Fantasy LGBT

Is there any way for a fantasy setting to feature LGBT characters without it descending into a /pol/ vs The SJW Boogyman shitshow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KDsZNNJwxjA?t=176
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, just don't be overbearing with it

Yes, But you will be killed by the lich you forgot about.

>Make a character
>Create a good backgroud for them
>Say they're gay
*Poof*

No there isn't, because bringing up something as minor, trivial, and unimportant as sexuality in a game about creating magical worlds and stories is literally the gayest, most stupid magical realm-y thing imaginable.

Yes, don't bring it up on Veeky Forums. Normal human beings tend not to give that much of a shit about this kind of stuff, but baiting Veeky Forums with it will certainly produce /pol/ vs. t

/thread

Well, my dickgirl character was enslaved by her female companions, who treat her as nothing more than a pogo stick to get them off. Wait... what were we talking about again?

>my mfw when i read this thread

Exactly. A person's sexuality is just one facet of their character.

For T (which is less addressed by the rest of the thread), simply make an offhand mention of there being a well known if slightly expensive potion for that. Because magic can do that a lot more easily than modern methods. Maybe include a few issues with administering it quickly so the party doesn't decide that this is now their favorite method of disguise.

Yes. Don't force it and do it in a way that makes sense within universe. I played a gay character who was from a noble family and frequented certain establishments where it was an open secret that you enjoyed your lover's company but done in a discreet way. He also had to have a wife, but it was clear there was little love there. Just duty. Ended up being one of the best characters I ever played and some great storylines actually came out of it.. But it was never the core of my character.

Don't invite the faction you don't like I assume that's /pol/ to your game.

If you mean on the internet?
Than no. The internet, Veeky Forums in particular, will make anything a shitshow.

Please die horribly.

Gay characters yes, gay marriage no.
Even the most tolerant culture in your setting must want grandchildren.

What about races with high birth rates, many are born gay and have no interest in the opposite sex

In a fantasy world where such things are not taboo, it's not a big issue. Although it can certainly influence their romances, should they have them, and that can help shape a character.

In one where it is a big issue, it can be a defining character trait. Same way as playing a discriminated or lionized species or social class can be an influential character trait.

And in a setting where there are bigger issues at stake: Generally it's ; just a single facet of a whole personality that can lend itself to the character if written well and used appropriately, just like any other facet of a person's whole being.

Also true, the biological binary of Male and Female will always be a component, no one's going to argue that there's an in between of ponos and vagoogoo in a chromosomal sense (at least when it all works as intended), although sexuality is second to that. For those that need to produce an heir, it can be a problem, but not one so binding that it can't be solved by just closing your eyes and thinking of England.

Also true. If this is a fantasy setting (probably high magic), and if we're having these problems solved pretty easily, why would there be any trans people save for very short periods? Technically, trans people don't want to be trans, they just want to be people. Anything that speeds along the conversion from one to the next would be welcomed.

People can have children without getting married anyway.

Wait, are you one of those disgusting deviants who only has straight consensual sex in the missionary for the sole purpose of recreation within the confines of wedlock are you?

Yea, it's not difficult at all. Several of my NPCs are gay or bi or transsexual]. Some are pretty obvious about it, others only came up after the players went snooping into their personal lives, others its never come up.

LGBT characteristics are just characteristics like any others.

You wouldn't know this by the big fucking deal some people seem to make out of it. It just reminds me of people who are obsessed with other things and define their identity entirely by that thing. If you take it away, you end up with a supremely boring individual who has no redeeming qualities.

This is a hard fact that LGBTs continually fail to understand. For them, their sexuality = their entire self-identity. They just don't get it.

Oh great. Here come all the DMs who play exclusively from the Magical Realms Box Set.

And what are they without their sexuality and their gender identity? What are their hobbies? What are their hopes and dreams? Wants and needs? Strip that away, and I bet all that would be left is a horrid, wretched little nothingling.

Help me out lads. On the one had I'm an intolerant biggot and hate all homosexuals on principal. In the other hand I want my setting to include lesbians. How do I balance this?

