleasure of mine, after making Alchemicals I wanted to make an Artifact that was basically a Symphogear, so I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Doesn't have to appear as a yellow shirt, but really just anything very unassuming. I just made it a yellow shirt as a last ditch idea going "...Well maybe you could use it as armour I guess?"

Performance is the default for singing. Presence could also be used as well. Poised Lion Attitude lets you flurry a social action and combat action every turn without a penalty.

You could, but the reason I made it into an armour was twofold:

1) Many people are mostly likely going to have different weapons

2) The armour automatically generates a weapon in Blade that Rends the Heavens, and with how this is worded applies some good flexibility for it. For example you could use it with Nightengale style, or you could do something like learn Melee or Brawl charms depending on your chosen weapon and enjoy some of the passive/defense benefits of Nightengale while using that ability as your offensive.

If you want to make it a sword however, go right ahead. I ain't a cop.

Do weeks contain the same number of days in Exalted? I know months are different.

7 days a week, 4 weeks to a month exactly, 3 months to a season, 5 seasons, for a calendar year of 420 days plus 5 for Calibration.

Infinity-like noblebright Heaven's Reach or Legend of Galactic heroes Heaven's Reach?

Either

I swear to fucking christ if the next space game I have isn't a "Space Western just like Firefly!" I'll jump for joy.

I mean I enjoy Firefly but jesus fucking christ there are other space themes.

>2e

Most of the content still appears to be there. Hell my old link to the Unofficial wiki still works.

I hate it when people don't want to open their code and basically flush nearly a decade of fan work down the crapper.

Does the Heptagram teach non Exalts?

Persumably it also teaches mortal dynasts and sorcerers.

I don't think so. It's strictly a Sorcerous academy, and the Realm frowns heavily upon mortal sorcerers.

In prior editions - when Thaumaturgy was a learned science, rather than a born art - it taught Thaumaturgy to mortals. Presumably it will still have something or another to teach to patricians.

Oooooooh, Poised Lion Attitude is from the Backer list?

Okay, that increases my options.

Why are Presenter and Socialize so much better than Performance as Supernals?

Say I have a Solar that, due to a combination of reasons (onslaught, poison, wounds, etc) his dice pool is reduced to zero. Does that mean that he auto-fails every action with that pool, or can he not take that action at all? How does this affect his Excellencies? Is the cap reduced as well or can he still add dice like he had no penalties?

You need high performance for Nightengale (And concept), but presense is amazing too.

Harmonious Presence Meditation is worth its weight in gold. If your APP is also high you can get like 17 or 18 dice on social rolls pretty easily.

>Does that mean that he auto-fails every action with that pool, or can he not take that action at all?
Probably the former.

>How does this affect his Excellencies? Is the cap reduced as well or can he still add dice like he had no penalties?
The latter; the Excellency only cares about what your Attribute and Ability add up to; bonuses and penalties don't matter.

So if you had a default pool of 6, and are eating -8 in penalties, you could dump 6 motes into the Excellency to roll 4 dice through sheer supernatural power.

So it's only if the penalties amount to double my dice pool does the Excellency do nothing? Thanks.

That's how I'd run it for most Exalts, anyway. So long as you can try, the Excellency helps you try harder.

"you can't try at all so your Excellency is irrelevant" is for shit like a blind dude trying to see what color something is, or similar.

Anyone have good character art instantiation for a large-breasted Nightingale user that doesn't use a weapon outside of their song/fists?

Having wild/fey/demon mutations is okay.

Inspiration. Fuck typos.

why do air dragonbloods get so many elements? wind, ice AND lightning?

The Pole of Air is connected to being cold as shit (Ice) and air is also responsible for the weather (Lightning). Ice should be for water though, just seems out of place otherwise.

Is this a proper scourge?

Someone with an Intelligence above 0 Dots.

Sun-Heart Furnace Soul
Transcendent Desert Within
Flames Lit Within
Beauteous Carnage Incentive
Sweet Agony Savored
Rising Tide Ascension

All from the Broken-Winged Crane, except Sun-Heart Furnace Soul.