>be me
>create gay character for my D&LGBT campaign
>race: gay
>class: homosexual
>alignment: neutral gender
>strength: gay
>dexterity: gay
>constitution: gay
>intelligence: gay
>wisdom: gay
>charisma: gay
>use mainly gay spells/a gay sword
>my character's backstory is that he is a homosexual and also likes men
>That DM tells me my character sheet doesn't make sense
>tells me that my character can be a fag as much as he wants but needs other aspects of his character to be present
>tells me that I need numerical values for the stats
>tells me there are no gay spells and a weapon is generally asexual and thus can't be attracted to the same sex or anything for that matter
If it isn't obvious the DM here was a total faggot.

I don't doubt there's people out there like that. I've met a few. But there's also this big kind of pushback by people who don't think they should be allowed to marry and consider them subhuman, which means they have to push back all the more forcefully.

Polarization within a culture over such issues make those issues stand out because both sides feel the escalating need to make a stand in the face of the other.

When the fact that you work as an engineer or a lawyer isn't really in contention, neither of those facets merits much attention. When whether you fuck men or women is in contention, it's the part that's relevant to the discussion. Saying it's the only facet of a character when it's the only facet being focused on is kind of blatantly missing the context.

It really depends on the person, some people do make a pretty fucking big deal about it, of course, there is always more to a person than that, but they make it the focus on how they present to the world.

> Race: gay
What an odd way to spell 'Elf'

Make NPCs like the ones on the right. In this case, the stereotype is there for a reason. My 1st serious GF had 2 mommies, and they looked exactly like this. Also, my 1st boss. Yes, I live close to Dyke Mecca or something.

Your spoiler actually made me want to vomit.
>thank you for using spoilers but never post again
>I feel sick now
>you left a sour taste in my mouth

Never post anything on the entire internet again

Make a gay character but don't be a fag about it.

Play Car Lesbians.

I hope you fuckers aren't so boring with your games as to think that sexuality is something that /never comes up and if you try to talk about it you're an SJW beta cuck/ or fucking whatever

like do you have NPCs who talk, communicate and relate to each other or do your poor fucking players just trudge through a series of caves where enemies stand still and attack them?

if your world is going to be immersive or just fucking interesting at all relationships between people should probably fucking come up, and of they do then there's no reason for queer ones not to. why would you want a less sociologically interesting society to set your murderhobos upon?

>Not using the necessity of hiding their preferences in a highly sexist society who think homosexuality is sinful as a tool to show the bonds of trust that form between your character and the others

Exactly.

>I hope you fuckers aren't so boring with your games as to think that sexuality is something that /never comes up and if you try to talk about it you're an SJW beta cuck/ or fucking whatever

^ I think we just found the SJW beta cuck or fucking whatever.

If it ever comes up, then yes, you've gone magical-realm, period.

Yes, playing murderhobos is my escape from society AS IT IS. Go perform your bullshit sociological experiments where people don't like fun.

For real though, where is /pol/?
Why has this thread not been shitposted into oblivion?

Aren't there some photographers you should be beating up at your campus safe-space or something?

If we were all surrounded by as many Puritanical oppressors as you imagine, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We are talking about a different time period and society, stop getting triggered.

In a game where characters have [Bonds] it could work, much the same as any compromising secret held between trusted confidants. The only wider-ranging limitation on it is that it affects the individual rather than society at large.

Well, probably also his family and stuff, who might cut their ties with him or lose social standing with other competing houses. Maybe put them in a compromising position and some political intrigue with a wider range of consequences should the secret come out, which could endanger the character's goals.

Um, no. And fuck you, I read it right. You're running it as a simulation narrative. You can stop lying anytime.

Do you need a safe space?

>If it ever comes up, then yes, you've gone magical-realm, period.

we're talking about games set in magical-realms you dumb dull motherfucker

So here is an example from my setting.

High House Gem, Which Likens Itself to Depravity's patriarch is a gay polygamist. He also happens to a sadistic sociopath. The fact that he is gay doesn't really factory into these, but the entire house has themes of "excess" and "sexual deviancy" and in that culture homosexuality is deviance.

Yes, just don't bring it up unless in a scenario or environment where it would come out naturally rather than with Jolar the Crane, monk of the Order of Balanced Toes, spends most of his day meditating in a closet only to pop out when somebody passes him by to say "Hey, I like dick" and then returns to his meditation.

T H I C C

Newsflash: players ignore 80+ percent of your master crafted, sociologically interesting societies.

If an NPC's offhanded remark pertaining to their sexuality is what they take notice of, the group you are playing with is either incredibly horny or incredibly bored of the rest of the game.

The most tolerant culture would know the existence of gay marriage doesn't stop people having babies.

Isn't that Blue Rose game basically that?

Yes, don't talk about it on the internet. I've DMed a couple campaigns with gay characters and all that usually came of it was that I shifted the genders of some NPCs. I guess I just had a good group or something.

One that actually used it was a character with an arranged marriage that was using adventuring as an excuse to delay that and fool around a bit. I tried to turn it into a dichotomy of Duty vs Personal Fulfillment and he went with duty for all his little chunks of the story. The last scene of the campaign was at his wedding to the girl, actually.

No

Yeah, you just don't make a big fuckin' deal about it.
>This bloke likes that other bloke, help him ask the guy out as a side quest
>The queen's a complete bitch with the beheadings and whatnot, maybe her wife can be used as leverage somehow to undermine her power
>You notice that one of the mercs working with you is making his voice much deeper than it actually is. He might have been born female
>That Orc's cheating on his Elven wife and shaging that Dragonborn, time for some blackmail

>Is there any way for a fantasy setting to feature LGBT characters without it descending into a /pol/ vs The SJW Boogyman shitshow?
Sure, run for players who aren't triggered, career-offended reverse hambeasts.

There's always gotta be one minor lord who's "married to his work" or bulldyke warrior lady who hits on the female characters.

>he hasn't heard of 10 generation theory

I am op and those are good ideas.

They're not having kids anyway dingus. Whether they're married or not doesn't affect that

>He believes shit he reads on the internet
How are the kids by the way?

Stop doing the first part?

Every gay character I've seen in an RPG was either played for laughs or to virtue signal.

at least the first can be light-hearted and doesn't need to be overtly offensive

wheres that image from?

>lol let me show those sjws what's up by throwing dm fiat at them
>lich falls everybody dies!
>lol I'm so clever

If the GM had dropped hints, its fine.

Deeeeeelicious
youtu.be/KDsZNNJwxjA?t=176

Does sci-fi fantasy count?

>Want humanitarian paladins
>Decide on female humanitarian paladin order centered in the PNW of my USA post apoc setting
>Some women are gay or have gay sex in the order
>Will not come up unless asked

That bad?

Well, they're both subsections of fiction, so yeah I guess it counts.

Doesn't seem that bad. Sometimes women fuck other women and they don't make a big deal about it? I know women who fuck other women and don't make a big deal about it. It's just, like, a thing, I guess?

Sounds like the DM didn't since all the players were surprised.

Slaanesh, literal god(ess?) of degeneracy

Please keep to your containment board.
It's faggots like you that encourage people to kill queers and to not feel overly guilty about it.

>Is there any way for a fantasy setting to feature LGBT characters without it descending into a /pol/ vs The SJW Boogyman shitshow?
Yes.
>Will it not work in practice?
Also likely yes.

> Includes Sacred Order of Lesbians
> asks if that's a bad thing
What?

Fifth greentext line implies liches are present, that there was a lich plot hook was there clear and present, but selectively ignored.

Of course the poster isn't here to clarify, so we have only the image to work off of. Certainly seems stated enough: clear and present evil forces are working towards a goal that's, in setting, never anything but nefarious.

Why do you keep making these shitty /pol/ tier threads.

>can't tell if like or despise.

Or the supposed DM is a lying crook who made it out as if he were being obvious but probably only mentioned it once in an early session and never touched on it again.

>Will it not work in practice?

Depends on your friend group. I've got mostly chill people, and am good at vetting problem players. Frankly if it's going to fall apart, the hill it's going to die on isn't that one. It's probably going to die on scheduling conflicts than in-character drama.

Depends on the setting.

It'd be a lot easier to do it in Planescape than in, for example, Greyhawk. Also, gay adventurers feels better to me than gay sedentists.