She hit them with more than her fist

Isn't that showing an INT above 0?

So, I hear Steel-Devil Style isn't all that good but what dies "not all that good" mean in this context? Is it not worth taking, is it serviceable but not optimal, is it situationally useful?

It relies on you succeeding over the enemy's defenses by a large margin to get its meat grinder into effect. However, any opponent you are crushing enough to double or triple succeed on, why the hell do you need more bonuses? They're already fucked. And against the enemies where you need the extra murder, you won't hit the thresholds for it to happen.

All of its power turns on in situations where it is unneeded.

I think you're overestimating how hard it is to get someone's Defense down to 1 or 2 (barring people with Solar-level penalty negators), but yes, Steel Devil requires more work to get going than other styles.

Is there anywhere with all the 2nd ed comics in one place?

See But also that it dies immediately in the face of someone using a penalty negator. Granted those opponents are rare, but once you run into one its basically running into a brick wall.

When it works it works amazingly damn well. The character I've seen using it gets +30 damage withering attacks on a triple hit, but the issue is actually landing those hits.

The best way to cheese it would be to get the Dawn Fang's claws and refluff them as twin swords, though by then I wonder if you can just Tiger Style, jack yourself up to 10 STR, then enjoy +20 damage on withering attacks after grappling someone.

Oh, and the last issue that while it prompts a "Make your own omnislash!" deal, its INSANELY fucking expensive to do so.

I will say the defensive form, Sonic Slash and the parry increaser/Disarm charm are great though.

Also if you take Single Point and got XP to blow, Double Attack Technique is a good way to get more withering damage and literally swim in charge.

Wouldn't it be super spooky (more so) in an ambush?

How do you make good names for your characters? Solar Exalted in particular, but also just interested in general. I've tried finding generators or lists, but it's either dead links, unformatted textwalls, or sites bought out for chinese search engines.

web.archive.org/web/*/www.exaltedcompendium.com/

Tiger style would be 10x better in an ambush as all threshold successes are doubled, whereas Steel Devil heavily relies on charge for damage (Remember, your initiative needs to be higher in order to count for an ambush!)

Plus Tiger Style can also combo with Ebon Shadow due to having the same weapons.

Am I managing to miss something or does the 3e CRB not say anything about what the magical materials do, mechanically? Or do they not give specific bonuses like they did in 2e?

Is Voidstate dead, or does anyone know where he is? Was his site reuploaded anywhere? Anything? Please, god.

No longer specific bonuses IIRC. However, any Artifact is supposed to have an innate bonus of some kind, so if you're stuck just go with the old MM bonuses.

Ah yes, I forgot Steel Devil's charge mechanic. OH well. Still down to penalizing people and hoping for no negation.

I will say that if you get an evocation that is falling Hammer Strike? Holy shit does it go up in usefulness 10x

Trying to double attack someone with 6 or 7 parry is very difficult.

>How do you make good names for your characters?
By naming them based on whatever culture they're from.

>Solar Exalted in particular
Solars, more than any other type of exalt, are just dudes from whatever culture they're from. They have no 'Solar' names.

If my Solar was a street urchin in the Scavenger Lands, I might name him Little Mouse. If my Solar was from a warrior clan in the North, maybe he's Krang, son of Grunk. If my Solar was from the shores of the Dreaming Sea, you might find the bodhisattva Palogunagunavar acting as a guru for a new era. And if my Solar's straight out of a Southern harem, maybe something florid like Desert Jewel from a Sea of Burning Sand is the name the former-Gemmite goes by.

Solars don't have a Silver Pact with millennia of traditions and culture to impact on new exalts. Solars don't have a Realm which grants the order of things upon them from birth. Solars don't have Bureaus where they go through basic training and see their coworkers every year.

Solars are just dudes who happened to get magically exceptional, and are from whatever mortal life they've led up to that point.

What's your favorite region?