No, not really.
With gay being an unnatural state, people will pursue a reason for it being. And unlike other bizarre character traits, there are few reasons for making a character gay other than a) you're gay, b) it's a fetish thing, or c) you're a hyper lib-shit.
Even if none of those three explanations are true, they're generally what people will believe even if you tell them otherwise simply because they're the most rational reasons.
That said, have you considered playing with some SJWs? They'd have no problem with you making characters gay, they'd actively encourage it even.

Could be. Could be it was made up and none of it ever happened. We aren't exactly present with the poster to ask for clarification. Of course, we could check the archives and see if someone asked that very question in the thread.

Yes. Could you explain why you believe that this can't be done?

>Be gay irl
>Plays as a straight guy
Ummm, no?

Stop trying to turn Veeky Forums into /co/mblr. You fags ruined that board, stop trying to ruin this one.

Maybe the /pol/ boogeyman only exists in your head.

Since, again, the players were surprised and assuming the players weren't absolutely obtuse, I'm more inclined to believe that the self-seeking DM did not offer up any hints at all so that he could drop the bomb on them and feel clever for it, rather than that players ignored hints in a campaign that probably would have gone on for a long time. If, indeed, it ever happened at all.

Back to /pol/ you go

Without shoving it down their throats.

>self-seeking
I meant "self-serving."

Slaanesh is a god of excess. Human homosexuality is perefectly fine by the Imperial as a whole, who wouldn't not give a fuck if it were any sort of issue. There's a lesbian couple in the Cain books iirc and nothing I've heard suggests that anyone really gives a fuck about it.

However like all things thatt the Imperium as a whole doesn't give a fuck about, legality depends on the planet, and laws can be gotten around by being too important or working for someone who is too important to give a fuck what some backwater shithole plant thinks.

No, that's where you and your political pushing belong.

You mean, where the fuck are the mods?
These /lgbt/ threads have a containment board for a reason, and this is easily the cringiest of the last several that these guys have been spamming recently.

>My character is a mercenary who lost his wife and childr--
>"WOW why are you shoving your character's sexuality in our faces?"

Obviously this has probably never happened. But you can bet it has when "wife and children" was "partner" or something instead.

Why would the imperium tolerate homosexuality?
They need people to fuck as much as they can to produce more workers and soldiers.

They do that enough on their own already, and those that are gay aren't going to be. The Imperium isn't the Tau where they have mates selected for them for optimal selective breeding. You aren't a space commie, are you, user? Looking a little blue there, comrade citizen?

It seems to me like they have an overpopulation problem as it is.

At the very least the Hivewords house more people then the Imperium will ever make use of.

Get the fuck back to /lgbt/ or /co/mblr or whatever other containment board you came from.

Stop being a stupid faggot and trying to equate homosexuality with heterosexuality.

It's more like saying
>My character is a mercenary who enjoys fucking sheep-
>"WOW why are you shoving your character's weird fetishes in our faces?"

Homosexuality is just a fetish that leftists are trying to promote into something else, to the point where they're hoping to use language to disguise what they're talking about. They say love when they mean sex, equality when they're talking about special privileges, and orientation when they're just talking about a fetish.

It's silly to even bother to use their terms.

Probably because heterosexuality is the natural state. Exclusive homosexuality is a biological dead-end and therefore considered unnatural.
And before anyone touts that shitty "but these animals can be gay" arguments, no they are not, some animals are bisexual, like giraffes, but never exclusively gay. If an animal were to be exclusively gay, it would be some kind of defect.
So basically, if you want your character to make sense in the setting, assuming standard fantasy fair, and you still want them to fuck the same sex in the ass because that's your fetish, then make them bi. History is filled with bisexuals, but not homosexuals.

This. Humans fuck at such a massive rate as it is the Imperium doesn't NEED more people.

Also, the Imperium - for all it's zealousness - is pretty much beyond our modern civil issues. Fighting over trivial things like sexuality and skin color pales when there are people who shoot lightning from their eyes and can sprout tentacle arms.

You could always just impress the excess into the guard and ship them off as cannon fodder in some Emperor-forsaken alien battlefield. Maybe they even kill some of mankind's enemies while they're at it?

Which makes me wonder.. The Arbites often have arrest quotas, and those people are often shipped off to penal legions. Could be they fight overpopulation in just that manner, by rounding up the worst of them and sending them off to fight the enemies of mankind.